Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wizard World Chicago 2009

Asp'r the Contrarian SnakeMenPriest's Avatar

Wizard World Chicago 2009

Hello again, everyone. It's that time of the year again.

Now I know last year's convention suffered the "Dreamcast Effect", and next year the Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo (C2E2) is on the horizon, so this might be the last time the .Org could gather at WWC.
    Dreamcast Effect: Companies thought it would fail so they didn't support it. Thus, it failed from lack of support.
    And apparently, Wizard itself is unsure of WWC's future since they're calling it Chicago Comic-con on their website, very similar to the name it was before Wizard acquired the convention.

It takes place August 7th to August 9th, with the preview night on August 6th.
    Purchase Tickets | Get Directions | Find a Hotel Room

Since I'm a dealer, I'll be there all 3 days and the preview night. An .Org dinner would be nice, but hopefully I'll see other .Orgers there.

--SMP
    In Kansas, it is a crime to eat rattlesnake meat in public.
    You are upsetting the blessing of the Snake God. ALL HAIL RATTLOR!!

Check out 2-bad's Original epic: Origins of The SnakeMen!

Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    I will be there and I just found out that I'm running a podcasting pannel. I'm not so worried that WWC might not be what it used to be. I intend to have a blast, nonetheless.

WW Lost its magic and fun for me the last year I went. It was dull as tombs(people I hung with were great). There were hardly any vendors, a lot of open, dead space and it wasnt my thing. It would have been better if we got a trip together and we all went.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Well, that's why I mentioned the "Dreamcast Effect". Last year Wizard held it quite early. Even though people had about 10 months to prepare for the show, most people, Attendees and vendors alike, just didn't show up; so Wizard learned a lesson the hard way.

Because of the announcement of the Chicago Comic & Entertainment Expo (C2E2) to be held next year, Wizard might pull out all the stops this year in an attempt to keep WWC going.

--SMP

Pulling out all the stops still isnt enough for me to go. I think I went two or three years in a row and in that time I saw a steady decline in what was happening. Maybe there should only be SD. I dunno.

Either way I'm not showing up.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Yeah, the last time I was there it just plain sucked. I loved visiting with everyone but the show was just a snoozefest. And I'm not signing up to go just because they "might" try to do something more.
    Haikus are easy
    But sometimes they don't make sense
    Refrigerator

"If I were a vegetable I'd be a radish because I'm only kind of rad."

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    I'll be there. So will the rest of the TNTS crew. We'll be doing a lot of filming for the website.

I go every year. It has definitely declined each year. Sad, for sure. Doesn't keep me from going and enjoying myself, though!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    I'll be there. So will the rest of the TNTS crew. We'll be doing a lot of filming for the website.

I go every year. It has definitely declined each year. Sad, for sure. Doesn't keep me from going and enjoying myself, though!
    That's sort of how I feel. I know that it's slowed down a bit. But, I love going to cons and WWC is still a pretty big one.

I hope it closes. It's been awful for more than a few years. The only plus side to it was it was so close to my house. But I'm really looking forward to the new con in hopes that Mattel decides to come back to Chicago.

Heroic Warrior BrandnChicagoHorde's Avatar
    Frankly, while I agree whole heartedly that the quality of the shows has declined each year tremendously, I still manage to have a BLAST! You guys should put more in to your visits and then maybe you'll get a higher return. I can't imagine not going... and I can barely fathom how much fun C2E2 or whatever they're calling it is gonna be.
    The littlest member of the Chicago Horde with the Dirtiest Mouth!

