Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mill Creek Acquires Rights to MYP Show

Can't say I'm excited about the covers... hmmmm

high-res pictures from Amazon:

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post

An interesting collection though and something that I'd imagine Mattel must have OK'd.

MOTU seems to be becoming hot property again...
    that's my hope too!!!!!
    "The most powerful man in the universe..."
    "Where hope seems lost..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    Whats next ?

I would be surprised if these were anything more than just the vanilla series (no extras or pack-ins) & pale in comparison to BCI's versions.
    The BCI D&D set was like the best DVD sets ever made...
    I have never known Mill Creek to put any incentives with their releases, & it is likely that these will just be a way to keep 2 of BCI's better selling the series on the market for those who missed out on the cheap...
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 9.30.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!
    NICE!

I already got 4 or so complete sets of the series because of the "special" items with it. What's one more?
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

I wonder if they'll get a R4 release now?

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    Wow, Madman hasn't released the MYP series yet?

Heroic Warrior
    My guess is that the "origins" DVD will be the first disk of the complete series set with the first 10 episodes. That would be like what they're doing with this show:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Dun...-Box-Art/12144

still don't understand if mill creek will ever acquire also classic MOTU, POP and maybe NA in the near future ..........what do you guys think?????
    "The most powerful man in the universe..."
    "Where hope seems lost..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    Whats next ?

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

This is great news for fans who never bought the original BCI and don't want to pay Ebay prices, but it looks like there's nothing new. To be honest, I don't think there's anything BCI could have done to make their releases any better. They were not only great for a 1980's cartoon franchise, they were great for a "mainstream" release as well. If I could change one thing, it's that I hate carboard packaging; it's too delicate and easy to damage.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

It kind of annoys me how the Best Buy "exclusive" art keeps getting reused again and again.

Heroic Warrior
    Bring on Blu-Ray

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    There was also an issue where the authoring of BCI's Volume 1 wasn't as good as 2 or 3 (they switched authorers after Vol 1 because of this), and when watching on a Hi-Def TV, there is a BIG problem with huge jagged lines along anything colored red, like orko or the lava around Snake Mountain. Hopefully this will be corrected with these new sets.
    The audio on Vol 1 is also horrendous compared to 2 and 3. No separation or surround to speak of. I will gladly get these if the first 13 episodes have been remastered.

And blu would be great, but has this company released any blu-ray discs yet?

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    $24.98 is a reasonable price for the ENTIRE SERIES. I seriously wish it had been done in the first place, instead of spreading 39 episodes across four different sets, which each alone were a similar price to the one complete series set Mill Creek is offering. It seriously could have been done in the first place. Look at any single volume of the classic MOTU that BCI released. Each single set held 30 plus episodes including extras.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    $24.98 is a reasonable price for the ENTIRE SERIES. I seriously wish it had been done in the first place, instead of spreading 39 episodes across four different sets, which each alone were a similar price to the one complete series set Mill Creek is offering. It seriously could have been done in the first place. Look at any single volume of the classic MOTU that BCI released. Each single set held 30 plus episodes including extras.
    If that set has the Spine Art of Grayskull and Snake Mountain on, I may have to get it even though it would be the same episodes again, as I could finally complete my picture!
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

I guess you haven't read BCIguy reply in the other thread:
    Sure. Then we could've lost a fortune on the deal. Mill Creek isn't playing by the same rules. They sublicense product from someone that already put out the expense of acquiring and doing all the production. Any costs they accrue by reauthoring is made up by lower production costs as they use fewer discs.
    SO do you seriusly think there is no different in producing all the features, the art and authoring the discs at BCI, and Mill Creek just grab all this already done work and reprint it?

Also, why anyone expected new covers?
    They had the art, why pay again for new art?
    Another quote from BCIguy:
    Because that isn't what Mill Creek does. They are a successful company because they are able to get properties inexpensively and sell a LOT of content at a budget price - with a good part of that being Wal-Mart. They aren't trying to sell MYP to the He-Man fans, they're selling it as an inexpensive "blind buy" to a consumer that never bought (or likely heard of) the show.

MOTU 2002 the complete series for $24.98???? BCI Eclipse SHOULD have done it that way upon initial release instead of the nonsense of spreading the series into 3 sets that each cost $24.98 or more. Getting the whole series for that price is an interesting idea. I might be able to pick it up this time around.
    Then you would be buying inferior product. The BCI releases were QUALITY!

They are compressing (and therefore losing on picture quality) the episodes on only 4 discs. Re-authoring etc by them. AND you won't get the extra documentaries that the fans love to watch! Maybe extras is not your thing. That's completely understandable.

Also, don't expect art-cards...

But if anyone thinks, these sets are a "bargain", think again!
    The quality of the episodes won't be the same as the BCI discs..
    Oh, and don't expect the digipack treatment or that nice plastic slipcase that came with the BCI sets
    Plastic black amarays would be the logical thing to do with these budget releases.

BCI did a BRILLIANT JOB with the dvd sets. Set example for other companies to follow. If it wasn't for the economy, BCI would have a bright future ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    Why the heck would they re-release the MYP toon? Its not like the copies were flying off the shelves to begin with. Why not work on getting some new 80's properties or finishing existing ones?! I don't get some companies...
    Any MOTU franchise is HOT right now. The MOTUC line is selling bucketloads, there's a new movie coming up and God knows what else will be announced by Mattel this summer!!! (talking about more comics and perhaps a DTV cartoon) They would be stupid not to grab the opportunity. The MYP license was up in the air. Someone was bound to take it.

