Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wun-Dar

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    If people are gonna make fakes, they'll do it anyway. They have been for years and no doubt will continue to do so.

Personally I just see it as a fun nod for fans, and would make an interesting sort-of-variant figure.
    Gotta agree there.
    Even if Mattel came up with proof that the brown-haired figure originally was just a random, not-so-rare variant, it wouldn't have any impact on the current price rate for the figure. And sellers claiming the figure to be a Wonder Bread mail-away specialty won't drive prices up. Not to mention that most fans buying figures in that price range already know that the figure's true origins are unknown, anyway.

I totally dig the name, it's the first of the new ones that I really like, and I wouldn't mind seeing a MotUC figure called Wun-Dar - as long as the real name ain't Wun-Dar Bret.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

I like it too.

The name to me sounds like maybe, (going off the current MOTUC bios,) that Wun-Dar is the heroic, yet barbaric or savage, equivalent to He-Man, from the "timeless dimension on Trolla" And this "alternate-type" dimension on Trolla is where we would also find related characters such as the Green Goddess....
    – No comment.

Could even be that "Wun-Dar" isn't even going to be his real name, but rather it'll be to the Savage figure what "Demo-Man" was to Skeletor. Remember that "Demo-Man" needed to be trademarked so that it presumably will be mentioned on the back of future Skeletor figures, and not as Skelly's real name. Might not "Wun-Dar" be used, not as his name at all, but as the name of his mysterious remote village or tribe? Or the magic word he says or something? The name "Wun-Dar" doesn't have to be his name to explain the existence of this trademark, so if it's used in one of these lesser ways, it wouldn't, as Val says, be seen as propagating a false rumor, would it?
    Still remembers we paid excessive shipping on Battleground Teela. Is confident Matty will resolve the issue and make it right for us.

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Coming out of retirement to point out a problem with the potential use of Wun-Dar.

If this name is in fact to be used for a Savage He-Man variant (which we do not know to be the case),
    the long term implications of this are negative.

There never was a Wonder Bread He-Man variant.
    I worked with Mattel in 2001 to discover it never existed.
    Mattel was originally planning to do a commemorative release of Wonder Bread He-Man in the 2001 Commemorative line.
    But after researching records on hand at Mattel, and after speaking directly with IBC on numerous occasions, it became clear that this was a variant of unknown origin.
    And the idea was scrapped.

The original Wonder Bread mail-away origin is strictly an internet rumor that began at Toy Archive, that was mixed up with the actual Wonder Bread trading card set mail-away.

If Mattel was to attach a name to this figure, linking it to Wonder Bread even as a joke or "nod to fans" indirectly validates a known rumor.

This will give rise to more auctions hyping a false rare origin and prompts yet more fake customs, all in an effort to take money from fans because of a rumor.
    Some fans may get a kick out of the name (I'd be behind it too if the mail-away it references actually existed), but a moment's chuckle from fans for its use does not outweigh the long term benefit to profit seekers / not fans.

I truly hope Mattel does not do this, if by chance this is their plan.
    Mattel should disconnect itself from a known rumor in any way possible, and either create a new origin, or spend more time tracking down the actual origin of Savage He-Man.
    I feel that is the responsible course of action.

After 10 years of dealing with this rumor, I know a problem when I see it.
    i absolutely agree! as cute of a throw to fans as it seems. it would totally set in stone the flase truth of the real fig. and thats just bogus!

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

If people fall for fake variants and fake customs it's not Mattel's fault...
    Come on!!!
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

My Feedback thread!!

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy warrior View Post
    i absolutely agree! as cute of a throw to fans as it seems. it would totally set in stone the flase truth of the real fig. and thats just bogus!
    To be fair, Wonder Bread He-Man was never confirmed to be an official Mattel variation either. (Toyguru said it was possibly a bootleg) So they're already doing that by claiming the figure/color combination as their own.

I agree with what Spacedust said.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

My guess is that since he was on the NYCC announcment slide Wun-dar (Wonderbread / Savage He-man) WILL BE made:

Otherwise it would be pretty stupid to put him on the slide...

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Wun-Dar would be an AWESOME name for WB/Savage He-Man.
    Very clever, IMO.

And I don't see the issue with encouraging fakes either.

IMO, if fans are willing to spend that kind of money to get that "one last rare figure" then they might as well be buying a custom anyway, especially since there's really no sure way of authenticating any of those figures at this point.

I have to say I like the name as well!
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Wun-Dar would be an AWESOME name for WB/Savage He-Man.
    Very clever, IMO.

And I don't see the issue with encouraging fakes either.

IMO, if fans are willing to spend that kind of money to get that "one last rare figure" then they might as well be buying a custom anyway, especially since there's really no sure way of authenticating any of those figures at this point.
    Agreed. I'm all for the Savage He-Man and have high hopes for his bio to make him a unique character.

