Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 251

Thread: "GRAYSKULL" (He-Man movie) lands a new writer

  1. #201
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    2,737
    One of the earliest script reviews had the film down as being called Grayskull: Masters of the Universe. I don’t like the title because, IMO, colons should only be used in sequels. I see it as quite arrogant to assume that the first film in a potential franchise will be a big hit and warrant a sequel. That’s why I don’t like the new GI Joe title. The first film should have just been called GI Joe. Rise of Cobra should have been saved for the sequel. A coloned title for a first film can be quite an embarrassing thing, because if the film flops and there’s no sequel it would just give fuel to the haters and critics because they would know the studio was obviously hoping it would become the next Star Wars.

    I say either call it Grayskull or Masters of the Universe. Save the colon for the sequel.

  2. #202
    Mistress of the Whip! Divia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    19,711
    Quote Originally Posted by fantombe View Post
    The Live action movie? That was just called "Masters of the Universe" I believe. I have the VHS here somewhere, I'll check the box and get back to you...

    ETA: Yep, just "Masters of the Universe". Nothing exciting.
    They may want to drop that then so people dont associate the two movies together.
    Obey the whip!

    Smile like you mean it.

  3. #203
    Heroic Warrior fantombe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    556
    I think the target audience will be too young to remember it, and most of the only adults who will are probably the fans. I doubt association will be an issue.

  4. #204
    He-Man.org Administrator TheShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    23,263
    Besides, the brand is called "Masters of the Universe". Since it is a new He-Man movie, critics, etc. would still most likely reference that there was a movie in 1987. That always seems to happen.

    Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

  5. #205
    Heroic Warrior WDWFreak53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    One of the earliest script reviews had the film down as being called Grayskull: Masters of the Universe. I don’t like the title because, IMO, colons should only be used in sequels. I see it as quite arrogant to assume that the first film in a potential franchise will be a big hit and warrant a sequel. That’s why I don’t like the new GI Joe title. The first film should have just been called GI Joe. Rise of Cobra should have been saved for the sequel. A coloned title for a first film can be quite an embarrassing thing, because if the film flops and there’s no sequel it would just give fuel to the haters and critics because they would know the studio was obviously hoping it would become the next Star Wars.

    I say either call it Grayskull or Masters of the Universe. Save the colon for the sequel.

    Hehe, like Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li.

    I know what you mean, but with GI Joe... "Rise of Cobra" wouldn't have worked for the sequel because the beginning of Cobra was in this movie.

    I do see what you're saying though.

  6. #206
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    They may want to drop that then so people dont associate the two movies together.
    There's little danger of that. Considering a probably 25 year difference in release periods. And no one even saw the first movie.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

    -CM Punk

  7. #207
    Heroic Warrior fantombe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    556
    I did. In the cinema, and I have it on VHS. You can watch it on YouTube too.

  8. #208
    Refreshing Midwinter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Home of the Power Tour
    Posts
    2,256
    Quote Originally Posted by fantombe View Post
    I did. In the cinema, and I have it on VHS. You can watch it on YouTube too.
    I saw this film in the cinema too... Same theatre I saw the Garbage Pail Kids movie at...

    VHS!!! What is that....
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

  9. #209
    Heroic Warrior fantombe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    556
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    I saw this film in the cinema too... Same theatre I saw the Garbage Pail Kids movie at...
    There's a Garbage Pail Kids movie?

    Genius.

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    VHS!!! What is that....
    Video tape. Unfortunately video tapes degrade with time and usage, and it's been watched so many times over about 15 years that it's really poor quality now.

    It's next to impossible to find a region 2 DVD to replace it (that's not a dutch import) for less than about 40 quid. Last time I watched this movie a couple of weeks back, I watched it in 10 parts on YouTube!

  10. #210
    He-Man.org Administrator TheShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    23,263
    Quote Originally Posted by fantombe View Post
    I did. In the cinema, and I have it on VHS.
    I saw it opening day in the theater -- my dad took me. They gave out a free Secret of the Sword comic book at the theater I went to (still have the comic).

    I have the movie on VHS, LASERDISC, and DVD. Warner is re-issuing the DVD in a couple weeks (at least the Region 1 release).

    Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

  11. #211
    Refreshing Midwinter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Home of the Power Tour
    Posts
    2,256
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I saw it opening day in the theater -- my dad took me. They gave out a free Secret of the Sword comic book at the theater I went to (still have the comic).
    Are you sure the Secret of the Sword comic book didn't get passed out at your local screening of the Secret of the Sword movie? I received mine when I went and saw SOTS along with some coupons or activity book for McDonalds.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

  12. #212
    Heroic Warrior fantombe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    556
    I never got a Secret of the Sword comic book at either movie.

  13. #213
    Mistress of the Whip! Divia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    19,711
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
    There's little danger of that. Considering a probably 25 year difference in release periods. And no one even saw the first movie.

    I think it unwise to use the same title. Some people did see it. Also there could be an association with the first movie, which none of us want.
    Obey the whip!

    Smile like you mean it.

  14. #214
    Refreshing Midwinter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Home of the Power Tour
    Posts
    2,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    Also there could be an association with the first movie, which none of us want.
    You like firing up arguments - don't you?

    I'm not a fan of the original movie (other than a retro love for it), but I'm sure someone is going to want to argue with you...
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

  15. #215
    Widget Wrestler Mr. Shokoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Villa Park, IL
    Posts
    9,541
    Quote Originally Posted by fantombe View Post
    I did. In the cinema, and I have it on VHS. You can watch it on YouTube too.

    Even though I wasn't buying the toys any longer, I saw it in the theaters(although I left before Skeletor's "resurrection" after the credits), watched it on cable, had it on VHS, and currently own it on DVD. It's not the best movie, but I still feel it's a lot more faithful to its original source than a lot of other comic book/toy/video game movies that have been released.

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    I saw this film in the cinema too... Same theatre I saw the Garbage Pail Kids movie at...
    My dad promised to take me to see GPK but it was gone a week or so after it came out. When I later saw it on tape, I felt a little better about missing it at the theaters. I'm surprised that movie was made but a Cabbage Patch Kids film never was released.

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    Are you sure the Secret of the Sword comic book didn't get passed out at your local screening of the Secret of the Sword movie? I received mine when I went and saw SOTS along with some coupons or activity book for McDonalds.
    Yeah, I didn't get a SOTS comic with the 1987 MOTU movie, but I did get one with the animated He-Man movie. I don't know what happened to my original copy but I got another one on Ebay a year or so ago. They managed to squeeze a comic adaptation of the entire movie into only 6 pages.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; August 27, 2009 at 12:50pm.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

    JOIN THE GROUP...

    FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

  16. #216
    Mistress of the Whip! Divia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    19,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    You like firing up arguments - don't you?

    I'm not a fan of the original movie (other than a retro love for it), but I'm sure someone is going to want to argue with you...
    Oh I'm sure they will Its not that I am firing up an argument but I just think that there are some bad vibes from the original movie and I'm not sure the powers that be would want to have the same name as the original.

    But hey I could be wrong They might think its the perfect name. Who can figure hollywood out?
    Obey the whip!

    Smile like you mean it.

  17. #217
    Refreshing Midwinter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Home of the Power Tour
    Posts
    2,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    My dad promised to take me to see GPK but it was gone a week or so after it came out. When I later saw it on tape, I felt a little better about missing it at the theaters. I'm surprised that movie was made but a Cabbage Patch Kids film never was released.
    My mom actually took me and my brother to the theatre to see GPK. She sat and watched the whole movie with me. She is a saint.

    If my dad would have taken us he would have beaten my face in for even suggesting it after watching the one kid wet his pants.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

  18. #218
    Heroic Warrior Krueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    England, UK
    Posts
    2,737
    Garbage Pail Kids is a horrible, horrible film. Absolutely awful.

  19. #219
    Refreshing Midwinter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Home of the Power Tour
    Posts
    2,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Garbage Pail Kids is a horrible, horrible film. Absolutely awful.
    The director also did some episodes of Dukes of Hazzard. It has to be good...
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

  20. #220
    Heroic Warrior fantombe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    556
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    You like firing up arguments - don't you?

    I'm not a fan of the original movie (other than a retro love for it), but I'm sure someone is going to want to argue with you...
    I think it was just a poor choice of words, like "no-one" watched it. An innocent 'typo' I'm sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    The director also did some episodes of Dukes of Hazzard. It has to be good...
    How have I not even heard of this movie?

    Based on a series of pictures with no back story, directed by the DoH guy... How can it possibly be bad?

  21. #221
    Refreshing Midwinter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Home of the Power Tour
    Posts
    2,256
    Quote Originally Posted by fantombe View Post
    How have I not even heard of this movie?

    Based on a series of pictures with no back story, directed by the DoH guy... How can it possibly be bad?
    I can only hope the new MOTU movie is this good:

    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

  22. #222
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    I think it unwise to use the same title. Some people did see it. Also there could be an association with the first movie, which none of us want.
    Your argument doesn't many any sense considering the bread and butter was originally the TOYLINE which was Masters of the Universe, NOT GRAYSKULL.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

    -CM Punk

  23. #223
    Heroic Warrior fantombe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    556
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    I can only hope the new MOTU movie is this good:



    That picture is hilarious.

    Ironically though (and quite frighteningly if you think about it), given the special effects technology at the time, if they didn't approach the previous movie in the intelligent way they did, and instead through in characters like Battlecat, or Orko, or whatever to try to please people, we would have had a movie that looked almost exactly like that!

    Scary stuff...

  24. #224
    He-Man.org Administrator TheShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    23,263
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    Are you sure the Secret of the Sword comic book didn't get passed out at your local screening of the Secret of the Sword movie? I received mine when I went and saw SOTS along with some coupons or activity book for McDonalds.
    I am positive. I didn't see SOTS in the theater when I was a child.

    I remember opening day of MOTU '87 quite vividly right down to the lady that sold us the tickets / gave me the comic and the conversation I had with my dad after the movie asking him why there was no transformation sequence, cartoon music, and She-Ra.
    Last edited by TheShadow; August 28, 2009 at 09:16am.

    Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

  25. #225
    Refreshing Midwinter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Home of the Power Tour
    Posts
    2,256
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I am positive. I didn't see SOTS in the theater when I was a child.

    I remember opening day of MOTU '87 quite vividly right down to the lady that sold us the tickets / gave me the comic and the conversation I had with my dad after the movie asking him why there was no transformation sequence, cartoon music, and She-Ra.
    Maybe Mattel had left overs from the SOTS movie and sent them out to theatres when the were showing MOTU '87 also. That is a cool fact to find out!

    I can remember being a little freaked out by MOTU '87 because He-Man was a cartoon and now all of a sudden I am looking at a half-dressed guy on the big screen.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •