Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lost MOTU Commercial with original animation!

Can't thank you enough for sharing these Awesome commercials. Never seen the Attack trak one. & I think it must've been 15-17 years sice I saw the Grayskull one! I remember there being one more with Skelly, Beastman & Merman inside greyskull.
    Last edited by 2-bad; January 17, 2010 at 10:53pm.
    My DA Page

www.TheBeastLegion.com is officially online. You can read the Manga in it's entirity there! Hope you give it a try enjoy it.

Beast Legion FaceBook Page ...Join me & help spread the word!!

I just got 2 cels which I believe are from the other early animation which is referred to as 'lost' earlier in this thread.
    They look very much like the image Jukka posted.
    Does anyone have those images of Busta toons'?

I'll try and post some pics soon.

A Defender of Grayskull coolapex's Avatar
    Awesome. I just love the way the MOTU logo comes swooshing down with that beautiful light trail. This commercial is so old and it's still so exciting to watch.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    That was really awesome! Don't know how I missed this thread the first time around. It's great to finally see this animation!

~Penny~
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

I love these.

The spear-toss to save He-Man from a trapdoor is replicated almost exactly from the DC MoTU mini-series, by the way. Dunno which one came first.

Here's one of the cels that I got which I believe are from the other "lost" footage:

I'm fairly certain that the painted background is from something else (an MOTU epsiode and not the old animation)

Quote Originally Posted by Croaker View Post
    Here's one of the cels that I got which I believe are from the other "lost" footage:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...IO1VqGLw_3.jpg

I'm fairly certain that the painted background is from something else (an MOTU epsiode and not the old animation)
    Yep, the background is from She-demon of Phantos:

**Please remove image tags when replying with a quote. Thanks!**

Thanks for the ID on the background!

Thank you for sharing

Jon Kallis is reporting that at the San Diego Comic Con the original Filmation animated toy accurate Masters of the Universe commercial is playing at the Mattel booth!

Quote Originally Posted by Busta Toons View Post
    Jon Kallis is reporting that at the San Diego Comic Con the original Filmation animated toy accurate Masters of the Universe commercial is playing at the Mattel booth!
    I forget. Why wasn't that included in the BCI DVDs?

I remember Gwen talked plenty of it in the documentaries. Was it that nobody could get a hold of a copy? Or rights issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    I forget. Why wasn't that included in the BCI DVDs?

I remember Gwen talked plenty of it in the documentaries. Was it that nobody could get a hold of a copy? Or rights issue?
    From what I recall BCI and Andy Mangels weren't able to source a copy of the commercial - I believe they spoke to all those that had worked on the show in the hope of it turning up...

...turns out Mattel had it all along!

Quote Originally Posted by Busta Toons View Post
    From what I recall BCI and Andy Mangels weren't able to source a copy of the commercial - I believe they spoke to all those that had worked on the show in the hope of it turning up...

...turns out Mattel had it all along!
    And ER still likely wouldn't have let us use it...

So which voice actors did the voices in the commercial? Did Skeletor had a deep voice?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    So which voice actors did the voices in the commercial? Did Skeletor had a deep voice?
    Hard to hear from all the background-noise, but it does sound very much like John Erwin and Linda Gary.

And James got the commercial on a separate audio-track from Jon, and has stated that Skeletor sounded like Battle Bat.

I just posted this on Facebook, but I may as well double-up here...

Listening to the audio file I'm not 100% sure that it is Erwin and Gary - If it is, their portrayal of the characters is slightly different (He-Man sounds super posh) - However, I'd say Alan Oppenheimer is indeed the voice of Man-At-Arms and Skeletor in this commercial!

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    I pretty much love this..... I can't believe that a full year after Penny's post saying she can't believe she'd never seen this before, I'm seeing it for the 1st time.......

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    And ER still likely wouldn't have let us use it...
    Could it have been a possibility for the Mike Young series DVDs, since Mattel has direct links to that series? Of course, this is also presuming that the by-now-standard paranoid precedent of smearing any of the actors faces into oblivion was also in full effect!
    1983 Forever!

I distinctively remember being glued to the tv anticipating seeing this because Entertainment Tonight was doing a feature on the toy line and they showed clips of the animation. I've wanted to see this footage in its entirety ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by JTalpur View Post
    Could it have been a possibility for the Mike Young series DVDs, since Mattel has direct links to that series? Of course, this is also presuming that the by-now-standard paranoid precedent of smearing any of the actors faces into oblivion was also in full effect!
    Nope. Mattel legal wasn't going to allow us to use any commercials unless we completely cleared everything in them. That means all the music and finding the on camera people.

We estimated each commercial was going to cost in excess of 10K to clear, so it never went farther than that.

Nope. Mattel legal wasn't going to allow us to use any commercials unless we completely cleared everything in them. That means all the music and finding the on camera people.

We estimated each commercial was going to cost in excess of 10K to clear, so it never went farther than that.
    Well music is from Filmations Flash Gordon (also reused in Blackstar) so didn't you had the rights for it? You could had simply isolated the animation bit.

A disappointingly predictable turn of affairs that has scuttled many a potential nice extra on innumerable home video releases. Oh well, at least the Mattel lawyers are justifying their pay!

In any case, thanks to Youtube most of these items are thankfully readily available for free, albeit sadly and usually in lousy quality. It's just a tremendous pity that this very nice piece of full animation (from Filmation, no less!) has remained buried away all these years.

At least it's not as bad as the Transformers DVDs from Shout, where they did have access to the original animated commercial for the comic, but specifically didn't include it due to a bizarre edict ensuring Marvel Comics weren't namechecked on any of the extra features!
    1983 Forever!

(Here is a little gem) Lost Vintage Masters of the Universe Commercial

So I ran across this on About.com and this is pretty sweet. Looks like it might be from something Mattel was doing to try and promote the line in order to get it on store shelves.

Enjoy!

It's the first TV MOTU commercial, animated by Filmation and was already posted.

First Masters of the Universe commercial ever? (pre-Filmation, animated!)

**Please read and follow forum rules on posting non-embedded YouTube links. Thanks! **

In the video's description:
    "To the best of my knowledge this was the very first He-Man and The Masters of the Universe Toy Commercial ever, it only aired once in the United States and the animation predates the Filmation cartoon series (though it might have been done by Filmation as well). Snippets of this have been found in French MOTU ads but this is the original ad showing the animation sequence in it's entirety. This was taken from the Mattel Booth at San Diego Comic Con"

Just wanted to share this for people who didn't attend SDCC. Sorry if it's already been posted. So excited to learn there was animation before Filmation!