Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: "GRAYSKULL" (He-Man movie) lands a new writer

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    Maybe Mattel had left overs from the SOTS movie and sent them out to theatres when the were showing MOTU '87 also. That is a cool fact to find out!

I can remember being a little freaked out by MOTU '87 because He-Man was a cartoon and now all of a sudden I am looking at a half-dressed guy on the big screen.
    Yeah, I bet they were left over stock. Hell, maybe they were even left over at that theater. I tend to think that SOTS wasn't playing near me though as my parents would have taken me to see it.

My dad even knew that we had to stay after the credits for something, he was quite up to date on the movie lol.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Yeah, I bet they were left over stock. Hell, maybe they were even left over at that theater. I tend to think that SOTS wasn't playing near me though as my parents would have taken me to see it.

My dad even knew that we had to stay after the credits for something, he was quite up to date on the movie lol.
    Good Dad!

I don't think we stayed through the credits.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by fantombe View Post

That picture is hilarious.

Ironically though (and quite frighteningly if you think about it), given the special effects technology at the time, if they didn't approach the previous movie in the intelligent way they did, and instead through in characters like Battlecat, or Orko, or whatever to try to please people, we would have had a movie that looked almost exactly like that!

Scary stuff...
    I'm not sure what your point is.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    I'm not sure what your point is.
    The picture has a load of kids made of rubber. In '87, that was about the extent of creature effects technology. That, puppets, and stop motion animation.

If they hadn't chosen the characters they were going to use carefully so they only had characters they could make look as realistic (under the circumstances) as possible, and just tried to get in as many favourites as they can, the movie would have been littered with rubber caricatures, puppets, and jerky animated models with a nice white outline as they were superimposed.

In a nutshell, it would have looked just like the Garbage Pail Kids photo!

Scary thought.

Quote Originally Posted by fantombe View Post
    The picture has a load of kids made of rubber. In '87, that was about the extent of creature effects technology. That, puppets, and stop motion animation.

If they hadn't chosen the characters they were going to use carefully so they only had characters they could make look as realistic (under the circumstances) as possible, and just tried to get in as many favourites as they can, the movie would have been littered with rubber caricatures, puppets, and jerky animated models with a nice white outline as they were superimposed.

In a nutshell, it would have looked just like the Garbage Pail Kids photo!

Scary thought.
    If George Lucas could do convincing Rancors and Tauntauns and Hutts and all other sorts of creatures with nothing more then puppets, stop motion, and rubber masks, i think they could have succesfully done battlecat or whoever without looking like the GPK movie!

This is not to say i don't enjoy the original MOTU movie for it is, just that special effect technology of the time is not a convincing excuse for some of the problems people had with it.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tycho View Post
    If George Lucas could do convincing Rancors and Tauntauns and Hutts and all other sorts of creatures with nothing more then puppets, stop motion, and rubber masks, i think they could have succesfully done battlecat or whoever without looking like the GPK movie!

This is not to say i don't enjoy the original MOTU movie for it is, just that special effect technology of the time is not a convincing excuse for some of the problems people had with it.
    Certainly, if they had quadrupled the budget, and had the same resources available that Lucas had with a special effects company that he owned himself, and was pretty much purpose built with the sole intention of making Star Wars, then it could have been very different. Still not great, because "convincing" is probably a bit of a stretch even with all of those things, but certainly much better than the more likely outcome.

Like I said, "under the circumstances", i.e. the special effects technology at the time available to a small movie company like Canon, with a very small budget to realise those effects on top of all the other bills that come with making a movie, it could have looked exactly like that image!

It's not about what can be done, but what can be done under the circumstances made available. In '87, we had the technology to build vehicles that flew into space. My circumstances however only allowed me access to technology that had 2 wheels and pedals. You can't criticise a company for working within their means.

Needs To Be Big

The only way it will work is if it is a serious epic... most likely a trilogy. It should have the same tone as Lord Of The Rings, but with a little Star Wars mixed in. CGI should be used for Orko, Battlecat and Skeletor's face. Two different actors should play Adam and He-Man, but they should look very similar in the face.
    The first 1/3 of the 1st movie should tell the backstory of Eternia, King Grayskull, Teela Na (The Sorceress), Hordak, and then Randor and Keldor. The rest of the movie should be Skeletor's rise & Adam's story of rejecting his destiny, losing the sword, recovering the sword and finally changing into He-Man the first time near the end of the movie.
    If this isnt taken serious and isnt treated like a huge epic, it will fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    The only way it will work is if it is a serious epic... most likely a trilogy.
    In one interview with Justin Marks in ToyFare, he said he and the guys over at Warner Bros. talked their way through 3 movies.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Dynasty Masters Universe DynastyMasters's Avatar
    I want the new movie to be called Masters of the Universe!
    DYNASTY AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE
    http://www.dynastyandthemastersofthe...e.blogspot.com

Heroic Warrior BrandnChicagoHorde's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    In one interview with Justin Marks in ToyFare, he said he and the guys over at Warner Bros. talked their way through 3 movies.
    I sure hope Marks' reign of terror is over before it even begins. I read his script and, while it was fun to see a lot of the characters, the story was terrible and Skeletor was about as interesting as a 2x4. There really wasn't a lot of potential in that script.

I'd like to see a page 1 re-write from someone at Columbia.
    The littlest member of the Chicago Horde with the Dirtiest Mouth!

Look at What I'm Selling! Please Feel Free to PM Offers:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=181471

Trader Reviews:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=175510

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandnChicagoHorde View Post
    I sure hope Marks' reign of terror is over before it even begins. I read his script and, while it was fun to see a lot of the characters, the story was terrible and Skeletor was about as interesting as a 2x4. There really wasn't a lot of potential in that script.

I'd like to see a page 1 re-write from someone at Columbia.
    New studio and new producing team pretty much means they are wiping the slate clean and starting from scratch.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    New studio and new producing team pretty much means they are wiping the slate clean and starting from scratch.
    I sure as Hell hope so! Justin Marks is the EeeUwe Boll of writing! Eeewww!

Grayskull (2011)

Hi folks,
    Saw this on the net !

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427340/
    http://www.movieweb.com/movie/grayskull

Good name for the upcoming movie ? Sounds good to me

Sorry, not happening in 2011 and it is also no longer called Grayskull. Thatís what it was called when Warner Brothers held the rights, but they donít have them anymore. Sony have the rights now, and the new writer has said that, for the moment at least, the new script is just called Masters of the Universe. Still, we donít when itís coming out, or even if itís getting made at all. I hope Sony do greenlight it. At the moment, though, all we know is that the writers of Predators are writing the script.

Still, I think itís safe to say that weíre not going to be seeing a MOTU film anytime before 2013.

Thanks for the heads-up.

No problem.

Just for the future, though, don’t taken anything from IMDB seriously, especially not if it hasn’t been confirmed beforehand. Some of the best movie news websites I can think of are comingsoon.net, aintitcoolnews.com, latinoreview.com and slashfilm.com. They're all pretty trustworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Sorry, not happening in 2011 and it is also no longer called Grayskull. That’s what it was called when Warner Brothers held the rights, but they don’t have them anymore. Sony have the rights now, and the new writer has said that, for the moment at least, the new script is just called Masters of the Universe. Still, we don’t when it’s coming out, or even if it’s getting made at all. I hope Sony do greenlight it. At the moment, though, all we know is that the writers of Predators are writing the script.

Still, I think it’s safe to say that we’re not going to be seeing a MOTU film anytime before 2013.
    Oh how your prophecy came true...

Oh how your prophecy came true...
    Well, I do know things……not! Just an educated guess. These kinds of films take ages to see the light of day. It’s almost been ten years since the first major studio obtained the rights to make a MOTU film. That was FOX. Still, I really do believe that this time it will be a case of third time lucky. Films that bounce from studio to studio with the severity that MOTU has always get made eventually. I think this time it will.

Release date? Well, as of now, I’ll put my life savings on 2015.

I think we will hear news in March.

And I also think if Gi joe works well... get ready for March / April 2015.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

2015 = sure bet of success when your pitting the Power of Grayskull up against The Force! (I'm being sarcastic, of course. Remember Star Wars VII is released 2015.)
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

Quote Originally Posted by heavy-eternium View Post
    I think we will hear news in March.

And I also think if Gi joe works well... get ready for March / April 2015.
    GI Joe doing well is going to be key if this movie gets made with Chu.

Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    2015 = sure bet of success when your pitting the Power of Grayskull up against The Force! (I'm being sarcastic, of course. Remember Star Wars VII is released 2015.)
    Not really. I mean, yes, if MOTU get's released between The Avengers 2 and Star Wars, then yes, it’s DOA. I'm sure Sony will factor that in. I think an April release is the best bet. April is the new May. MOTU could ride off the anticipation for The Avengers. If not then, then late March could do the trick.

- - - Updated - - -

GI Joe doing well is going to be key if this movie gets made with Chu.
    Definitely. If GI Joe does well I will expecting an announcement about a release date soon after.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Not really. I mean, yes, if MOTU get's released between The Avengers 2 and Star Wars, then yes, itís DOA. I'm sure Sony will factor that in. I think an April release is the best bet. April is the new May. MOTU could ride off the anticipation for The Avengers. If not then, then late March could do the trick.

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely. If GI Joe does well I will expecting an announcement about a release date soon after.
    Question: if the first two G.I. Joe films had no bearing on the development & release of a MOTU film, why would the performance of the third installment in the G.I. Joe series be the difference-maker?

Quote Originally Posted by mozartpc27 View Post
    Question: if the first two G.I. Joe films had no bearing on the development & release of a MOTU film, why would the performance of the third installment in the G.I. Joe series be the difference-maker?
    This is only the second GI Joe film, there is no third film. GI Joe: Retaliation comes out in March. The reason why it will have a bearing on whether or not a MOTU film sees the light of day anytime soon is because the director who directed GI Joe 2 is also directing the MOTU movie for Sony Pictures. That is Jon Chu. If GI Joe 2 flops and isn't received very well, I doubt very much that Sony Pictures are going to go ahead with MOTU with Jon Chu as director. If it is a success, though, I think Sony will go ahead with it with Jon Chu at the helm.

I think retaliation will be successful, the ninja scene is a strong weapon promotional, plus Bruce Willis, The Rock and Tattum in the cast.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG