Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTUC He-Ro Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Yep, we've been saying that for ages
    That's why we didn't liked King Grayskull so much and we like less having the 2 characters split. They were the same concept, but Mattel chose to ignore He-Ro int eh MYP series and just create a new version of the same guy, taking away all was unique to him and making him a more powerful He-Man clone.
    Exactly! He-Ro was already such a great part of MOTU history. As the most Powerful Wizard in the Universe, and the Preternian defender of Castle Grayskull, his unique design and powers made him a great complement to He-Man, and the history of Castle Grayskull. I still don't understand why Mattel and MYP didn't simply use He-Ro in the mythology of the show, rather than create a simple He-Man analogue to fulfill the same role. Oh well, I guess that's what's great about having so many different mythology's and continuity's over the years. We can each chose the one that appeals to us the most.

The more I see of it the better the actual figure looks. It's a bit unfortunate that the bio seems to keep getting what I feel are worse and worse. The Sword of He?... I think that is the worst. Name. Ever. But He Ro himself looks spectacular. I can see him quickly becoming my favorite figure.

Is the "sword of He" really any worse than the name "He-ro"? Granted you kind of have to let the silly names fly to be a MOTU fan but He-ro was always one of worst names IMO. At least now the "He" sort of makes some sense - a bit like adding "Prime" to the back end of the name of whatever bot has the Transformer's Matrix of Leadership (Vector, Optimus, Rodimus). Whover has the Power of Grayskull gets he "He" prefix but Adam wanting to remain annonymous goes with "He-Man" vs. "He-Adam"?

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Then why isn't it "He-Skull" too?

Sorry, but I tired of hearing the defense of "MotU has ALWAYS been cheesy so why stop now?"

In that case, why get even new sculpts? Why waste the 4H's time?

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post

Sorry, but I tired of hearing the defense of "MotU has ALWAYS been cheesy so why stop now?"

Well to me personally, I've always accepted that most of the names in MOTU and POP are just because of the cultures the character's come from. Having "or" added to the ending of a name may just be the cultural norm/majority as like having the last name "Smith", "White", "Black", etc... is to us.

There are of course some names that are much easier to swallow than others...Whiplash, Tri-Klops, Trap Jaw, Evil-Lyn are much easier to accept than names such as Webstor.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwolf View Post
    Is the "sword of He" really any worse than the name "He-ro"? Granted you kind of have to let the silly names fly to be a MOTU fan but He-ro was always one of worst names IMO. At least now the "He" sort of makes some sense - a bit like adding "Prime" to the back end of the name of whatever bot has the Transformer's Matrix of Leadership (Vector, Optimus, Rodimus). Whover has the Power of Grayskull gets he "He" prefix but Adam wanting to remain annonymous goes with "He-Man" vs. "He-Adam"?
    Of course it's worse! If it wasn't around when we were kids, it's worse! Like the new names for the bios: so much worse than Mer-Man or He-Man! Those names are awesome!

Seriously though, I'm with you. I actually like the name 'cause it's goofy and goes along with the goofy names we grew up with! I remember when I first found out about He-Ro...I thought it was a joke! I was amazed to find out that they were actually gona go with a name that was simpler than He-Man! That's part of why I like the He-Ro name; it's hilarious! So glad his name is Ro, too. Sounds kinda cool, but also sticks with the goofy names thing that's fun and interesting.
    Last edited by Alexx; June 12, 2009 at 01:12am.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

But Alexx…I don't understand what you're saying. If "the sword of He" is a bad idea simply because it wasn't around when we were kids…then how can you like the name "Ro"?? Gray was He-Ro's original or at least intended original name back in the 80s.

I think what Darkwolf is saying makes sense. Interesting idea for the whole thing. It'll be interesting to see how Mattel fleshes that one out. I must admit though, it would have been nice to find out what some of He-Ro's powers were. I mean, he's got this huge staff and what now appears to be THE ORIGINAL POWER SWORD. I guess it's safe to assume he had all of He-Man and She-Ra's capabilities and then some?
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

I think Alexx was being facetious when he said of course it's worse. That's how I took it anyway (if we're being objective, "Mer-Man" and "He-Man" aren't creative or original names at all really).

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I think Alexx was being facetious when he said of course it's worse. That's how I took it anyway (if we're being objective, "Mer-Man" and "He-Man" aren't creative or original names at all really).
    Yeah…the "he-man woman-haters club" from the Little Rascals comes to mind…and that was decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I think Alexx was being facetious when he said of course it's worse.

I would hope so, I don't expect any one of that mindset to be able to be that open about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post

I don't view so much as a defense, but as a quandary. I'm often confused as to how something "old ridiculous" can be vehemently defended while something "new ridiculous" is deemed unacceptable. Generally, the difference is because of the relative state of the introduction - kids born in the late nineties will grow up to excuse the flaws of MOTU 200x the way we excuse the flaws of MOTU. If any of the "Classics Mythos" makes it way into a kids head - will they be annoyed by future ridiculousness, but excuse the sword of He or and Hector Horde?

I agree that Classics shouldn't be as tongue-in-cheek. It's not MOTU 200X which had room for kidiculousness. It's for the "Adult Collector" afterall. They should be keeping the relative age of their buyers in mind when they come up with this stuff. On the other hand, I don't think they should be slave to all the old ideas for this classics line either. They should take it in new directions.
    Last edited by Daniel Lynch; June 12, 2009 at 12:46am.

Yeah I just reread what Alexx posted…he's totally being facetious about it. Sorry Alexx.

Quote Originally Posted by donsegar View Post
    Ok if He-Ro has the "Sword of He", I wonder if She-Ra's bio will mention a "Sword of She"? And since He-Ro's real name is now "Ro" then I'm guessing She-Ra's real name will now be "Ra" perhaps?

the way bios and names have been going, i wouldn't doubt it
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    Yeah I just reread what Alexx posted…he's totally being facetious about it. Sorry Alexx.
    No harm done! The joke is all that matters. I was actually afraid I was being a little mean in my
    facetiousness!
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Let's add something to the debate.
    Aside from my opinions about some elements demolishing the uniqueness of certain MOTU mythos (Castel Grayskull means nothing so fare, now we have 3 swords, 4 if we consider the Power Swors split in 2, He-Man being a copy of King Grayskull) we're facing the same problem happened with King Grayskul... even if on smaller level.

We had He-Ro, but Mattel came up with KG to fill the same role.
    Now we have He-Ro, who already had a secret identity: Gray, and now he's just "Ro"
    We had already another sword in the MOTU mythology: the Sword of the Ancients seen in both The Masks of Power minicomics and cartoon episode.
    it would have been a great nod to the fans and a great homage to the story using that sword for He-Ro, instead of this new Sword of He.

Fun facts about te Sword of Ancients:
    -if I remeber correctly the SoA merges with Power Sword at the end of the cartoon, while it just disappear in the ground in the minicomic.
    -in the minicomic, it's portraied as a pink version of the Powersword, very similar to Prince Adam toy's sword.

Ya see, I just thought the writer of Masks of Power just wasn't up to speed. But as you have pointed out that it was also in the cartoon (I can't remember), I think that would've been cooler to have that as He-Ro's sword.

But to be honest, I find it all rather confusing as to what going. Especially as we are getting the 200x sword with Man-At-Arms.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

The only problems the MOTUC bios are creating is when we surrender to our natural fan inclination to "fit it all together". MOTUC is it's own thing, classic-inspired to be sure, but still a blending of the different mythos.

The MOTUC mythos is 12 bios long. That's all there is. Now if their is internal conflict between the bios, that's one thing.

I like the idea of KG and He-Ro being contemporary and He-Ro passing the sword on to KG so much better than them being one person. He-Man needs his masters and I'd love to see Pre-Eternia had a big roster of Masters too. And maybe get figures...

What if Classics makes a new character? Would that be okay with most of the folks or should that be a no-no?
    Last edited by Daniel Lynch; June 12, 2009 at 12:32pm.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Hi I Universally ignore the bios, I just throw the cards out as soon as I open them, But As I said in another thread I Really like the idea of 'Sword Of He' because Id like to think that Mattel are possibly creating a ancient Eternian Language, and the 'He' Prefix stands for 'King' or 'Power' etc, just as 'Chi' means Lifeforce in our to us. so for the 1st time EVER Im actually intrigued by the bios, and looking forward to the next few to see what they come up with.
    And I know theres a lot of gripeing about the bios, but in all honesty, In a few years there will be new fans who say the MOTUC bios are the correct Cannon, just like the majority of us go by the filmation cannon, I personally consider the true cannon the 1st four mini comics, before all the transformation and 'I have the power' stuff.
    so basically its up to us as adults to decide what we think is the legend, and stick by it cos Mattel own these characters and they can write whatever they want.
    Im just enjoying having these toys turn up on my doorstep.
    aj
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Heroic Warrior

Great Figure, Strange Storyline.

Hi Guys,

It seems that when MYP created King Greyskull it threw a huge wrench into the MOTU

continuity. He-Ro is truly a unique character and I don't know why Mattel has to make KG

the center of everything MOTU. I really want to see them explain how KG obtains the

Sword Of Protection. I can't wait for the He-Ro figure.

Thank you.
    Last edited by justiceleague; June 12, 2009 at 06:59pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Yep, we've been saying that for ages
    That's why we didn't liked King Grayskull so much and we like less having the 2 characters split.
    They were the same concept, but Mattel chose to ignore He-Ro in the MYP series and just create a new version of the same guy, taking away all was unique to him and making him a more powerful He-Man clone.
    I wish Mattel had just kept He-Ro's original bio the same and changed King Grayskull's to fit into the Classics canon.

Really is Skeletor
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Country View Post
    Good God people, let Val and Emiliano write the remainder of the Bios.
    Just wanted to note my agreement with this statement too. I know it won't happen unfortunately, but if it did I think things would be so much better.
    Tyler J Maciolek

Quote Originally Posted by tylerm23 View Post
    Just wanted to note my agreement with this statement too. I know it won't happen unfortunately, but if it did I think things would be so much better.
    I love Val and Emiliano, but I'd like to seem them team up with someone who doesn't know anything about MOTU to co-write the bios. I think combining someone with a fresh take and tempering it with their knowledge and instinct would give us the best mythos for MOTUC.

I really dont pay any attention to all the new Bio's. I take into account all canons of MOTU mytho's and make my own Timeline and Storyline. He-Ro will be Gray and his sword will be the Sword of Eternia. To Defend and Protect all Evil that fills the lands of Eternia.
    Check out the Masters Of The Galaxy Podcast. And also check out Masters of the Galaxy Facebook page

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Heroic Warrior
    My take on this was that She-Ra's power came from He-Ro and He-Man's came from King Grayskull...

Now I really do not know what to infer anymore...

My He-Ro review with blue sword, no SDCC logo, and white mailer box!

I've got a few things to say/mention about him, but I don't want to repeat what other reviews have already stated so I'll mostly let the pictures speak for themselves. He-Ro is an awesome figure!!! Major kudos to Mattel for how many new parts they tooled for an exclusive; to me that's a clear indicator that this line is doing well and that they have faith in it and want it to do well. I got the correct blue sword, and fear not, it does still very much have the cosmic-star-speckles like the black one we saw first, even if they don't show up in pictures very well, you cannot miss them in person. I got the Green Spell Stone Of Protection, as you can see. And while his armor is not vac-metal, it is still VERY much gold. I'm glad about it because I think the vac-metal would have stood out in a fairly negative way next to the rest of the figures. I'm all for the old-school vibrant colors of MOTU, but making something that shiny would have (ironically) tarnished the overall look of the collection. He-Ro just looks awesome and his accessories are extremely well made. The Sword Of He is as solid as any of the others we've gotten in the line so far, and the dimple in the hilt is almost gone, so hopefully that's a running change in the Swords. One thing that may be of interest to some is that his cape is incredibly stiff, almost hard plastic. It's fine with me since I've got no intention of putting him on Battle Cat once we get him, but I thought people might want to know. It is thicker and much more rigid than King Grayskull's. And the staff is excellent and fits into his hand without any trouble, even with the hand guard. I think this is a great example of Mattel finding the right balance in how to make these amazing figures even more impressive. As for the top that hides the Spell Stone, two of the side pieces have a plug and a hole to hold it in place/up and the other two sides slide ever so nicely under them so that the staff is secure when closed.

Alright, onto the pictures! We've got lots! Group shots, Masters Of The Universe shots, He-Ro facing the Castle which apparently also appears on his cape (LOVE that!), He-Ro and Grayskull side by side, He-Ro bequeathing the Sword to Grayskull upon his heroic death, He-Ro and He-Man in their most well known pose together, and of course a armorless He-Ro to show him without the SDCC logo. And finally, the white mailer box! It's clean and classy and should keep every figure nice and mint until we rip them open! One other thing that makes me REALLY happy about it is it's the perfect place to store the cardbacks!

ENJOY!

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/He-Shark/He-Ro/
    Last edited by Mern-Ra; June 14, 2009 at 04:46am.
    My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Awesome pics! Thanks for posting these. "Drools..."

Damn, I don't know how I'm gonna wait till late august to Get my hands on a He-Ro!!

I agree with you on the armour, I think it's perfect. I'm not even bothered about the half armour as I think it looks superb on He-Ro.

Still looking forward to seeing how the Fisto/Jitsu armours will work with this.