Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Subscription Hydron ARRIVAL Thread!

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar

Subscription Hydron ARRIVAL Thread!

In the cartoon, Hydron always had his mask down so you could see his face.

The toy has no alternate head.

So pretty much, the Hydron figure is worthless. It'd be like if we got He-Man with no sword, or just a Prince Adam head.

Master of Gardening MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    CONGRATS to the 7 Lucky Winners of my
    FREE Club Etheria Sub Figure Giveaway!!!

Double Mischief = Minor
    Madame Razz = Uncle Jake
    Entrapta = SorceressSon
    October figure = SunDevil
    November figure = Ealo
    December figure = yodafreakmaster
    Light Hope SUB EXCLUSIVE = McLaughlin2778

I really like Hydron overall. He's a cool design and I've always liked him. But there's no denying the bulky armor does mess his overall look up, some. I mean, it kind of works. It just doesn't look vintage-accurate.

Hey I think I may use his calf fins for my extra Merman! Just need to paint them yellow.
    Psalm 18:32 - "It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect."

Hydron is looking awesome! The bulky armor doesn't present any problem with me at all, it suits his gear just fine. If he was done in scale with the original line, he'd probably would've been a bit bulky anyways. NA figures were too skinny for my complete liking back then. Hydron & Flogg were my favorite though, can't wait for both of them!

Wonder if MAA's head would fit nicely on Hydron? For those not too crazy about NA, perhaps making an Aquatic Armor MAA or Palace Guards would suit them best.
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!!

Heroic Warrior
    I actually really like that first picture. Haven't been thrilled about Hydron coming, but maybe this will be one of those figures that grows on me in hand (unfortunately, his compatriot Flipshot was not). Although, based on those pics, I think I will probably display him without the helmet on.

And yes, it would be nice if he came with an unmasked head. Really don't see the logic there.

Flipshot's face could be seen by lifting his visor, yet he got a second head that wasn't truly needed. Hydron who both needs and deserves a second head, didn't get one.

I don't get it...
    I just published my very first ebook: Malediction! A short story of monsters and magic!
    Buy it now on Amazon or Barnes and Noble!

Print version, also available!

There's nothing like being the leader of a group of intergalactic outer-space heroes... and wearing a wetsuit. For all that water you'll be coming across in deep space.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    There's nothing like being the leader of a group of intergalactic outer-space heroes... and wearing a wetsuit. For all that water you'll be coming across in deep space.
    "Sir!! We need you, quickly! We've run into a batch of...SPACE WATER!"

"R-really? I'll be right there!"

(Runs onto the bridge and sees the standard endless expanse of space amidst the rolling laughter of the whole freakin' crew)
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Court Magician
    Hey its scuba sam!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    Who says it can't double as a deep space suit?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    Flipshot's face could be seen by lifting his visor, yet he got a second head that wasn't truly needed. Hydron who both needs and deserves a second head, didn't get one.

I don't get it...
    Another thing with this is, couldn't they have at least made the mask removable to show his face? Stinkor had a removable gas mask and two heads. They could have done something for this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu
    Yeah, it really is a pretty wonky design. It's like Batman stashing his shark repellant Batspray on a helicopter (for those who don't get the reference, yeah, he actually did this in the 60's movie. And yeah, he actually ran into a shark while piloting his helicopter).

Fortunately for me, I never saw NA as a kid at all. To me, all these NA guys are just as new as Draegoman, Spector, and Unnamed One. I also have no problem tossing the bios in the trash, so as far as I'm concerned, Hydron is just an aquatic Heroic Warrior (which they kind of need, since Skeletor and the Horde each have a couple of aquatic villains).

Elder Councilman
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post

I don't get it...
    Hydron, like Two Bad in my opinion, was one of the casualties of fans insisting on the vintage lines and heavy hitters being wrapped up sooner than spreading it out til 2017. I remember looking at the 2014 reveals at SDCC last year, and all I could think to myself was "these look incredible all things considered; but it pains me to think how much better they could've been if fans had just let Scott stick to the original roadmap".
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

I actually like the NA figures - like, not love - and am bitterly disappointed by the lack of a second head. What an underwhelming month for MOTUC.

He does look pretty cool. And he gives Merman and Leech someone to fight against, so that's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by KingRandor82 View Post
    Hydron, like Two Bad in my opinion, was one of the casualties of fans insisting on the vintage lines and heavy hitters being wrapped up sooner than spreading it out til 2017. I remember looking at the 2014 reveals at SDCC last year, and all I could think to myself was "these look incredible all things considered; but it pains me to think how much better they could've been if fans had just let Scott stick to the original roadmap".
    If he stuck to that, we'd never make it. Subscriptions would continue to drop and Mattel would declare the line unviable.

Elder Councilman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jor-El View Post
    If he stuck to that, we'd never make it. Subscriptions would continue to drop and Mattel would declare the line unviable.

Right, so then would you rather have a non-fully equipped Hydron, or no Hydron at all?
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    I think he looks great and am looking forward to getting him next week, but I really am bummed that he didn't get a second head. He's as natural a contender for an alternate head as any.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Dinobot View Post
    Who says it can't double as a deep space suit?
    Agreed. I use that train of thought to get it passed by my original resistance towards him. And since there's no action feature what's to say that the suit didn't physically adjust to it's environments?

Just would've been nice to get an extra head.
    'Tis the wind and nothing more.....

The armor looks better in these pictures than previous ones. Glad to finally have him in my collection!
    formerly wayneepoo, now with better name!

Most Wanted (Remaining)
    Vintage MOTU: Blast Attack, Dragstor
    POP:Angella, Mermista, Peekablue
    NA:Tuskador, Quakke, Sagitar
    Filmation:Lizard Man, Dylamug, Vultak
    But in reality I want them ALL!!

I'm looking forward to him. And an extra unmasked head would have been great. Or just the breathing piece being removable (like Stinkor). BI hope

And I'm for the suit just being a Bio support suit, where it can be used underwater, on a planet with a hostile atmosphere, or in space. And I think that Hydron's feet are actually shaped like that, they aren't flippers.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I think it's a pretty cool figure...despite being a good guy. Maybe a black and silver re-deco?
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I just think he makes for a striking figure. As for everyone trying to bring reason to why the leader of a space-based force is in a scuba suit... well, I don't think I'd love MOTU as a property as much if it always tried to make logical sense!

Heroic Warrior
    I look at this figure and I don't get him, probably because I am not familiar with the NA cannon. However he gives a Mr. Freeze like bad guy vibe, so if I kept him he would be a member of the evil warriors.

I am also seeing some custom possibilities with this figure.