Thread: The (inconsistent) Power of the Sorceress

The (inconsistent) Power of the Sorceress

I'm sure this has been discussed in the past, but since I haven't seen anything recent on this, I thought I'd bring up this topic.

Has anyone ever noticed the power of the Sorceress throughout the series of He-Man seems somewhat inconsistent?

For example, there are several episodes where Castle Grayskull has been overtaken/attacked, and the Sorceress seems to weak too take on the attacks of Skeletor, or other evil villans. In most cases, we see her contacting He-Man through telepathy to tell him to get to the castle.

By season 2, there's the episode called "The Secret of Grayskull," where Skeletor uses a truth spell on Orko in order to get into Castle Grayskull. With Orko being trapped by Skeletor, he's used as a pawn to keep the Sorceress from using any magic to force the invaders from the castle. Strangely enough, in this one episode, while He-Man is trying to save Orko, the Sorceress basically tells him to take his time coming back to the castle since she has more than enough power to deal with Skeletor. I believe she says something to the extent of her power being the strongest while in Grayskull (which we already knew), and that it was no match for Skeletor and his guys. Anyway, in this episode, she uses the castle's power and rids it of Skeletor and co.

So.....I guess it's the analytical adult in me, but isn't it odd that any other time the castle was under a normal invasion (i.e. from Skeletor...not special villans like Sh'gora), the Sorceress could barely deal with Skeletor, but then she's suddenly more than powerful enough to take him on without any help from He-Man???

Also, as a side note, I also found it interesting that in the episode "The Origin of the Sorceress," she calls upon the crystal from within the castle in order to keep her form and powers when outside. LOL, couldn't she have used it any other time if she was really desperate to get outside Grayskull and use her power? Guess it was easier to call He-Man for help all the time.

Obviously it's a kid's show, but it's funny how as an adult, and re-watching episodes, you realize some of the inconsistencies with certain characters, especially the Sorceress, who is one of the most powerful, but oftentimes shows more weakness.

Greater than Excalibur Sword of Omens's Avatar
    Maybe the sorceress was able to develop her powers over time, so initially she could handle small things but not skeletor? Then later she learns to tap into grayskull/use more power and therefore able to handle skeletor?
    Sic vis pacem para bellum. If you want peace, prepare for war

Quote Originally Posted by Sword of Omens View Post
    Maybe the sorceress was able to develop her powers over time, so initially she could handle small things but not skeletor? Then later she learns to tap into grayskull/use more power and therefore able to handle skeletor?
    Good point. I guess I figure by the time He-Man takes place, she has been in her position for a long time, and knows how to use the powers of the castle very well.

The only thing I would add though, is that her powers tend to be strong, but weak in the sense that she's seemingly only able to use them for short periods of time....i.e. when Skeletor was trying to force open the drawbridge and she was using her power from the inside to keep it from opening. She quickly grew weak, and exhaused all of her power.

I feel like Sorceress was really equal to anyone the Powers of Greyskull have produced. I also figure that she was often used at the discrepancy of the various writers in the cartoon and various media. Being that the point of the show was to sell He-Man and the Sorceress was often a plot point.

Scootie, I completely agree with your idea about the Sorceress's power being inconsistent. However, we have to realize that the show was centered on He-Man. If she were able to defend Grayskull completely on her own, it would make He-Man seem less important or even unnecessary.

I definitely think the writers could have handled the character better, but I love battles like the one we see in "Reign of the Monster." Even though the Sorceress grows weak, she still stands head and shoulders above He-Man's other allies in battle and even rescues him from Molkrom.

You also have to admit that the Sorceress was the only person powerful enough to reverse the magic of the Shaping Staff. The good guys were done for until she turned the tide in their favor.

It also helps to realize that Skeletor usually didn't attack the Sorceress directly without help. In "Mystery of Man-E-Faces" it's Skeletor and his spaceship vs the Sorceress. In "The Dragon Pearl" it's Skeletor, Evil-Lyn and a magic artifact vs the Sorceress, etc.

I also want to point out that other characters faced numerous inconsistencies in their power, but somehow the Sorceress is more remembered for hers. For example, Teela was often noted as a great warrior, but she was also captured quite often. Skeletor was Eternia's greatest threat, but he was also obsessed with the conquering the circus. He-Man could push Eternia's moon out of orbit, but he couldn't free himself from the chains on Beast Island in SOTS.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

The Sorceress is definitely one of my favorite characters, and I wish her powers and story were detailed a bit more in the Filmation productions....especially more focus on the layout and history of Grayskull. That's a different topic, though.

