Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44

Thread: An observation about toy collectors.

  1. #1
    Heroic Warrior Skeletortilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ashtabula, OH
    Posts
    1,533

    An observation about toy collectors.

    I love my toys as much as anyone on here, but I also love to build and paint models...a hobby which over 20 years has taught me a great deal about patience and the reward of waiting for something good.

    Besides He-man.org, I also frequent the boards of Marvelousnews.com, Hisstank.com, and DC Direct, as well as The Clubhouse, an online modelers forum. I have noticed a definite pattern of conduct by posters in all but one of these forums that has led me to the conclusion many toy collectors are severely immature and selfish.

    First off, let me be perfectly clear...there are definitely some legitimate complaints here, and I am NOT referring to them. I'm referring to the complaining and negative threads on all of these boards which exhibit the same type of behavior. Petition to change this, boycott Matty, DC Direct, Hasbro, etc. They didn't make my favorite, I'm through collecting, my paint's not perfect, blah, blah, blah.

    The Clubhouse modeling forum, on the other hand, is remarkably positive. Aside from the occasional rant about recasters, there are virtually no negative posts. It appears model builders are more "constructive" pardon the pun, in their attitudes towards their hobby, while many, but not all, toy collectors seem obsessed with instant gratification, getting it their way, and getting it yesterday. It seems no company can do right by them. Immediately following the SDCC reveals, instead of marveling at all the fantastic product we were shown, immediately we got petitions to change this or that, why this character and not that one, why did they use that color, and on and on. Some of it ridiculously nitpicky.

    I don't think this type of attitude helps anyone at any of the aforementioned companies make positive changes. There are going to be aspects of any toyline that will not appeal to me, but I realize that what I'm buying is a product which hopes to satisfy everyone, not just myself. If I don't get MY favorite character...so what? What if my favorite is nobody else's favorite? Should I threaten to boycott the company because they won't appease little old me? Hardly, but that is exactly the type of complaint I see regularly on toy boards, not just this one.

    There are definitely some legitimate complaints on here...I'm not referring to those. But to the rest...to those who think they are the center of the universe, and that Mattel should okay every character, release date, sculpt, accessory, and paint job with them...get over yourself, and stop acting so childish. Life is full of disappointment already, we don't need it spilling onto our hobby, which is supposed to bring us ENJOYMENT.

  2. #2
    Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,475
    I understand what you're saying. The way I see it is that those people who are being negative and selfish, or whatever, have an opinion that they should be allowed to express. Their point is just as valid as yours and mine when we talk about how cool Mer-Man's new head is, or whatever.
    At the end of the day, I think it's great that people can voice their frustrations here. And, at the same time, all of the negativity in the world couldn't lessen my enjoyment of collecting MOTUC.

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior byinfernoslight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    1,068
    What exactly would model builders have to complain about? Can't they use, for example, whatever colour paint they like? Whereas with toys you're kind of stuck with what you're given.

    Most of the time on the boards people are offering constructive criticism. They don't (usually) just come out with a general 'mattel sux!' but list problems and possible ways they could be avoided. Since Mattel do come on the boards, writing things here can lead to change. E.g. Mattel now know about people wanting bonus figures included in the subscription and have said its a possibility for 2011.

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior mistaloko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    965
    These are discussing forums if someone thinks that a figure could have another color, what comes to mind imediately is the Green Godess discussion, people are only voicing their opinion, I havent seen a single comment on that thread stating that: "if Mattel dont change Green Goddess shade of green I wont buy it".

    As for the boycott, the majority if not everyone disagree on that, no one wishes to boycott a thing we all love so much, knowing that the result might be the line being cancelled.

    People who are negative in your point of view have the same right as you to voice their opinion. You have to respect that, you can disagree. but you have to respect.
    The same way you came here and expressed your feelings, and thats great! Its your point of view and it has to be respected.

