Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mill Creek Acquires Rights to MYP Show

I really like the idea of releasing an origins DVD but why not give us new covers or at least a remix of cover elements?
    Especially on the Origins DVD!

'Origins' is a new title. Why not a new cover?!

I find this very odd!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Heroic Warrior
    Hi everyone! Get ready for this one. I emailed Mill Creek and this is what I got back as a reply...

Thank you for your interest in Mill Creek Entertainment and the upcoming He-Man DVD releases. To answer your request, there is a Blu-Ray version of this DVD set in the works and it is slated to be released sometime in 2010. The announcement of this release will made upon our website in the future so, please continue to monitor our site for details on this and other future titles.

Awesome right?

B

Now, THAT is good news..................................

I think my heart stopped in the middle of the sentense...

by the way.. on Amazon, the COMPLETE SERIES is priced $18.99 and the ORIGINS is priced $14.98... can anyone say MISSPRICE?

Oh wow! This is a pretty big deal. I don't have anything on Blu-Ray, but I'm happy for all of you who wanted this.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Oh wow! This is a pretty big deal. I don't have anything on Blu-Ray, but I'm happy for all of you who wanted this.
    I'm happy for them as well. I'm not sure I'm going to get into Blu-Ray myself. For one, I don't want to have to buy all my DVDs all over again and it also seems that Blu-Ray is less successful than they were hoping. Who knows if it's going to last as long as DVD?
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Unfortunately, it's the way things seem to happen. I've been in the entertainment industry for years now. I see it happen all the time. Vinyl to CD to MP3, Laserdisc to DVD to Blu-Ray. HD didn't last. Studios are excited about Blu-Ray. We will see DVD start to phase out. I'm working with the studios to get something that would be better for the consumers and the companies all around. Believe me, a great solution is on the horizon. [BIG GRIN]

Quote Originally Posted by enlightenedbray View Post
    Unfortunately, it's the way things seem to happen. I've been in the entertainment industry for years now. I see it happen all the time. Vinyl to CD to MP3, Laserdisc to DVD to Blu-Ray. HD didn't last. Studios are excited about Blu-Ray. We will see DVD start to phase out. I'm working with the studios to get something that would be better for the consumers and the companies all around. Believe me, a great solution is on the horizon. [BIG GRIN]

I hope so! I like having something tangible in my hand as opposed to how so many people are download crazy these days. It just seems that while people were waiting to see if HD or Blu-Ray won, we were that much closer to the generation after those. It kills me that there are still things that haven't been released on DVD yet when some people are already getting geared up for what's after Blu-Ray. I demand my Pac-Man and Gobots(although thanks to crappy Hasbro owning its rights, that will never happen) animated series to finally be released.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    I really like the idea of releasing an origins DVD but why not give us new covers or at least a remix of cover elements?
    Especially on the Origins DVD!

'Origins' is a new title. Why not a new cover?!

I find this very odd!
    Its a budget release aimed at people who haven't already bought the BCI DVDs. They aren't going to spend the money to commission new artwork. There really isn't a reason to.

Quote Originally Posted by demiscy View Post
    Now, THAT is good news..................................

by the way.. on Amazon, the COMPLETE SERIES is priced $18.99 and the ORIGINS is priced $14.98... can anyone say MISSPRICE?
    That sounds right. Maybe a touch high for ORIGINS, I would've expected it to be 10 or 12.

The MSRPs of the 2 titles are 24.98 and 14.98.
    Last edited by BCI Guy; July 9, 2009 at 08:56pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Its a budget release aimed at people who haven't already bought the BCI DVDs. They aren't going to spend the money to commission new artwork. There really isn't a reason to.
    I disgree dude! There's plenty of decent material done to have a different cover. The reverse of vol.2 would've been great for instance. Would'ev cost little to nothing.
    It's a different title, regardless of content. It will have a different cat no. and barcode so it should have something that identifies it as a different title.
    I've done 3 budget Iron Man dvds with the same content but each one has a different colour or design element or treatment.

Put it this way, if that Origins had a different cover, I for one would've bought it as a MOTU origins DVD is a cool idea I think!
    www.eamonart.com

I disgree dude! There's plenty of decent material done to have a different cover. The reverse of vol.2 would've been great for instance. Would'ev cost little to nothing.
    It's a different title, regardless of content. It will have a different cat no. and barcode so it should have something that identifies it as a different title.
    I've done 3 budget Iron Man dvds with the same content but each one has a different colour or design element or treatment.

Put it this way, if that Origins had a different cover, I for one would've bought it as a MOTU origins DVD is a cool idea I think!
    Ahh. I see the problem. You're hung up on it being a different title, but its not. I'm pretty sure its the first 10 episodes of the series - just like D&D: Beginnings is the first 9.

The other thing you have to remember is they don't have the same relationship with Mattel that BCI did. They just sublicensed the content from Navarre. Its going to be 1000x easier for them to push artwork through with Mattel if they change as little as possible from what has already been approved.
    Last edited by BCI Guy; July 10, 2009 at 11:41am.

But they WILL have to create a new cover or covers for the Bluray release.

Heroic Warrior
    I must admit that I am a bit behind on the technology stuff myself. I have a PS3 and some blu-ray movies but no high-def t.v.

However, I've had my experience with witnessing high-def, and it's soooooooo much better than standard quality.

He-Man in Blu-Ray will rock!

Heroic Warrior
    Why? I'm sure they'll just put the Bluray logo on top like everyone else does.

Also, I wouldn't get too excited about their Bluray release anyway. As others have stated, Mills Creek does things for bargain hunters. I doubt they'll end up improving the quality all that much when they transfer to the Bluray format.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I doubt it. They'll just reformat it slightly to fit on a Blu-Ray case.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    Why? I'm sure they'll just put the Bluray logo on top like everyone else does.
    That's likely.

