Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 61

Thread: The Club 200X Subscription Discussion Thread

  1. #1
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    20,112

    The Club 200X Subscription Discussion Thread

    This thread is to discuss and speculate on how well Club 200X is doing (or how badly it's failing), taking all of that conversation out of the actual tally thread.

    Discuss....

    The Blonde Teela Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn Thread

    Sagitar (Jetlag) • Horde Wraiths • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior wayne-klops's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Fishers, Indiana
    Posts
    2,543
    Based soley in comparison to the POP thread from last year and the number of subscriptions posted after the same number of days the subscription has been open, the 200x sub does seem to be pacing behind the POP sub so far. There are, of course, a lot of factors that can influence that. Only Mattel can really know how well it is doing so far. In the end, as long as we get the figures, that's all I care about .
    Here's how to end the line:
    2015 200x Mini-Sub: Evilseed, Calix, Prahvus, Horde Wraith, Miro, Veena, Hawke

    2016 line: LordMasque, Vultak, Granita, Despara, Dylamug, Hunga, General Sunder,Tuskador, Crita, Lodar, Quakke, Darius

    Quarterly items: Sagitar, Stridor, Night Stalker

  3. #3
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    20,112
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    Based soley in comparison to the POP thread from last year and the number of subscriptions posted after the same number of days the subscription has been open, the 200x sub does seem to be pacing behind the POP sub so far. There are, of course, a lot of factors that can influence that. Only Mattel can really know how well it is doing so far. In the end, as long as we get the figures, that's all I care about .
    That's pretty much the hierarchy of MOTU -- Vintage first, then POP, then 200X and lastly NA.

    The Blonde Teela Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn Thread

    Sagitar (Jetlag) • Horde Wraiths • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

  4. #4
    SoH Supporter He-Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    4,943
    I think there are a lot of people who don't post as much either and that may influence the numbers. I'm hoping it does well though. I really think they knocked the three figures we've seen so far out of the park! Im not even a big 209X design guy and I'm excited!

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior ksharpe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I think there are a lot of people who don't post as much either and that may influence the numbers. I'm hoping it does well though. I really think they knocked the three figures we've seen so far out of the park! Im not even a big 209X design guy and I'm excited!

    Exactly. I also hope they actually do the figure reveals as we go so we can get more people excited about other characters like Veena.

  6. #6
    200X iceman51880's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    central NJ
    Posts
    925
    I'm probably in the minority here, but the 200X sub is the only one that I've purchased... and I bought 2. I grew up with the original series, POP & even watched NA and had the toys. That said, 200X is still my favorite. Although this sub may or may not do as well as the others, the fan base that subscribes to this one may not be made of the same fans the subscribed to prior subs.

    I hope Matty lets us know how many subs were sold per offering so we can see a true breakdown.

  7. #7
    Widget
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1
    I've bought a few (like... two) figures from the classics line so far. Really the only ones that interested me were the ones that had something to do with 200X like Zodak, Count Marzo and Keldor. So the fact that they're doing a whole series of 200X figures has me completely elated. I can't believe how awesome it is.

    I'm very, very excited, is what I'm saying.

  8. #8
    200X iceman51880's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    central NJ
    Posts
    925
    Quote Originally Posted by benvoliothefirst View Post
    I've bought a few (like... two) figures from the classics line so far. Really the only ones that interested me were the ones that had something to do with 200X like Zodak, Count Marzo and Keldor. So the fact that they're doing a whole series of 200X figures has me completely elated. I can't believe how awesome it is.

    I'm very, very excited, is what I'm saying.
    I 'm in the same boat. Buy a sub or two if you can... $ talks and if there is a buck to be made for Mattel, they will make more 200X figs

  9. #9
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    20,112
    If fans want new characters over variants, this is a good place to start.

    The Blonde Teela Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn Thread

    Sagitar (Jetlag) • Horde Wraiths • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior Poweron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    422
    I for one will definitely be subbing for 200x. I just have to wait until after the first of the month. I've budgeted for it, but I need the actual money!

    I'm guessing that there are others in the same boat as I am, so we very well may see a bit of surge once March begins.
    Orko: It's like the Sorceress said: sometimes, the ones who seem the worst, need our help the most.
    He-Man: You're learning.