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Somewhere between Iowa and Canada
    Posts
    79
    Thank you Skeletortilla, THANK YOU

  6. #6
    Assimilate, or else!! krosfyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Under an iron fist
    Posts
    17,977
    I agree with Skeletortilla in terms of the spirit of what he's saying. yeah people are allowed to post their opinions and also allowed to give up the line if they choose, but there is a bit of an unrealistic expectation amongst collectors in general (I think hobbyists, ie photographers, model builders, craft folk, are a little different because they are more in control of their pursuit) I've been an active membber of this board for nearly 10 years and through those ten years I've seen the knee jerk "I'm done with Mattel", "They can keep this line" reactions that came out of Zodak being black, or Grizzlor having 'real' instead of sculpted fur, or because Grizzlor's staction was too short, Fisto didn't get the sword the horsemen designed, he-man is too anime, too skinny, Teela is too tall, the cartoon isn't filmation enough I'm done with the line, the cartoon is too filmation, adam sucks I'm done with the line, Adam looks like Luke Sky walker, why is teela so *****y, why are they releasing Clamp Champ over Scare Glow? NECA sucks, I'm moving on to transformers etc.

    Trust me, it's complaints like THAT that bring down those who enjoy the bulk of collecting MOTU, because most of us HAVE been let down by mattel and we do want to voice concerns, but we are also happy with the stuff we have gotten, and when people get overly negative and say that they are giving up the line, some of us worry that if these naysayers get enough support we are out of our favourite line. as Skeletorilla (love the name btw) said legitimate concerns and complaints ARE warranted, even discussing a colour or accessory preference but when people start doomsaying things because they didn't get THEIR way it does ring of selfishness and immaturity.

    See I'm not a fan of Thundercats AT ALL, but for the fans of it I hope they get good stuff they've been waiting for, I'm not going to moan and complain about it, I don't care much for Wun-Dar, but he's not a reason to give up the line. if you don't want him or feel it could have been a better figure to get, I understand that complaint, if you are genuinely tired of dealing with the frustrations of how matty is run and your hobby has become a chore to you where getting the figure doesn't erase the torture of the RSOD, and you refuse to go the ebay or MOTUC marketplace route, it's an understandable reason to walk away, but the size of Teela's butt or the gloves on Zodak (examples for examples sake no one I recall threatened to quit if these weren't changed) make you so enraged that you want to give up the line, you're better off spending your $$ on some counseling because you're not ready to be involved in something where you DON'T have control.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

    I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

    Fear is faith in failure

  7. #7
    grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    11,497
    Not to be contrary, but you're talking about two things that couldn't be more different.

    Do modellers have to try to get a model available at one convention in one city to keep their collection complete?

    Have to beat the local resellers to the pegs to get a shortpacked kit?

    Have to deal with miscolored plastic, reversed or duplicated body parts or exploding posteriors?

    Have to be on a website at exactly noon and hope you can beat the Red Screen of Doom before the model you want runs out?

    Go on e-bay right now. If I want to get the Moebius Model re-releases of Aurora's Monster Scenes Giant Insect, I can go on and see a lot of them at the same price I would pay walking into a hobby shop. If I want He-Ro, on the other hand, I can pay twice or more the original price or face the Red Screen of Doom on Monday and hope.

    Point is, model folks don't face the same problems and, truthfully, don't have as much to complain about. It has nothing to do with maturity (and you will find immaturity in any group on the net, believe me). It has to do with very disimilar circumstances.

    Put simply, Mattel doesn't make models, so there's a huge advantage model makers have over toy collectors right there.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

  8. #8
    Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    10,415
    I have to agree with The Grumpy Old Dragon on this one.

    This comparison is completely assinine.

    Modelers have much more direct control over their own hobby. If the paint application on a model turns out sloppy, it's their own fault and they just have to work on their painting ability and techniques.

    If a MOTUC fan orders a Hordak and it shows up with very sloppy paint apps, there really isn't much that they can do.

    The difference here.. the BIG difference here... is direct control. Modelers have much more of that in their hobby than we do with ours.

    I do admit that SOME of the complaining does get a little ridiculous when it's over minor details. But overall, many of the complaints, particularly those over the past several days since comic-con began, were VERY legit. The frustration over that reseller guy being sold 20+ art books and a few cases of He-Ros on preview night when dealers weren't even supposed to be able to buy and when the limits weresupposed to be 6 He-Ros and 2 books for example. And then Mattel annoucning a ton of bonus figures, which are mostly awesome, but cause frustration as now everyone who wants them still has to be on the computer at the 'zero hour', which defeats the purpose of signing up for the subscription.


