Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Completist or Non-Completist: What's A Complete MOTUC Collection To You?

Completist or Non-Completist: What's A Complete MOTUC Collection To You?

Some of us will never have a complete MOTUC collection unless we have EVERY figure and EVERY variant on our shelf. Others are "vintage MOTU-only" folks while some consider vintage POP just as crucial as MOTU. But then there's NA, 200X, Filmation and even "Son Of He-Man" era characters. And what about beasts, vehicles and play sets? If you only consider some of these categories essential for a complete collection, but not others, why? What's your philosophy/criteria for what you consider to be a complete MOTUC collection?

For example:

MOTUC is all about nostalgia for me, so I'm only interested in what I call "all media vintage era non-POP MOTU" characters, beasts, vehicles and play sets. This means that while I have zero interest in POP(too girly), NA(too cheesy), 200X(too contemporary) or Son of He-Man(too...um...I just don't care), I'm all about anyone who was in the vintage toy line as well as anyone who appeared in any vintage era media - Filmation cartoons, mini-comics, ladybird storybooks, etc). Goat Man and Geldor float my boat just as much as Ram Man or Trap Jaw. And, no, I will never consider Meteorbs true MOTU. I thought they were lame when I was a kid and still do.

But that's just me. What're you guys into? And why?

(Also, please don't take my personal tastes as disparaging toward anyone who likes categories that I don't. I celebrate and respect EVERYONE'S preferences even if they're not my preferred flavors.)
    Last edited by Battle Ham; June 15, 2016 at 06:52pm.

All but Bronze and BlueClear King Grayskull, chrome She-Ra, and DC half of DCU -vs- MOTUC 2 packs.

Queen of the evil Horde AlexisLasek's Avatar
    Meteorbs and the preternian dinosaurs. Until then the collection will not be complete imo. That said I still need to get a lot of the released motuc figures lol.
    I now have a toy review site!/

Heroic Warrior
    I was a Super-MoTUC-Completeist until very recently! Right up to where I had to entertain the thought of ANOTHER Granamyr in my home. :^)

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    All but Bronze and BlueClear King Grayskull, chrome She-Ra, and DC half of DCU -vs- MOTUC 2 packs.
    Yep I got everything except for the bronze and the blue King Grayskull and the chome She-Ra.

A lot of my collecting is nostalgia driven as well. But I like to complete factions and have enjoyed 99% of the line. I didn't really have to have Hurricane Hordak and didn't bother with Spirit of Hordak either. But ones like Anti-Eternia He-Man intrigues me, I've always loved the doppelganger concept. I've got everything I wanted except Rotar, Twistoid and the talon fighter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rankinman; June 16, 2016 at 12:12am.

He-bro & depp76: Jeeze. I didn't even know there was a chrome She-Ra. Was that a super rare exclusive like the blue King Grayskull?

rankinman: Yeah, I was never into the vintage variants either - even when I was a kid, I had zero interest in any other He-Mans, Skeletors or Hordaks after the original versions.

there was a thread like this elsewhere that I went into great length with. Since it is a repeat (and though the original thread maybe is gone?) I'll just throw this out quicklike.

All MOTUC obviously. I would argue the original Grayskull release is either just the standard one with the bronze as optional, or even both since the packaging was different.

As a side note I'd add Filmation & TRU 2 packs if you are a rabid completest, especially if you are one of those weird MIB people. I'm not married to that but I pick and choose figures that I think will augment my MOTUC collection well.

Now if the OP was actually not asking what a complete MOTUC collection is and is asking what would we believe a MOTUC complete collection should or would look like, then I can add some to that idea.

I feel like for it to be correct All vintage toy NA characters should get made. Heck, I do not even care if I get them all personall but for MOTUC to be "Completed" I feel it would be remiss not to finish that line as well. Not even the variants, just the original versions of the characters.

I think at this juncture the biggest "hole" in the all encompassing nature of across eras and media that we can actually get is Lodar. Obviously if we could get Karg, he's the biggest. Until I hear otherwise we cannot get him and I do not mind focusing on characters we can actually get at this time.

About anything else is gravy at this point past what I referenced above. We all have characters that we personally think are just the bee's knees and want desperately and would feel personally bad about not getting. I accept that alot of those choices are only now feeling like "holes" because this well has ran so deep already. But I understand that what we have is amazing and all encompassing of everything that has ever been MOTU

Except Songster. The original character from the stage show? That is the last unique "bring it all together in one line from every corner of the mythos" that we are missing. Heck, I'd personally take Songster over Karg if I had to vote if only because we already have movie figures. I want that stand out unique origin character in Songster. Pipe dream at this point, I know, but I can hold out hope.

so if I wanted MOTUC "complete" I cannot argue we do not already have that, excepting the NA guys which really deserve their spot even if I am not worried about it personally beyond SAGITAR give me Sagitar!... excuse me.