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior SpiritOfTeela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,184
    I'm wondering what the impact of showing the entire list has been.

    As a fan, I fully support it - I think it should always have been this way, totally blind except for the first few months of reveals is a LOT to ask at these price points.

    That said, I wonder if it truly helped or hindered here. I'd like to think it helps, but then again - I could see some valid arguments either way.

    For me personally, I had about 10% interest in the sub, but after the full list of reveals, I'm at about 50%. Still haven't decided, but seeing a bunch of monsters and a female figure coming up, I softened a bit. If it had been 200x variants (200x Randor, etc.) I would have dropped down to 0.

    But, I'm sure others felt the opposite as well.

  12. #12
    Heroic Hero Grayskull's Heir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Castle Grayskull
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOfTeela View Post
    I'm wondering what the impact of showing the entire list has been.

    As a fan, I fully support it - I think it should always have been this way, totally blind except for the first few months of reveals is a LOT to ask at these price points.

    That said, I wonder if it truly helped or hindered here. I'd like to think it helps, but then again - I could see some valid arguments either way.

    For me personally, I had about 10% interest in the sub, but after the full list of reveals, I'm at about 50%. Still haven't decided, but seeing a bunch of monsters and a female figure coming up, I softened a bit. If it had been 200x variants (200x Randor, etc.) I would have dropped down to 0.

    But, I'm sure others felt the opposite as well.

    I'll get two as always, but I might get them from a German reseller because I'm tired of dealing with customs etc all the time.

    I agree, revealing the whole line-up might put some people off... I think there are more people subbing in spite of King Chboola than because of him...
    Awesome sticker included!

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior EagleOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    987
    The 200x sub is very Meh for me.

    I wasn't thrilled with the Head Pack as the Exclusive. IMO they should have just been pack in pieces with the figures and give us Veena as the exclusive (since she feels like a sorceress variant). I would have preferred another figure or army builder from the series (Skeleton Warriors, Slme Pit Monsters, or Horde Wraiths).

    The character selection is just ok. I Love Callix and Evil Seed. The rest just aren't great. Ceratus and King Chew-Blah are the ones that made me do a "meh". Prahvus and Veena could be cool, but we haven't seen them yet.

    Saying that, I will be getting 2-3 subs because that is what I do to complete my collection and have options.

  14. #14
    Royal Guard Jeevesosiris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Chesterfield, UK
    Posts
    1,946
    I am of the opinion - dangerous as it might be... that the sub will go through regardless of how well it sells*, and the actual impact of this sub drive is going to be on Mattel's commitment and drive towards the number of skews in the 2016 line.

    No conspiracy theory, no proof, no evidence - just a general gut feeling from how the sub has been presented and the lack of a meter. If the sub does very badly I think it will give Mattel less confidence in pushing none vintage (therefore essentially any) product next year and if it performs well then it means we will be able to give additional proof to Mattel that MOTU is a brand that they can produce products for from a number or incarnations and achieve the results they want. Again, just one man's opinion and feeling.

    *Unless it totally and utterly bombs of course.
    The Lurkiest

    **Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior Stygian360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeevesosiris View Post
    I am of the opinion - dangerous as it might be... that the sub will go through regardless of how well it sells*,
    Using historical as well as present evidence as key performance indicators of overall health for the line; it's not only as robust as ever but Mattel is also maintaining the volume of available product year over year: (i.e., add-on subs, convention exclusives, play sets, holiday items, etc.). Supposedly 100.9% of the needed amount for the 2015 sub was 'probably not' going to get us an add-on, and yet here it is. We're also getting a Point Dread w/new Teela, hopefully the Talon Fighter as well, and a rumored Snake Mountain is on the table. Were I a betting man I'd look at the sheer volume alone and say this indicates overall line health. I'm sure the number of buyers fluctuates day of, but the overwhelming passion of the buyers left pushing each sub through cannot be discounted and is most likely significant. Or at least significant enough to keep the lights on.

