Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: "GRAYSKULL" (He-Man movie) lands a new writer

Quote Originally Posted by klocket View Post
    Iin fact, they already started the hollywood transformation by calling it "Grayskull"

Can you expand on that? What's the film title got to do with anything?

Quote Originally Posted by fantombe View Post

Can you expand on that? What's the film title got to do with anything?
    sure, i am just saying they already changed something major by not calling it "Masters of The Universe."

which in turn is the first step in separating it from what it originally has been for 20+ years.

M.

sure, i am just saying they already changed something major by not calling it "Masters of The Universe."

which in turn is the first step in separating it from what it originally has been for 20+ years.

M.
    I bet you anything the final version will end up being called Masters of the Universe. I bet.

I am really surprised any of you are happy about this being made at all (possibly)...and that some of you think that hollywood cares what you want...case in point: Transformers and GI Joe...they don't care, THEY WILL RUIN this too, I promise...in fact, they already started the hollywood transformation by calling it "Grayskull"

So don't get your hopes up, i am not being pessimistic or negative just stating facts on hollywood's track record.

M.
    I'm with you in hating Transformers 1 & 2 and thinking G.I. Joe looks bad. Even though I want this movie to be called Masters Of The Universe, if it's called Grayskull but is closer to its source than those other 3 movies, I'll be happy. Hell, if it was as close to the MOTU that we're used to as the 1980's movie was(but with better acting and FX), I'd be happy.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

I am really surprised any of you are happy about this being made at all (possibly)...and that some of you think that hollywood cares what you want...case in point: Transformers and GI Joe...they don't care, THEY WILL RUIN this too, I promise...in fact, they already started the hollywood transformation by calling it "Grayskull"

So don't get your hopes up, i am not being pessimistic or negative just stating facts on hollywood's track record.

M.
    I'm VERY worried about how Masters Of The Universe will translate to the big screen. I didn't care for the 1987 version & I'm not a fan of how the other franchises you mentioned are being handled. I HATE how G.I.*JOE looks. I HATE the 1st 2 X-MEN movies so much & haven't watched the last 2. Hollywood strays SO FAR from the source material & it bugs me to no end.
    After X-MEN came out 10 years ago, I had hoped that Hollywood would never make a G.I.*JOE, Captain America, Masters Of The Universe or Hawkman movie. Well it's all happening except for Hawkman & I am SCARED!!!

I think Masters of The Universe may translate very well to the big screen if they surprise us by actually sticking closely to the source material and not Hollywood-ising the heck out of it it could be a fun popcorn movie. Tho I am still not sold on the title, Grayskull makes me think Tarzan (Grayskull - Graystoke - Tarzan)

as for G.I. Joe. I like the look of the trailers, definitely looks like my kind of film and luckily I have never seen or read anything to do with G.I. Joe in my entire life so nothing they do can spoil it for me so I am actually looking forward to it.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

M.
    Gotcha. I wouldn't worry too much, a movie's just a story, and story's have different titles.

As for the rest of your points, I come under the heading "fan" rather than "fanboy", so I'm not worried in the slightest. The source material has so much room for manoeuvre and variation over the years, they'd have to go a long way to screw it up.

Doesn't mean they wont of course, but I've not seen any 80's franchise movies lately that have done a bad job. GI Joe isn't out yet though, so I could be proved wrong. That'll take a while though since I'll be watching it on TV!

Heroic Warrior
    Yes, I want the original story line. I don't want Adam to be a soldier who somehow enters the world of Eternia to become He-Man and battle against skeletor who is bent on eradicating magic. That doesn't make any sense at all. Skeletor IS magic!

SIDE NOTE: I have to worry about Warner Bros. I heard they are wanting to re-imagine the Thundercats too to make them kids who front as a garage band. Some people should not be given the power that they have!
    Last edited by enlightenedbray; July 11, 2009 at 01:42am.

Quote Originally Posted by enlightenedbray View Post
    Yes, I want the original story line. I don't want Adam to be a soldier who somehow enters the world of Eternia to become He-Man and battle against skeletor who is bent on eradicating magic. That doesn't make any sense at all. Skeletor IS magic!

SIDE NOTE: I have to worry about Warner Bros. I heard they are wanting to re-imagine the Thundercats too to make them kids who front as a garage band. Some people should not be given the power that they have!
    Incredibly old news. Firstly, no one knows anything about WB’s proposed Thundercats film. Secondly, that idea about them being band members was for a proposed new cartoon series that thankfully never came to pass.

And the Adam/soldier thing is not true! They're working off the Marks script, which has nothing in common with that stupid synopsis.
    Last edited by Krueger; July 11, 2009 at 09:15pm.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I recently finished reading the script. My initial thoughts:

The dialogue is weak, and the plot is generic—so much so that the names of the characters could be substituted with others and it could be any other fantasy film.

There is no transformation sequence or physical transformation from Adam to He-Man. He-Man is simply Adam after he receives the Sword of Light.

Anyone with a gun can harm or kill another. In this sense, it is the gun that is powerful, not the person holding it. This is the case with the Sword of Light. The sword is powerful, not Adam. Adam is only powerful in so much as he wields the sword, something that anyone can do; whomever wields the Sword of Light is He-Man, and whomever wields the Sword of Darkness is Skeletor.

There is also no dual identity. It is commonly known that Adam is a descendant of King Grayskull and that he is He-Man.

I will post more later.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I recently finished reading the script. My initial thoughts:

The dialogue is weak, and the plot is generic—so much so that the names of the characters could be substituted with others and it could be any other fantasy film.

There is no transformation sequence or physical transformation from Adam to He-Man. He-Man is simply Adam after he receives the Sword of Light.

Anyone with a gun can harm or kill another. In this sense, it is the gun that is powerful, not the person holding it. This is the case with the Sword of Light. The sword is powerful, not Adam. Adam is only powerful in so much as he wields the sword, something that anyone can do; whomever wields the Sword of Light is He-Man, and whomever wields the Sword of Darkness is Skeletor.

There is also no dual identity. It is commonly known that Adam is a descendant of King Grayskull and that he is He-Man.

I will post more later.

Are you talking about the old script that I'm hoping they'll scrap now that Justin Marks is no longer attached(watch Street Fighter and you'll see why that's such good news)?

JOIN THE GROUP...

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Are you talking about the old script that I'm hoping they'll scrap now that Justin Marks is no longer attached(watch Street Fighter and you'll see why that's such good news)?
    I am talking about the Justin Marks script.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I like that aspect of Marks' script.

Not wild about ANYONE being He-Man or Skeletor because they hold a magic sword. But it's not far off from what we all grew up with. Adam wasn't anything special until he said the magic words. What if MAA used the sword, what if Merman got the sword... That sort of thing, it was never an issue before because it wasn't explored.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

You make a good point there Beana!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Adam wasn't anything special until he said the magic words. What if MAA used the sword, what if Merman got the sword... That sort of thing, it was never an issue before because it wasn't explored.
    Interesting questions, but Adam can be seen as special. He is a Prince (nobility are often thought to have special power/character, so much so that medieval Kings were thought to be able to heal wounds by "laying on hands"). He also has a strength of character that others don't - he is peace-loving, compassionate, and very smart. He can endure being seen as a coward or fool while leading a secret double-life. In essence, he has sacrificed himself, Adam, so that He-Man might operate safely.

There's lots of room for complexity/ambiguity here (explored in my fan-fic) - lots of ways to make Adam interesting and his mission somewhat painful and difficult (who'd care if it were easy!?). He is potentially the most interesting character because of his special qualities - no-one else is "pure" enough to weild the sword and enact the transformation. He-Man cannot manifest within a person who doesn't meet the high standards set to weild such a sword (at least, in my story).

Like trying to jam a round block in a square hole.

Which means if every Adam changes, fails to meet his high standards, He-Man will have to wait for some other rare person to take up the sword...
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

I think the fans make Adam more than he is.

Strip He-Man away from him, he's just a wealthy prince.
    But even at that not a very good one. We didn't get to see Adam before He-Man in Filmation, but if the DC comics were anything to go by, he was just a spoiled, lazy womanizer. In MYP he wasn't much more than a normal teenager that happened to be a prince. One could get the impression that he had been disappointing his parents for a very long time prior to him getting the sword.
    He wasn't extra smart, or extra peaceful in any way.
    He just happened to be a Prince. Rather boring honestly.

AFTER he became He-Man his inner character started to show through. But really many people or characters would do just as good a job if they had that responsibility to bear.

Take a lightsaber from a Jedi? Not nearly as cool.
    Same goes with Adam and his sword IMO.

Mind you again, this is all just my opinion. I've stated plenty of times my lack of any real caring for Prince Adam. I'm pretty sure my bias is bleeding through here a little bit.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw

oh yeah, Adam could be a lout, but then you have to wonder why he'd be chosen. If any random person would do, why not chose the town idiot or thug?

Seeing Adam as a Prince with a brain and a heart, disgusted by the violence and upheavel of his world, sad and feeling for those that suffer, makes him more interesting, more "deserving" (or heroic) and more tragic, should he fail.

In short, there's more at stake and some sense of fate.

Still, if Adam is just a lout and anyone can grab the sword, that also would have interesting consequences. Though it makes me wonder why Prince Lout would listen to the Sorceress and go through hell fighting evil...
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC

You bring up great points to be sure.

Really this argument just points back to the big "What if" moment of what if someone else could wield the power sword?

