Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Im a Completist and i hate it!

Im a Completist and i hate it!

i was thinking that is not fair that mattel do things like king grayskull spirit and silver she-ra in that small amount......... ( its suppose that only 2 of them each not counting the ones for the employes)

i mean why they cannot do a number like limited to 300 or at least 200
    i mean once i will get the few things that im missing i will never going to feel my collection complete because there are 2 huge holes on it ( kg bronze and she-ra silver) action figures that just i dont have the chance to get cause is just impossible!
    i wanted to have every thing in this line and now i realize that after she-ra silver what are this guys going to make this year that i will not able to have never??? ( at least i do a custom) but is not the same feeling of course!!
    right now im only missing kg bronze and 3 tru packs (im living in spain) but i know i will get them kinda soon but the other ones...... there is no way to do it!!
    motucustoms4sale@hotmail.com
    visit my albums:
    awesome trades with: harold, krosfyah, bobtheodd, Agostinho, boggs32, sallah, beastor
    Visit my facebook page 2917 likes already!!!!! XD
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...259610?sk=info

I feel ya. I'm a realist first, and a completist second. Meaning that the things that aren't realistic, or financially possible are simply put out of my mind until/if things change. Bronze Grayskull would be nice, but I don't care about spirits or silver She-Ra's, so I'm not too bummed about them. That being said, I hate exclusives because they're too hard/expensive to get. I love how Matty makes SDCC exclusives available online, and I thought that the Orko exclusive was done perfectly, but Marlena was done just backwards. Those who can afford the hundreds of dollars to go to a con shouldn't get the queen just because they can essentially afford a few hundred dollars for her (hotel,con tickets, plain tickets). In other words Matt just said, "Hey! To those of you who are having to fight to keep up, you're about to get left behind because we're going to lavish only the higher paid fans with what you all deserve for your patronage! Thanks for all your money though!" And it's just as bad with Weaver. >: [

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    I love how Matty makes SDCC exclusives available online, and I thought that the Orko exclusive was done perfectly, but Marlena was done just backwards.
    Unless you are a MOC collector, I don't really see what the problem was with Marlena.

No matter which version you bought ("Queen Marlena" at SDCC, or "Captain Glenn" on Matty) you got the exact same figure with all of the exact same accessories. Both versions came with 2 heads and 2 outfits (her astronaut outfit and her queen dress). The only difference was which outfit/head combo she had on by "default" inside of the package (with the respective other outfit/head being packed lower down in the packaging).

For a loose collector, the only thing that one would be missing by buying only the Matty Collector version is the different bio-card that they put on the SDCC version, but IMO it's not really that big of a deal (because if one is completest over the bio cards, then they would have to obtain both versions anyway regardless of which is sold on Matty and which is sold at SDCC). I can see where it would be more of an issue for a MOC collector who would want to display her in her queen form. But for anyone taking the figure out the package anyway, it is a moot point.

While I can see an argument saying that the more obscure astronaut form should have been the SDCC exclusive and the more well known queen form should have been the Matty version, I'm still overall happy with how she was handled. I wanted 2 of her to display her in both forms, but since both versions came with everything needed and I was not keeping anything MOC, I just bought 2 of them off of Matty and didn't even worry or care about trying to track down the SDCC version.

By contrast, from a completest standpoint (regardless of whether collecting the figures MOC or loose), there were two different versions of Orko. The standard one sold on Matty, and the color changing one sold at SDCC. In this case, it wasn't merely the exact same figure packed differently inside the box... there were actually 2 different versions of the figure entirely. So in this case, in order to get both versions, I had to get the SDCC one. I was very lucky in that I was able to have someone hook me up with one at cost. In fact, since they were wanting one anyway, I just went ahead and ordered an extra standard Matty Orko along with mine and just did a straight trade.

But I may not be so lucky on future exclusives. So frankly, where and when possible, I would much rather the difference between the two versions of an exclusive simply be the variations in the packaging itself and how the item(s) is/are packaged in the box, but with the items, themselves, still being identical (even if that means the more 'obscure' version of the pack out is the one sold on Matty).

As for the likes of the Spirit of Grayskull figure and Silver She-Ra, they don't really bug me. I wouldn't mind getting a Spirit of Grayskull if it were widely available, but conceptually it's not a "must have" figure, and so few of them were produced that as far as I am concerned, it just doesn't count. And I just couldn't care less about Silver She-Ra, even if it was more widely availble. Granted, I would probably get it for completest sake if it was a reasonably easy to obtain (at a reasonable price) figure, but by no means is this a figure that I'm even slightly interested in in-and-of itself.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; March 2, 2012 at 12:57pm.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    That's always been the debate about exclusives, and why, until recent years, con exclusives and such were usually repaints or something not necessary for a "complete" collection. It's only recently that major characters that most would feel the collection would be incomplete without have become con fodder. Then again, that's only happened since the con exclusives also became available on the companies' own websites so non-con goers could get a version of them, so they aren't as hard to get as in years past.

Would I like a stone King Grayskull? Yes. Will I pay the price needed for one? No. So I may not have every version of every MOTUC figure ever made, but I still feel my collection is complete. It all comes down to defining what YOU consider complete, and maybe tailoring that definition to what you can actually get and afford.

We all create our own reality. "Complete" means whatever you say it means.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Silver She-Ra ??? Can someone explain this one to me?
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowl View Post
    Silver She-Ra ??? Can someone explain this one to me?
    For She-Ra's 25th anniversary in 2010, they had an all silver version of the MOTUC She-Ra figure at SDCC, which were handled very similarly to the Spirit of Grayskull figure. There was only 2 of them and they were raffled off.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    So, Silver She-Ra and Spirit of Grayskull aside, what's the big deal about saving some money if you really want it that badly?

There's a Bronze Grayskull on eBay right now for $250.

Honestly, that's not exactly breaking the bank. If you have to have it, save up for a few months. That thing hit it's price ceiling long ago. Stick back $15-$20 a week until you have what you need. What's the big deal?

As far as making major characters exclusives...agreed, it's kind of shady. I dislike PoP, so I didn't care that I missed Shadow Weaver...but if they made Rammy or someone like that a Sub exclusive...I'd be upset. Of course, I still wouldn't subscribe. I'd ante up the the cash to buy it on the secondary market.

We CHOSE this hobby. It wasn't forced upon us.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Heroic Warrior
    silver she ra....GREAT!!! ANOTHER ONE TO ADD TO MY LIST.....LOL i'm a completist as well.

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    This is the case with literally any toyline. it could be a lot worse. Transformers has the "Lucky Draw" figures (usually all gold, always rare and expensive), not to mention the eHobby stuff, HenKei exclusives, and tons of magazine and store exclusives. Difference being, of course, that gathering all of those exclusives in any given year will cost thousands as opposed to a few hundred.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

PLEASE dont even joke about Ram Man being a "SUB ONLY" item....[shivers]...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    So, Silver She-Ra and Spirit of Grayskull aside, what's the big deal about saving some money if you really want it that badly?

There's a Bronze Grayskull on eBay right now for $250.

Honestly, that's not exactly breaking the bank. If you have to have it, save up for a few months. That thing hit it's price ceiling long ago. Stick back $15-$20 a week until you have what you need. What's the big deal?

As far as making major characters exclusives...agreed, it's kind of shady. I dislike PoP, so I didn't care that I missed Shadow Weaver...but if they made Rammy or someone like that a Sub exclusive...I'd be upset. Of course, I still wouldn't subscribe. I'd ante up the the cash to buy it on the secondary market.

We CHOSE this hobby. It wasn't forced upon us.

Quote Originally Posted by Replikor View Post
    It would be a pain, but not toally unexpected. People would subscribe for him. I'd rather pay $70-$80 for him on BBTS, myself.

I'm almost expecting it at this point.

Want, want, want... Do you know there are little kids in Africa who don't even have food? Makes you see everything in perspective...

And isn't 'completionist' subjective? Some people just want all figures, others want blue, red and purple stone He-ro, blue, red and purple stone SDCC tattoo He-Ro and all of these six once more MOC... (12 He-Ro's in total).
    Being completionist is fine, but you just draw the line for yourself what you consider to be a complete collection. Would you be happy with the Spirit of Grayskull alone or would you need to have it loose and MOC (i.e. both existiting figures)?

A 'complete collection' could go a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    It would be a pain, but not toally unexpected. People would subscribe for him. I'd rather pay $70-$80 for him on BBTS, myself.

I'm almost expecting it at this point.
    i'm with you on that. i will never do the sub again, even if it came with a free "insert your own word" job.
    Part Needs: MOTUC
    FEEDBACK

Quote Originally Posted by Replikor View Post
    Initially, weren't the sub exclusives supposed to be non-essential characters, i.e. Preternia He-Man and Wun-Dar? We all saw how they leveraged Shadow Weaver to boost sub sales this time around.

Don't be shocked when the 2013 exclusive is announced and it's someone else that's a key character. I'd be shocked if they DIDN'T use Ram-Man, Meckaneck or someone like that to boost next year's sub.