    There are many factors which I'm sure indicate health to Mattel, but with so many existing bucks and reuse of those parts to leverage against costs year over year, as well as the fact that they own the IP outright, must make this line not only profitable but also more than manageable. Plus it's a property with a movie in the works and a successful comic book series, so it seems logical that it would behoove Mattel to keep the passion and interest moving through new product offerings via mattycollector. I'm not saying any of this outright guarantees the aforementioned 200x add-on, but it certainly does provide some degree of evidence in support of the theory that it will move forward regardless. Knock on wood.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior No-Ah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,152
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    Based soley in comparison to the POP thread from last year and the number of subscriptions posted after the same number of days the subscription has been open, the 200x sub does seem to be pacing behind the POP sub so far. There are, of course, a lot of factors that can influence that. Only Mattel can really know how well it is doing so far. In the end, as long as we get the figures, that's all I care about .
    Of course, the main sub was down 20% year over year, so the 200X sub starts at a significant handicap from the PoP sub. Fewer people are collecting MOTUC now.

    That said, I will be ordering 2-3 subs. (I really want 3, but I'm not sure I can squeeze it into my March budget. 4 Sideshow flex payments are also due this month.) But not until the 1st of the month. I imagine a decent number of people will wait until the first of March. Among other issues, February was a VERY expensive month for MOTUC.
    Top want list: Green Goddess 2.0, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200X Beast-Man, Horde Wraiths, Skeleton Warriors, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

    3 Club Eternia Subs, 3 Club 200X Subs

    WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM
    Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior SonOfHeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    Using historical as well as present evidence as key performance indicators of overall health for the line; it's not only as robust as ever but Mattel is also maintaining the volume of available product year over year: (i.e., add-on subs, convention exclusives, play sets, holiday items, etc.). Supposedly 100.9% of the needed amount for the 2015 sub was 'probably not' going to get us an add-on, and yet here it is. We're also getting a Point Dread w/new Teela, hopefully the Talon Fighter as well, and a rumored Snake Mountain is on the table. Were I a betting man I'd look at the sheer volume alone and say this indicates overall line health. I'm sure the number of buyers fluctuates day of, but the overwhelming passion of the buyers left pushing each sub through cannot be discounted and is most likely significant. Or at least significant enough to keep the lights on.

    There are many factors which I'm sure indicate health to Mattel, but with so many existing bucks and reuse of those parts to leverage against costs year over year, as well as the fact that they own the IP outright, must make this line not only profitable but also more than manageable. Plus it's a property with a movie in the works and a successful comic book series, so it seems logical that it would behoove Mattel to keep the passion and interest moving through new product offerings via mattycollector. I'm not saying any of this outright guarantees the aforementioned 200x add-on, but it certainly does provide some degree of evidence in support of the theory that it will move forward regardless. Knock on wood.
    I mean, the line has been selling at at least the tier 2 level for 6-7 years now? That's an amazing achievement, maybe even unprecedented. Really speaks to the strength of the core fan base. The push in SKUs these past two years feels to me as like a "let's get everything out the door as fast as possible before the line folds." Interest in the line seems high, but declining. It almost feels like a reward to be getting this much stuff after the line being successful for so many years. Maybe there's a bit more confidence from the higher ups? That's just my gut feeling.

  18. #18
    Heroic Warrior Stygian360's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,872
    Quote Originally Posted by SonOfHeMan View Post
    I mean, the line has been selling at at least the tier 2 level for 6-7 years now? That's an amazing achievement, maybe even unprecedented. Really speaks to the strength of the core fan base. The push in SKUs these past two years feels to me as like a "let's get everything out the door as fast as possible before the line folds." Interest in the line seems high, but declining. It almost feels like a reward to be getting this much stuff after the line being successful for so many years. Maybe there's a bit more confidence from the higher ups? That's just my gut feeling.
    Or perhaps the line is doing better than we've been led to believe all these years? *points to head*... Sometimes it pays to be wary.
    Harken the coming of Dragstor!!

  19. #19
    Evil Master of Mazes! Zargon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dark Hemisphere - Texas Region
    Posts
    3,431
    I'm wondering since all figures sell for the same price how they will do King Chooblah. He most likely won't be on a bigger buck. Maybe he will use Lord Dactys buck with legs and maybe Grizzlor "real" hair?
    Top Ten MOTUC wants: Sagitar, Great Black Wizard, Fang-or, Dragstor, Skeletor's Skeleton Warriors, Despara, Odiphus, Illumina w/Sleetah, Lady Slither, Tuvar & Baddrah 2-pack

  20. #20
    Heroic Warrior SonOfHeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    Or perhaps the line is doing better than we've been led to believe all these years? *points to head*... Sometimes it pays to be wary.
    I feel like we've been lead to believe the line is doing quite well - ToyGuru always seemed overall positive to me, and the subs have continued to sell at tier 2, which is amazing. Of course, some people interpret the things he says differently, so I get where you're coming from.