I've no doubts that Adam was destined for the sword. It points to the idea that there's a bigger picture for everyone. We all should live up to our potential. And he gets there, thanks to that sword and some genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    Warners sees the big-screen version as a gritty fantasy and reimagines Adam as a soldier who sets off to find his destiny, happening upon the magical world of Eternia. There, Skeletor has raised a technological army and is bent on eradicating magic.

I seriously hope this is not the case! Isn't this part of the story originally written by Adam rifkin, who wanted Adam to be a soldier wandering the dessert in Iraq who just stumbles throught a portal. It's seriously lame... but this rumour just won't die!
    Sounds horrible, and frankly, I'd go so far as to extend the Underline you added to include "gritty fantasy" as well, but I know most around here want it to be gritty.
    "I won Dungeons and Dragons! And it was advanced!!" -Pierce Hawthorne-

Kickin' It Old Skool! Alex The Kid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Poet View Post
    oh yeah, Adam could be a lout, but then you have to wonder why he'd be chosen. If any random person would do, why not chose the town idiot or thug?

Seeing Adam as a Prince with a brain and a heart, disgusted by the violence and upheavel of his world, sad and feeling for those that suffer, makes him more interesting, more "deserving" (or heroic) and more tragic, should he fail.

In short, there's more at stake and some sense of fate.

Still, if Adam is just a lout and anyone can grab the sword, that also would have interesting consequences. Though it makes me wonder why Prince Lout would listen to the Sorceress and go through hell fighting evil...
    Bottom line is, all of this has to be portrayed in the film for the audience to understand why he is in fact the chosen one.
    Otherwise it'll all be one big guessing game, as Baena said "What if" moments, which to me isn't something a good director or writer should leave out.

That way we will have tons of plot holes with lots of un-answered questions and un-explained moments there by becoming the next Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen!

I as the film watcher should not have to come up with hundreds of possibilities as to why something was said or happened that wasn't explained. Unless of course the whole point to the movie is to keep the audience questioning the plot, but I'm pretty sure that the MOTU: Live Action Film will not be one of those movies.

Honestly,with the way mattel has handled the 2002 line and now the MOTUC line. I am doubtful that we will get to see a true and good MOTU movie. I hope I am really wrong,but by the way things have gone lately I doubt it.

Lets keep our fingers crossed!
    Last edited by joeyd; July 13, 2009 at 09:55pm. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    Honestly,with the way mattel has handled the 2002 line and now the MOTUC line. I am doubtful that we will get to see a true and good MOTU movie. I hope I am really wrong,but by the way things have gone lately I doubt it.

Lets keep our fingers crossed!
    The MOTUC may be on a lot smaller scale than the 2002 line and Mattel is still working out some of the kinks(damaged product and trouble logging onto the website aren't just Mattel specific unfortunately), but the MOTUC getting fans very excited and 2 successful toy movies(3 if G.I. Joe works out) in a row leads me to believe Mattel and Warner Brothers are going to do everything they can to get this movie out. I just hope the director gives us a movie similar to his Kung Fu Panda(a beautiful looking movie that charmed kids and adults without relying on pop culture jokes or scatalogical humor).

JOIN THE GROUP...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex The Kid View Post
    Bottom line is, all of this has to be portrayed in the film for the audience to understand why he is in fact the chosen one.
    I'm not sure what you mean. Any good writer/actor/director could accomodate either Baena's interpretation or mine.

I never assumed it was Adam who had the power; it’s always been the sword. That's why it was called the Sword of Power. Yes, Adam was chosen to wield it, but that's it. In fact, I think the reason why him in particular has never been explored, although I think that in the new film he is a descendent of Greyskull himself, just like the MYP cartoons. Basically, anyone could potentially become a He-Man if they got hold of the sword and spoke the magic words.

The new film seems like its going down that route. It sounds like we're gonna be getting a more realistic representation of He-Man here. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Of course, it all depends on whatever changes this new writer makes to the script. But as far as I know, they're still using Marks' script.
    Last edited by Krueger; July 14, 2009 at 03:46pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Basically, anyone could potentially become a He-Man if they got hold of the sword and spoke the magic words.
    Is He-Man just a force or energy that makes you supremely strong? Or is he also a personality, a spirit of some kind?

If the former, then yes - anyone can use the He-Man weapon. If the latter, then perhaps no - not just any one can "mix" well with the He-Man character (or even, not at all).

You might imagine that, the Elders, Ancients, Sorceresses, Cosmic Enforcers and Councils of the Wise, etc. etc. MIGHT be smart enough to not make a Power Sword which just anyone can use, so long as they know the magic words.

Greyskull is supposed to be a nearly impenetrable fortress that guards awesome secrets. You don't want the Sword to be an easy way in.

So the Sword has to be a difficult thing, like Tolkein's ring. You don't just carry it around and become He-Man when you like. You have to suffer, you have to develop, grow, struggle, and relate to the thing as an object connected to powerful (& probably sanity-blasting) mysteries.