View Poll Results: Do you like Hordak's armor?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

54 45.76%
  • No.

42 35.59%
  • Don't care.

22 18.64%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you like Hordak's armor?

I just saw the new pictures of He-Ro on the other thread. he has a sculpted gold painted belly: really AWFUL. they are ruining the line like this. Hordak and He-Ro would have been awesome figures if they gave them full armor. Hordak is still pretty though he would have been a lot better with a full armor but He-Ro is terrible...
    JOIN THE GREAT REBELLION - COLLECTOR'S CLUB TODAY!
    http://www.facebook.com/TGRClub

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I know you don't like the look, but are the 4H held to make MOTUC like the 80's figures?
    Like I said.. imagine Fisto with gray abs !!! That would look awful.
    MOTUC needs:Tung Lashor, Rio-Blast and rest of the Hordes!

WANTED: Minicomics !!! Swords NEEDED !!! MY FEEDBACK

Heroic Weather Oddity Raining Light's Avatar
    kk2--That Skeletor looked bad even in the 80s.

MegaGearMax--
    It doesn't matter what "era" it is.
    It looks bad all the same.
    If we didn't have anything to compare it to, it would probably be different.
    I love everything about Hordak except this.
    I'll still buy my 2 figures.
    It just looks bad.

As far as the other figures--
    I don't like Tri-Klops Doomseeker so much. But I can just put it away.
    Webster, looks good either way.
    MAA fur on his armor is black not green(looks to me)
    and he should of had it all along--he is finally living up to the figure he has always been in my head.

This is now different then the---
    I Like 200X better then MOTUC or visa versa.
    It is a matter of taste.

You want 200X elements.
    There is a giant thread on it,
    but I haven't been posting in it telling you-Hey this is the MOTUC era this is the way they are doing the figures for this era.
    --Nope, in fact I even supported that thread.

Why do people have a problem with us not liking the armor?
    If you don't have an issue with it, thats fine, say so and move on.
    Its like you are trying to convince me Im wrong and your right.

I know it sounds rude.
    I really don't mean it so rude.
    Im just tired of having to defend my POV.
    Last edited by Raining Light; May 28, 2009 at 08:14pm.
    I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity--Edgar Allen Poe

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I'm not telling you not to complain, only what Mattel might be thinking by designing certain characters. Sorry if I came across another way.

But how would you get the armor changed for a re-release? How would you get Toyguru to notice and change any upcoming characters to having better armor?

Other than getting tons of fans to sign a petition or having lots of supporters PMing Toyguru, I'm not sure how you can enact a change. Trust me, I've been there.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

I think BCI Guy hit the nail on the head in another thread (rhyme time!- lol) when he suggested writing a physical letter to Mattel. Even if the letter gets tossed, it can't hurt to try. But, don't think that this poll can hurt anything at all either- at the least, it can serve as an immediate gauge of everyone's opinion

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    I personally like the armor. the original one piece armor was quite restricting and unrealistic. A real hordak couldn't bend at the middle for the same reason this toy wouldn't. The 4 Horsemen's solution of segmenting the armor actually makes it more realistic and practical than the original design. Sure he won't look quite right shirtless or with someone else's armor, but I can't imagine a scenario where I'd be switching armor or displaying him shirtless...
    Check out my various dinosaur sculptures: http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...re-in-progress

Heroic Weather Oddity Raining Light's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I'm not telling you not to complain, only what Mattel might be thinking by designing certain characters. Sorry if I came across another way.

But how would you get the armor changed for a re-release? How would you get Toyguru to notice and change any upcoming characters to having better armor?

Other than getting tons of fans to sign a petition or having lots of supporters PMing Toyguru, I'm not sure how you can enact a change. Trust me, I've been there.
    To be honest-I don't think there is anything we can do.
    There is a small number of us(overall), and I don't believe they will change it.
    But I am also a pessimest(sp?).

The only way I know how to let someone know you dont like something is to tell them. I dont mean to whine about it but I probably am doing that.
    I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity--Edgar Allen Poe

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I just saw the new pictures of He-Ro on the other thread. he has a sculpted gold painted belly: really AWFUL. they are ruining the line like this. Hordak and He-Ro would have been awesome figures if they gave them full armor. Hordak is still pretty though he would have been a lot better with a full armor but He-Ro is terrible...
    how do we know this isn't what He-Ro is supposed to look like?, he's never had a figure before (and the prototype doesn't really count).

we've got some package art and some coloring books. But when has the final product in the 80s line matched the box art (I'm looking at you, Mer-Man).

oh, wait.

this IS what He-Ro and Hordak are supposed to look like, because Mattel owns them, and they say that's what they look like.

Heroic Warrior
    i think it looks fine but if i were to be picky about it, i'd answer no. it's not that i want full-torso armor, it's that i don't like the smooth abs. looks like he's wearing spandex. i love the way they did it with he-ro. just paint the abs the color of the armor and voila - it looks like armor.

Quote Originally Posted by capitalzero View Post
    how do we know this isn't what He-Ro is supposed to look like?, he's never had a figure before (and the prototype doesn't really count).

we've got some package art and some coloring books. But when has the final product in the 80s line matched the box art (I'm looking at you, Mer-Man).

oh, wait.

this IS what He-Ro and Hordak are supposed to look like, because Mattel owns them, and they say that's what they look like.
    So you're saying it's absolutely fine for he-ro to have gold skin under his equally gold armour? so the old he-ro with full armour was GOLD under it?

Give me a story to explain why a man would be gold there... unfortunate smelting accident? :P

Heroic Warrior
    there was no 'old He-Ro'.

so yes, it's absolutely fine.

and if you refer to the prototype, he doesn't appear to be wearing removable armor at all, it looks like his torso is sculpted that way.

and so, yes, he has gold abs.

as for giving you a story, I don't feel any need to explain anything. This is not my property. I don't have to explain what Mattel does.

give me a reason why Spikor is covered in spikes. Why Ram Man has springs for legs, Why nobody notices that Prince Adam and He-Man are the same guy.
    Last edited by capitalzero; May 29, 2009 at 12:34pm.

Quote Originally Posted by capitalzero View Post

oh, wait.

Agreed 100%. This is what they are supposed to look like and they look horrible to me especially He-Ro. You seem to be completely missing the point. The point isn't that they don't look like their classic counterparts. The point is they are ugly. Just that. TC Skeletor is also ugly IMO but he's just one figure. Here we're talking of ALL the line.

Heroic Warrior
    well, you're welcome to that opinion, I think they look great.

I would have liked black abs on Hordak like the staction.
    I don't really mind it stopping at the ab crunch part and making the whole torso black helps
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuukka View Post
    Imagine FISTO with gray abs area !!!
    I wouldn't mind grey either. Snake armour He-man has that. They could paint the whole body to look like a chain mail.
    Problem with Fisto, Jitsu and so on is that the abs would be painted in multiple colors to match the armor and that indeed

Heroic Warrior
    I think Mattel will tackle that problem when they come to it.

I really hope Fisto has two fists, the small classic gauntlet, and the big 200X mitt.

Of course you have a right to have your own opinion. I am certainly not questoning that. if you like them then I am happy for you. Let me explain exactly what I mean by "horrible". Hordak is awesome. The head sculp, the silver details, the accessories, the boots: they're perfect. I don't like the half armor. The armor by itself is HORRIBLE. As a whole, even with the armor, I think the figure still looks great but not as good as he would have been with a full armor. So I think Mattel has lowered it's quality with that choice but I don't mean it's an awful figure. As for He-Ro my thoughts are the same as Hordak PLUS the sculpted belly (not the abs) painted in gold really really irritates me. He looks like some guy who has been the victim of some college-style joke. I won't tell exactly what he reminds me, because it's the last of my intentions to offend anybody but that's definitely NOT a brave valiant Eternian He-Ro.

Heroic Warrior
    the original prototype had gold abs. I don't see the outrage here.

as for Hordak, I find it to be a fair compromise. I for one prefer the retention of the articulation. If this is how it must be done, then I welcome it.

For Fisto and Randor, well, I dunno how that would be implemented, and I might prefer they go full armor with those two, but for Hordak and He-Ro, I'm fine with it.

I really like Fisto's 200X armor, it feels like a heavy plate armor. but it would be very difficult to move in it, if it were real. Of course historically full plate was hard to move in as well, but at least you could curl your chest in it. (I have worn it, and know).

anyway, I think this is a fair compromise. And prefer the preservation of the joint. This is a fantasy world, I think the armor is mostly decorative anyway (otherwise they'd cover their arms and legs better).

I do understand that Vintage fans are upset because it's not like the original (and while this is a throwback line, there's a lot of innovation and detail as well). I sympathise, but I don't agree. I don't see how everything has to be just like it was. Especially considering that was never a promise that was made or implied.

some say it ruins the figure, I say it could be a lot worse.
    Last edited by capitalzero; May 29, 2009 at 01:21pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I don't mind He-Ro's armour actually, the gold abs resembles the look of the prototype quite well.

Hordak's armour does bother me a little, especially if they use the same style for my favourite hero Fisto.

But even though it could be better, it won't stop me buying them.
    Last edited by RocketPunch; May 29, 2009 at 05:19pm.

Heroic Warrior
    I voted "no", but my concerns are more about the head sculpt not looking like the classic figure. Because of this, I'm more excited about his "bat friend" than the actual figure. I'm still buying him, with the hopes that adding more red to his eyes, it'll at least improve the look of his face somewhat.
    ne jabba no badda!

As far as I am concerned, I don't careless if it resembles or not the '80s toy otherwise I would be complaining about the head, the silver and red too - but I am very happy with these additions. I would be happy too if they gave a full armor to TC Skeletor. I just don't like this style. And as for He-Ro the sculpted abs are OK (full armor would be 1000x times better 'though). What bothers me so much is the gold painted navel. I am not joking or trying to be funny. Since I saw the new pics (OK call me crazy) I can't stop looking at how ugly it is - right in the middle of the abs painted in gold. I'll get the figure anyway but I hope to find someway to cover it. They should have removed it. Oh well...at least we know Mattel won't make Kyle or Jesse part of the MOTU line...

Heroic Warrior
    Real Ancient armor routinely featured a sculpted navel as well.

it's just paying respect to anatomical accuracy.

Since this is such a HUGE deal right now, a poll on this issue should be put on the main page and as a sticky on the top of all boards. I'm surprised that so few voted on here since there were so many people discussing it on the main boards.

OH, BTW: I voted that I don't like it and I'm not buying it.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!
    I still don't get the big deal about it. I think it looks fine!
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

he just looks fine in my eyes.

"Don't care."

Hordak is the first figure I will buy two of.

- Joni -
    "My grandfather had a saying: 'Good news can wait. Bad news will refuse to leave.'" - Commander Susan Ivanova (Babylon 5)

Admin @ The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club
    Join our community at:
    The Great Rebellion - Collector's Club

* My MOTU memories
    * My MOTU collection images