    And here's what's really funny about comments like yours, Skeletortilla (note, this isn't limited to just you... other people have made posts and threads similar to yours in the past about the complaining.. though not usually comparing it to modeling); people in general tend to make these kinds of threads only when there is a big blow up like what has happened over the past week or so.

    It is when there is a ton of complaining going on overall that people like yourself even bother to make a thread like this, and you claim that you are in favor of the 'legit' complaints and are more upset over the nitpicking over minor issues.... but the problem is that the nitpicking is really only a small piece of the overall 'pie' at times like this. Most of the complaints have been directed at Mattel's hypocracy.. how fans at the con couldn't get ahold of the exclusives while dealers were walking away with them in droves, and how we are asking for a way to easily guarantee that we get the figures, only for there to be more figures that are now hard to get.

    So, when you get down to it, you SAY that you aren't referring to the legit complaints, but if those complaints didn't exist (and only the handful of nitpicky ones were left hanging around on their own), I get the feeling that this thread wouldn't exist right now either.

    So, in essence, you actually are, in a round-about way, referring to the legit complaints as being the issue, even though you claim otherwise.
    ____________________________________________

    Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

  9. #9
    Heroic Warrior Skeletortilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ashtabula, OH
    Posts
    1,533
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I have to agree with The Grumpy Old Dragon on this one.

    This comparison is completely assinine.

    Modelers have much more direct control over their own hobby. If the paint application on a model turns out sloppy, it's their own fault and they just have to work on their painting ability and techniques.

    If a MOTUC fan orders a Hordak and it shows up with very sloppy paint apps, there really isn't much that they can do.

    The difference here.. the BIG difference here... is direct control. Modelers have much more of that in their hobby than we do with ours.

    I do admit that SOME of the complaining does get a little ridiculous when it's over minor details. But overall, many of the complaints, particularly those over the past several days since comic-con began, were VERY legit. The frustration over that reseller guy being sold 20+ art books and a few cases of He-Ros on preview night when dealers weren't even supposed to be able to buy and when the limits weresupposed to be 6 He-Ros and 2 books for example. And then Mattel annoucning a ton of bonus figures, which are mostly awesome, but cause frustration as now everyone who wants them still has to be on the computer at the 'zero hour', which defeats the purpose of signing up for the subscription.


    And here's what's really funny about comments like yours, Skeletortilla (note, this isn't limited to just you... other people have made posts and threads similar to yours in the past about the complaining.. though not usually comparing it to modeling); people in general tend to make these kinds of threads only when there is a big blow up like what has happened over the past week or so.

    It is when there is a ton of complaining going on overall that people like yourself even bother to make a thread like this, and you claim that you are in favor of the 'legit' complaints and are more upset over the nitpicking over minor issues.... but the problem is that the nitpicking is really only a small piece of the overall 'pie' at times like this. Most of the complaints have been directed at Mattel's hypocracy.. how fans at the con couldn't get ahold of the exclusives while dealers were walking away with them in droves, and how we are asking for a way to easily guarantee that we get the figures, only for there to be more figures that are now hard to get.

    So, when you get down to it, you SAY that you aren't referring to the legit complaints, but if those complaints didn't exist (and only the handful of nitpicky ones were left hanging around on their own), I get the feeling that this thread wouldn't exist right now either.

    So, in essence, you actually are, in a round-about way, referring to the legit complaints as being the issue, even though you claim otherwise.
    I don't think it's assinine at all. The reason a paint job on a model can be perfect, is because the modeler can spend countless hours painting a single model. A mass produced $20 toy can NEVER have that level of quality, and expecting it to is what's assinine, not to mention completely unrealistic. The only company I've seen pull off close to perfection is Hot Toys, and their figures are all in the $150 range. None of the paint jobs on my MOTUC figures are perfect. There's a little slop here and there. I've gotten a few loose joints, and even a backwards abdomen on one of my Zodacs. Any time you have a mass produced item, mistakes like this will occur. What is Mattel supposed to do? Pay somebody to stand at the end of the assembly line and spend five minutes going over each figure with a magnifying glass? At that rate, they'll find maybe one perfect figure out of every 50 or so, and they can just toss the rest of them in the trash. Of course, this kind of strict quality control will raise the cost of each figure to about $435, since most will be scrapped. Get real...

  10. #10
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    I don't think it's assinine at all. The reason a paint job on a model can be perfect, is because the modeler can spend countless hours painting a single model. A mass produced $20 toy can NEVER have that level of quality, and expecting it to is what's assinine, not to mention completely unrealistic. The only company I've seen pull off close to perfection is Hot Toys, and their figures are all in the $150 range. None of the paint jobs on my MOTUC figures are perfect. There's a little slop here and there. I've gotten a few loose joints, and even a backwards abdomen on one of my Zodacs. Any time you have a mass produced item, mistakes like this will occur. What is Mattel supposed to do? Pay somebody to stand at the end of the assembly line and spend five minutes going over each figure with a magnifying glass? At that rate, they'll find maybe one perfect figure out of every 50 or so, and they can just toss the rest of them in the trash. Of course, this kind of strict quality control will raise the cost of each figure to about $435, since most will be scrapped. Get real...
    What he's trying to say is this...model fans can control the details themselves, where toy collecters can't. That's why it's all positive on the model forums...they control how the product comes out. Since most fans don't kitbash or custom, we can't. We have to accept whatever Mattel gives us and hope it's good.

    I can't make Skeletor's face more scarier. Mattel has to do it.
    I can't get rid of the read around He-Man's eyes. Mattel has to do it.
    I can't make Teela blonde. Mattel has to do it.

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior Skeletortilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ashtabula, OH
    Posts
    1,533
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post

    I can't make Skeletor's face more scarier. Mattel has to do it.
    I can't get rid of the read around He-Man's eyes. Mattel has to do it.
    I can't make Teela blonde. Mattel has to do it.
    That's my point...WHY does Mattel HAVE to do those things? Because YOU want them to? You don't NEED a blonde Teela...If brown hair bothers you that much, don't buy it, OR...just take the one you're getting and be happy with it. Now if her leg snaps off, that's another matter.

    I think Skeletor's face, He-man's eyes, and Teela's hair are all fine.

    Personally, I would've had Skeletor's hood cover more of his neck, but it's still fine the way it is, and I can GUARANTEE if the hood had been done the way I would've done it, I would have been happier, but somebody else would be complaining about how his neck articulation was being restricted. There is absolutely NO WAY to give every individual EXACTLY what they want, and that goes for me too, but then, I don't expect it. I'm a realist.
    Last edited by Skeletortilla; July 30, 2009 at 11:19am.

  12. #12
    Heroic Warrior byinfernoslight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    1,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    There is absolutely NO WAY to give every individual EXACTLY what they want, and that goes for me too, but then, I don't expect it. I'm a realist.
    Remember how some people wanted less red around He-Man's eyes? The reissue will have less red. How about Skeletor's non-grasping hand? Being changed for the reissue.

  13. #13
    Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    10,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    I don't think it's assinine at all. The reason a paint job on a model can be perfect, is because the modeler can spend countless hours painting a single model. A mass produced $20 toy can NEVER have that level of quality, and expecting it to is what's assinine, not to mention completely unrealistic.
    Which is the reason why a modler is in control, which is the reason why they wouldn't even have any reason to even need to complain in the first place, which makes these 2 very very different things, which makes it VERY ASSININE to compare the lack of complaints of one group (who have almost no reason to complain), with the complaining of another group (who have many reasons to complain), and call the first group "more mature".

    That's like saying that someone who had a pretty easy time growing up (lived in a nice house... parents weren't hurting for money... went to good schools... had college paid for by their parents.. got a good start to adult life) and has a good job and a good, positive outlook on life is "more mature" than someone else who has a very negative attitude after growing up poor, with almost no advantages, had a lot of bad breaks over the years, and had parents who weren't very attentive.

    It's not an issue of maturity. It's an issue of the STARK differences in their upbringing and the crap (or lack there of in one case) that they had to go through.

    The only company I've seen pull off close to perfection is Hot Toys, and their figures are all in the $150 range. None of the paint jobs on my MOTUC figures are perfect. There's a little slop here and there. I've gotten a few loose joints, and even a backwards abdomen on one of my Zodacs. Any time you have a mass produced item, mistakes like this will occur. What is Mattel supposed to do? Pay somebody to stand at the end of the assembly line and spend five minutes going over each figure with a magnifying glass? At that rate, they'll find maybe one perfect figure out of every 50 or so, and they can just toss the rest of them in the trash. Of course, this kind of strict quality control will raise the cost of each figure to about $435, since most will be scrapped. Get real...