Quote Originally Posted by stprime View Post
    i'm with you on that. i will never do the sub again, even if it came with a free "insert your own word" job.
    I'm BLOWN away by your resolve!!!
    Last edited by Larry Waters; March 2, 2012 at 02:22pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

I recently freed myself from the chains of being a completeist and LOVE IT! I reeeeeeeeally wanted a Spirit Of Grayskull but not having him or Silver She-Ra never nagged at me or made me feel like my collection wasn't awesome or complete. I'd been neutral about The Star Sisters, but once I got them in hand I was like "I don't dislike these, but I don't actually want these...why would I keep them?" so I sold them and about 10 other figures I had that I DID DISLIKE, like Snout Spout and Yellow-Lyn, that I had only bought to have a 'complete' collection. And life is so much better! I don't stress about reveals cuz now there's no pressure--if I like it I buy it, if not I save my money, and it's awesome! And I was just about out of room, too, so now there's a lot of space cleared up for the upcoming figures I'm actually looking forward to! Side notes: I did get a Spirit Of Grayskull custom from plastique realm and LOVE that thing so much, and I do like Starla and intend to get just her at some point. And I'm happy I have a sub this year and will probably always get one and just sell off the figures I don't want.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    I recently freed myself from the chains of being a completeist and LOVE IT! I reeeeeeeeally wanted a Spirit Of Grayskull but not having him or Silver She-Ra never nagged at me or made me feel like my collection wasn't awesome or complete. I'd been neutral about The Star Sisters, but once I got them in hand I was like "I don't dislike these, but I don't actually want these...why would I keep them?" so I sold them and about 10 other figures I had that I DID DISLIKE, like Snout Spout and Yellow-Lyn, that I had only bought to have a 'complete' collection. And life is so much better! I don't stress about reveals cuz now there's no pressure--if I like it I buy it, if not I save my money, and it's awesome! And I was just about out of room, too, so now there's a lot of space cleared up for the upcoming figures I'm actually looking forward to! Side notes: I did get a Spirit Of Grayskull custom from plastique realm and LOVE that thing so much, and I do like Starla and intend to get just her at some point. And I'm happy I have a sub this year and will probably always get one and just sell off the figures I don't want.
    If it weren't for the difficulty of unloading the unwanted figures, I'd have done the same.

It was the Star Sisters reveal that finally broke me of the need to be a completist.

If it weren't for the difficulty of unloading the unwanted figures, I'd have done the same.
    It's not difficult as long as you're willing to take a loss on the figures, which I was cuz, like you said, being a completist was my choice and not anything that anyone forced me into, so I didn't feel 'owed' anything for having bought them in the first place.

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by stprime View Post
    i will never do the sub again, even if it came with a free "insert your own word" job.
    Snow?

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    It's not difficult as long as you're willing to take a loss on the figures, which I was cuz, like you said, being a completist was my choice and not anything that anyone forced me into, so I didn't feel 'owed' anything for having bought them in the first place.
    To me, "difficulty unloading" and taking a financial loss are the same thing!

I'm NOT paying for the pleasure of selling crap that I don't want.

To me, "difficulty unloading" and taking a financial loss are the same thing!

I'm NOT paying for the pleasure of selling crap that I don't want.
    Fair enough! It also helped that I had a credit card payment coming up soon which meant I needed cash right away if I wanted to avoid any interest!

I'm a huge completiest but....I don't need all 3 he-Ro gems....I can't see what my moc is anyway...also don't have the "queen" I got the captain...I do want the queen but if I get her I get her......I dont have the spirit and I do want him....to me that's an awesome figure that everyone should have. Not a fan of pop so i don't really care about silver she-ra.

But I do have all the figures moc and loose. And have doubles or triples of some characters.

I have the money to spend on the spirit figure when he pops up on eBay but then I think about it I have to be ****ing crazy to spend that much on a blus piece of plastic.....
    http://http://80sMasters.com/
    It's your place for Freedom of Speach for everything MOTU, POP, TMNT, , Horror, Wrestling, DC and Batman, and all other properties that are cool.
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

I sung the thread title to the tune of LMFAO's Sexy and I know it

I've got a hunger in my collection and I know I have to slake it, slake it, slake it
    I'm a completist and I hate it
    Last edited by TheFallen; March 2, 2012 at 07:16pm.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    I was a Completist but I found the cure!........Mo Larr!

There was no way that I was buying that thing, so it flipped a switch in my head and ever since ive been able to pass up things (weapons Rack for EG)

Thanks Robot chicken, your Robot Turkey Dentist saved me money!

So Liberated!!!!

ka
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    For She-Ra's 25th anniversary in 2010, they had an all silver version of the MOTUC She-Ra figure at SDCC, which were handled very similarly to the Spirit of Grayskull figure. There was only 2 of them and they were raffled off.

http://www.princessofpower.co.uk/site/news/0018_01.jpg
    See this is stupid!!!! It's kinda like that JLU Hal Jordan figure they gave away to Mattel exployes years ago...See Mattel doesn't get it they do things like this for what 1-2 people when they could make more and actually make money on them...Mattel is probably the only company that likes putting money in other people's pocket's but their own....

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    See this is stupid!!!! It's kinda like that JLU Hal Jordan figure they gave away to Mattel exployes years ago...See Mattel doesn't get it they do things like this for what 1-2 people when they could make more and actually make money on them...Mattel is probably the only company that likes putting money in other people's pocket's but their own....
    Lots of companies do this as a "thank you" to their employees. Not everything is about making money.