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah, and those were also around $50 MSRP, not $24.98.

4 different sets ?

it was 3 as far as I can remember. and the episode share was done right by half-1st-season + half-1st-season + Season 2

all LOADED with extra features.

the Classic MOTU sets were 6-disc totalling 33 episodes each !

with the new release from Mill Creek you get 9 disc material squeezed into 4! So, by all means, feel free to buy this value release since you held-off buying it from BCI.

Amazon still has some copies of the BCI sets if anyone is interested. But not for long..

It appears I started a brush fire with my comment. I'm just excited since I can finally get the series on dvd now, well more like a second chance. Thanks to a financial situation I had to pass up the initial BCI release. Knowing they'd never reprint it again (never did get the first half of the classic MOTU's second season either because of BCI's no reprint practice) I figured I was out of luck. Now I've got a second chance. Would I have liked to have gotten the BCI releases WITH the art cards and what not??? Of course. Because of my financial situation at that time I was put off by the prices of each set. The same is true over the Thundercats releases, although that was an entirely different company.

Also, I think differently in some circles. For instance, my logic was confounded when 39 episodes of new MOTU were being stretched across various sets while 30 plus episodes of classic MOTU could be fit within a single set alone. I kind of like my chickens in one basket, let's say.
    (Hordak Alpha))

It appears I started a brush fire with my comment. I'm just excited since I can finally get the series on dvd now, well more like a second chance. Thanks to a financial situation I had to pass up the initial BCI release. Knowing they'd never reprint it again (never did get the first half of the classic MOTU's second season either because of BCI's no reprint practice) I figured I was out of luck. Now I've got a second chance. Would I have liked to have gotten the BCI releases WITH the art cards and what not??? Of course. Because of my financial situation at that time I was put off by the prices of each set. The same is true over the Thundercats releases, although that was an entirely different company.

Also, I think differently in some circles. For instance, my logic was confounded when 39 episodes of new MOTU were being stretched across various sets while 30 plus episodes of classic MOTU could be fit within a single set alone. I kind of like my chickens in one basket, let's say.
    no worries buddy! And I apologise if I was too hursh! That wasnt my intention.

Quote Originally Posted by demiscy View Post
    no worries buddy! And I apologise if I was too hursh! That wasnt my intention.
    I didn't take it like that at all. Although, instead of the entire 2002-2004 series of MOTU coming to dvd, I'd prefer new dvd movies continuing the series and maybe setting up some elements where it could possibly tie more to classic MOTU, like the origin of He-Man classic costume being brought into the 200x continuity.
    (Hordak Alpha))

The Mill Creek people are cool. They have some ex-BCI people over there in key positions.

They're a totally different kind of company than BCI, even though both had their start in the PD market. Mill Creek gives you bang for your buck. They'll sublicense stuff from companies like BCI or Shout! Factory and put out the content in a more budget form. It won't have all the bells and whistles, and it may be a bit tightly packed, but for people who just want to watch the series and not pay a lot, its a heck of a good deal.

They aren't marketing towards videophiles and serious collectors. They're appealing to movie and TV fans. And it works. Its a good business model - especially in this economy.

Heroic Warrior
    Hi. Here's my suggestion.

Step 1: Let's get this information to all He-Man.org members and anywhere else we can.

Step 2: All He-Man.org members (and anyone else) contacts Mill Creek directly to request all He-Man/She-Ra titles be released in the popular Blu-Ray format.

Here's the contact information from their site ...

Mill Creek Entertainment
    2445 Nevada Avenue North
    Minneapolis, MN 55427

Toll-Free: (866) 410 9000
    Fax: (763) 595 9884

For Sales and Marketing:
    sales@millcreekent.com

For Customer Service:
    support@millcreekent.com

For Content Submissions:
    content@millcreekent.com

It would probably be best if we all contacted via the same email address. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by enlightenedbray View Post
    Hi. Here's my suggestion.

Step 1: Let's get this information to all He-Man.org members and anywhere else we can.

Step 2: All He-Man.org members (and anyone else) contacts Mill Creek directly to request all He-Man/She-Ra titles be released in the popular Blu-Ray format.

Here's the contact information from their site ...

Mill Creek Entertainment
    2445 Nevada Avenue North
    Minneapolis, MN 55427

Toll-Free: (866) 410 9000
    Fax: (763) 595 9884

For Sales and Marketing:
    sales@millcreekent.com

For Customer Service:
    support@millcreekent.com

For Content Submissions:
    content@millcreekent.com

It would probably be best if we all contacted via the same email address. Thoughts?
    Honestly? I don't think the .org officially supports these releases. Don't you think a news mention on the front page would be there already? Nothing is mentioned which makes me believe it's not something this forum is going to support.

Sure, it's a MOTU dvd set. But none of the original people involved in it, are anymore. (the art designers etc etc who are all members here in the forums)

But I agree, and we should use all 3 email addresses to send our suggestions for a Bluray release. At least for the MYP 2002 He-man! It doesn't hurt..

One note though to all international fans that are going to send an email: DON'T MENTION you live outside of the US. They don't care. I learnt this from Disney/Buena Vista customer service.