    Yes, a modler can spend hours upon hours painting a model and a toy is mass produced. But since the modlers aren't getting stuck with the problems that come with something that is mass produced in that way, they obviously aren't even being faced with the same scenarios and problems that we are, so to say they are more 'mature' and don't complain like we do IS assinine, because they aren't facing the same issues and problems.

    Also, the issue (at least for me.. and I know at least a good portion of people around here) isn't so much the fact that the occasional screw up/production error happens, but its how Mattel handles it.

    If someone gets a figure with a part put on backwards or with 2 left feet or something, Mattel expects them to pay to ship it back, and MAYBE a replacement will be sent, if they have any/can find any. There needs to be a better method at NO additional cost to the customer over what they originally paid to make sure these things happen correctly. Granted, I don't expect Mattel to send out replacements on items with slightly sloppy paint paint aps (i.e. the paint on the belt merging slightly into the furry shorts on a figure or something), but for the bigger screw ups, there should be something in place.

    You aren't comparing to equally comparible things... PERIOD. That is what you don't get. And you are completely exaggerating the minor gripes to make them sound more silly than they actually are, and you are completely glossing over the fact that if the major, legit gripes were not happening now (thus not making the total overall amount of griping going on as huge as it currently is), you likely wouldn't even have bothered posting this.

    The vast MAJORITY of the gripes that have been happening here in the last week, (which factor into the overall amount of griping going on around here that prompted you to start this thread in the first place) are legitimate.

    People (for the most part) aren't complaining about minor paint aps issues. They are complaining about not being able to get exclusives, even after waiting in line for hours just to have a chance to get them. They are complaining about signing up for a subscription service that was put in place so people don't have to worry about being at their computers to place an order right when a figure goes on sale, only for A TON of additional figures to be announced that aren't included in it that require being at the computer.

    We are sick of the run around, the hypocracy, and the catch-22s. Modlers aren't having to deal with this kind of stuff, so how can you say is makes ANY sense to call modlers more 'mature' than us, when they aren't facing the same kind of crap as us? If their hobby were similar to ours (mass produced products with imperfect paint aps, etc), and they were still keeping their cool and not complaining at all, then you'd have room to talk. But right now, this comparison is just extraordinarily ridiculous.

    You seem to be COMPLETELY unable to see the forest through the trees here.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; July 30, 2009 at 11:24am.
    ____________________________________________

    Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

  14. #14
    Awesome Warrior Alexx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The big 'ol mitten
    Posts
    6,249
    Yup! That's how toy collectors are. It's just the way of life for us! I'm like you; I'm a part of many types of toy forums because I LOVE toys in general. Sure, I've got my favorites (and my own complaints) but my calling will always be to TOYS before any one brand. That's why I don't care who or what a character is, most of the time. If it looks cool, has great accessories, and nice articulation (not LOTS, just well done) then I'm on board! The fact of the matter here, is that MotUC figures are the cream of the crop right now. When you've got the Four Horsemen on the job, it's hard to make me unhappy. I don't know what it is, but I think I'm just right up thier alley in terms of how an action figure should be made. They know how all the little stuff works. They know that, if you aren't going to have no knee articulation (like in the 200X line) then the legs should be mid-action and spread apart (if you don't, then you've got the JLU figures with completely straight-and-together legs for the most boring action figure ever).

    I'm also easy to please, so I don't agree with more than half of the collecting community most of the time. It's hard to have a decent conversation when, for instance, Marvel Legend fans spend all thier time complaining about the line possibly dying and being replaced with smaller figures. GET OVER IT. The ML line had a good run (and it isn't even dying, anyway). I eventually left the ML forums because it just wasn't fun anymore. Nobody cared about the toys; just whether or not they were getting what they "deserved."

    Same happened with the G.I. Joe Sigma 6 figures. I found ONE forum where we could all talk about how awesome those toys were. Everyone else was just so focused on how different they were from G.I. Joe that they couldn't find the time to see how cool they were in terms of TOYS. They were just fun toys! It took a major change in G.I. Joe to find out who the real toy fans were. Most of them just want to focus on what the brand "should be" and not what it "could be."

