Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We won't see 200X characters in MOTUC?

Evil Master of Spaghetti Kobra Khan's Avatar

We won't see 200X characters in MOTUC?

I was toying with my MOTUC Mer-man and his wonderful trident, and I came to think about the strangeness of adding it: sure, it's great to have additional accesories, but why? It belongs to the 200X figure.
    And, thinking about it, Hordak will come with his 200X staff, Trike with the Doomseeker, Webstor with the additional limbs, all features of the 200X characters. Man-at-arms secret accessory will probably be the hand-cannon, if this is the trend.
    Isn't it strange? This way the 200X versions are being deprived of a bit of uniqueness, IMO. Maybe this is hinting that we won't have 200X characters in MOTUC, like "we're not going to make them for this line, so let's throw in their accessories, at least".
    I don't know, seeing so many "modern" accessories/features is starting to look like a sinister omen to me. Anyone else shares this thought with me?

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    Despite Mattel's overly optimistic views, I never expected we would get appropriate 2002 versions of the main characters. Once you take away they differing body sizes and shapes, all you're really left with are new armored gauntlets and boots. Not really the kind of thing you do a brand new figure for. MOTUC, essentially, is a hybrid, adding parts of the 2002 line to the original figures. *Maybe* they'll repaint He-Man with the leather harness, loincloth, and possibly 2002 weapons... but to think they'll ever rerelease every MOTU figure a second time, with their 4 Horsemen designs, is putting your expectations WAY too high.

I really wouldn't be so surprised, but also not overly disappointed. I like that these figures pretty much capture a nice balance or combination of old aesthetics with new ideas. Afterall, somewhat limited articulation aside, the majority of the 200X figures we got were outstanding in their own right. So imho, MOTUC wraps them all up, full circle, in as perfect execution as it probably gets.

Just my .02.

Evil Master of Spaghetti Kobra Khan's Avatar
    Yes, if you give MOTUC proportions to 200X designs what's left isn't a 200X design anymore... I can't imagine a 200X Buzz-Off if he isn't skinny, and he probably won't be, to fit with the others and to recycle parts.
    I apologize to the new line lovers for starting such a pessimistic thread, but I tried to share a thought of mine.

Not pessimistic at all, just understandably speculative and concerned. And making for good discussion.

Otherwise, even if they did decide to do 200X figures in MOTUC, I doubt it would even be done any time soon. They're going to reuse parts mostly for as long as they can and I think if they're going to do more new sculpting, the line itself would benefit more if they produce characters that are still needing to be done in order to help keep the line fresh.
    Last edited by REX-203; May 22, 2009 at 07:14pm.

Heroic Warrior
    The ultimate problem is that we're looking at a very limited line with a very limited budget. Mattel always said MOTUC would be a melting pot of concepts from all generations, but I do agree that, even this early in the line, some of the limitations are starting to show.

As I said in another thread, I feel the "creature" characters benefitted the most from the 200x update, including Buzz Off, Stratos, Clawful and especially the Snakemen. Webstor is a prime example. Where as the 200x presented a Spider creature, the Vintage and Classics figure presents a body builder with a spider-ish head.
    After seeing him, my expectations/hopes for a proper insectoid BUzz Off aren't very high.

In the end, I think the team is doing a very good job in integrating many of the concepts of 200x while still retaining the feel of the Vintage line. Hordak and Man At Arms are prime examples. But unless the line goes back to retail with real retail support, I don't believe for a second we'll get two completely seperate figures of the same character. The sole exception, IMO, is Zodak only because the 200x update is so vastly different from the original and is feasible without as much new tooling as say, a 200x Whiplash or Clawful.

I thought MOTUC was supposed to be about attempting to combine the best of all of MOTU into one great line. 200X elements would be part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    I thought MOTUC was supposed to be about attempting to combine the best of all of MOTU into one great line. 200X elements would be part of that.
    Agreed. And that's exactly what I want and I'm THRILLED with what how they've done it so far!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Heroic Warrior
    I'd still want a 200X styled He-Man and Skeletor at the very least.

tho, I still wish we were getting a better Hordak.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobra Khan View Post
    I was toying with my MOTUC Mer-man and his wonderful trident, and I came to think about the strangeness of adding it: sure, it's great to have additional accesories, but why? It belongs to the 200X figure.
    And, thinking about it, Hordak will come with his 200X staff, Trike with the Doomseeker, Webstor with the additional limbs, all features of the 200X characters. Man-at-arms secret accessory will probably be the hand-cannon, if this is the trend.
    Isn't it strange? This way the 200X versions are being deprived of a bit of uniqueness, IMO. Maybe this is hinting that we won't have 200X characters in MOTUC, like "we're not going to make them for this line, so let's throw in their accessories, at least".
    I don't know, seeing so many "modern" accessories/features is starting to look like a sinister omen to me. Anyone else shares this thought with me?
    Toyguru did drop a few hints about 200X versions of a few characters, including one in my sig. And I've long thought that once Mattel has sold us the original MOTU characters, they'll need ways to re-sell those same characters to keep the line going.

But I understand where you're coming from.

MOTUC is probably an attempt by Mattel to MERGE vintage with 200X, into one new THIRD version. I mean if you think about it, if they do have a chance to make a new cartoon or comic, there is the question of which version do the creators choose if there are two distinct versions of MOTU. Why wouldn't Mattel decide to rewrite everything with the new figures?

Zodac Zur, Hec-Tor-Kur, Raquill Rquazz, Squidish Rex...Overlords of Trolla, Demo-Man...

We're just not seeing this new third version yet as a whole. I think many vintage fans see MOTUC as the vintage line all over and ignore the new stuff, but it is very possible that this is what they are doing with the writers who are writing the new bios and storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by REX-203 View Post
    Otherwise, even if they did decide to do 200X figures in MOTUC, I doubt it would even be done any time soon. They're going to reuse parts mostly for as long as they can and I think if they're going to do more new sculpting, the line itself would benefit more if they produce characters that are still needing to be done in order to help keep the line fresh.
    Yes, they said in the case of a 200X Randor, maybe after the original comes out.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Maybe the only 2000 figs they do will be new to us, like the faceless one? Also Spikor, count Marzo, Evil-seed, etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    Maybe the only 2000 figs they do will be new to us, like the faceless one? Also Spikor, count Marzo, Evil-seed, etc. etc.
    they will NEVER release marzo or evil-seed cause they were originally made by filmation and never had a figure in any form

Movie mayhem!
    I think we'll see certain 200x character, but i don't think we'll see all of them as 200x... and so for the ones that they aren't planning on giving the 200x treatment, i think they are trying to give us the best of both worlds. We know we are getting a 200x zodak.

The Last House on the Left, Las Vegas, Nevada
    Quote Originally Posted by StaticX999 View Post
    they will NEVER release marzo or evil-seed cause they were originally made by filmation and never had a figure in any form
    ...INCORRECTO!!! They were used in the 200X show, and therefore ARE included in the "rights to make" agreement! They've already said so! It will just be "classic-styled" versions, which basically meants it would be a reinterpretation of the 200X show's look...

Collector of Toys 4 Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper Steve View Post
    As I said in another thread, I feel the "creature" characters benefitted the most from the 200x update, including Buzz Off, Stratos, Clawful and especially the Snakemen. Webstor is a prime example. Where as the 200x presented a Spider creature, the Vintage and Classics figure presents a body builder with a spider-ish head.
    After seeing him, my expectations/hopes for a proper insectoid BUzz Off aren't very high.

In the end, I think the team is doing a very good job in integrating many of the concepts of 200x while still retaining the feel of the Vintage line. Hordak and Man At Arms are prime examples. But unless the line goes back to retail with real retail support, I don't believe for a second we'll get two completely seperate figures of the same character. The sole exception, IMO, is Zodak only because the 200x update is so vastly different from the original and is feasible without as much new tooling as say, a 200x Whiplash or Clawful.
    IMO, the Zodak(c)s really are not that different design-wise, by any means. Trade the monster hands & feet for boots & gloves, give him a removeable hemet & some tats & it's 200x zodac. a very easy one to do, and quite feasible. which is why I'm sure they'll do it. As long as they don't have to resculpt the entire body from head to foot, I'm sure we'll get those designs in some form or other.

whiplash's designs are totally different though, clawful is debatable.. take away the crustacean skin texture & it's practically vintage Clawful. their designs are quite similar. Webstor is basically a few more arm spikes with wristbands & diff lower legs, a more hunched over upper torso with slightly longer lower spider arms... still quite similar to what we're getting.
    i have no doubt about how buzz-off will turn out, seeing that webstor has extra limbs that will no doubt be reused for Buzz-off. He will most likely have 6 limbs, so that's insectoid enough for me. He just won't be skinny like the 200x figure is all.

I don't believe we'll get any 100% unique sculpts anytime soon (ones that can't be reused for other charcters anyway), but imo, after seeing Webstor, i can tell we're getting the next best thing to that. I don't mind having extra weapons for the figures we're getting, i think it's great! It'd be silly to expect them to make multiple versions of every figure anyway; when they can more easily combine the best elements of both versions into one great figure. I'll take that option anyday.

and we will get 200x characters... we already got king Grayskull, and I'm sure others will follow. If they can find a way to make them given the limitations (reused parts or minimal parts tooling) they'll make them, I'm sure of that.
    Lifelong fan of: MOTU, G.I.Joe, Transformers, most 'good' movies of any genre, Star Wars, oldies/classic rock & country music, WWE/WWF/WCW/NWA wrestling, old school circus sideshow performers & fictional movie 'creatures', my friends and family. oh, yes...and I love action figures!!!!!

Support MVCreations for MOTUC!!!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I think what Khan is referring to is 200X versions of the main characters, not the characters that were introduced in 200X (King Grayskull, Faceless One).

We are getting those new characters, but they will share parts and look like they come from the 80's.

Some characters, they really don't have to do too much...like Teela, Man-E-Faces or Fisto. Other characters are totally different (Zodac, King Hiss, Prince Adam, Buzz-Off, Webstor) from their original looks and could get away with releasing them again.

I think that maybe they are could possibly re-release characters with even more 200X parts way after the original versions of the character have come and gone. A new head, different paint apps, new forearms (and forelegs for some) a new loincloth and new accessories on the same MOTUC bodies.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    Hey now, let's not forget that they gave us the best of both worlds with Webstor. His head definitely looks more intimidating than the original and they found a way to incorporate the spider legs from 200x without alienating those that preferred the original look.

I'm sure they'll find the balance for any character, given time.
    CyberV... FOR VICTORY!

Check out my new comic, Death Fox, at www.whatthefluxcomics.com

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    Same here. And so far it's doing a good job at that. But they missed a big chance w/Zodac. They could have given him his staff from the 200X toon (the one that freed the snakes). That way he isn't limited to just a lame ray gun for his only accessory. They could have also put a small tattoo on his chest under the armor, to give a nod to the 200X tattooed version, without going overboard, and something that could be hidden by having the armor on.

Heroic Warrior
    I would fully expect a 200x He-man and Skeletor. Eventually. Anything else I would consider hopeful thinking. They have already designed what they consider the "definitive" Man at arms and Webstor, I don't ever see them going back and redesigning a 200x version Just for the heck of it.

Also I think I saw a thread that showed we had 10 years or so of figures at the current rate... I would suspect that they make a NEW figure than just a remake of one they already did.

Naturally Skeletor and He-man are the exceptions to this. I fully expect Battle Armor, Thunder punch, 200x, and maybe even Horde armor versions of He-man to show up. But Faker and Stratos... I'd be pretty surprised if we get a new style for them.

Personally I'm really loving the "definitive" version. I love the vintage, but they add just enough spice to keep things interesting

I think it's a simple thing of $$$.

If this line continues doing well, there's no way MATTEL will reach a point and then say "Thanks everybody... it's done." I think 200X stuff is entirely possible, just down the road a ways. It would obviously require new and more unique body types, so a lot of moolah needs to be poured into this line before it happens.
    Always Expect the Unexpected!

Heroic Warrior
    they've hinted at Zodak and 200X He-Man already.

I'd count both as safe bets.

Heroic Warrior
    Yes, if you give MOTUC proportions to 200X designs what's left isn't a 200X design anymore... I can't imagine a 200X Buzz-Off if he isn't skinny, and he probably won't be, to fit with the others and to recycle parts.
    I apologize to the new line lovers for starting such a pessimistic thread, but I tried to share a thought of mine.
    for me the proportions are secondary to the other features. Look at the 200x figures they ditched fur speed-o and went with character centric armor and other design aspects that show off the character's personality or backround. So if they made a 200x stratos with the same body but a new skirt, new lower legs, new wrist bands, and a new backpack. I'd be happy with it.

Here's one for ya....

Yes, we all know where this picture came from. It's actually still running now.

That's not a 2002 toyline sword... or the one from the rockem sockem game...
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    We already have.

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Montork View Post
    Here's one for ya....

Yes, we all know where this picture came from. It's actually still running now.

That's not a 2002 toyline sword... or the one from the rockem sockem game...
    Actually, I don't know where that came from? That may sound stupid, but I consider myself a little bit out of the loop, so that's o.k. Are you saying that there is a new mold of the techno sword?

Edit: I now feel very stupid since it says where the image comes from when I click reply. Still, this is the first I've heard of it. Very interesting. I understand where the OP is coming from, but I see some window of oppurtunity. I think 200x zodac/k will be the first as he would be quite easy and has been hinted at.

I love the 200x designs, but having seen webstor, I trust the 4h/mattel to combine the designs nicely.

Now if they would only ship my Zodac....