Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mill Creek Acquires Rights to MYP Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    12 more days until the Origins release! (Wal-Mart's site is showing a September 1st release date at limited stores)

I'll probably wait to pick it up somewhere else, since Wal-Mart's sales don't get counted on the charts. hehe
    it's 67% off - dirt cheap on Amazon right now

Quote Originally Posted by demiscy View Post
    it's 67% off - dirt cheap on Amazon right now
    Holy crap. Only $4.99? I hope they sell tons.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I'm really concerned that they are squeezing 9 discs worth of material down to four DVDs. Most commercial releases only include five episodes per disc, although some do push it up to six or seven. Anymore than that and the quality really suffers. The bitrate will be lowered and you're likely to have artifacts from compression. Ten episodes per disc is ridiculous, especially since the extras will be included. This reminds me of the sort of pirate release you would see on Ebay or at conventions. It's great that they want to offer a low price, but it shouldn't be at the cost of quality.
    A boy and his cat versus the world...
    http://www.jaybellbooks.com/the-cat-in-the-cradle/

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Bell View Post
    I'm really concerned that they are squeezing 9 discs worth of material down to four DVDs. Most commercial releases only include five episodes per disc, although some do push it up to six or seven. Anymore than that and the quality really suffers. The bitrate will be lowered and you're likely to have artifacts from compression. Ten episodes per disc is ridiculous, especially since the extras will be included. This reminds me of the sort of pirate release you would see on Ebay or at conventions. It's great that they want to offer a low price, but it shouldn't be at the cost of quality.
    Not much that can be done. It's the nature of the company. I know Mill Creek even do that with their 50 horror movies pack; 4 movies per disc with 2 on each side, which is the equivalent of 8-10 MOTU episodes per side. Since I already have some of that stuff on DVD individually, I can definitely see a difference in the quality. I also have one of the 20 movie packs and that's 5 movies per disc on those.

Pizza flows through me HordeFan's Avatar
    I do have a question! Ok, so I purchsed the complete series on DVD on e-bay. I'm still waiting to receive it but I was wondeirng if there is more than one edition of this? Is there a Best Buy special edition (complete 39 episodes) that comes with extras? Or is there just one version of this?

I guess I'm trying to get at, where does this "episode 40" comic come with? Was it sold in stores? With a dvd purchase? Just curious. Any help would be appreciated.

(OH, can someone give me a list of the different editions that came out? I Know there are Best Buy exclusives and then there was a convention one, etc. Thanks!)

Holy crap. Only $4.99? I hope they sell tons.
    I hope the same even with the fact that these will not be as good as our BCI Eclipse sets, (I am fully committed to purchasing these releases, in the hope that they sell well). I guess, I hope that there is some "Promotional Material of Mattel's "MotU:C" line. I would love to see the brand get more recognition, especially if the film does go ahead.

Take Care,
    Darren
    Mattel please, buy the He-Man and She-Ra cartoons from Entertainment Rights. If you owned Both Filmation related "MotU" cartoons, plus "NA" and "MYP" cartoons, you would be able to distribute any or all 4 cartoons to Television in the lead up to another relaunch or a live action movie. Plus, you could include Filmation and "NA" animated characters in "MotU:C"!

Long Live 'MOTU'!

Quote Originally Posted by HordeFan View Post
    I do have a question! Ok, so I purchsed the complete series on DVD on e-bay. I'm still waiting to receive it but I was wondeirng if there is more than one edition of this? Is there a Best Buy special edition (complete 39 episodes) that comes with extras? Or is there just one version of this?

I guess I'm trying to get at, where does this "episode 40" comic come with? Was it sold in stores? With a dvd purchase? Just curious. Any help would be appreciated.

(OH, can someone give me a list of the different editions that came out? I Know there are Best Buy exclusives and then there was a convention one, etc. Thanks!)
    Episode 40 comic was a Best Buy exclusive that came with MYP's MOTU Vol 3.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=165737

To the best of my knowledge, this is an accurate list of all MOTU related DVDs(not including Mill Creek's recently released MYP's MOTU "value pack", the unofficial Unemployed Skeletor DVD that was made a year or so ago, PSP releases, or Van Damme's Cyborg DVD since it was originally set to be a sequel to 1987's live action MOTU movie).
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

That's perfect, thank you! Geez, I had no idea there were so many releases! Crazy.

That's perfect, thank you! Geez, I had no idea there were so many releases! Crazy.
    After I finally got the SDCC exclusive cover to MYP's MOTU Vol 3, I thought I had all of them. When I found out that Costco, Suncoast, and Sam's Club had exclusives as well, I just gave up. Considering DVDs are already on their way out, these collections will be obsolete relatively soon. I'd just get what you want to watch. Most of the exclusives aren't that great.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Mill Creek responded to my questions:

Q: Will you guys be including a print ad for the new Masters of the Universe Classics figures from Mattel in the upcoming MOTU set? Also, is there any chance you guys might pick up the She-Ra series as well?

A: Mill Creek Entertainment: Hi..thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately, there will not be a print ad for the MOTU figures from Mattel included in the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (2002) Complete Series DVD release, streeting 9/29/09. As far as other Filmation properties, all I can say is...stay tuned.

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    "Stay Tuned" is better than "currently we have no plans to purchase the property" or "no information can be provided at this time".

Stay tuned sounds somewhat promising. I'm sure it might depend on how the MYP series does in sales.

Mill Creek responded to my questions:

Q: Will you guys be including a print ad for the new Masters of the Universe Classics figures from Mattel in the upcoming MOTU set? Also, is there any chance you guys might pick up the She-Ra series as well?

A: Mill Creek Entertainment: Hi..thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately, there will not be a print ad for the MOTU figures from Mattel included in the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (2002) Complete Series DVD release, streeting 9/29/09. As far as other Filmation properties, all I can say is...stay tuned.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

all the releases with pics
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=168482

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    After I finally got the SDCC exclusive cover to MYP's MOTU Vol 3, I thought I had all of them. When I found out that Costco, Suncoast, and Sam's Club had exclusives as well, I just gave up. Considering DVDs are already on their way out, these collections will be obsolete relatively soon. I'd just get what you want to watch. Most of the exclusives aren't that great.
    CostCo and SunCoast ALSO had MYP HEMAN exclusives????
    I dont remember what these were... can you refresh my memory?
    Last edited by demiscy; September 2, 2009 at 02:37pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'd be surprised if Mill Creek goes after the Filmation stuff, as its now owned by a company that could be seen as a competitor of theirs.

The Mattel stuff was easy because they just sublicensed it from Navarre, but that can't be done with Filmation.

I guess its possible that Classic Media has absolutely no interest in putting out any of the Filmation stuff themselves and would consider licensing it out. The Mill Creek would have a chance to bid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I guess its possible that Classic Media has absolutely no interest in putting out any of the Filmation stuff themselves and would consider licensing it out. The Mill Creek would have a chance to bid for it.
    I asked Classic Media if they had any upcoming She-Ra products, and they just said there was limited apparel and DVDs on the market, so I'm not sure if they're even planning to do anything with that property.

It was difficult to even get a response from them. I had to e-mail every department on their site, and then it was a long time before I got anything back. Companies like Classic Media and Entertainment Rights confuse me. They seem very secretive, even when actual product IS released.

I asked Classic Media if they had any upcoming She-Ra products, and they just said there was limited apparel and DVDs on the market, so I'm not sure if they're even planning to do anything with that property.
    Right. But I'm not sure why ANYONE would want to release anything Filmation right now. At the moment, other than 1 He-Man set, you can still get most of the BCI stuff cheap. And there probably is not a very big market of people who want the stuff, but didn't already buy it.

Again, the MYP stuff was different. Mill Creek didn't have to pay a full licensing cost to get it, they just sublicensed it - likely at a VERY affordable rate. Just like they've done with Ultraman, Wanted Dead or Alive and the Crown library.

But to license Filmation would be starting from scratch, and likely for significant money. And I'm not sure there is currently a big enough market to bear those costs.

I just get the complete series DVD today! It's awesome! I was a little surprised that it was just the 3 volumes (individually wrapped) in one box. I thought it would be one giant "book" with the nine discs in it.

The extras were neat with the commentaries and the behind the scenes footage.

Right. But I'm not sure why ANYONE would want to release anything Filmation right now. At the moment, other than 1 He-Man set, you can still get most of the BCI stuff cheap. And there probably is not a very big market of people who want the stuff, but didn't already buy it.
    I guess I'm not following. -- Earlier in the thread you had mentioned something about Mill Creek's relationship with Wal-Mart and business practices; that they're marketing these DVDs/catering to a completely different group of people than us. So...why not?

Plus, did all the Filmation DVDs make it to Wal-Mart? My thought was that they could package He-Man and She-Ra as inexpensive 'complete series' sets, or at least combine their first seasons into one package.

As for BCI DVDs, yes some of them are still out there, however, I don't see any of the stores carrying She-Ra's box sets anymore and it's rare to see Classic He-Man at retail around these parts.

I guess I'm not following. -- Earlier in the thread you had mentioned something about Mill Creek's relationship with Wal-Mart and business practices; that they're marketing these DVDs/catering to a completely different group of people than us. So...why not?
    Well, Classic Media would have to virtually give them the license to be able to allow them to sell them as cheaply as they do to Wal-Mart. So it depends on how much value Classic Media places on the library. Both monetarily (as in, can the deal make sense financially) and from a perceived value standpoint (some companies don't want their properties being sold at a budget price because they feel it devalues the property).

Plus, did all the Filmation DVDs make it to Wal-Mart? My thought was that they could package He-Man and She-Ra as inexpensive 'complete series' sets, or at least combine their first seasons into one package.
    All of He-Man made it into Wal-Mart, and either the first or first and 2nd Sh-Ra releases did as well. And it goes back to the same issue. Classic Media juts spent a lot of money acquiring the library, they may not be so willing to license it out at a reduced price.

As for BCI DVDs, yes some of them are still out there, however, I don't see any of the stores carrying She-Ra's box sets anymore and it's rare to see Classic He-Man at retail around these parts.
    Its also been less than 1 year since they were readily available. That's usually not enough time to rebuild a demand - especially when there isn't a hook - like a new cartoon or movie currently happening.

And that also doesn't take into account that Classic Media is a DVD publisher, so they may not have any desire to have a different company release their properties.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but I can't see any good business sense to release any of the Filmation library right now. If a He-Man movie ever actually materializes, then you could make a great argument for re-releasing MOTU (and possibly POP).
    Last edited by BCI Guy; September 3, 2009 at 02:16am.

Well, Classic Media would have to virtually give them the license to be able to allow them to sell them as cheaply as they do to Wal-Mart. So it depends on how much value Classic Media places on the library. Both monetarily (as in, can the deal make sense financially) and from a perceived value standpoint (some companies don't want their properties being sold at a budget price because they feel it devalues the property).
    Ahhh, I see. Since Classic Media is also a DVD publisher, it probably wouldn't make a lot of sense for them to license out this stuff to a competitor. But looking at some of their past DVD sets, it appears they occasionally do similar budget sets on some of their vintage/retro properties.

I wish Classic Media had a closer relationship with the fans, to where they could give us a little bit of an idea where the Filmation stuff is heading in the future, if anywhere, or if direct-to-DVD movies are even feasible.

I just get the complete series DVD today! It's awesome! I was a little surprised that it was just the 3 volumes (individually wrapped) in one box. I thought it would be one giant "book" with the nine discs in it.

The extras were neat with the commentaries and the behind the scenes footage.
    Can you please post pictures of the Mill Creek MYP He-man Complete set?

So it's actually 9 discs? In the press release and on Amazon it says 4, so this is a good surprise.

So it's actually the SAME discs but with a different outter box?

The clear slipcases are there too? Come onnn we want picsssss

So it's actually 9 discs? In the press release and on Amazon it says 4, so this is a good surprise.
    Nope, he was talking about the BCI set with the 3 individual volumes. I know the Mill Creek set is 4 discs - I've seen it.

Its just a post in the wrong thread.

Yes, each volume has 3 discs. They are in their slipcases, which kicked ass by the way. In each volume was an episode guide and 2 art cards. I'll post the link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

That should do it. Does anyone know if there are any easter eggs in these?

Heroic Warrior
    That's the Best Buy exclusive from awhile back. That's not the one people have been talking about on this thread. There is a bare bones release coming out from Mills Creek.