I could judge by groupings and in that case the "holes" I feel I have are a King Miro to "finish" the royal family. I could go on with other characters but he's a big hole in his way for that reason and I think a standout just for "factions". Of course that case could be made with tons of characters so I'll just stick with him for now.

I'll end this that at this point everything is gravy and if/when it's over the 2 characters that would make me feel like MOTUC and what it set out to do missed something is Lodar & Songster as unique characters from around MOTU lore that would truly "finish" making this line something from every media from every era.

My personal wants are elaborated elsewhere in the proper "who do you want" threads.

Sorry. Maybe I should've made it more clear that what I'm asking everyone is what they consider complete out of what's actually been produced thus far. I'm not asking for wish lists, as I know that's a whole thread unto itself. But I liked hearing your philosophy behind WHY you consider certain characters as essential. That's the fun part- hearing everyone's different opinions and philosophies on collecting this line.

Advocating for a New Adventures Mini-Sub!
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle Ham View Post
    Sorry. Maybe I should've made it more clear that what I'm asking everyone is what they consider complete out of what's actually been produced thus far. I'm not asking for wish lists, as I know that's a whole thread unto itself. But I liked hearing your philosophy behind WHY you consider certain characters as essential. That's the fun part- hearing everyone's different opinions and philosophies on collecting this line.
    I consider a complete line to be everything that has been released in said line. For me, I am still not complete because I will (probably) never own the chrome She-Ra due to her EXTREMELY limited run. Everything else produced by Mattel for the MOTUC line I own. (And, yes, I've had to pay ridiculous sums of money for certain items... which I now regret )

Also, for the record, MOTUC, as a whole, will never be complete until the rest of the vintage New Adventures figures are added to the line. Truth.
    Masters of the Universe and ThunderCats - together for the first time! Pure AWESOME!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Queen of the evil Horde AlexisLasek's Avatar
    In that case,many of the ones that would complete it, I have not got yet. To me the eseentials are He-man, She-ra, Hordak, etc.

For the Masters I would say for me, the only essentials are He-man , Battle Cat, Orko, Sorceress, and Teela. (of those I have two thus far)
    For POP my essentials would be Razz, She-ra, Mermista, Kowl, swiftwind, and Snout Spout. On this one it is because as a kid I was not allowed to get She-Ra figures for reasons I won't get into here, but I did have She-ra, Kowl, Swiftwind, and Catra. I always wanted a Razz made as she was a fav, Snout Spout though a MOTU figure has sentimental reasons that go back to my childhood and I love mermaids lol.
    All of the Snake Men are essential and some of Skeletor's army (especially Mer-Man), I honestly prefer the other factions as the villians that fight The Masters (which includes POP). I will say this two of the most important figures to me I don't have Mer-Man and Mosquitor. Mosquitor is essential because when I was younger my sister bought me him at a Kaybees toys. To this day he is one of the few characters/ toys that I wish I still had (I hope to get the classics and vintage versions someday). What makes him even more essential to me is that my sister passed a few years or so ago so whenever I see images of him i do think of her.
    I now have a toy review site!/

Quote Originally Posted by depp76 View Post
    Yep I got everything except for the bronze and the blue King Grayskull and the chome She-Ra.
    For myself I'd have to say everything except the blue KGS and the chrome She-Ra as well. I think the bronze KGS is attainable (not that I have one yet). I would include the DC vs MotU 2 packs but just the MotU figures not the DC figures (for loose collectors). Personally I doubt I'd ever bother chasing after the vanishing Orko variant but I wouldn't claim to have a complete collection without it. If I did have everything but that Orko it might break me though.

So depp76 my man in my book you have a complete collection!
    Last edited by MJOLNIR; June 16, 2016 at 07:48pm.

I'd say a complete collection includes every mass-released figure. The ones which only had a few exclusive releases don't necessarily count.
    ALAS, POOR CLASSICS....

Top want list: Mask of Power Demons, Snake Goddess Teela, GITD Goddess, Snake Mountain Man, Dree-Elle & Montork, 200X Beast-Man, Red Beast, Ra-Jar, Great Black Wizard, Dragoon, King Torius, 200x Centaur Chief, Queen Andreeno.

2 Collectors' Choice. 2 2.0s 3 Thundercats
    ME WANT MORE MYTHIC LEGIONS!

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    I definitely don't consider the first blue, clear Spirit of Grayskull or the Chrome She-Ra to be part of the line. They were not released to the general public and very, VERY few of them were created. I think if you have everything else in the line minus these two, you can honestly say your MOTUC collection is complete.
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; June 16, 2016 at 01:47am.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Well, for me, I only care about the figures that appeared in the vintage MOTU line. With few exceptions (Wun-Dar, Vikor, Demo-Man, Oo-Larr etc.) I have only collected vintage MOTU based figures and I consider my collection "complete".

There are a few I passed on but they are few and far between. My collection is great and complete without them IMO. Maybe someday when the line is dead if I find them on the super cheap but for now I'm good. And there are some that I just gave to my 10 year old. Someday when I'm gone I figure the figures will be his anyway.

I don't count Chrome She-Ra or Blue Spirit of Grayskull to be part of the official collection because less than ten were made. They weren't part of a mass release so it's impossible for collectors to have them. To me, that would be like counting prototypes as legit MOTUC releases.

Instead, I consider a complete MOTUC collection to have all the mass-produced releases, including some of the limited items like:

Bronze King Grayskull chase variant from 2008 SDCC
    TRU 2-Pack He-Man, Skeletor, Zodac, She-Ra, Mer-Man, and Battle Armor Faker
    The exclusive fused Keldor Sword from 2013 Power Con
    The Gold Power Sword from the DVD Boxed Set
    Imp as Treasure Chest exclusive from 2014 SDCC
    Exclusive Camo Khan, Red Beast Man, and Green Granamyr figures from 2016 Power Con

Technically, you could also include some slight variants like He-Ro w/ SDCC chest stamp, or his different gemstones, and flocked Moss Man. Those are probably the only figures than I'm missing but I don't really care for them, personally. I also don't count the Grayskull & Snake Mountain figure stands.
    Like He-Man & She-Ra artwork? Check out my latest art and MOTUC pics at Havoc Staff!

Heroic Warrior
    Based on the OP's clarification about what's been released already, I'd say the original MOTU line in Classics form. We've achieved that. But, taking Classics' all inclusive philosophy, we still have some way to go.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Eternian Music Master mikethedrummer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    I definitely don't consider the first blue, clear Spirit of Grayskull or the Chrome She-Ra to be part of the line. They were not released to the general public and very, VERY few of them were created. I think if you have everything else in the line minus these two, you can honestly say your MOTUC collection is complete.
    I totally agree with this. So aside from a few "The Original" versions like the Palace Guards, Snout Spout which has not been confirmed via a pix, my collection is complete...until they release the next figure.
    PS3 contact: InfernoSkeletor
    PS4 contact: Petruk1976
    mikethedrummer's feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=181087

The reason I put the "spirit of Grayskull" fig in the 2015 line was exactly as people noted above. The 2008 employee fig is not part of the official line. Hence left off the poster too. The 2015 release was meant to be a way to deliver this figure officially in the line. Originally it was actually going to be clear (just a different shade) but Brandon improved it and made it GOTD. (But I kept an all clear proto we did at the time before it was made Glow!)

The silver She-ra is a trophy mounted to a base. Not a figure. (But it is a cool piece too!).

Anyone have an actual number of figures done? Beasts? Counting individual bodies as a fig, not extra heads as another fig (so palace guard is 2 figs not 4).

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Sorry. Maybe I should've made it more clear that what I'm asking everyone is what they consider complete out of what's actually been produced thus far.
    A complete MOTUC collection for me would be every figure that I want to get. That's about as descriptive as I can be. I am vintage heavy but I also want/buy most figures that appeared in the original lines (MOTU/PoP/NA). I also like most (but not all) concept/mini comic figures. I buy some MOTUC figures based on the Filmation cartoon but only villains although I have no interest in the Filmation Collector line itself. The only hard rule is that if it's a villain, I will most likely buy it (except Nephtu which I couldn't bring myself to buy in all it's plain dullness)...unless it's from the Filmation Collector's line. I even caved in and bought the Unnamed One with it's awful backstory.

So basically, I buy what appeals to me...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Micro-Man View Post
    I don't count Chrome She-Ra or Blue Spirit of Grayskull to be part of the official collection because less than ten were made. They weren't part of a mass release so it's impossible for collectors to have them. To me, that would be like counting prototypes as legit MOTUC releases.

Instead, I consider a complete MOTUC collection to have all the mass-produced releases, including some of the limited items like:

Exclusive Camo Khan, Red Beast Man, and Green Granamyr figures from 2016 Power Con

Technically, you could also include some slight variants like He-Ro w/ SDCC chest stamp, or his different gemstones, and flocked Moss Man. Those are probably the only figures than I'm missing but I don't really care for them, personally. I also don't count the Grayskull & Snake Mountain figure stands.
    This for me is exactly how I feel. With the exception of that DC SheRa since she was an exact duplicate nothing changed (unless you collect MOC). The other DC vs figs had changes to them to make them variants.
    I DO think the different He-Ro gem stones count.

I am currently missing all flocked MossMan, Rotar & Twistoid, and Anti Eternia HeMan.
    Other wise I have every figure and accessory.

I will get those three sets at some point though.

For me it's less of a straight line and more of a wavy line. It meanders through several of the lines as opposed to straight across.
    For example the "Vintage" style would be my first love so to speak. And while I've never really watched many of the 200x stories, the figs are still great so I have several of them.
    NA really isn't my thing, but I have a couple of the figs that I found appealing.
    Since I'm late to the game I've really had to prioritize my collecting. Some of the ones I've gotten weren't really my "Must have" figures, but were more affordable and fit nicely in my collection. Exampled would be Icer, Batros, etc.

Nature's Greatest Wonder Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Micro-Man View Post

For the most part I agree with this.

Even though I do have it, I would argue the fused Keldor sword is a huge gray area since you can accomplish the same thing with the regular version and a little glue.

There are other gray areas in the line, such as different pack-outs for items like Marlena or Vykron. The figures and accessories inside the box were the exact same thing, but they were packed differently, and in the case of Marlena, one was labeled as Queen Marlena and the other as Captain Glenn. But that really only matters if you are keeping them MOC and are particular about the pack out. If you are opening them, then it really doesn't matter.

I have all 3 gem colors for He-Ro. They are all the Matty version. I didn't bother with the SDCC version since I just didn't care for the convention logo being printed on the actual figure.

At one point I had written the flocked ears Mossman off as a variant that I would likely never get, which is a gray area anyway since it was a production run change. But then as a result of older figures being sold at Big Lots, I was able to work out a trade and got one.

Otherwise I have every figure released in the line.

In the name of the Lloyd!

A complete MOTU collection to me is every single motu figure, item etc, etc, that has been released. I like to consider myself a completest, but there are holes in my collection as in figures i either missed out on or never had before, or could not afford at the time. Motu Classics which I am currently subscribed to, and been with since the start of Classics… is nearly complete, but there are figures, and the Talon Fighter from Classics for example is what I have not been able to get yet, especially some of the figures that where SDCC exclusives. I am happy to say though that I did my very best to get the Classics Castle Grayskull. It was a no brainer at the time that I knew I had to get that monster of a play set. New Adventures of the vintage toy line, I really never got to own, but I have always been optimistic, that I would collect them one day. Currently I am re-collecting, or reuniting with some vintage motu accessories, figures and parts that I once used to have before years ago And I’m collecting figures i never had as in Rio Blast, and the red winged Stratos. Blue winged Stratos is who I always had growing up. I believe those figures opens the door for other figures I missed out on over 30yrs ago. As for the vintage POP She-Ra line goes, I say why not, it be cool collecting that particular line since I do already have the vintage She-Ra doll/figure. So by saying that though, I am content for the time being with the POP Classics line, as I feel they were nicely done in so many ways. The 200x series, I can say I have my fair share in some, but not all the figures in there package, along with vehicles and the first release of Castle Grayskull with that built in voice chip. Then there are those motu statues. Expensive yes, but as with every other figure in this line, one day those shall be mine too lol. I will be eventually collecting the current Filmation Sub that's going on, but my funds at the time of the sign up were not available at the time. It is true that it will be more expensive to buy, especially seeing the prices up on eBay lately and the Filmation figures no longer available. In a way, not collecting the current Filmation line, gives me the chance to focus on my vintage line for the time being and obviously not paying Mattycollector nearly as much as I was paying before.

Well, that’s my take on this topic. Good Journey Everyone.

LONG LIVE MOTU/MOTUC’S/FILMATION/POP
    Last edited by ralgonzo26; June 16, 2016 at 02:15pm.