Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 88

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.19!

  1. #51
    Heroic Warrior Mern-Ra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectror View Post
    Well, Mern-Ra,

    If YOU think that "everything is OK", and that all Mattel does is honest and proper, well, that's YOUR opinion, and you're intitled to it !

    It's certainly not mine though... And I have as many rights as you do to express my opinions and concerns.

    And I'm happy to see that there are some people who share the same concerns as I do (see Lord Fallen Eldor).

    I really lack trust regarding Mattel, and I have good reasons. Their repeated marketing bloopers (and yes, no pre-order option, only one website to sell from worldwide and the subscription diktat ARE huge marketing mistakes) and the way they're used to abruptly disrupt a beloved line, plus their denials of their own mistakes (cf. the server problems and the Mer-Man debacle) are not to reassure me.

    You say that "this line sells out fast"... Maybe, BUT you also have to take into consideration that MOTUC is in NO WAY a real priority for Mattel ! It's a nice gift to the fans, but the profits coming from this line are nothing in comparison with other brands that are mass produced and sold in stores. So I don't think it would be a problem for Mattel to stop everything abruptly once more. They did it with the 1980's MOTU line. They did it with the NA line. AND they did it once again with the 200X line. These are FACTS.

    Don't get me wrong : I really LOVE each figure that was released, I think the 4 Horsemen's work is AMAZING, and I really want this line to be a success... But I now understand very clearly that the sucess of the line doesn't only rests on OUR shoulders. Mattel has a HUGE role in there too. And the way the guys at Mattel behave doesn't leave me with a very positive impression. Now, if you speak to the 4 Horsemen or Emiliano or people who actually care for MOTU and for the fans (and fortunately, there are still some great people like that at Mattel), that's another story. But it is very clear that the big fishes at Mattel aren't really into MOTU. Their main (ans maybe ONLY) concern is to make money.

    I just hope and pray real hard that the line will go over 2009, and will survive 2010.

    Hey again,

    Indeed, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and Mattel has made mistakes, and you make a very valid point about MOTUC not being as much of a money maker as a retail line, but it's still selling out so it has to be turning somewhat of a nice profit for them.

    And I'm not sure about your FACTS regarding the previous MOTU lines: I've never followed NA so I can't comment on that, but as for the original line, isn't it true that it had a great run and then after several solid years of sales there was a huge decline that caused them to cancel it? And as for the 200X line, the simple truth there is that is wasn't selling to kids, and that's what is needed to keep a retail line alive; sure, you could probably blame that on the smash/spin blade overload and how they did (or didn't) market it, but Mattel did not end that line abruptly because it was selling, they ended it because it was not selling. If we take what you say as FACT, then that means that 3 times Mattel abruptly cancelled retail lines that were making them lots and lots of money, and that just doesn't make any sense since none of those lines were treated as gifts to the fans like this one defenitely is. I'm just not sure how many factual statements fans who have never worked for the company can make.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

    My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

    Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

    The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

  2. #52
    A Real Master Of Arms nato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    1,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Honestly, I think it would be one big mess if they allowed folks to back out of the subscription, and so I can't fault them for wanting to 'lock in' everyone. Imagine if they allowed it...Some people would probably stop the subscription as soon as there was a character they didn't want, and then complain if there was no way to restart the subscription/if they missed out on future characters.

    Not to be rude, but anyone signing up for the subscription should have some sort of safety net with their funds. If someone is stretched very thin or thinks there's even a possibility they might not be able to afford it, why not just place orders the standard way?

    I don't think that it would be unfair for people to cancel their subscription if they were unhappy with the product. I mean, really........how many consumers really pay for something that they aren't happy with? If you've worked in retail, you know that customers don't have to put up with shoddy products, or paying for something that doesn't meet expectations. And anyone canceling their subscription should be told up-front, that once you cancel, you can NEVER buy a new subscription again.

    That is why I wanted to put the idea of a three-four figure subscription idea into Mattel's head. Because they were able to do it for the last four figures in 2009, I don't see it should be a problem to carry that on. I think it would be beneficial because:

    1. Customers aren't locked in for a LONG period. No complaints on unexpected financial problems and can be finished after 3-4 months. Think that one subscription is $240 a year. For 3-4 months, it would only cost customers $60-80 a year.

    2. Shorter subscriptions would give customers at least 2 confirmed figures that they know about. We knew that we were getting Teela and Webstor when we ordered our subscription. Having ½ of your subscription with character confirmation would maybe sell more subscriptions than not knowing any characters confirmed.

    3. Customers would probably be more apt to buy more than 1 subscription. I bought 2 subscriptions for 2009, because I know that I will be fine for those months. With a yearly subscription, that is a long time, and I don't think it should be necessary for me to horde $500 away because I'm locked into a subscription, and won't know if the company that I work for will close it's doors.

    Not to be rude, but anyone signing up for the subscription should have some sort of safety net with their funds. If someone is stretched very thin or thinks there's even a possibility they might not be able to afford it, why not just place orders the standard way?

    Not everyone here is a doctor or lawyer that can easily not care how much something costs. I don't think it's fair for less fortunate people to have to hide money in their mattresses so they can pay for their toys if they happen to lose their job. Just because someone can afford to pay for something now, doesn't mean that he/she can afford to pay for it later. And that's not fair to the avid MOTU fan. Ordering the standard way would be fine, as long as they don't sell out in the hours when some people are working and can't get to a computer. Hopefully the subscriptions end that nonsense. And I for one, will be monitoring the first year of the sales, and if all of the figures last more than 1 day to order, I will not renew my subscription for the 2nd year....and buy them the standard way.
    Keep The "Classicized" 200x Heads in MOTUC!

    Matty Savings For the Year because of No DOS Purchases: $210

  3. #53
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,957
    Correction : Mern-Ra, if the 200X "didn't sell enough" to children, I must say there again that this was Mattel's fault, not the kids' or the public's !

    If only Mattel had had a valid marketing (with smart case ratios instead of the inept proportions we saw; with figures released being actually available; and most of all avoiding a lot of repaints and variants of the same figures, thus preventing the peg warmers effect) and had promoted the cartoon a bit more seriously (especially abroad), then the 200X line would have kept going and selling ! The truth is that as far as 200X is concerned, the guys at Mattel shot themselves in the foot with their own marketing policy !

    As to what is factual, sorry but you don't need to actually work for Mattel to know about the "facts", and to distinguish facts from fiction ! Experience is enough. I was there all along for MOTU, NA and 200X, and I witnessed firsthand, as a child and then as an adult fan, how Mattel abruptly ended these lines, not to mention Bravestarr and many others...

  4. #54
    The Original! guitargod694's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    6,191
    Alright fellas, that's probably enough on that topic.
    We know what happened with the 200X line, and I'm sure we all have theories about how it could've been done better.

    Let's try to keep our discussion here focused on the current line and the answers to these questions.
    Any further debate on who's to blame for the end of the 200X line, etc... should be done over PM.

    Thanks!
    Bill :: guitargod694

  5. #55
    Heroic Warrior Mern-Ra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectror View Post
    Correction : Mern-Ra, if the 200X "didn't sell enough" to children, I must say there again that this was Mattel's fault, not the kids' or the public's !
    Finally, something we agree on! And yeah, that's probably a good note for us to end on!
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

    My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

    Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

    The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

  6. #56
    Eternian Arashikage King Kahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    nashville, tn
    Posts
    5,798
    i personally like the short answers and found it nicer than the wordy answers that in the end meant the same thing as "no".

    Quote Originally Posted by nato View Post
    I don't think that it would be unfair for people to cancel their subscription if they were unhappy with the product. I mean, really........how many consumers really pay for something that they aren't happy with? If you've worked in retail, you know that customers don't have to put up with shoddy products, or paying for something that doesn't meet expectations. And anyone canceling their subscription should be told up-front, that once you cancel, you can NEVER buy a new subscription again.

    That is why I wanted to put the idea of a three-four figure subscription idea into Mattel's head. Because they were able to do it for the last four figures in 2009, I don't see it should be a problem to carry that on. I think it would be beneficial because:

    1. Customers aren't locked in for a LONG period. No complaints on unexpected financial problems and can be finished after 3-4 months. Think that one subscription is $240 a year. For 3-4 months, it would only cost customers $60-80 a year.

    2. Shorter subscriptions would give customers at least 2 confirmed figures that they know about. We knew that we were getting Teela and Webstor when we ordered our subscription. Having ½ of your subscription with character confirmation would maybe sell more subscriptions than not knowing any characters confirmed.

    3. Customers would probably be more apt to buy more than 1 subscription. I bought 2 subscriptions for 2009, because I know that I will be fine for those months. With a yearly subscription, that is a long time, and I don't think it should be necessary for me to horde $500 away because I'm locked into a subscription, and won't know if the company that I work for will close it's doors.