Also, I wouldn't get too excited about their Bluray release anyway. As others have stated, Mills Creek does things for bargain hunters. I doubt they'll end up improving the quality all that much when they transfer to the Bluray format.
    It might not be the best encode in the world or full of BD-Live features, but I'd imagine the video and audio quality would be a very solid step up from the DVDs - provided they use enough discs so the episodes have room to breath.

Heroic Warrior
    If they don't or can't improve the quality of the audio or video, maybe they'll just fit the 4 DVD's worth of content onto a single Blu-Ray disk - all 39 episodes on a single (dual-layer) disk - it would make it more convenient.

Or perhaps a BR release would give them the opportunity to include all the bonus features currently found in the BCI sets. A 2 or 3 disk BR set should be plenty of space.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger78 View Post
    If they don't or can't improve the quality of the audio or video, maybe they'll just fit the 4 DVD's worth of content onto a single Blu-Ray disk - all 39 episodes on a single (dual-layer) disk - it would make it more convenient.

Or perhaps a BR release would give them the opportunity to include all the bonus features currently found in the BCI sets. A 2 or 3 disk BR set should be plenty of space.
    That type of product you won't see for a long time - if ever.

Retailers want nothing to do with SD content on BR. Yes it would be space saving, but right now the push for BR is on quality and the idea to you NEED to upgrade to BR because of how much better things look and sound.

Putting SD material on BR discs will do nothing but confuse the consumer - and upset a number of people when they spend money to double-dip on a Blu-Ray and get it home to find it looks just like what they own.

Heroic Warrior
    Part of my reasoning behind an acceptability of DVD-quality stuff on a BR disk was that some BR disks I have (for example: Batman Begins, Cars, Enter the Dragon, The Dark Knight, and Transformers) have a combination of HD content and SD content included on the disk.

In the case of Enter the Dragon, there are multiple documentaries and feature(ette)s in SD - utilizing the space of the format in addition to an enhanced main movie.

With most of those listed above the main movie/key content is 1080p, but it wasn't that big of a shock to see some features of some of those disks in SD. Perhaps it's due to the PlayStation 3's upscaling to 1080, and/or my tv being 1080p-native. With my post, I mainly had Enter the Dragon in mind where they were able to fit more than just a movie on a single BR disk - it felt like I was getting a lot more value - the movie cleaned up so much felt just like a bonus in that particular case.
    Last edited by Stinger78; July 13, 2009 at 09:21am. Reason: Spelling error.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinger78 View Post
    Part of my reasoning behind an acceptability of DVD-quality stuff on a BR disk was that some BR disks I have (for example: Batman Begins, Cars, Enter the Dragon, The Dark Knight, and Transformers) have a combination of HD content and SD content included on the disk.

In the case of Enter the Dragon, there are multiple documentaries and feature(ette)s in SD - utilizing the space of the format in addition to an enhanced main movie.

With most of those listed above the main movie/key content is 1080p, but it wasn't that big of a shock to see some features of some of those disks in SD. Perhaps it's due to the PlayStation 3's upscaling to 1080, and/or my tv being 1080p-native. With my post, I mainly had Enter the Dragon in mind where they were able to fit more than just a movie on a single BR disk - it felt like I was getting a lot more value - the movie cleaned up so much felt just like a bonus in that particular case.

But that is not an accurate comparison. The point is that the content on some Blu-Rays that ends up being standard-def are the bonus features.

These are the extra little add-ons to give the release a little extra value. The movie is the main event, and is always in Hi-Def.

In the case of MOTU, the episodes are the main event, so they NEED to be in Hi-Def to make the release worth while.

As it is, I know of a lot of Blu-Ray fans who get annoyed when the bonus features are not in Hi-Def. They feel that since they are paying the premium price for Blu-Ray, the whole thing should be in Hi-Def.

To some extent I agree. I would prefer the bonus features to be in Hi-Def, though that is not a make or break deal for me. Plus I understand studios doing it that way to get everything on fewer discs when possible.

However, if the movie (or TV show episodes in the case of TV releases) were not in Hi-Def on Blu-Ray (particularly when there is proper source material for a good Hi-Def transfer, like there is with 200X MOTU), I'd be pretty upset.

While there is a certain convenience to not having to get up and change discs as often, being that I already have the 200X episodes on DVD a couple times over (I bought multiple copies to get the exclusives), the Blu-Ray release BETTER be in Hi-Def if they want me to buy it. That will be a make or break deal in me getting the Blu-Ray edition.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Updated information on the Blu-Ray release, etc.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/He-...y-Rumors/12311

Heroic Warrior
    Tallstar, thanks for the heads up. I don't see Mattel saying an absolute no on that one, espsecially with the new MOTUC figures (which ROCK!!!)

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    Oooh... I might just have to find an affordable Blu-Ray player if we see a Blu-Ray release. Not sure when I'll be getting a HDTV though...

Were the sale good enough for the MYP show to justify a Blu Ray Release?
    www.eamonart.com

Dunno. If I had to guess, I'd say it did better than She-Ra but not as well as Classic He-Man.

Here's how Volume 1 did on the Billboard Charts.

Top 40 Chart (main one): Didn't make the chart.
    Top Kid Video Chart: #12
    Top TV DVD Sales: #14

As a comparison, here's how Dragon Ball Z: Season 4 did:

Top 40 Chart (main one) #36
    Top Kid Video Chart: #3
    Top TV DVD Sales: #3

The franchise is good enough for one, though