Coming out of retirement to point out a problem with the potential use of Wun-Dar.

If this name is in fact to be used for a Savage He-Man variant (which we do not know to be the case),
    the long term implications of this are negative.

There never was a Wonder Bread He-Man variant.
    I worked with Mattel in 2001 to discover it never existed.
    Mattel was originally planning to do a commemorative release of Wonder Bread He-Man in the 2001 Commemorative line.
    But after researching records on hand at Mattel, and after speaking directly with IBC on numerous occasions, it became clear that this was a variant of unknown origin.
    And the idea was scrapped.

The original Wonder Bread mail-away origin is strictly an internet rumor that began at Toy Archive, that was mixed up with the actual Wonder Bread trading card set mail-away.

If Mattel was to attach a name to this figure, linking it to Wonder Bread even as a joke or "nod to fans" indirectly validates a known rumor.

This will give rise to more auctions hyping a false rare origin and prompts yet more fake customs, all in an effort to take money from fans because of a rumor.
    Some fans may get a kick out of the name (I'd be behind it too if the mail-away it references actually existed), but a moment's chuckle from fans for its use does not outweigh the long term benefit to profit seekers / not fans.

I truly hope Mattel does not do this, if by chance this is their plan.
    Mattel should disconnect itself from a known rumor in any way possible, and either create a new origin, or spend more time tracking down the actual origin of Savage He-Man.
    I feel that is the responsible course of action.

After 10 years of dealing with this rumor, I know a problem when I see it.
    way to save the day cap't buzzkill

i see your point and the fact that it doesn't officially exist but it is a good nod to fan "lore". wonder bread he-man may not exist but it doesnt negate the fact that he is in the conscious minds of many he-fans to the point that he DOES "exist" if you see what i am saying.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Quote Originally Posted by Poe Ghostal View Post
    Val, what would you think if the figure packaging said "Savage He-Man" but the "Real Name" on the bio was Wun-Dar? Would that be acceptable?
    That wouldn't be so bad.
    At least he wouldn't be titled "Wun-Dar" on the face of the packaging.

The big concern is the long term problems.
    A lot of users here have only been active on this site for a few years.
    While I, on the other hand, have dealt with the negative side effects of this rumor for over a decade.
    And while I'm taking a step back from things here on the site, I'll still be dealing with it for years to come because I care about what happens to fans.

For over a decade, many fans have been cheated due to misinformation, misleading auctions, etc.
    None of you have witnessed the true scope of problems arising from this rumor.
    Any justification of any sort of this rumor, IMO, only serves to maintain the problem on some level.

I can just see shady sellers on eBay citing Wun-Dar as proof of the mail-away and using it as a tool to line their pockets when dealing with uninformed fans.
    And while it's up to the buyer/bidder to inform themselves, it does make it harder to denounce the rumor when there's even the tiniest bit of acceptance of it by Mattel.

That's my only concern: the continued problems that may arise for years to come.
    And anything I can do to properly inform and protect fans is one of my top priorities.
    Even a playful nod to a rumor just isn't worth it IMO.

Of course, there's always a solution that may allow the best of both worlds!
    I think having some sort of actual public statement on file from Mattel saying this mail-away never existed would be the only real way to put it to rest for good.
    Then they could Wun-Dar it up until the cows come home as far as I'm concerned.

I can just see shady sellers on eBay citing Wun-Dar as proof of the mail-away and using it as a tool to line their pockets when dealing with uninformed fans.
    See, to me it doesn't make a difference if the seller calls him Wonder Bread He-Man, 'cause I feel like everyone pretty much knows that the figure is hard-to-find/boderline rare anyway. The way I see it, someone could also claim that it's misrepresentation 'cause technically the figure shouldn't be officially associated with the MOTU line, since Toyguru couldn't confirm that Mattel did a brown-haired variation. I mean, sure it's stamped Mattel Taiwan and whatnot, but for all we know it could've been sold in a plastic baggie with a header card under a completely different brand name.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

i for one would love it, I really dont think any fans would be hurt by this, b/c even if mattel does not release this, people will still pay good money for the "wonder bread" he-man, even if it really was never a wonder bread he-man but just a good knock off.

You both are pointing out the problem.

We don't know the figure's actual origins.
    If it is in fact just a bootleg, and was verified as such, it's perceived value will go down.

Most collectors have shelled out a lot of money because they think this is actually a rare mail-away item that was part of the line.

Any validation of the rumor lends to this problem.
    I promise you this.

But, I did point out a solution above.

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    You both are pointing out the problem.

We don't know the figure's actual origins.
    If it is in fact just a bootleg, and was verified as such, it's perceived value will go down.

Most collectors have shelled out a lot of money because they think this is actually a rare mail-away item that was part of the line.

Any validation of the rumor lends to this problem.
    I promise you this.

But, I did point out a solution above.
    But I don't really see it as a "validation" as such. People will likely fall into one of two camps: Either they'll be clueless as to it's meaning, or (more hardcore fans) will likely chuckle and get the in-reference.

I can't see it leading to a sudden rush to e-bay for people to buy the "original". The only people likely to fall for fakes would probably be the same as those who have been for all these years anyway.

Oh, and I hope my comments are taken as light hearted discussion - I don't mean to be rude to anyone
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar
    And while I'm taking a step back from things here on the site, I'll still be dealing with it for years to come because I care about what happens to fans.
    HUH? Did I miss something? What's going on with all this "retirement" talk? Not that you don't deserve a break, but, um yeah, your our fearless leader! Scoop please!

Impin' Ain't Easy! DreamTripper's Avatar
    Although I do like the name, and the nod to us fans, I have to agree with Val. But I would love to see this Savage He-Man. Yet another in the Grayskull bloodline that my canon includes. He-Ro, King Grayskull, Savage He-Man, He-Lok, He-Man & She-Ra, and He-Ro, son of He-Man.

Support Bili the Droid
    It's GrAyskull. It's posted all over the packaging and this site.
    CANON-the body of rules, principles, or standards accepted as axiomatic and universally binding in a field of study or art, such as a storyline
    CANNON-a mounted gun for firing heavy projectiles; a gun, howitzer, or mortar.

I will change my avatar as soon as Imp is made in MOTUC

Of course, there's always a solution that may allow the best of both worlds!
    I think having some sort of actual public statement on file from Mattel saying this mail-away never existed would be the only real way to put it to rest for good.
    Then they could Wun-Dar it up until the cows come home as far as I'm concerned.
    But if they do as you suggest, then the very existence of a new MOTUC He-Man with savage brown locks would still constitute "the tiniest bit of acceptance" of the false rumor, wouldn't it? Regardless of if they have such a public statement, regardless of whether "Wun-Dar" appears anywhere on the package's front or back, even regardless of if the figure comes in a package or just a plain baggie! Ebay sellers would still use the MOTUC figure as an acknowledgment to suit their ends. If they're inclined to misrepresent some bit of toy history, they'll quite readily just ignore any public statements that don't help them, and tout the newly produced figure if it does help them, don't you think?

I understand and will take your word that there's a problem with propagating the debunked rumor about Wonder Bread, but surely if there's a risk, shouldn't it be with the actual making of a MOTUC Savage figure, not with the new trademarked word?
    Still remembers we paid excessive shipping on Battleground Teela. Is confident Matty will resolve the issue and make it right for us.

I gotta chime in here real quick because honestly, at least in terms of his name, Wun-Dar, first makes me think of Dar which reminds me of the never produced "He-Ro: Son of He-Man" character (if that was even his name,) and Dar in general, just sounds like a "barbaric" name,

and then second, with the add-on of "Wun-" sounding of course like "wonder" just makes me think of this man as having some type of magical abilities, which earns him the nickname "Wonder(Wun-Dar) man."

And honestly, I think that is mainly due to the spelling of "Wun-Dar" and because when I think of "Wonder Bread," I know how it's spelled.
    Last edited by Neutro; June 11, 2009 at 03:30pm.
    – No comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bolty-Neck View Post
    Could even be that "Wun-Dar" isn't even going to be his real name, but rather it'll be to the Savage figure what "Demo-Man" was to Skeletor. Remember that "Demo-Man" needed to be trademarked so that it presumably will be mentioned on the back of future Skeletor figures, and not as Skelly's real name. Might not "Wun-Dar" be used, not as his name at all, but as the name of his mysterious remote village or tribe? Or the magic word he says or something? The name "Wun-Dar" doesn't have to be his name to explain the existence of this trademark, so if it's used in one of these lesser ways, it wouldn't, as Val says, be seen as propagating a false rumor, would it?
    You bring up an interesting point.

Since Savage He-Man was said to come from WonderBread, maybe Wun-Dar is a place of origin rather than a name for the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    You bring up an interesting point.

Since Savage He-Man was said to come from WonderBread, maybe Wun-Dar is a place of origin rather than a name for the character.
    That's true. They trademarked "Despondos" back in August, too. That's a pretty darn good guess, actually! Savage He-Man from an alternate universe Eternia known as "Wun-Dar"...works for me!

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    I had no idea the vintage figure was never a Mattel release. So Val, what you are saying is that every one we have ever seen anywhere is a fake? How long do we know that this figure has been around? I for one am all for a Savage He-Man in the MOTUC line.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastmaster View Post
    Maybe Wun-Dar is his last name... and his first name Brett

Get it?....
    I had to read that a couple times.....
    funny stuff.

It would be a typical MOTU name, but at the moment we are all assuming it's Savage He-Man, maybe it's nothing to do with him at all!
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!