Blue, you have a great point that the show is centered around He-Man, so if the Sorceress was so powerful, she wouldn't need his help.

And yes, every other character seems to have SOME type of inconsistency with power. I know there are some episodes where I would think, "wait, how can he/she not do that, but did something similar in the other episode?" A great one was from the other day when I was thinking how Evil Lyn seems always to warp her way out of trouble, and now she suddenly can't. Funny stuff like that.

Like I said before, it's just interesting watching the show as an adult because those are some of the things I think about (for fun, of course). I'm sure there weren't/aren't very many kids that would think twice about those things, but it's fun to discuss.

It's definitely fun to think about. When I was a kid, I couldn't wait for He-Man to go to Grayskull because it meant the Sorceress would be in the ep. I too was angry when she grew weak. It irritated me as a kid, and sometimes still does. I think the Sorceress could have been handled much better, but I still like her anyway.

I've often pointed this out as well. While the Sorceress asks He-Man for aid, he also seeks her out in his moments of desperation. In both "The Taking of Grayskull" and "Keeper of the Ancient Ruins," He-Man calls out to the Sorceress for help, the way she often does for him.

He clearly knows that she'll be there for him at times when no other person can help. It's pretty much a mirror image of how she views him.
    Last edited by Blue; June 15, 2009 at 10:13pm.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

I wish Masters had a comic. I have a friend who is a Transformers nut and the comics IDW do are pretty cool. Other then the main line, the have a "Spotlight" series which picks one character and has a arc about them. One could really resolve some character points with a series like that, you could do a massive series on just the Sorceress.

Quote Originally Posted by Extendar View Post
    you could do a massive series on just the Sorceress.
    I like the way you think, Extender!
    RIP Andy Conrad.

me too. Like I said before, she's definitely one of the most interesting and mysterious characters on the show.

Maybe she was powerful in certain areas and not in others.

oh man..

don't even get me started on this again..

she has ticked me off so many times and then there's those times where its like poof, she takes care of invaders like nothing

but i love the sorceress either way
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

Wow, until I saw this thread, I thought KI may be the only person that was always really annoyed by this. They always spoke of how powerful she was, but she was always almost passing out & saying she's too weak.

At least in the 200x series she showed more power, but she still had those "weak" moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo-Ro View Post
    Wow, until I saw this thread, I thought KI may be the only person that was always really annoyed by this. They always spoke of how powerful she was, but she was always almost passing out & saying she's too weak.

At least in the 200x series she showed more power, but she still had those "weak" moments.

That was another way I thought the 200X series faltered. They could have done away with the weak moments altogether, but instead they chose to adopt them. Why??

It made little sense how the Sorceress could defeat Prahvus and his minions while away from Grayskull with only a part of her power using tons of spells, yet when she fought the Shadow Beasts or even King Hiss, her power was used up in one or two spells.

Carlo, I prefer to think of those "poof" times where she laid the smackdown on invaders.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    oh man..

don't even get me started on this again..

she has ticked me off so many times and then there's those times where its like poof, she takes care of invaders like nothing

but i love the sorceress either way

Love her character too, and yeah, I was laughing at how she so effortlessly took care of Skeletor in The Secret of Grayskull. She's like, "when I'm here within Grayskull, Skeletor is no match for my power" LOL What about all of the other times he swung by to visit? And on top of that, she tells He-Man through telepathy something like "oh, just take your time. We're cool. I can deal with this on my own. I don't need your help."

He-Man was probably when he heard her say she didn't need his assistance.

I say that all in good fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo-Ro View Post

I guess the weak moments are to show that every powerful character has their "flaw."

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    That was another way I thought the 200X series faltered. They could have done away with the weak moments altogether, but instead they chose to adopt them. Why??

It made little sense how the Sorceress could defeat Prahvus and his minions while away from Grayskull with only a part of her power using tons of spells, yet when she fought the Shadow Beasts or even King Hiss, her power was used up in one or two spells.

Carlo, I prefer to think of those "poof" times where she laid the smackdown on invaders.

I guess when you're a kid you don't notice the inconsistency.

It would be fun to watch a full-on Sorceress vs. Evil-Lyn smackdown...both at their full power.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post

I think the Mike Young Productions series explains the inconsistencies better, e.g. weakened from blood loss, weakened from poisoing, etc.

Heroic Warrior
    Scootie12, you rock! This is something that has frustrated me for so many years!