    So that's just how toy fans are. Most of us have this little kid inside us who is looking for that thing that made most of our days happy, back then. Sadly, that "thing" is very, very specific, and a toy company just can't be expected to find that tiny little thing in each collector.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

    Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior DO4M's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    4,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    I don't think it's assinine at all. The reason a paint job on a model can be perfect, is because the modeler can spend countless hours painting a single model. A mass produced $20 toy can NEVER have that level of quality, and expecting it to is what's assinine, not to mention completely unrealistic. The only company I've seen pull off close to perfection is Hot Toys, and their figures are all in the $150 range. None of the paint jobs on my MOTUC figures are perfect. There's a little slop here and there. I've gotten a few loose joints, and even a backwards abdomen on one of my Zodacs. Any time you have a mass produced item, mistakes like this will occur. What is Mattel supposed to do? Pay somebody to stand at the end of the assembly line and spend five minutes going over each figure with a magnifying glass? At that rate, they'll find maybe one perfect figure out of every 50 or so, and they can just toss the rest of them in the trash. Of course, this kind of strict quality control will raise the cost of each figure to about $435, since most will be scrapped. Get real...
    But the thing is that this MOTUC line is supposed to be aimed at collectors (Meaning that it'll have better quality than the average Mass Produced toy on stores for the kids.) We're paying Specialty Store collectors toy prices (I'm not counting the shipping costs.) When some of the product we're getting is just like the mass produced kid toys found on stores. (sloppy paint jobs, poor QC with figures that are broken, etc.) What makes it worse is that we cannot see what toy we're getting. (I feel bad for the collectors who had to jump through hoops in order to get a King Greyskull only to find out that his ankle's broken and that there is no replacement.)
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

  16. #16
    Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    10,415
    Quote Originally Posted by byinfernoslight View Post
    Remember how some people wanted less red around He-Man's eyes? The reissue will have less red. How about Skeletor's non-grasping hand? Being changed for the reissue.
    EXCELLENT point. While some gripes are silly, some have wielded positive results.
    ____________________________________________

    Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

  17. #17
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    19,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    That's my point...WHY does Mattel HAVE to do those things? Because YOU want them to? You don't NEED a blonde Teela...If brown hair bothers you that much, don't buy it, OR...just take the one you're getting and be happy with it. Now if her leg snaps off, that's another matter.

    I think Skeletor's face, He-man's eyes, and Teela's hair are all fine.

    Personally, I would've had Skeletor's hood cover more of his neck, but it's still fine the way it is. There is absolutely NO WAY to give every individual EXACTLY what they want, and that goes for me too, but then, I don't expect it. I'm a realist.
    Is this a case of the satisfieds versus the un-satisfieds?

    If a lot of fans ask for these changes and they are within the ability of Mattel to do, why not ask for them?

    I can see if you mean every individual change for every individual fan out there. It's impossible to make variations for every taste. However what I'm talking about isn't as minor. If fan support for a particular change or changes are pretty much universal across the fandom (or have a hell of alot of supporters), why not act on it, please fans and make some more money?

  18. #18
    Heroic Warrior Poe Ghostal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    537
    ...while many, but not all, toy collectors seem obsessed with instant gratification, getting it their way, and getting it yesterday. It seems no company can do right by them. Immediately following the SDCC reveals, instead of marveling at all the fantastic product we were shown, immediately we got petitions to change this or that, why this character and not that one, why did they use that color, and on and on. Some of it ridiculously nitpicky.
    Amen. (Not that I haven't been guilty of this, particularly the instant gratification part, on occasion.)

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior Beeto Bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Stevens Point, Wisconsin!
    Posts
    1,230
    I've been doing japanese models for 17 plus years and I can say that there is just about as much negativity and attention to detail. I've been into Macross for a long time and people get very picky. Being a modeler though, I repaint apps on a large portion of my figures. While there is a lot of fans demanding stuff here, the biggest complaint I see is not with the figures but, with Mattycollector.com and the process of getting them. This problem of distribution and ease of access is common among many of the major toy companies. Hence why you see alot of complaining.

