Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MattyCollector Charging Sales Tax

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar

MattyCollector Charging Sales Tax

So, when printing off my invoice for this month's Matty purchase, I noticed that I was charged sales tax and I never have been before. I have my stuff shipped to Michigan.

I'm confused as to why Matty/Digital River is now charging sales tax in more States. I know the US Senate voted in favour of online retailers collecting sales tax in May, but a bill has not been passed yet. There are concerns about how small businesses will collect taxes, new taxes, state sovereignty, etc. In fact, there are those opposing this and the Illinois Supreme Court ruled against online retailers collecting sales tax this year. The New York Supreme court has until today to give their ruling on the same issue.

Since all of this is up in the air and not law yet, why is Mattel charging sales tax in new states?

I'm pretty upset about this because I'm a Canadian getting my stuff shipped to Michigan. When I get Castle Grayskull (which I preordered BEFORE they started this), I will be charged Michigan sales tax (6%) PLUS the Ontario sales tax (13%). This is bull!

Here's an article about the current situation:
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...99K0T620131021

Here's an article on the Michigan tax situation (pretty much the same):
    http://www.dailytribune.com/governme...illed-in-house

This is all MattyCollector says about sales tax:

Do I have to pay sales tax?
    Depending on the order, sales tax may be calculated and charged. Any sales tax charged will be indicated once your billing and/or shipping address have been entered during checkout.

If you live outside the United States, custom and tariff fees may apply according to your country's import laws. These fees are not collected by this company, and this company does not have control of these fees.

More questions?
    What do they mean by "depending on the order"? Hmmm...

https://www.mattycollector.com/DRHM/...00&Env=BASE#q5
    Last edited by Darkspecter; October 23, 2013 at 02:43pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Matty Collector started charging me sales tax in summer 2012 and I live in Ohio. No other online website, other than those that have a physical location in my state (ie - Walmart, Target, TRU), charge me sales tax today - not even Amazon. It really sucks because it's an additional 7% and they include the item's price PLUS shipping in their tax base.

I obviously wish they didn't collect the sales tax, but by law we are required to self report online purchases that did not collect sales tax on our personal income tax returns each year. I think most people don't do that because it hasn't been, and probably can't be, enforced by the IRS. That is why they are pushing for all online retailers to collect sales tax for online purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    I obviously wish they didn't collect the sales tax, but by law we are required to self report online purchases that did not collect sales tax on our personal income tax returns each year. I think most people don't do that because it hasn't been, and probably can't be, enforced by the IRS. That is why they are pushing for all online retailers to collect sales tax for online purchases.
    Interesting. Do you know if there's some way to report how I do not live in the US, to get the taxes back I'm being charged?
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    Interesting. Do you know if there's some way to report how I do not live in the US, to get the taxes back I'm being charged?
    I think the problem is that you are having them shipped to Michigan, so therefor they are going to charge tax because it is based on a US address that collects tax. As far as they know you are a US citizen since you are having them shipped to a US address.
    “Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” ― Apple Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    I think the problem is that you are having them shipped to Michigan, so therefor they are going to charge tax because it is based on a US address that collects tax. As far as they know you are a US citizen since you are having them shipped to a US address.
    I think they know because of the Canadian credit card and Canadian billing address. Argh. The costs of MOTUC figures keep increasing between actual increase in price of the figure, then shipping increases and now taxes.

I think they know because of the Canadian credit card and Canadian billing address. Argh. The costs of MOTUC figures keep increasing between actual increase in price of the figure, then shipping increases and now taxes.
    I wish I could be of more help, but I really think that is why. I don't think it matters who is buying the item, but WHERE it is being delivered.
    “Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” ― Apple Inc.

Heroic Warrior

Since all of this is up in the air and not law yet, why is Mattel charging sales tax in new states?
    It's likely Digital River has some kind of presence in that area now. Online retailers will charge sales tax if they have a brick and mortar store in the state where you make a purchase. DR has software facilities that have nothing to do with the product we purchase from Matty, but we still have to pay sales tax because it's considered a brick and mortar store within the state and it all falls under the same umbrella.

I fought with them last year to try and get this tax charge reimbursed, but I found out that they had some kind of facility on the west end of my state. The whole thing is ridiculous I know. Just like it's ridiculous how they gouge us on shipping to pay for warehouse storage space.
    Last edited by PPC; October 23, 2013 at 03:44pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    Matty Collector started charging me sales tax in summer 2012 and I live in Ohio. No other online website, other than those that have a physical location in my state (ie - Walmart, Target, TRU), charge me sales tax today - not even Amazon. It really sucks because it's an additional 7% and they include the item's price PLUS shipping in their tax base.

Just a guess, but could be they are required to charge sales tax if MattyCollector is based in California (which they are, but where they are legally incorporated could be a different matter)? I don't know the exact laws in California, but they are usually more stringent about this kind of stuff, no? A store like Walmart, Target, TRU, or Amazon might technically be based/incorporated in a state with laxer laws, so they might not be legally required to charge sales tax. I'm not a lawyer, I'm just guessing here.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

I always get charged sales tax with Amazon when I make a purchase, but I am assuming that is because many of their warehouse and shipping facilities are located in my state. I don't get charged sales tax from Matty or any other online retailer that I can think of off the top of my head.

I'm in Texas and I get charged sales tax by MattyCollector as well as Amazon. It's a bummer too because the rate is really high at 8.25%. Interestingly, I only get charged sales tax on items from Amazon if the item is actually sold by Amazon. If I order something from Amazon that is sold by a different seller, even if the order is "fulfilled by Amazon.com", I don't get charged sales tax.

Randor Grizzlor Lovechild bigassbuzz's Avatar
    I'm in OHIO too. Reselling figures is now my only real job.
    I have noticed a big difference this year due to tax being added. The cost per figure is really too high now. I remember last year selling most extras for about $30 each and sometimes under. This year the figures wind up costing about $31 after the higher shipping and tax. Even the figures that sold out very quickly have been pretty much peg-warming at the $35 and $40 price point.
    Trying to stay profitable with the Hyve of Villainy is definitely not as easily accomplished with MOTUC as it once was.
    Thanks Mangs.
    -Buzz out
    www.hyveofvillainy.com - Evil Action Figures

My ORG FEEDBACK is here.

So, when printing off my invoice for this month's Matty purchase, I noticed that I was charged sales tax and I never have been before. I have my stuff shipped to Michigan.

I'm pretty upset about this because I'm a Canadian getting my stuff shipped to Michigan. When I get Castle Grayskull (which I preordered BEFORE they started this), I will be charged Michigan sales tax (6%) PLUS the Ontario sales tax (13%). This is bull!

Thanks to this tread Im paying closer attention to my matty Order. If I'm paying 19% on items I'm out. Ontario, Canada is already collecting a gold fee off me via duty and taxes on that... This Im not happy about in any way.

I'm in California and they've been charging the 9%+ sales tax for a few years now (I'm going to guess 2010 or 2011 is when it started). It sucks but taxes are what taxes are, it's the law and they do serve a function so I can't really complain (although it would be great not to be charged). BUT... what I have complained about is the fact that when they started charging California tax DR also charged tax on the shipping which based on the Matty/DR business and delivery model actually violates the tax code and is technically illegal in the state of California (not that the state typically goes after people for overcharging tax like this... But still). I actually haven't been paying as much to my invoices lately so I'm not sure if this is still going on or not, but it had gone on for a long while despite it having been repeatedly pointed out to Matty. As far as I know it is still going on today but as I said I haven't checked lately.
    TOP 44 WANTS
    VINTAGE:Peekablue/Dragstor/Perfuma/Saurod
    NA:Crita/Darius/Nocturna/Sagitar/Sebrian/Tuskador/Kayo/Lizzor/
    Andros/Hoove/Quakke/Vizar/Butthead/Artilla/Spinwit/Staghorn
    TROLLA:DreeElle/Montork/Oracle/Gorpo
    FILMATION:Kittrina/Sunder/Masque/Dylamug/Vultak/Malektha/Twiggets/Granita
    200X:Veena/Miro/Hawke/Prahvus/EvilSeed/Illumina/Ceratus
    MISC:Lodar/Delora/Dare/MaskOfPowerDemons/LtAndra

Heroic Warrior
    The irs is a joke. I hope they collapse from inside corruption

There are a few exceptions like when you preorder SDCC exclusives for pick up tax is supposed to already be included and thus there should be no added tax BUT digital river sometimes screws this up and adds tax anyway.

I'm curious why ship your packages to two locations instead of shipping it directly to you? I'm not that familiar with the policy but is there a reason why when you ship from Michigan to Canada you can't just call the item a gift and avoid Canadian fees and taxes?
    Last edited by InspectorZartan; October 23, 2013 at 07:42pm.
    TOP 44 WANTS

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by unclassified View Post
    Damn right!

Quote Originally Posted by unclassified View Post
    Not trying to dismiss this opinion but as an FYI Sales Taxes of this sort are typically collected at the State level and don't involve the IRS.
    TOP 44 WANTS

they charge tax on the shipping fees not just the product. I played around with a second horde trooper order to see what my cheapest shipping option would be and noticed the price of "tax" changing with those adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by MsMarvel fan View Post
    they charge tax on the shipping fees not just the product. I played around with a second horde trooper order to see what my cheapest shipping option would be and noticed the price of "tax" changing with those adjustments.
    So yeah, that seems to confirm they are still doing this in Maryland and probably still in California where I know for a fact the way they invoice and ship their product they aren't supposed to charge sales tax for shipping and should only be charging it for the product.
    Last edited by InspectorZartan; October 23, 2013 at 09:28pm.
    TOP 44 WANTS

I've ALWAYS been charged sales tax on my orders with mattycollector. I live in Florida, the state requires residents to pay the sales tax from online purchases one way or another. If we don't pay it at the time of purchase, we're supposed to man up and pay it to the state on our own.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

I have been charged state tax since Man At Arms. It is 9.8% sales tax on goods AND services like postage... ouch...

I wish I could be of more help, but I really think that is why. I don't think it matters who is buying the item, but WHERE it is being delivered.
    It is all about where it is being delivered and not how, at least as far as how my company handles shipping

I always get charged sales tax with Amazon when I make a purchase, but I am assuming that is because many of their warehouse and shipping facilities are located in my state. I don't get charged sales tax from Matty or any other online retailer that I can think of off the top of my head.
    you'd be correct. an actual place of business usually means you pay taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by mister_e View Post
    I'm in Texas and I get charged sales tax by MattyCollector as well as Amazon. It's a bummer too because the rate is really high at 8.25%. Interestingly, I only get charged sales tax on items from Amazon if the item is actually sold by Amazon. If I order something from Amazon that is sold by a different seller, even if the order is "fulfilled by Amazon.com", I don't get charged sales tax.
    The days of free shipping are becoming thing of the past or at least the shipping will be rolled up into the cost of the items themselves so they can say 'free shipping' but hte cost ofgoods will be higher. You see this on ebay now since ebay charges fees on shipping now. People just say free shipping and mark the item up higher.

Target, Walmart and other major retailers are figuring out more and more they can't afford free shipping. Wal mart and Target and Amazing all just raised their minimum purchase price for free shipping because they can not afford the lower threshold.

Amazon will soon have to also collect taxes in many state, especially any state that has an amazon distro house.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

MS sales tax
    PA no sales tax

As I understand it It's really a law now that if your state has a state tax on goods that all online purchases are required by law now to charge you a state tax. I live in Massachusetts and I have been charged state tax on all my Mattycollector orders since 2010.
    Looking forward to the entire 2014 & 2015 line

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorZartan View Post
    There are a few exceptions like when you preorder SDCC exclusives for pick up tax is supposed to already be included and thus there should be no added tax BUT digital river sometimes screws this up and adds tax anyway.
    Oh, that could be what they mean by "depending on the order."

I'm curious why ship your packages to two locations instead of shipping it directly to you? I'm not that familiar with the policy but is there a reason why when you ship from Michigan to Canada you can't just call the item a gift and avoid Canadian fees and taxes?
    I have my parcels shipped to a Michigan address because it's a LOT cheaper than having them shipped to Canada. It's approximately $13 vs $30. I then have to pay a $5 handling fee and physically take them through Canada Customs myself. I don't ship them to my home address. That's like $18 shipping, in the end. However, on bigger orders where I will have to pay a customs fee (ex. Castle Grayskull), it might be cheaper to have shipped directly to my home address so I'm not paying taxes twice. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorZartan View Post
    DR screwed me on that. Totally got taxed on my SDCC preorders this year. Picked up another set at the show for a friend that couldn't make it and it was tax free.