Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "GRAYSKULL" (He-Man movie) lands a new writer

I am hoping he drops the Death Of King Randor (Have him captured instead) and adds the Transformation.

They could still have a part of the story where Adam has to train a bit to be worthy of the Power from the Sword (Like Luke in Star Wars), not for years where he becomes an adult, but rather a short time, Then he gets the sword and transforms. I think Sorceress should be the one who trians him not Zodac.

Quote Originally Posted by torbjorge View Post
    STAY with the original story line.....FFS dont mess this up!
    I really hope someone with influence read these posts! Messing up the epic tale that worked for nearly 30 years...i really dont see the respect in that!

COMEON HOLLYWOOD.....use your heads!
    See with the story that we have had for 30 years (for the most part0 it can still be tweaked and made more serious give it a strong cohesive story, bring this world to life and make it a true epic, that doesn't mean turning it on it's ear and making it a bloodbath etc. it just means making the stakes more serious, the villains HAVE to be evil and threatening, the heroes lives HAVE to be in peril.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptile View Post
    I am hoping he drops the Death Of King Randor (Have him captured instead) and adds the Transformation.

They could still have a part of the story where Adam has to train a bit to be worthy of the Power from the Sword (Like Luke in Star Wars), not for years where he becomes an adult, but rather a short time, Then he gets the sword and transforms. I think Sorceress should be the one who trians him not Zodac.
    I too hope Randor doesn't die. to me that short changes the sequels. I don't want to see King He-Man in part 2. I prefer Zodak training him though, it gives Zodak a purpose in the movie-verse that I rather like. and it fits the character IMO.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Co-Creator of the NV
    It will be interesting to see what the new draft ends up looking like.

I hope they keep Zodac as Adam's trainer. The Randor death I don't mind, but I'd rather it happen in a later movie.

I was fine with the first script. And I just saw Panda and hated it. Could it be any more dull?

It will be interesting to see what a no name does. hmmm. If they were going for no one one of us could have written the bloody thing.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

I hope this isnít a sign that He-Manís entered development hell again. Iím sick to death of it. If someone wants to make the film, then bloody make it already. On the other hand this could be a completely positive move which means that itís still moving forward.

The fact that heís a no-name can mean one of two things: he may blow everyone away with his talent, or his script may stink. I do find it genuinely shocking that WB have tapped an almost-novice to write what we are led to believe is going to be a tent-pole film. Strange. They must have a lot of faith in him.

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    The fact that heís a no-name can mean one of two things: he may blow everyone away with his talent, or his script may stink. I do find it genuinely shocking that WB have tapped an almost-novice to write what we are led to believe is going to be a tent-pole film. Strange. They must have a lot of faith in him.
    From the article it seems like they liked what he did with that other script, but you need to remember that he's just doing another draft. There's no reason to think there won't be other guys doing other rewrites after the fact.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are a number of drafts between now and completion.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I hope this isnít a sign that He-Manís entered development hell again. Iím sick to death of it. If someone wants to make the film, then bloody make it already. On the other hand this could be a completely positive move which means that itís still moving forward.

No it's a sign that there is PROGRESS, they are fixinf up the script (in their eyes) to get it ready for shooting, this is good news for the development, and yeah he's a newbie but as Darth said
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    From the article it seems like they liked what he did with that other script, but you need to remember that he's just doing another draft. There's no reason to think there won't be other guys doing other rewrites after the fact.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are a number of drafts between now and completion.
    exactly, as a newbie this gives him more experience but at the same time he isn't doing this thing from scratch. they like what he did with his original story so now they are seeing if he can add his touch to thisone. if they don't like it then it's on to another writer.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Well, I'm at least happy to hear some news on the film
    No sacrifice is for nothing, if it helps other people. - He-Man
    Episode: Eye of the beholder

Market place feedback:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ht=mosquitor87

Member of the Arizona Mazters!

About time for some news. I just hope we get a respective film
    that sticks to the original roots.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by baronindy View Post
    I just hope this dosen't turn into a piece of crap like Dragon Ball. Now that sucked IMO. I liked the first Masters movie but watching it now I have to laugh at it. I hope it stays as far away from Earth as possible and stays where it belongs Eternia.
    JD

I was thinking EXACTLY about the Dragon Ball Crap. lol

I think the new MOTU movie will be like DB. Horrible! Skeletor eradicating magic relying more on TECHNOLOGY??? sounds HORRIBLE!

Why bother making the movie???

It's just bad PR for MOTU. As MOTU fan, I'm furious. I don't care if it's not the FINAL DRAFT. The fact that this is ONE of the Rough Drafts scares the hell out of me.

Crappy idiot writers.

Skeletor's power IS MAGIC! and they're taking that part of him out????

Heroic Warrior
    A lot of mis-truths are being posted in here.

I've read the Adam Rifkin script. And there is no wandering soldier in Iraq who falls into Eternia business.

We don't know the direction of the new script.

The Marks script was downright terrible. The Rifkin script was extremely flawed. However, the perception and plot people in this thread are debating about with Rifkin is flagrantly false and not true.

I'm glad they've got a new writer, but I hope he and Stevenson know what they are doing and will put the story on the right path.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

I saw the article here http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=8332 and just sighed. I hope you guys are right about it not being true. Adam being a soldier? He's not! He's a prince who transforms into He-man. He was born on eternia. Crazy crap script idea. Please don't ruin He-Man! No reimagination! No one wants that.
    Brian

Photos and video of my massive collection! Click here!

Most wanted: 200x Snake Men-carded Roboto, vintage Spinnerella and Netossa. Also: Hook 'Em Flogg's weapon and Missile Armor Flipshot's backpack.

at least we finally get some news
    ya there are core elements that appear in every canon but there are to many different story lines, each incarnation of MOTU has something that is different.
    so when i see people saying "dont revamp anything use the source material" i gotta ask what source are you a fan of?
    i for one love the ORIGINAL MOTU , no prince adam, barbarian out of the jungle to protect the world, living in a modest house near the moutians
    but other people like filmation, and others think it should be like 200X.
    so there does have to be some re-imagination going on to make it serious and to the big screen.
    but i DO hope they make a movie that we ALL will like 80-90% of.
    cant please us all
    Eternian Beastmaster

Heroic Warrior
    I believe the HR reporter synopsis is either false or based on a dated synopsis. But if that is the direction Mattel and WB want to go in, sucks to be them.

However, that synopsis did not come from the Rifkin script or the Marks script for that matter.

-CM Punk

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    I'm a bit puzzled... if it didn't come from the Rifkin-script... then where DID it come from??

Maybe that's the new direction they want to take the film in, and subsequent writers have been instructed to go with it.

I'm inclined to believe this is the case if these elements didn't come from either the Marks or Rifkin scripts, but then again I don't know how these things work.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    The earth soldier/techno Skeletor erdaicating magic FIRST came out way back in 2007 when the Warner Bros deal was announced - since then the rumour has been denied. It seems that all the reports are just re-hashing this story. I'd be VERY suprised if they are going back to this idea - along with Mattel too

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar

re-invision

this is exactly what is wrong with execs.

look at wolverine for example.

they let some guys come in, sit around a table, and look at the source material, and make up their own crap!

(pitcure around the table):

guy one: you know, i just read that deadpool has a healing ability like wolverines....

guy two: yeah, he likes to use swords though...
    guy one: well... you konw what. i just had the coolest idea ever. what if HE HAD SWORDS INSIDE of his arms!!!! man i am brilliant. it will look so cool....

that is why you take the directors from LOTR and Narnia..

those guys have LOVED the source material, and have nothing but respect for it. those are the guys that wb needs to get for this project. and we all know that there are many of them out there.

the fact that adam is a PRINCE, and young, almost nose up-ish is part of why he is so cool as he-man, its a totally different view of the world he gets.

i dont like the training just because it makes it TOO cliche, like all of the other meidevil stuff. the only training that adam should get is when he is a young kid, from his father, and duncan.

maybe teela is his older sparing partner.

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    seriously the need to get rid of 90% of the marks script, just keep the seriously tone and the maturity of it
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

I'd be VERY suprised if they are going back to this idea - along with Mattel too[/QUOTE]

Ditto!
    I'm a musician, and if you'd please check out my music, I'd be so grateful. Like it on facebook here:
    www.facebook.com/peterdamoremusic

Heroic Warrior
    Well, from what I was able to read in this forum about the new script, I don't think I will even want to watch the movie !

The script alone is definitely worse than that of the 80's movie with Dolph Lundgren (which was not very bad, but not very good either) !

He-Man being a soldier during the war in Irak ? What's that piece of crap ? It's a movie about heroic fantasy, a movie that needs respect regarding the MOTU roots, for God's sake, not another governmental Irak war propaganda kind of s!!t !

There are only 2 possibilities for He-man, regarding the sources :

1) He-Man is a barbarian who's given the powers of Grayskull

2) Prince Adam is an Eternian who gets the power to turn into He-Man, the most powerful man in the universe !

Skeletor without magic and relying only on technology !? Man, that STINKS !

The scripts seem to be real bad, so far, IF what we heard is true.

I'm already scared of what they could do with the costumes...

Let's face it : MOTU is not a "classic" of anglo-saxon litterature, unlike Narnia or Lord of the Rings. It's not a blockbuster-kind of movie, with a gigantic budget. So we can expect some big disappointment, I'm afraid.

Maybe an animated movie, nicely done, might have been a better idea for a new movie...

Heroic Warrior
    I have no idea where the soldier in Iraq story came from. I recall Justin Marks responding to those rumors in a ToyFare interview in 2007, and I think he said they weren't true.

However, there's nothing close to that in the Rifkin script. Rifkin's script is entirely set in Eternia.

However, this is another instance of shady reporting by the media and no one calling the media to task.

As an entertainment reporter, it annoys me to no end how people give the media a free pass to report garbage and things that aren't true and are inaccurate and no one calls them on it.

My guess is the hack writer of the blurb did an IMDB or google search, and that's the best synopsis he/she could come up with while knowing little about He-Man and not checking the interviews or their facts like I would.

-CM Punk

This is the part I like...

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Reporter
    Daugherty wrote the script -- a character-driven psychological thriller about two mortal enemies on a hunting trip to the death
    Makes me think about the relationship between our favorite Duo!
    Ė No comment.

Well since Evan Daugherty is an unknown quantity I'm going to be cautiously optimistic. Marks wrote the Chun-Li script, which was awkward and awful, so anything that moves away from his work is a positive. I just hope "latest draft" means dropping everything Marks wrote and starting fresh. Please make it exciting, fresh, and inspired Hollywood! Search out unique and talented concept artists, writers, cinematographers, invest creatively on screen, don't settle for a mediocre cash grab. You have the power!

Heroic Warrior
    A fresh vision would be nice and basically wiping the slate clean of Rifkin and Marks. I just hope Stevenson and Daugherty don't do something more ridiculous and outlandish like the rumored presence.

We don't need another 1987 and we don't need another Dragonball Evolution.

-CM Punk