    Not to be rude, but anyone signing up for the subscription should have some sort of safety net with their funds. If someone is stretched very thin or thinks there's even a possibility they might not be able to afford it, why not just place orders the standard way?

    Not everyone here is a doctor or lawyer that can easily not care how much something costs. I don't think it's fair for less fortunate people to have to hide money in their mattresses so they can pay for their toys if they happen to lose their job. Just because someone can afford to pay for something now, doesn't mean that he/she can afford to pay for it later. And that's not fair to the avid MOTU fan. Ordering the standard way would be fine, as long as they don't sell out in the hours when some people are working and can't get to a computer. Hopefully the subscriptions end that nonsense. And I for one, will be monitoring the first year of the sales, and if all of the figures last more than 1 day to order, I will not renew my subscription for the 2nd year....and buy them the standard way.
    i do think that 4 month subs would be better. i wont do a year. i am not a doctor or lawyer but i am secure in my job. if people have worries just dont get a sub and buy them monthly.

    a pre-order in aug for the dec figure for example solves many problems. if they get 1000 orders and make 1100(10% more) then they have the people that ordered covered plus more for potential new customers without radically upping numbers and potentially getting stuck with a ton of unsold figures. every one is happy until the next thing crops up

    would i like a pre-order that was 3-4 months before the figure hits? yeah but what we have is what they gave us for now. maybe they will see that they had more people biting with the 4 month sub than they did with a 12 month sub and evolve their system a bit.

    the terms of subs are laid out and those that are comfortable with it will do it and those that arent won't. it is pretty cut and dry.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

  7. #57
    Heroic Fan ART Mod! JafariStew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    3,546
    At 1st I thought 6 figure reveal at SDCC was a LOT, as that would take us well into next year, but then I remembered that NYCC 2010 is not untill October, & there is no MOTU COn (like TF, & GI Joe have), & they do not use Toyfair for an online collectors line, so literally this is the LAST chance Mattel has to show the public anything hands on before they come out for a loooonnnnnnggg time.
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

    JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 8.31.14!!

    MOTUC RECORD


    NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

    "Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

  8. #58
    Movie mayhem!
    Patreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,799
    Quote Originally Posted by JafariStew View Post
    At 1st I thought 6 figure reveal at SDCC was a LOT, as that would take us well into next year, but then I remembered that NYCC 2010 is not untill October, & there is no MOTU COn (like TF, & GI Joe have), & they do not use Toyfair for an online collectors line, so literally this is the LAST chance Mattel has to show the public anything hands on before they come out for a loooonnnnnnggg time.
    well and they aren't going to nycc 2010 :-(

  9. #59
    The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    4,621
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Yeah, these answers don't have the optimistic/upbeat feeling as some of the previous WTFWTK sessions.

    The part about us seeing at least 6 new figures gave me a happy, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Montork View Post
    Yeah, it sounds like a Terminator was answering those questions, lol.
    I agree. I can't wait for SDCC.

  10. #60
    Heroic Warrior DaBigfella's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia...
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    I`m actually glad of this answer because now the hundreds of dollars I spent to get a complete almost mint condition set of mini comics will not be for nothing. I`ve noticed over the last few Qand A`s that the answers have been dismissive also
    Seems a bit selfish to me mate.....

  11. #61
    Johan Eggink Eterniandreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    4,584
    Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    I`m actually glad of this answer because now the hundreds of dollars I spent to get a complete almost mint condition set of mini comics will not be for nothing.
    Hey Adam03,

    I am pretty sure your complete almost mint condition set of mini comics () will not loose its value (nominal or emotional) when they bring out a Hardcover trade paperback version.

    It is like complaining your collection of original Van Goghs is loosing value because there is a book out with all the works of Van Gogh

    Allthough collecting should be about what you have and not what you have that others don't, you are still in a select group with your original mini comics. And if you ever want to sell them, think of me first!

  12. #62
    Hero of Eternia zodak74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Point Dread
    Posts
    12,052
    I'm pretty satisfied with these answers. Mostly because it's a relief to me that Mattel is just solely concentrating on giving me a great new action figure each and every month. I imagine that they don't have a big budget to endlessly pour into the MOTU property, and I'd rather be getting good figures then having them spreading their money too thin by compiling a mini-comics art book (sure Bruce Timm would be a huge draw for consumers, but I imagine they'd also have to pay all of the artists involved wouldn't they? And the mini-comics had way more than just one guy cranking these things out back in the day), or including cardboard cut-outs of the old playsets, etc. and just throwing money around and then what if the comics book doesn't sell? What if a new cartoon flopped again the way the 2002 relaunch did? Then buh-bye MOTUC, buh-bye! I'd rather they wait it out and see to it that MOTUC has strong enough legs to stand on it's own and maybe find it's way back to retail, then go nuts with the other merchandise and tie-ins.
    Six new figures plus Battle Cat being shown in a little over a month.
    Sounds good to me!

  13. #63
    Bang your head!!!
    MossMan710179's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    10,543
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    but I imagine they'd also have to pay all of the artists involved wouldn't they
    Not really.
    They paid them back in the day to do the job. I assume Mattel (or any other company for that matter) either commissioned or had the artists and writers work for them in house (Bruce Timm, Alfredo Alcala, Stan Sakai)
    So the art would technically belong to Mattel...
    My art blog:
    http://jeremypeerboom.blogspot.com/

    The Power and Honor Foundation:
    http://www.powerandhonor.org/

  14. #64
    Eternian Historian of Art Lex_Alfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Valencia, Spain
    Posts
    676
    Some comments

    Quote Originally Posted by masterenglish View Post
    BTW, I just noticed that March in Italian is Marzo....Could he be the 2010 March release?!
    Man, I wish I could go to this Con...
    In Spanish too

    Quote Originally Posted by sircory-1 View Post
    The answers definitely sound dismissive. But to be fair, it also seems that the questions (or at least the selection of questions) are put together in a way that is asking Matty for a lot more than what they have already promised or definitely said they were going to do. From this perspective, the questions are greedy and off-base.
    They are not going to reveal any piece of information related to Mattel. It is probably anoying to answer some questions over and over again

    Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    I didn't feel these had the robotic quality, and if you did then perhaps...



    I think that's absolutely a part of it. Remember when these started back up? There would EASILY be 2 pages worth of questions in the first day the thread was opened, now it seems like we're lucky to come up with that many by the time the thread gets closed for the next round.
    In the beginning there was a lot to know (a lot to ask also) but if t5he line is doing well and selling fast, the remaining question is: who's next?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    They already said bonus figures (i.e. repaints) aren't going to be part of the subscription plan, and I'm planning to get each and every standard character anyway, so this doesn't really affect me. I think that's how people should view the subscription..."I'm planning to get all the standard characters anyway."

    The only thing that would tick me off, is if there was no POP at all in 2010.
    Completely agree. You know that you're getting one toy per month, and that this toy is from MotUC, what's everything you need to know

    Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    Hey man, I'm sorry, but there are just a lot of things in your post that DO NOT make any sense:

    1. You talk about them not wanting to see the line last past 2009. Why would any company ever want to end a line that is selling out?! Do you have any idea how rare sell outs are? MOTUC is a bigger cash cow than they ever anticipated, and companies are all about making cash.

    2. All they said about 2009 is that they are focused on it. That does not mean they've forgotten about or stopped planning for anything beyond that. That's all. No need to shudder.

    3. Regarding them not disclosing sales figures of any kind: That is nothing new, and that is standard policy for many, many companies, if not most. They're not trying to screw us with that answer, they're trying to protect themselves just like any other corporation would and probably should.

    4. Regarding the subscription service and democracy: The subscription service is what it is. If you don't like it, don't sign up for it. We have that choice because of democracy. I signed up for it even though I'm not nuts about the format either, but that's my democratic choice.

    5. Repaints: This is not new news, neither is the fact that they'll be considered bonus figures.

    Sorry to go off on you, but the line really is ok, so just don't stress! We all want the line to continue for years to come, and NO ONE wants that more than Mattel since they benefit from a successfull MOTU toy line more than anyone else involved, and that's exactly what MOTUC is, so they've got no reason whatsoever to cancel it.
    WOW AWESOME ANSWERS

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectror View Post
    Well, Mern-Ra,

    You say that "this line sells out fast"... Maybe, BUT you also have to take into consideration that MOTUC is in NO WAY a real priority for Mattel ! It's a nice gift to the fans, but the profits coming from this line are nothing in comparison with other brands that are mass produced and sold in stores. So I don't think it would be a problem for Mattel to stop everything abruptly once more. They did it with the 1980's MOTU line. They did it with the NA line. AND they did it once again with the 200X line. These are FACTS.
    200x was a complete fiasco (only here in Spain? I don't think so) it was quite clear that the line was going to die soon, I got tired of seeing MAA, samurai and battle sound...

    Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    well and they aren't going to nycc 2010 :-(
    I read somewere on the posts that they are going to look for another comic con in order to keep their schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_E View Post
    Hey Adam03,

    I am pretty sure your complete almost mint condition set of mini comics () will not loose its value (nominal or emotional) when they bring out a Hardcover trade paperback version.

    It is like complaining your collection of original Van Goghs is loosing value because there is a book out with all the works of Van Gogh

    Allthough collecting should be about what you have and not what you have that others don't, you are still in a select group with your original mini comics. And if you ever want to sell them, think of me first!
    An Art's History student approves
    Behold the gaseous stench of Skeletor's breakfast burrito!
    Robot Chicken dixit

  15. #65
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    1,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    well and they aren't going to nycc 2010 :-(
    Yeah, this really bugs me. They load exclusives onto SDCC claiming they need to reward the fans who show up. NYCC has been lucky to get a few repaints of figures that weren't all that hard to find in the first place for the most part. The excuse given was usually that they wouldn't have anything ready in time for NYCC, which was usually early in the year. I though that now that NYCC was moved to October next year that this wouldn't be an issue. Even if they ran out of time to make more new exclusives, they could always, worst case scenario, save a couple that would have went to SDCC.

    Now they don't even feel the need to show up at NYCC? How do you claim you must reward fans for showing up at one show (Gleek and He-Ro's exclusive something-or-other come to mind) and in the next breath say you're not even going to show up at another?

  16. #66
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    205
    Hahaha! I think any of us could have just answered those questions. We would've answered the same way. At any case, I remember time and time again Matty saying that Germany was the biggest buyer outside of the United States. Looking forward to getting the updates from SDCC. It really does sound like they are being as cautious as they can be with answers like "we're only focused on 2009." That has been the case since day 1 with them. I think that being cautious is probably a good thing, especially at this point with the birth of this new line, economy issues, etc.

  17. #67
    The Original! guitargod694's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    6,191
    Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    Yeah, this really bugs me. They load exclusives onto SDCC claiming they need to reward the fans who show up. NYCC has been lucky to get a few repaints of figures that weren't all that hard to find in the first place for the most part. The excuse given was usually that they wouldn't have anything ready in time for NYCC, which was usually early in the year. I though that now that NYCC was moved to October next year that this wouldn't be an issue. Even if they ran out of time to make more new exclusives, they could always, worst case scenario, save a couple that would have went to SDCC.

    Now they don't even feel the need to show up at NYCC? How do you claim you must reward fans for showing up at one show (Gleek and He-Ro's exclusive something-or-other come to mind) and in the next breath say you're not even going to show up at another?
    I think it is a scheduling issue.
    There are tons of comic/toy shows and they can't go to all of them.
    We'll just have to wait and see if they end up going somewhere else!
    Bill :: guitargod694

  18. #68
    Bang your head!!!
    MossMan710179's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    10,543
    Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    I think it is a scheduling issue.
    There are tons of comic/toy shows and they can't go to all of them.
    We'll just have to wait and see if they end up going somewhere else!
    Well it's going to be Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo's first year next year (April 16-18).
    New York City Comic Con is being moved to October 8-10, 2010... So who knows ...
    My art blog:
    http://jeremypeerboom.blogspot.com/

    The Power and Honor Foundation:
    http://www.powerandhonor.org/

  19. #69
    Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    6,195
    Yeah, someone needs to re-ask the 4 month subscription question WITHOUT any canceling part attached to it.

  20. #70
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    977

    "Blind" Subscriptions

    You know, as a reader of comic books, and married to a reader of magazines, I find all of the complaining about not know what figures are coming in the subscription a little "funny".

    When you sign up for a subscription to a comic book or magazine, the only thing you know up-front is what the general type of content will be. You do not know the specifics of what will be in each issue ahead of time. For example, you don't know what the story in the next 12 issues of a comic book are going to be, in a magazine (especially news-focused) you don't know what the exact content of articles will be.

    For the MOTUC, the general "type of content" is that you will get a MOTUC action figure (non-bonus or repaint, as Mattel has said numerous times). The exact content is which figure will come each month. Luckily, the model Mattel is using is similar to what we have with comics; the exact content for a specific month is "advanced solicited" a few months in advance.

    The only reason subscribing blindly should be a problem is if you know there are figures you may not want. The subscription service is really for people (like me) who enjoy all things MOTUC & want to get all of the standard figures (and probably many of the bonus figures).

    My only "complaint" about the subscription is that if we want the "extra" figure on months that there are extras, we have to pay separate shipping and handling fees. Unless subscription figs ship prior to "go live" time, it would be nice (maybe for next year's subscription) if we could order the extra figure and put in like a subscription number or something to have the figures bundled for shipment to save Mattel and us a little bit of money.

    As for Cringer... what I would LOVE to see is a "package", maybe at SDCC NEXT year, with Adam and Cringer together. But I am so stoked about getting Battle Cat in the near future... YAY!

  21. #71
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    1,458
    Quote Originally Posted by mjharwood View Post
    You know, as a reader of comic books, and married to a reader of magazines, I find all of the complaining about not know what figures are coming in the subscription a little "funny".

    When you sign up for a subscription to a comic book or magazine, the only thing you know up-front is what the general type of content will be. You do not know the specifics of what will be in each issue ahead of time. For example, you don't know what the story in the next 12 issues of a comic book are going to be, in a magazine (especially news-focused) you don't know what the exact content of articles will be.

    For the MOTUC, the general "type of content" is that you will get a MOTUC action figure (non-bonus or repaint, as Mattel has said numerous times). The exact content is which figure will come each month. Luckily, the model Mattel is using is similar to what we have with comics; the exact content for a specific month is "advanced solicited" a few months in advance.

    The only reason subscribing blindly should be a problem is if you know there are figures you may not want. The subscription service is really for people (like me) who enjoy all things MOTUC & want to get all of the standard figures (and probably many of the bonus figures).

    My only "complaint" about the subscription is that if we want the "extra" figure on months that there are extras, we have to pay separate shipping and handling fees. Unless subscription figs ship prior to "go live" time, it would be nice (maybe for next year's subscription) if we could order the extra figure and put in like a subscription number or something to have the figures bundled for shipment to save Mattel and us a little bit of money.

    As for Cringer... what I would LOVE to see is a "package", maybe at SDCC NEXT year, with Adam and Cringer together. But I am so stoked about getting Battle Cat in the near future... YAY!
    The main difference to me between this and a magazine or comic sub is that with the latter you are doing it for a cheaper price as well as convenience. For MOTUC, I felt like it was either do it, or miss out on some figure I want. It's not like people worry that they might not find the latest PEOPLE magazine if they don't subscribe.

  22. #72
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    977
    Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    The main difference to me between this and a magazine or comic sub is that with the latter you are doing it for a cheaper price as well as convenience. For MOTUC, I felt like it was either do it, or miss out on some figure I want. It's not like people worry that they might not find the latest PEOPLE magazine if they don't subscribe.
    Cheaper price may not be a factor, but convenience is; not having to log-on the 15th of every month and just knowing my figure will show up a few days later is very much a convenience.

    And I would hope that the 15th rush is lessened by people signing up for subscriptions... if even 20% of the buyers signed up, there's that much less volume on the "hot date".

  23. #73
    Movie mayhem!
    Patreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,799
    Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    I think it is a scheduling issue.
    There are tons of comic/toy shows and they can't go to all of them.
    We'll just have to wait and see if they end up going somewhere else!
    Yes, but isn't NYCC the second biggest in the US? If its really about the fans then wouldn't you want to go to the place that is easiest to find them

    Quote Originally Posted by MossMan710179 View Post
    Well it's going to be Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo's first year next year (April 16-18).
    New York City Comic Con is being moved to October 8-10, 2010... So who knows ...
    I know that thats been speculated, but where are you getting this confirmation about CCE?

  24. #74
    The Original! guitargod694's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    6,191
    Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    Yes, but isn't NYCC the second biggest in the US? If its really about the fans then wouldn't you want to go to the place that is easiest to find them
    Ideally, yes... but there are other factors involved.
    They were there when it worked with their schedules, now it doesn't.
    Maybe they can make it work again in 2011. Who knows?

    Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    I know that thats been speculated, but where are you getting this confirmation about CCE?
    http://www.chicagocomiccon.com

    EDIT: Just to be super-clear... there is no info about Mattel going or not going, just about the dates and location of CCE.
    Bill :: guitargod694

  25. #75
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    1,458
    Quote Originally Posted by guitargod694 View Post
    I think it is a scheduling issue.
    There are tons of comic/toy shows and they can't go to all of them.
    We'll just have to wait and see if they end up going somewhere else!
    There are plenty of smaller shows throughout the year, but SDCC, NYCC, and the upcoming Chicago show are supposed to be the 3 major ones. You would think that Mattel, one of the biggest toy companies out there, would WANT to go to a place filled with potential customers who they know are interested in the sort of thing they sell.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •