Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Cartoon Series (39 Episodes)

Dynasty Masters Universe DynastyMasters's Avatar

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Cartoon Series (39 Episodes)

I watched all 39 episodes of the Mike Young Production of the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe cartoon series on the Cartoon Network when they came out between 2002 and 2004, and I had not seen any of the episodes again since, until now, 5 years later.

I bought the complete series from SAM'S CLUB this year and watched all 39 episodes again in 3 days. I love this version of MOTU and will never get tired of watching these episodes over and over again. The animation and stories were WAAAAAAAAAY better than the New Adventures' animation and stories. I liked it better than the original He-Man cartoon too, but the original was actually good, which I can't say about NA.

The animation made me think of The Little Mermaid, The Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King and The Road To El Dorado. MOTU was even better though, only thing missing was He-Man singing!

All 39 episodes were great, although "Turnabout" was a little bit silly, and Queen Marlena didn't get to show her stuff until one of the last few episodes, "Of Machines and Men" when she pierces Tung Lashor's tung to a wall with a knife. The original Queen Marlena got a lot more action, but she just flipped evil warriors who were holding her from behind, over her head.

I really liked the episodes that featured Hordak: "Seperation," "The Price of Deceit," "The Power of Grayskull" and "History." All the episodes that featured the Snake Men were great. The episodes with Sy-Clone, Roboto, Stinkor and Moss Man in them are my personal favorites.

"Mekaneck's Lament" made me think of the MOTU mini-comic book, "Eye of the Storm," where Snout Spout feels he's useless. Did the writers have this in mind when they wrote Mekaneck's Lament? Was it intentional? Were there any episodes like this in the original series?

In the episode "The Mystery of Anwat Gar" The Legacy Stones make Skeletor grow a little taller and get more body armor. The body armor made me think of the armor that Skeletor wore in the New Adventures. Did any of you catch that?

Just a few questions:

Evil-Lyn's father is featured in two episodes, "Lessons" and "The Price of Deceit." Is "The Faceless One" actually his name? Is he dead or alive? Is he good or evil? Is Evil-Lyn's father mentioned anywhere in the original cartoons or comic books? What exactly was his position or title on Eternia?

King Randor's father or grandfather was featured in a flashback in one of the episodes, which one was it again, and what was his name?

The snake around Snake Mountain comes to life in the last episode (the snake god serpos) and then it is sent back the way it was. Are we ever told anywhere in the original MOTU cartoons or comics that the snake around Snake Mountain used to be a living creature?

Was Count Marzo in the original cartoon series or comic books?

I wish this series had lasted longer!
    Last edited by DynastyMasters; May 9, 2011 at 02:33pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankovic-Gretzky View Post
    I watched all 39 episodes of the Mike Young Production of the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe cartoon series on the Cartoon Network when they came out between 2002 and 2004, and I had not seen any of the episodes again since, until now, 5 years later.

I bought the complete series from SAM'S CLUB this year and watched all 39 episodes again in 3 days. I love this version of MOTU and will never get tired of watching these episodes over and over again. The animation and stories were WAAAAAAAAAY better than the New Adventures' animation and stories. I liked it better than the original He-Man cartoon too, but the original was actually good, which I can't say about NA.

The animation made me think of The Little Mermaid, The Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King and The Road To El Dorado. MOTU was even better though, only thing missing was He-Man singing!

All 39 episodes were great, although "Turnabout" was a little bit silly, and Queen Marlena didn't get to show her stuff until one of the last few episodes, "Of Machines and Men" when she pierces Tung Lashor's tung to a wall with a knife. The original Queen Marlena got a lot more action, but she just flipped evil warriors who were holding her from behind, over her head.

I really liked the episodes that featured Hordak: "Seperation," "The Power of Grayskull" and "History." All the episodes that featured the Snake Men were great. The episodes with Sy-Clone, Roboto, Stinkor and Moss Man in them are my personal favorites.

"Mekaneck's Lament" made me think of the MOTU mini-comic book, "Eye of the Storm," where Snout Spout feels he's useless. Did the writers have this in mind when they wrote Mekaneck's Lament? Was it intentional? Were there any episodes like this in the original series?

In the episode "The Mystery of Anwat Gar" The Legacy Stones make Skelator grow a little taller and get more body armor. The body armor made me think of the armor that Skeletor wore in the New Adventures. Did any of you catch that?

Just a few questions:

Evil-Lyn's father is featured in two episodes, "Lessons" and "The Price of Deceit." Is "The Faceless One" actually his name? Is he dead or alive? Is he good or evil? Is Evil-Lyn's father mentioned anywhere in the original cartoons or comic books? What exactly was his position or title on Eternia?

King Randor's father or grandfather was featured in a flashback in one of the episodes, which one was it again, and what was his name?

The snake around Snake Mountain comes to life in the last episode (the snake god serpos) and then it is sent back the way it was. Are we ever told anywhere in the original MOTU cartoons or comics that the snake around Snake Mountain used to be a living creature?

The Faceless One taks of his mask in the comics, the comics happen in between 200X TV episodes

Quote Originally Posted by Yankovic-Gretzky View Post

Marzo was in the original cartoon.

Yes, I wish it had of lasted longer too. *sigh*
    "I find the movie "Annie" totally unbelievable. Given the option, who would adopt a ranga?"

Mean-Girls.org
    Are you a "Plastic"?

Treat your customers with respect, NO MORE PAINTED BLACK PLASTIC MATTEL!!

Adam's grandfather, Randor's father; Captain Miro is mentioned in "Mekaneck's Lament" episode.

King Miro existed in original cartoon series too.

No word is said about Evil-Lyn's relatives in old continuities. Nothing mentioned of a father.
    The Faceless One (in accordance of comic) was a normal looking human member of Council of Wisdom (in ancient time before Council of Elders), and after a fall-out resigned, taught King Hsss how to unleash Serpos in order to protect his baby-girl.
    Council of Wisdom as punishment turns him into his current form that we see in the toon.

I don't recall any mentioning of Snake Mountain being alive in older continuities. In Filmation episode "Golden Disks of Knowledge", Skeletor does summon "The Snake of Snake Mountain", which is a big snake in the base-section of the Moutain.

The writers intentionally wanted to explore Mekaneck's power and based an episode around how he might feel about his power.
    Original series didn't have many origin-stories or stories were characters dwelve upon their "power". We do get an origin for Sorceress, Marlena, Cringer, Roboto, Modulok, Fisto. Mekaneck is given some quick flashback in "Search for a Son"-episode.

Orko does have many episodes where he questions his powers, abilities, role in the Kingdom and purpose alltogether. The Sorceress, He-Man and rest re-assure him every time.
    Last edited by Jukka; May 25, 2009 at 06:00am.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    The Faceless One taks of his mask in the comics, the comics happen in between 200X TV episodes
    He isn't wearing as mask, he was cursed to look like that.

Heroic Warrior
    Like you i recently decided to watch a few episodes (due to this thread actually) again after not having seen any episodes from the series for years.

WOW. Its even better than i remember it . Im actually very surprised at myself as i dont like watching movies more than once. I already know whats going to happen so why watch (there are rare exceptions). But in this case the series is still "new" to me and ive really enjoyed the few episodes ive watched .

It really saddens me that this series didnt last longer and that there arent any plans to bring it back. It actually makes me mad at Mattel and not want to support their product .

I ...think i just realized how Transformers fans must feel.
    Good Transactions W/: Creasy Bear, Deltadod, Wickethecanuck x2, Chemical Chemical, Jasonwulf, Mike Bock, Windblock2002, CGImmortal x2, Audman , Hairybeastman x2, Man-E-Toys & 2 pppl ive forgotten. More to come :-)

Did all of you notice the similarities between the 2002 Masters of the Universe cartoon series and some of the 1980s DC and STAR MOTU comics? Obviously this was intentional.

In the first Masters of the Universe comic book from STAR Comics in 1986, The Coming of Hordak, Adam and Teela are on jet sleds doing their training and Teela knocks Adam off and he falls.

In the first episode of the 2002 MOTU series, The Beginning, Adam and Teela are also training on hover boards and Adam falls when he hits something.

The Coming of Hordak from 1986 STAR Comics: Skeletor is trying to keep Hordak from getting into Eternia. Similar stories in MOTU 2002 episodes: Separation, The Price of Deceit, The Power of Grayskull, History.

In the 1986 MOTU Star comic "Snakes Alive" Kobra Khan takes Skeletor to the dungeons below Snake Mountain, which Skeletor didn't know about, to release the Snake Men

In the 2002 MOTU episode, "Snake Pit" Kobra Khan does the same thing. He takes Skeletor to the dungeons below Snake Mountain to release the Snake Men.
    Last edited by DynastyMasters; July 4, 2011 at 09:57pm.
    DYNASTY AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE
    http://www.dynastyandthemastersofthe...e.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    and after a fall-out resigned, taught King Hsss how to unleash Serpos in order to protect his baby-girl.
    I didn't know that (I know nothing of the comics).

I only discovered this series in recent times, and I really enjoy it. Gutted that it ended when it did, it's so good.

Pizza flows through me HordeFan's Avatar
    I just finished watching the entire series for the first time. What a fantastic series! Wow. I loved all the history and the animation and characters, wow, just great! Why did this series end? And the toy line for that matter? I'm so sorry I wasn't watching it when it aired to help support it.

I would love a continuation of this series or see direct to dvd releases of new episodes. I know that's probably not going to happen but I would just love to see more of these cartoons! :-)

The Council of Elders are referred to in the DC and Star Comics as the Elders.

Whenever something shocking or unforseen happens, someone says "By the Elders."

The Council of Elders are mentioned and shown in the 2002 cartoon series but not the 1983 cartoon series.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagar View Post
    He isn't wearing as mask, he was cursed to look like that.
    Dagar is right.. The Faceless one never removed his mask because he is not wearing one.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Quote Originally Posted by DynastyMasters View Post
    The Council of Elders are referred to in the DC and Star Comics as the Elders.

Whenever something shocking or unforseen happens, someone says "By the Elders."

The Council of Elders are mentioned and shown in the 2002 cartoon series but not the 1983 cartoon series.
    But in Filmation-show, Zodac does make reference to "Council of Wise".
    He is part of that group (the only one left standing), the ones who guarded the Starseed.

Heroic Warrior
    Man, its just sad to me we never got the season with Hordak and his Horde taking over Eternia. That sounded like it would've been freaking outstanding.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

If I was a billionaire I would have paid Mike Young Productions and the Cartoon Network to keep the 2002 MOTU going on until the whole story was told!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    If I was a billionaire I would have paid Mike Young Productions and the Cartoon Network to keep the 2002 MOTU going on until the whole story was told!!
    You're better off buying MOTU from Mattel.

I wish the MYP cartoon would have kept going in spite of the toyline dying--at least to keep He-Man's name out there. Of course it would have been unheard of...a cartoon based on promoting toys, with no toys to sell.

At least the stories should have been better with no "toy of the month" to shamelessly plug.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; August 27, 2009 at 09:45am.

I'd pay Mattel too! Sorry, forgot about the legal stuff!

because of terrible distribution of toys and difficult time slot (friday night), the whole motu of the new century was dropped. its so upsetting that something with so much potential couldnt get handled properly.

Pizza flows through me HordeFan's Avatar
    Is that why the show ended!? I've been asking around but no one really had an answer. What a shame. Shoot the Mega Millions jackpot is up to 325 million. If I hit it, do you think that's enough to get the cartoon picked up right where it left off!? That was the best cartoon EVER!

Hey, does anyone know where I can score that "Episode 40" comic book?

Really dug the new cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by HordeFan View Post
    Is that why the show ended!? I've been asking around but no one really had an answer. What a shame. Shoot the Mega Millions jackpot is up to 325 million. If I hit it, do you think that's enough to get the cartoon picked up right where it left off!? That was the best cartoon EVER!

I bought the MYP series volume 3 dvd, and the third, special dvd has that in .pdf format. I think there's no other way to get that comic.

Hmm... as Mekaneck said: "If I had my wish...." I wish for... a nice ending to the show, and by ending I mean a REAL ending... for example: He-man kills the snake men, put Skeletor and his minions into he Eternian prison, and that's all...
    Dreaming is nice isn't it?
    Nudge-nudge, wink-wink, eh?

I have the Chocolate!

Heroic Warrior
    The point about King Hiss, Hordak, and Serpos is that they are an eternal evil. They are not human. They cannot be killed. They can only be contained. That's why they had to trap Hiss and Hordak for years.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

In the 2002 MOTU episode, "Snake Pit" Kobra Khan does the same thing. He takes Skeletor to the dungeons below Snake Mountain to release the Snake Men.
    No he didn't actually. Khan went down to the Void on his own after he managed to get in good with Skeletor and got access to Snake Mountain. Skeletor just happened to go after Zodak to the Void after the Snake Men got released.
    "You can not fight the darkness He-man!"-Shokoti-the Queen of Darkness

Arizona Mazter of the Universe

The complete series has been re-released on DVD - box set!

http://www.amazon.com/He-Man-Masters...4793845&sr=1-2

Quote Originally Posted by Shokoti's Slave View Post
    No he didn't actually. Khan went down to the Void on his own after he managed to get in good with Skeletor and got access to Snake Mountain. Skeletor just happened to go after Zodak to the Void after the Snake Men got released.
    Ah yes, but similar story as far as Khan going down below Snake Mountain and Skeletor finding out about what's down there.
    Last edited by DynastyMasters; March 4, 2010 at 08:37pm.

Quote Originally Posted by HordeFan View Post

The toys were a real, real pain to collect. All you saw everywhere was He-Man and Skeletor. I was at a SDCC panel with the 4H and more than one mother stood up and asked the question "why are these so hard to find?". Each time it was asked it lead to applause but It's hard to get kinds into stuff if the toys aren't around.

Mattel simply botched it up.

From the 2002 He-Man Intro thread

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=171900

I am Adam, Prince of Eternia and defender of the secrets of Castle Grayskull. This is Cringer, my fearless friend. Fabulous...

I'm guessing they cut off the rest of the lines from the opening of the original 1983 cartoon series in the opening of the 2002 cartoon series to imply that evil can strike whenever, unannounced, and you better be prepared to stop what you're doing and take action. Life waits for no one. Less talk, more action.
    Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    I think it may have had to do with legalities with Filmation, I know they did recording the entire Adam opening, it`s on the dvd extra`s but Filmation originally wrote that so that`s my guess Your assumption is pretty cool too
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagar View Post
    Guys, sense of humour check here; didn't you get that it was maybe a tongue-in-cheek reference back to the intro of the original show?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I think they just ended up doing it that way to both keep the intro short (it would have been a lot longer with the full speech, thus leaving less time for the actual episode) and as a nod/joke to the original.

They actually did record the lines for the full thing. In one of the extra features on either Vole 1 or 2 of the 200X series on DVD, you see Cam Clarke (voice of He-Man/Adam) recording the lines.

I actually put together a video a while back for a Chicago Horde event. I put just the opening segment on youtube. There's kind of a joke at the beginning, then it goes into what would basically be a 200X version of the original opening (I used the audio from the extra features to complete the thing) with the Filmation theme song used over it.
    I like my take on it better. It would make sense when you think about it.
    Last edited by DynastyMasters; March 6, 2010 at 05:27pm.