Look at What I'm Selling! Please Feel Free to PM Offers:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=181471

Trader Reviews:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=175510

Heroic Warrior

Wwc 09'

I was kinda of bummed mattel wasn't their last year. Me and my kids still had a great time though. If any of you guys decide to get together lmk I wouldnt mind meeting some other .orgers

Quote Originally Posted by BrandnChicagoHorde View Post
    Frankly, while I agree whole heartedly that the quality of the shows has declined each year tremendously, I still manage to have a BLAST! You guys should put more in to your visits and then maybe you'll get a higher return. I can't imagine not going... and I can barely fathom how much fun C2E2 or whatever they're calling it is gonna be.
    Haha, are you serious? How could you say without going to a show that hasn't happened yet, how good it's going to be?

I'm curious as to what people should be putting into their visits to WWC to make them a blast?

Bang your head!!!
    Well... I finally got a job, so I will be going once again this year. I love Chicago and friends ...
    My art blog:
    http://jeremypeerboom.blogspot.com/

The Power and Honor Foundation:
    http://www.powerandhonor.org/

Quote Originally Posted by BrandnChicagoHorde View Post
    What am I supposed to do when the venders arent there and I'm sitting on an empty con floor surrounded by .org memebers? Nothing to see. Nothing to do. Hell, we could have gone out and checked out the sights in Chicago instead of going to the con. People are great. Con not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by MossMan710179 View Post
    Well... I finally got a job, so I will be going once again this year. I love Chicago and friends ...
    Im glad you got a job.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Heroic Warrior

Wizard World Chicago

Hi I'm just curious who's going to Wizard World Chicago this year? Would anyone like to meet and do dinner or something? I'll be there on the Saturday

I'm there for the whole shebang.
    I'd be up for meeting up for drinks over at the Hyatt, or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia
    What am I supposed to do when the venders arent there and I'm sitting on an empty con floor surrounded by .org memebers? Nothing to see. Nothing to do. Hell, we could have gone out and checked out the sights in Chicago instead of going to the con. People are great. Con not so much.
    No one knows if that's going to happen this year, and maybe it won't. But if everyone thinks that way, that's what will happen.

--SMP

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeMenPriest View Post
    No one knows if that's going to happen this year, and maybe it won't. But if everyone thinks that way, that's what will happen.
    Dollars to donuts it will. But hey I could be wrong. If I am then everyone can tell me how WW is making a comeback and maybe next year I'll go.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

i'll go to the new chicago con next year but i wont be going to the wizard chicago con again.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    Dollars to donuts it will. But hey I could be wrong. If I am then everyone can tell me how WW is making a comeback and maybe next year I'll go.
    Its under completely new management and the talent roster is bigger than its been in 5 years.

We are going because my brother is working alongside with the head of security for the 2nd year in a row, the stars of Battlestar Galactica (Edward James Olmos and Michael Hogan), Emma Caufield from Buffy, a crapload of wrestlers like Roddy Piper, Demolition are now set to be there. And a few more will be added every week till August.

Last year despite what some members here claimed was one of the biggest attended in quite some time (ticket wise), on Saturday the line to get in wrapped around the block 1 1/2 times. They removed the wrestling ring and opened up the floor to more artists and vendors, moving the games to specific rooms. The lines are now managed properly as well after 4 years of utter chaos.

People can knock it all they want from past bad experiences, but it is on the upturn as far as people to see and management. Last year was the 1st phase of the completely new company who is running it and this year is the 2nd phase, all tickets are now online via pdf and the talent was starting to get contracted in Feb as opposed to 30 days before like it had always been.

But still anyone going to it should be in it for the comic books, its a damned comic book convention. I refuse to go to SDCC because of the madness due to the massive mix of toys, celebs, and comics. I was one of the most ecstatic people that toys were removed because all that did the last 5 years was **** people off and cause people anguish. If I want to go somewhere and hang with orgers I would rather do a vacation or a meet and greet, I go to a comic convention to *gasp* collect and discuss COMICS.

Mattel is now rotating the cons they go to, the Horseman went to Wizard World Philly, Faker was at NYCC, and He-Ro is at SDCC but next year they will not be at NYCC so who knows.

Wizard itself is unsure of WWC's future since they're calling it Chicago Comic-con on their website, very similar to the name it was before Wizard acquired the convention.
    It has nothing to do with being unsure, it has to do with the legalities of who owns and manages the convention. It was never really owned by Wizard, and the new management company figured it needed to be revamped so its now the Chicago Comic-Con and Video Game Expo since it has partnerships with EA and Intel as well to demo new tech for the kids. There are new talent agents, a brand new online ticketing company, and if anyone ever visits the actual forum they try their best to get what the fans want (basically you ask and they try and contact to negotiate them to appear).
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

One big problem with WWC is the fact that it isn't in Chicago. So, there's really not much to do in the surrounding area.
    C2E2 will basically be downtown. So, when you go there, you can do exciting things like hang out with me at my neighborhood bar, and see the Sears Tower and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by TrimmTrabb View Post
    One big problem with WWC is the fact that it isn't in Chicago. So, there's really not much to do in the surrounding area.
    C2E2 will basically be downtown. So, when you go there, you can do exciting things like hang out with me at my neighborhood bar, and see the Sears Tower and the like.
    Yeah but the downside is it will cost a great deal more, its not hard to get to downtown from Rosemont. Just nobody attending ever seems to

In 2007 some of the orgers that went (Shadow, HeftySmurf, me) all went downtown and it was painless and pretty cheap.

But I agree, part of the problem is WWC is outside the main city so if you are not enthralled by what the con has to offer there is a lot more work involved to make the trip worthwhile.

Anyway in regards to this year the highlight for me will be for me and my wife to meet Edward James Olmos, for me to see Demolition together after almost 15 years, and me to get my Ghostbusters video game signed by Ernie Hudson (there are rumors Bill Murray may show since he lives in Chicago)
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

I remember when Shadow, Rainbow, Me, and Gnewton ditched the con and wanted to find something to eat. There was nothing. We ended up paying overpriced food at the hotel restaurant. So yeah location is an issue, but where else could it be?

All I can say is that my past experiences were less than stellar. And the last one was painful. Thats great that things are changing but unless I become some comic book creator I doubt I'll go again.

Hmm, I wonder if all the wrestlers will be in a room, selling old vhs tapes and old dolls of themselves like the movie. That was so sad.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    I remember when Shadow, Rainbow, Me, and Gnewton ditched the con and wanted to find something to eat. There was nothing. We ended up paying overpriced food at the hotel restaurant. So yeah location is an issue, but where else could it be?
    Yeah you should have went down the street and taken the train into Chicago for $3 That hotel was crap too (they were so bad that Wizard Travel removed them from booking in 2007 and refuses to deal with them at all)

We moved over to the Embassey Suites the next year (2007) and never looked bad since we got free breakfast every morning, a hot tub, free internet and free parking for 20% cheaper.

Hmm, I wonder if all the wrestlers will be in a room, selling old vhs tapes and old dolls of themselves like the movie. That was so sad.
    They are all in the re-arranged signing area, it was actually pretty nice last year because they were so close to each other they would tell stories and the other wrestlers would chime in. Seeing Honkey Tonk Man and the Iron Shiek complain about other old time wrestlers was funny. But wrestlers are sad in general since there is no retirement package and basically they are selling to feed themselves or to feed any addictions they have.

Shameless self-promotion:
    Saturday
    1-2 p.m.
    Podcasting 101 w/Nerd City
    Bob Kane Room: D
    Since their launch last year, Nerd City made an almost instantaneous impact in the world of Nerd. Their weekly podcast and website have been covered in both local and national press, including Time Out Chicago and ToyFare magazines. Their unique approach and sense of humor have branded them unique in a crowded field, and their love of booze and trouble have helped redefine the word "Nerd". Listen as the crew talk about their experiences and discuss the ins and outs of podcasting, including equipment, sponsorship, publicity and the importance of wiener jokes. Plus, there will be prizes. Check it.