Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "GRAYSKULL" (He-Man movie) lands a new writer

I can’t believe people are still talking about the Adam/Iraq rubbish. Justin Marks cleared that up in November 2007. Also, all the reviews of his script state, quite clearly, that it’s based entirely on Eternia throughout. What I want to know is are they throwing out Marks’ script and starting afresh, or is this new writer just going to write another draft of Marks’ same script?

Also, and this just makes me scratch my head, Variety broke yet another story today stating that John Stevenson has signed on to direct another film. That’s three films, including He-Man, he’s now attached to direct. Has he become the new Guillermo del Toro or something? Its gonna come down to him just doing the one, or none at all. I'm sure of it.

Heroic Warrior
    Krueger, please note that I already pointed out that Marks dispelled that soldier rumor in a ToyFare magazine interview in 2007 as well.

Again, I think the writer just did some searches and he found that false, dated, and old synopsis and didn't do any actual research.

But people were also attributing that plot to Rifkin's script which isn't true either.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    "Skeletor has raised a technological army and is bent on eradicating magic."

Hollywood are gonna mess this up just as badly as they did Transformers and are messing up GI Joe.

Do NOt get your hopes up. As a Transfan and GI Joe fan, I've been crushed twice and wouldn't trust the idiots in Hollywood with a potato gun...
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

I liked what I heard about the Marks' draft. It was like the plot of the Lion King combined with MOTU--the basic story and the motivation of the characters was excellent. Bottom line--It was better than the 1987 Dolph fest with asthma 'the' beastman. That movie is hilariously bad. I love it and hate it at the same time. Personally, I think the 2002 series was the best take on he-man. I was sad to see it cancelled. It perfectly balanced the inherent cheesiness of the source material with some genuinely good ideas and good storytelling. There is a lot of great stuff there.

This news is just so bad, and I hope--as usual that the people reporting this news really have no idea at all what they are reporting and it is mostly inaccurate:

"Warners sees the big-screen version as a gritty fantasy and reimagines Adam as a soldier who sets off to find his destiny, happening upon the magical world of Eternia. There, Skeletor has raised a technological army and is bent on eradicating magic."

Hey guys--the source of Skeletor's powers IS magic???!!!! Way to totally miss the point of the story and ruin a timeless, classic character!

This would be like making Rambo 5 and making John Rambo an anti-gun lobbyist--Rambo loves guns. His audience loves Rambo because he is macho and loves guns, and uses them to shoot people. Everyone knows Rambo needs 50 Cal machine guns to kill an entire Burmese army in a cascade of blood guts and macho ecstacy.

Give the fans what they want. Don't assume that you know better--because you don't. Just use what works.

If I keep seeing stuff like this, I'm going to get off my butt and enter a screenwriting comp. They are practically giving these assignments away. Alex Tse got to work on Watchmen and I think that was his first go as well.

I don't know what any of these people are thinking. The writing is the most important part of this process--DO IT RIGHT.
    FISTO'S BACK, BABY!

I think we all can agree we fans get upset about what is yet to come with a movie based on one of our favorite superheroes that moment the word "re-imagined" is used. From there it just snowballs it a huge cesspool of negativity. I'll just pack my own ice on by saying I don't like 75-95% of what I've read the movie is supposed to be from any of the people who have supposedly been attached to it. Furthermore, until I actually see a printed up movie title like we have with Marvel's future summer releases a production photo, I'm positive this movie won't happen.

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    Okay this whole soldier Adam against a technological Skeletor is ancient and outdated info that journalists out of the loop continue to report. In fact you can probably find that exact synopsis in 3 year old articles when the film was with Fox and John Woo. None of this was in Marks' script and being that the "soldier Adam" story is from a treatment produced for Fox I doubt very seriously anyone at WB ever gave that plot any consideration. The Marks script (which IMO is pretty faithful to the source material) is being rewritten hopefully by a more capable writer. If they keep the basic structure and plot but fix the dialog and plotholes (and maybe refrain from killing off so many characters senselessly) I think they'll have an excellent script.
    Check out my various dinosaur sculptures: http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...re-in-progress

Quote Originally Posted by Fist Fisto View Post
    This would be like making Rambo 5 and making John Rambo an anti-gun lobbyist

Or turning Jeannie into the Second Coming of Xena: Warrior Princess.

(Gurinder Chadha tried to do exactly that. )
    Last edited by Mirage; May 16, 2009 at 08:14pm.

Does anyone have a link to the first draft? Or are we only going on reviews of the script?

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by toddsayshi View Post
    Does anyone have a link to the first draft? Or are we only going on reviews of the script?
    Just going on reviews. As I recall there was on on LatinoReview at one point, as well as at least 2 site members who read it and reviewed it directly (Ted675 and TheVileOne).

Heroic Warrior
    Marks script was NOT faithful. It was simply less unfaithful than than the soldier/skeletor eradicating magic idea.

-CM Punk

Lets just hope that this article was based on what Justin Marks was doing!

This craic about Skeletor eradicating magic is a big lump of arse man!!
    Straying from source is one thing, totally changing it from the source totally not cool.

Don't bother calling it Masters of the Universe if you are gonna ignore what made MOTU on the map in the first place, magic and science combined!!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Heroic Warrior
    Skeletor wasn't trying to eradicate all magic in the Marks script.

-CM Punk

Was he not?
    I just remember the same sort of plot outline in the articles when we first heard that a Justin Marks was onboard!
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    Was he not?
    I just remember the same sort of plot outline in the articles when we first heard that a Justin Marks was onboard!
    That’s the weird thing. That synopsis about Skeletor wanting to eradicate magic and Adam being a soldier is a mystery. No one knows where it came from. One things for sure, though, it sure wasn’t Justin Marks’ script, as the TheVileOne has said.

On the other hand, maybe that was WB and Marks’ original idea? I don’t know if anyone remembers, but IESB ran a story way before Justin Marks gave that famous interview stating that Eternia was to be rewritten as a kingdom already on Earth, but hidden (basically, just like Skull Island). Maybe that was the original idea and that synopsis that Variety ran came from that? Maybe Marks and WB saw the s#it-storm it caused and changed their plan?

EDIT - here's the original article. Don't get worried, this was proven to be far from the thruth......or was it?:

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option...3173&Itemid=99

Heroic Warrior
    Was he not?
    No he was trying to combine both power swords so Eternians would stop calling him a douche.

-CM Punk

It was reported in Empire yesterday too and every comment on there is saying the exact same. That this sounds like a BS script and sounds even worse than the 87 movie!!

I will be annoyed as hell if this soldier story goes through! It's not MOTU!!
    www.eamonart.com

Heroic Warrior

That's exactly what I'm thinking, there is no good reason to change any core points in motu, not in mythos or in character desing. If they want to make everything different in movie, and change things that are base of every incarnation of motu, why even make it MOTU movie? In my mind MOTU is so different from any scifi/fantasy out there, so why change things to make it less original? Motu have everything needed to become next star wars/lotr, mainly cos it has great and original characters, and great mix of medieval fantasy and scifi.

Co-Creator of the NV
    It was reported in Empire yesterday too and every comment on there is saying the exact same. That this sounds like a BS script and sounds even worse than the 87 movie!!

These magazines tend to regurgitate the same information ad nauseum and don't look to get confirmations. This is an old rumor. It was created before I even joined the org. Since then we've had the Marks script that was nothing like this, and reportedly neither was the Rifkin script. Until Warner Bros or Mattel comes out and makes a press release of their own regarding the matter, don't put too much in what these others are saying.

I don't know why a lot of people are up in arms about this. This sounds, in no shape or form, like Marks' script, which is the script they're working off. It’s also nothing to do with this new draft that is being written, as the new writer is also working off Marks' script, or so I’m led to believe. Regardless, even if this new writer is completely starting from scratch, that synopsis has been around since Variety first published it in May 2007. So, unless they’re time readers and could see where this new writer was going to take He-Man in the future, I don’t think there’s any truth to it.

I must admit, though, I'm genuinely curious as to how it originally came about. Perhaps my post above has some credibility to it?

I fore one think this atical is a fake . Also we have not heard any word from mattle or warner about this so called "Writer change" I say we let mattle do there thing and let them get back to us with some offical updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    "Skeletor has raised a technological army and is bent on eradicating magic."

Hollywood are gonna mess this up just as badly as they did Transformers and are messing up GI Joe.

Do NOt get your hopes up. As a Transfan and GI Joe fan, I've been crushed twice and wouldn't trust the idiots in Hollywood with a potato gun...
    Oh boy. Now I'm really starting to worry.

I have not been thrilled with the people who've had their hands on this project, and these rumors are not settling well with me. Adam a soldier in Iraq? I think I'm going to vomit. Skeletor wants to destroy all magic? There's that queasy feeling again...

As a huge TF fan, I can honestly say my only real peeve about the TF movies are the robot designs. I can forgive alot of the other stuff, but I am not impressed with the character designs, but then again, I'm only a huge G1 fan.

As for GI Joe, its already looking like they really messed this one up. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but with Channing Tatum, Dennis Quaid and the very, very unusual choice of Joseph Gordon-Levitt for Cobra Commander... I'm just plain confused.

I'm sad that you feel as I do regarding how these properties have been handled.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimoore View Post
    I fore one think this atical is a fake . Also we have not heard any word from mattle or warner about this so called "Writer change" I say we let mattle do there thing and let them get back to us with some offical updates.
    It was reported by Hollywood Reporter and Variety, not some bogus movie news website.

It’s legit.

basic premise of MOTU

I see the basic idea of MOTU as:

1.Greyskull - place of awesome power/knowledge/magic/treasures/mystery
    2.Skeletor - evil (guy, demo, combo) trying to enter Greyskull
    3.He-Man - defender of Greyskull
    4.Eternia - magical planet where this kind of stuff can "realistically" happen.

There's a few extras, may be Skeletor has a half/sword/key that is somehow related to He-Man's (& allowing entrance into Greyskull - something He-Man couldn't do either without both halves). May be there is some sort of balance between good and evil that must be maintained (hence Zodac and giving two swords/keys to two opposing forces).

Everything else is extra. If the movie can't at least keep the basics (1-4) it'll be fatally flawed.
    Last edited by Eternian Poet; May 20, 2009 at 12:56pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Once again, Empire did the same thing just about every internet site does copy the source story from the trades with FAULTY FALSE information and post it as their own.

The media spreads a lot of misinformation this way. They in fact spread misinformation as fact, sort of like all the BS stories for Californians who voted down the BS props being called "confused" and "voter fatigued" by the media. The media and publications who supported the props and were telling people to vote yes on the props.

-CM Punk

Calling the movie 'Grayskull' on 'imdb-pro' smacks of a Lucasian/Tolkeinian saga title, no?
    "This is a rather shameless promotion"

"Worked on me!"

"Me too!"