    Who knows you may be right and this is just my opinion but, I'd really resist stereotyping a group of people as selfish and immature based on your limited experience. I've met a heck of alot of patient, mature people who collect action figures. I would argue that you have to be, or you would go off the deep end with how some of these companies treat their customers.

  20. #20
    Heroic Warrior Skeletortilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ashtabula, OH
    Posts
    1,533
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post

    You seem to be COMPLETELY unable to see the forest through the trees here.

    That's funny, I was thinking the same thing about you.

    Modelers most certainly do have their share of problems, i.e. crushed boxes (very common) missing parts, warped parts, etc. They just seem to handle it better.

    What exactly does Mattel "owe" any of us? Nothing. If I buy the last of a certain figure at Wal-mart, and get home to discover it's broken or something, what do I do? Drive back to the store and return it. Should the company who made it reimburse me for my time and gas to drive back to the store? Should Wal-mart reimburse me? After all, they stocked it on the shelf...maybe they dropped it or something, causing it to break. Or maybe it's just a toy, and it was broken, and it's not the end of the world.

    I swear, some people today act like the entire world has slighted or taken advantage of them, and that they are OWED something. They are NOT.

    Mattel is in the business of making toys for profit, and personally, I think they're making some damn good ones. Buy them or don't. There's your two options right there.

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior Steph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In the mitten.
    Posts
    3,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletortilla View Post
    I don't think it's assinine at all. The reason a paint job on a model can be perfect, is because the modeler can spend countless hours painting a single model. A mass produced $20 toy can NEVER have that level of quality, and expecting it to is what's assinine, not to mention completely unrealistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    Yes, a modler can spend hours upon hours painting a model and a toy is mass produced. But since the modlers aren't getting stuck with the problems that come with something that is mass produced in that way, they obviously aren't even being faced with the same scenarios and problems that we are, so to say they are more 'mature' and don't complain like we do IS assinine, because they aren't facing the same issues and problems.
    I have to agree more with Skeletortilla on this topic. I feel that some toys collectors are unrealistic when it comes to the level of quality of toys. Here on the boards, we are often privy to seeing the original sculpts painted by the 4H. When the final figure is release, there always a vocal group complaining that it doesn't look as good as the prototype. Well DUH! There are always going to be details lost in translation from the prototype to the mass produce version.

    I'm not saying people should not request paint fixes (like the eyes) and proper assembly, but some of the request for "fixes" are more personal taste than a real problem with the produce. A blond Teela would be nice, but are there truly enough fans of such a change that is "must" be fixed?

  22. #22
    Heroic Warrior VictoryLiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    377
    I read quite a few toy collecting boards too. Generally, these "collectors are spoiled/ungrateful/immature" threads only serve to anger people. From what the OP says about his toy forum reading, he should have known this before he posted. I'm gonna call "troll" here and hope this thread gets locked before blood pressures rise too high.

  23. #23
    Wasteland Wanderer Fneh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    UK, Preston
    Posts
    1,564

    My thought's exactly

    well said Skeletortilla.
    Fneh's MOTUC wishlist:
    Spikor, MYP Marzo, Snake Armour He-Man, Stinkor
    Fneh's MOTUC needed list:
    King Grayskull, Beastman, Stratos head

  24. #24
    Heroic Warrior Motorthing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    917
    Oh please, Apples and oranges - and even then you just haven't been around some of the real anal-attention-to-scale sites that exist. That 1:48 Eurofighter engine nozzel just a couple of mil out ? - cause to burn down the Revell factory for some.

    Passion often gets confused for negativity by those without it, And if you don't care enough to whine then you just don't care enough, do you?

    I would rather those that want to vent, or make something better get a chance to be heard or achieve the change than not.

  25. #25
    Heroic Warrior byinfernoslight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    1,068
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoryLiger View Post
    I read quite a few toy collecting boards too. Generally, these "collectors are spoiled/ungrateful/immature" threads only serve to anger people. From what the OP says about his toy forum reading, he should have known this before he posted. I'm gonna call "troll" here and hope this thread gets locked before blood pressures rise too high.
    Yeah, coming onto a toy forum and calling collectors immature is obviously a really stupid thing to do and can only lead to trouble.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •