Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: "GRAYSKULL" (He-Man movie) lands a new writer

NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    i found a little confort in this, specially the part where it says "There isn’t even a “single beat of comedic relief” in the entire script." if this turned out to be a goof like the transformers (unfortunatly) have become i would be FURIOUS for eternity!!!!1

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/06/03/...could-be-cool/

Five Reasons Why Justin Marks’ Live Action He-Man Movie Could be Cool

Posted on Tuesday, June 3rd, 2008 by Peter Sciretta

He-ManEl Mayimbe has a gotten his hands on a copy of Justin Marks’ He-Man screenplay, currently titled Grayskull: The Masters of the Universe. Okay, may-be the title needs a little work, but Mayimbe insists that the screenplay a “fanboy masterpiece!” Here are five things from the script that has gotten us excited to see this movie on the big screen.

1. This is not He-Man for kiddies! It’s written as a hard and edgy PG-13 film tinkering on the edge of an R-Rating. And remember, PG-13 is the new R. You can get away with so much more now-a-days, especially when set in a fantasy environment like Eternia.

2. The story is described as “Lord of the Rings meets The Matrix meets Batman Begins.” An epic battle for Eternia which begins with the origins of He-Man, Skeletor, and the Power Sword. Prince Adam has to “overcome his selfish need for revenge and realize his destiny for the greater good of his people” and “find the Sword of Light” in the hidden Castle Grayskull and “unify his kingdom.”

3. Included are Fan favorite characters Zodack, Mekanek, Man-at-armsS, Teela, Evil-Lyn, Trap-Jaw, Tri-Klops, Beast Man, Battlecat and Panthor. And best yet, Orko is no where in sight!

4. All the corniness of the animated series is completely GONE. There isn’t even a “single beat of comedic relief” in the entire script. Treat the property with realism, what a concept!

5. Grayskull is a geek’s wet dream, “the perfect marriage of Sorcery and Science fiction where in Eternia both Fantasy and Technology co-exist.” The script mixes “high tech, swords, and otherworldly creatures.” Imagine the possibilities!

I never thought I’d say this but I’m excited to see a live-action He-Man movie. It sounds like Justin Marks has done fanboys proud and has crafted a film with franchise possibilities. There is a lot A LOT more, I’ve only given you five little tidbits. Read the full script review over on LatinoReview

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    i found a little confort in this, specially the part where it says "There isn’t even a “single beat of comedic relief” in the entire script." if this turned out to be a goof like the transformers (unfortunatly) have become i would be FURIOUS for eternity!!!!1

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/06/03/...could-be-cool/

I don't want potty jokes or sexual humor like that creepy Mr. Bay seems to love, but even the Conan and The Lord Of The Rings movies had humor. Without that, it 1)won't be the He-Man that I know and 2)will be so "dry" that it could turn off as many viewers as it does entice. IMHO.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

YOU NEVER CAN LET ORKO OUTSIDE, he´s one the most importing Charakter.

But no Orko is the same like a knock-off.

NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    I don't want potty jokes or sexual humor like that creepy Mr. Bay seems to love, but even the Conan and The Lord Of The Rings movies had humor. Without that, it 1)won't be the He-Man that I know and 2)will be so "dry" that it could turn off as many viewers as it does entice. IMHO.
    i don't mind at all humor like we had in LOTR, neither do i mind a rough beard movie like one of those clint eastwood's heavily serious films, but i do mind (ALOT) humor like in transformers, i'm just happy to have read that such decay will not be present in this he-man movie, i hope not, i sure hope not

Quote Originally Posted by Merman79 View Post
    YOU NEVER CAN LET ORKO OUTSIDE, he´s one the most importing Charakter.

But no Orko is the same like a knock-off.
    yeah i did not get that aswell, maybe they meant gwildor??
    Last edited by Arkangel; July 15, 2009 at 04:35pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

"2. The story is described as “Lord of the Rings meets The Matrix meets Batman Begins.” An epic battle for Eternia which begins with the origins of He-Man, Skeletor, and the Power Sword. Prince Adam has to “overcome his selfish need for revenge and realize his destiny for the greater good of his people” and “find the Sword of Light” in the hidden Castle Grayskull and “unify his kingdom.”."

Yuck!
    Once more, Drollywood uses the only two themes/motives it seems to understand:

1. Revenge - e.g. 'Batman Begins'. And in this case, Adam revenging half of the characters that get killed off.

2. Monogamous-Love-Conquers-All - e.g. 'The Matrix' i.e. Neo only 'wins' because he loves Trinity and not all of humanity. Expect Teela to be reduced to a love-interest instead of a warrior woman with a hideous destiny.

Adam won't be complicated/conflicted/tragic/dramatic; he'll just be tugged like a puppet between two opposed poles - revenge (which'll help turn the movie into a bloodbath) and the 'greater good' (which is always the moral at the end of any cookie-cutter-hero's tale).

BORING
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I just finished viewing Street Fighter: Legend of Chun-Li (also by Justin Marks) and I am distressed—not because the film is dreadful (it is), but because Grayskull: Masters of the Universe is nearly identical from the characterization and plot, to the actual dialogue; without hyperbole, it is as if Justin Marks simply substituted the names with those of Masters of the Universe characters:

• An adolescent Chun-Li witnesses Bison (presumably) murder her father; An adolescent Adam witness Keldor murder his father.

• Gen of the Order of the Web trains Chun-Li, promising her vengence if she can "let go of her anger"; Zodak of the Elders trains Adam, promising him vengence if he can "let go of his anger."

• Gen (presumably) sacrifices himself to save Chun-Li from assassins; Zodak sacrifices himself to save Adam from assassins.

• The citizens of Bangkok hide Chun-Li from the authorities; the citizens of Capital City hide Adam from the authorities.

I could go on and on. The most egregious example:

After Cantana, the female companion of Bison, betrays him, he kills her, saying, "You broke my heart"; After Evil-Lyn, the female companion of Skeletor, betrays him, he kills her, saying, "You broke my heart." The scene is identical.

Chun-Li = Adam; Bison = Skeletor; Gen = Zodak; Cantana = Evil-Lyn; Vega = Tri-Klops; Balrog = Trap Jaw—ridiculous.

I'll be watching Street Fight too for the exact same reasons.

But Marks is off MOTU so why worry?
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    But Marks is off MOTU so why worry?
    His script is still being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I just finished viewing Street Fighter: Legend of Chun-Li (also by Justin Marks) and I am distressed—not because the film is dreadful (it is), but because Grayskull: Masters of the Universe is nearly identical from the characterization and plot, to the actual dialogue; without hyperbole, it is as if Justin Marks simply substituted the names with those of Masters of the Universe characters:

• An adolescent Chun-Li witnesses Bison (presumably) murder her father; An adolescent Adam witness Keldor murder his father.

• Gen of the Order of the Web trains Chun-Li, promising her vengence if she can "let go of her anger"; Zodak of the Elders trains Adam, promising him vengence if he can "let go of his anger."

• Gen (presumably) sacrifices himself to save Chun-Li from assassins; Zodak sacrifices himself to save Adam from assassins.

• The citizens of Bangkok hide Chun-Li from the authorities; the citizens of Capital City hide Adam from the authorities.

I could go on and on. The most egregious example:

After Cantana, the female companion of Bison, betrays him, he kills her, saying, "You broke my heart"; After Evil-Lyn, the female companion of Skeletor, betrays him, he kills her, saying, "You broke my heart." The scene is identical.

Chun-Li = Adam; Bison = Skeletor; Gen = Zodak; Cantana = Evil-Lyn; Vega = Tri-Klops; Balrog = Trap Jaw—ridiculous.

Is that all true, honestly? Or are you exaggerating because you obviously despise the script? If that is all true, then Marks should be ashamed. Not because Street Fighter crashed and burned (let’s face it, a lot of factors come into play when a film bombs, so I know you want to, but you can’t just blame Marks. I'm sure the non-existent marketing had a lot to do with it, as well as the fact that the film looked so generic and bland it looked like something made for TV. Obviously, none of that was Marks' fault), but because he’s pretty much copying from himself. Shows a real lack of imagination and genuine arrogance to think he can get away with it.

Maybe that is the exact reason why WB has got another writer onboard? If you’re telling the truth, then I hope that is the case.

These movies have to have SOME humor, but not to the degree of a Michael Bay Transformers movie. Some of the best, epic/sci-fi/adventure movies of al time have a little humor in them: Raiders of the Lost Ark: the mirror in the face scene, the shooting the swordsman, etc.; the first two Star Wars movies' droids and Chewie; Lord of the Rings had Gimli, Merry, and Pippin. I want a MotU movie to have humor like those, and hopefully NOT with robot-leg-humping.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Five Reasons Why Justin Marks’ Live Action He-Man Movie Could be Cool

Posted on Tuesday, June 3rd, 2008 by Peter Sciretta

He-ManEl Mayimbe has a gotten his hands on a copy of Justin Marks’ He-Man screenplay, currently titled Grayskull: The Masters of the Universe. Okay, may-be the title needs a little work, but Mayimbe insists that the screenplay a “fanboy masterpiece!” Here are five things from the script that has gotten us excited to see this movie on the big screen.

1. This is not He-Man for kiddies! It’s written as a hard and edgy PG-13 film tinkering on the edge of an R-Rating. And remember, PG-13 is the new R. You can get away with so much more now-a-days, especially when set in a fantasy environment like Eternia.

2. The story is described as “Lord of the Rings meets The Matrix meets Batman Begins.” An epic battle for Eternia which begins with the origins of He-Man, Skeletor, and the Power Sword. Prince Adam has to “overcome his selfish need for revenge and realize his destiny for the greater good of his people” and “find the Sword of Light” in the hidden Castle Grayskull and “unify his kingdom.”

3. Included are Fan favorite characters Zodack, Mekanek, Man-at-armsS, Teela, Evil-Lyn, Trap-Jaw, Tri-Klops, Beast Man, Battlecat and Panthor. And best yet, Orko is no where in sight!

4. All the corniness of the animated series is completely GONE. There isn’t even a “single beat of comedic relief” in the entire script. Treat the property with realism, what a concept!

5. Grayskull is a geek’s wet dream, “the perfect marriage of Sorcery and Science fiction where in Eternia both Fantasy and Technology co-exist.” The script mixes “high tech, swords, and otherworldly creatures.” Imagine the possibilities!

I never thought I’d say this but I’m excited to see a live-action He-Man movie. It sounds like Justin Marks has done fanboys proud and has crafted a film with franchise possibilities. There is a lot A LOT more, I’ve only given you five little tidbits. Read the full script review over on LatinoReview
    1. No offense to anyone here, but this whole, "everything has to be dark and gritty" trend is getting really old, and it usually ends up turning out pretty immature. I'm not saying it's impossible to take Masters of the Universe seriously (I think MYP did a pretty good job), but bumping up the rating isn't going to automatically make it better.

2. I'm also really sick of this, "all heroes have to go to the edge before they can learn to be good" thing. One of the reasons I like He-Man is because he is that paragon of good we so lack in our fiction today.

3. To me, Orko is almost a must to make it "He-Man." Granted, most movie studios would completely ruin his inclusion, but to me, doing him right is as important as everything else.

4. Not a single bit of comic relief? That's a bad sign to me. No matter what genré of film (or literature for that matter) you're making, the audience needs to smile at least once. It's called pacing, and sometimes you need to break up the "serious" stuff. Not to mention the fact that the original series is almost entirely humor. He-Man is practically built around it.

5. Meh.

I still think the guideline for this movie should be the Filmation intro. That intro needs to apply to anything you make relating to He-Man in my opinion, especially a movie, which relies on people recognizing it.

Also, why can't the movie just be called He-Man? Everyone knows who He-Man is, even non-fans would at least say it sounds familiar. You can include Masters of the Universe as well, but since the fans can't even agree on what that means, it's not a good way to display it to people.

Master of Gardening MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    I am new, so don't know much about the movie, but has it started filming yet? When is it due for release, etc.
    CONGRATS to the 7 Lucky Winners of my
    FREE Club Etheria Sub Figure Giveaway!!!

Double Mischief = Minor
    Madame Razz = Uncle Jake
    Entrapta = SorceressSon
    October figure = SunDevil
    November figure = Ealo
    December figure = yodafreakmaster
    Light Hope SUB EXCLUSIVE = McLaughlin2778

Heroic Warrior
    I am glad it wont be a movie for kiddies, really dont like too much added comic relief in these type of movies... they did a good job on GI JOE having a good bit of violence in it

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    I am new, so don't know much about the movie, but has it started filming yet? When is it due for release, etc.
    Well, there’s no release date or any actors set yet, and it hasn't started filming. The script was written by Justin Marks, and another writer was brought onboard in May to another draft. The director was announced in January as being John Stevenson, who co-directed Kung-Fu Panda. Obviously, any of this can change at any time. A summer 2011 release has been rumoured, and is still possible. If work doesn't get going by the end of this year, though, I doubt a 2011 release is likely. Next bet would be 2012, which is probably better as 2011 is very crowded.

Master of Gardening MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Well, there’s no release date or any actors set yet, and it hasn't started filming. The script was written by Justin Marks, and another writer was brought onboard in May to another draft. The director was announced in January as being John Stevenson, who co-directed Kung-Fu Panda. Obviously, any of this can change at any time. A summer 2011 release has been rumoured, and is still possible. If work doesn't get going by the end of this year, though, I doubt a 2011 release is likely. Next bet would be 2012, which is probably better as 2011 is very crowded.
    Thanks for the info. I wish they would stop dragging their feet and get started.
    CONGRATS to the 7 Lucky Winners of my
    FREE Club Etheria Sub Figure Giveaway!!!

Double Mischief = Minor
    Madame Razz = Uncle Jake
    Entrapta = SorceressSon
    October figure = SunDevil
    November figure = Ealo
    December figure = yodafreakmaster
    Light Hope SUB EXCLUSIVE = McLaughlin2778

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    Thanks for the info. I wish they would stop dragging their feet and get started.
    Agreed. Maybe if GI Joe makes good money (which it should), they will.

Evil fears the Knight mattnotis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Agreed. Maybe if GI Joe makes good money (which it should), they will.
    It pulled in roughly $56 million this weekend. If it has legs and does well internationally, I'd expect MOTU to progress much faster than it has been for the last few months.
    Wabawalawoo!!!

After Harry Potter wraps up with the last book, I think the only successful franchise Warner Bros has left is Nolan's Batman series(and that's only if he decides to make a third one). Until they, hopefully, have a successful Green Lantern movie, a MOTU movie will be Warner Bros' best chance for a successful genre franchise.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Heroic Warrior
    $55 million is a weak opening for a movie with $176 million budget. Its not getting good word of mouth either.

Not sure why though that GI JOE would have a big affect on Masters of the Universe though. Just because they are based on toys. So what? They are nothing a like.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    $55 million is a weak opening for a movie with $176 million budget. Its not getting good word of mouth either.

Not sure why though that GI JOE would have a big affect on Masters of the Universe though. Just because they are based on toys. So what? They are nothing a like.
    People in Hollywood aren't known for their intelligence or creativity. As soon as a movie based on a TV show, Japanese horror movie, or a toyline is popular, they start scrambling for similar projects to repeat that initial success. Thanks to the unfortunate success of Survivor, we've been inundated with non-stop reality shows for the past 10 years.

JOIN THE GROUP...

It's got fantastic reviews in the uk so far! Hopefully it performes really well over the next few weeks both stateside & internationally!
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    It's got fantastic reviews in the uk so far! Hopefully it performes really well over the next few weeks both stateside & internationally!
    Maybe it was a good idea after all to make the "Real American Heroes" an international team. If that helps give us a sequel, for once Hollywood made a change that helped a franchise instead of just turning off its original fans.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Heroic Warrior
    People in Hollywood aren't known for their intelligence or creativity. As soon as a movie based on a TV show, Japanese horror movie, or a toyline is popular, they start scrambling for similar projects to repeat that initial success. Thanks to the unfortunate success of Survivor, we've been inundated with non-stop reality shows for the past 10 years.
    A Masters of The Universe project, a new one has been kicked around in Hollywood for the last several years. GI Joe isn't really going to change it.

Maybe it was a good idea after all to make the "Real American Heroes" an international team. If that helps give us a sequel, for once Hollywood made a change that helped a franchise instead of just turning off its original fans.
    Not really since the movie is getting terrible reviews and word of mouth and will be considered a disappointment, especially compared to Transformers.

-CM Punk

A Masters of The Universe project, a new one has been kicked around in Hollywood for the last several years. GI Joe isn't really going to change it.
    It was only after Transformers 2 and G.I. joe were scheduled for this summer that WB decided to dust off Justin Mark's script and announce a screenwriter and director. The closest we've had to that since the 1987 movie were the rumors 5 years ago that John Woo was going to direct MOTU. That project was never officially greenlit.

Not really since the movie is getting terrible reviews and word of mouth and will be considered a disappointment, especially compared to Transformers.
    Angel-T just said the reviews were good in the UK. Supposedly the reason they made the team international was to appeal to non-US countries. If it's getting good reviews in the UK, that may be part of the reason. Austin Powers didn't make a lot of money theatrically but was a hit on video. It then received 2 sequels. Writing G.I. Joe's obituary 2 days after it opened is a tad pre-mature imho.

JOIN THE GROUP...

Heroic Warrior
    It was only after Transformers 2 and G.I. joe were scheduled for this summer that WB decided to dust off Justin Mark's script and announce a screenwriter and director. The closest we've had to that since the 1987 movie were the rumors 5 years ago that John Woo was going to direct MOTU. That project was never officially greenlit.
    Nope. Wrong again. I'm not sure what timeline you are going off of. All these projects have been in development for years. Joel Silver has been spearheading and been associated with MOTU as Time Warner for a long time. And its also not the first time screenwriters, directors, and producers were actively working on this. The project still isn't officially greenlit now. There's no release date. There's no physical production. Look at WB and Justice League, they had everything together before they shut it down in January of 2008.

Angel-T just said the reviews were good in the UK. Supposedly the reason they made the team international was to appeal to non-US countries. If it's getting good reviews in the UK, that may be part of the reason. Austin Powers didn't make a lot of money theatrically but was a hit on video. It then received 2 sequels. Writing G.I. Joe's obituary 2 days after it opened is a tad pre-mature imho.
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gi_joe/

Wow good reviews in UK. So far the movie had a weak opening and with such a huge budget, it probably won't make enough to warrant a bigger budget sequel. Sequels are almost never cheaper to make.

The first Austin Powers movie cost less than $20 million and made over $50 million in the US. So it still found a decent amount of success in theatrical run before becoming a phenomenon on DVD as well.

Also why are you just putting Austin Powers out there? Austin Powers really was a cheap comedy vehicle for Mike Meyers that just happen to become huge money for the now defunct New Line.

Also, look at the opening weekends for the Fantastic Four movies. This movie closely resembles the pattern for FF2. Now FF is a DEAD franchise at Fox.

-CM Punk