    I think, being a realist, overall interest in the line HAS been waning. Just anecdotally, there's not as much chatter about it on the Internet. If you go back and read through some of these old threads that get bumped, for example, there's so many people that used to post here that just don't any more.

    But, like I said, I think the core fan base is strong, and I think Mattel recognizes this too. No other brand I know of has seen this kind of success with just online sales and word of mouth. Don't get me wrong, I think the line is doing well, and we're going to continue to see product for a long time, but it's mostly due to a core fan base that's invested.

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior wayne-klops's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Fishers, Indiana
    Posts
    2,543
    Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    Or perhaps the line is doing better than we've been led to believe all these years? *points to head*... Sometimes it pays to be wary.
    I don't think so. I don't think you'd see people like yodafreakmaster and MOTU_Manic (not to mention myself) buying way more subscriptions than is sane to do if it was doing exceptional. I think the interest continues to decline. Doesn't mean it's not still strong enough to produce products and sell enough of them, but I fully believe that it's continuing to decline in interest overall.
    Here's how to end the line:
    2015 200x Mini-Sub: Evilseed, Calix, Prahvus, Horde Wraith, Miro, Veena, Hawke

    2016 line: LordMasque, Vultak, Granita, Despara, Dylamug, Hunga, General Sunder,Tuskador, Crita, Lodar, Quakke, Darius

    Quarterly items: Sagitar, Stridor, Night Stalker

  22. #22
    Heroic Warrior No-Ah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    Or perhaps the line is doing better than we've been led to believe all these years? *points to head*... Sometimes it pays to be wary.
    DOS figures are taking days to sell out, not minutes anymore. Secondary market prices for new figures are not usually out of the park.

    The only argument in favor of the line doing better than reported is the amount of product being released, but there are several theories to explain this, including them racing to get out everything they can while they can, parts creation for a retail line when the movie comes out, and our, just, making the sub goals to stay at tier 2.
    Top want list: Green Goddess 2.0, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200X Beast-Man, Horde Wraiths, Skeleton Warriors, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

    3 Club Eternia Subs, 3 Club 200X Subs

    WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM
    Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

  23. #23
    Court Magician x56h34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Posts
    66
    I'll definitely sub... just waiting for my expiring credit card to renew, as from what I understand subbing with an expiring credit card is a no, no, regarding potential headaches with DR.

  24. #24
    Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Camden, NJ
    Posts
    20,112
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    I don't think so. I don't think you'd see people like yodafreakmaster and MOTU_Manic (not to mention myself) buying way more subscriptions than is sane to do if it was doing exceptional. I think the interest continues to decline. Doesn't mean it's not still strong enough to produce products and sell enough of them, but I fully believe that it's continuing to decline in interest overall.
    TG wasn't going to tell us that it was doing so good that we don't need to buy any more subs. The line could be declining, but we'd never know by how much. The whole meter thing could have been a ploy to get more money from fans. The new guys over at Mattel don't want to do it anymore.

    The Blonde Teela Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn Thread

    Sagitar (Jetlag) • Horde Wraiths • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

  25. #25
    Heroic Hero Grayskull's Heir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Castle Grayskull
    Posts
    2,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    Or perhaps the line is doing better than we've been led to believe all these years? *points to head*... Sometimes it pays to be wary.
    Don't say that too loudly; people will come for you with pitchforks and call you a conspiracy theorist I've been saying this for a long time now and some members here have diagnosed me all kinds of illnesses for saying it.

    As you know, we have one member here who has a lot of insider information. He has hinted at lots of things over the years. He has always been right. Lately, he predicted the exact line-up for the 200x sub and said Point Dread was coming. He is highly respected here. He, too, said the line is doing well. Despite his track record, hardly anyone seems to believe this particular statement.
    Instead, people prefer to believe TG's scare tactics despite his track record of rather confusing and sometimes contradictory statements.

    In short: I think the line is not in danger of cancellation at the moment.
    Awesome sticker included!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •