Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Don't We Ask To Change Dare to Filmation Version?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

Why Don't We Ask To Change Dare to Filmation Version?

I have a bad feeling that it might be too late...

I'm not a Son of He-Man fan, but since MOTUC has changed hands and Toyguru isn't in charge anymore, why don't we save Dare from being a NA He-Man repaint and formally ask Mattel for him to be the Filmation version INSTEAD if we're going to get him eventually? Hopefully, it's not too late...

Discuss!

The Blonde Teela Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Horde Wraiths • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

How about we just don't get Dare at all? I honestly couldn't care less about this character. So I guess I'll take whatever they give us.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MEisterShake View Post
    How about we just don't get Dare at all? I honestly couldn't care less about this character. So I guess I'll take whatever they give us.

Great post! I couldn't agree more! Both versions have uninspiring and boring designs! I mean look the Filmation Dare, is just another ponytail He-Man. If you put a NA He-Man head, in a Classic He-Man's body, there it is, you have Filmation Dare in your hands. The only Dare figure that could be remotely interesting was a design that the great Axel Gimenez did, with Dare having short hair, instead of being another He-Man variant :

Last edited by granamyr80; Yesterday at 10:25am.

I'm sure he's already slotted into 2015 and the filmation version in the above posted pic would require some new tooling such as the chest harnes, a new head unless they reuse the galactic protector He-Man head. By doing a NA He-Man repaint it's 0 tooling dollars as it will just be a straight up repaint.

What upsets me is Scott and his pet projects like Dare. Back in 2013 he made the SDCC fans vote on Huntara or Lord Masque because both wouldn't fit into the 2014/2015 lineup and the fans at SDCC chose Huntara. She didn't even come till 2015 and had scott not put Dare into the line up we all could have had Lord Mask in 2015 also.

Honestly I'm glad he's no longer at mattel. No more BS, No more scareing people into subscribing. Mattel's answers to us are straight forward and upfront in the Q&A's, were getting the Leotard look because Brandon cares about what fans think where Scott & ruben didn't because in two years Ruben NEVER once tried to do the Leotard look and all Scott ever said was we will pass that on to design and don't get me started on SDCC Filmation Hordak.
    Looking forward to the entire 2014 & 2015 line

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    How about we just don't get Dare at all?
    I'm with you there. I haven't seen an iteration of this character that has interested me one bit. The name is also awful. Dare? Gosh. No wonder that concept got put down so many times in the past.

I don't care about Dare either, but if they gave us the character at all I'd rather have the Filmation look than Dare being repaints of now two variants.

"Homecoming" Part 1 Mini-Comic Spoilers Ahead...

Dare's civilian identity is a 200X Prince Adam repaint.
    Dare's transformed identity is a NA He-Man repaint.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; Yesterday at 10:10am.

The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Horde Wraiths • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    I'm with you there. I haven't seen an iteration of this character that has interested me one bit. The name is also awful. Dare? Gosh. No wonder that concept got put down so many times in the past.
    This! The main character is boring, repetitive and unoriginal. All the MOTU characters we know have been pushed in the background or replaced from other. And these new characters, especially those from the Filmation pitch, have horrible designs. Mattel instead of trying to invent creative ways for making MOTU relevant again, they are searching from the bottom of MOTU's barrell to find ideas, resurrecting long abbandoned concepts.

Honestly, no version of Dare/He=Ro II that I've been shown so far has looked all that great. Do I want the character to exist? Sure. Why not?
    But Dare/He-Ro II should look as different from He-Man as He-Ro does. I mean, each of these characters (He-Ro, He-Man, Dare/He-Ro II) were meant to headline their own series (whether it be toys or cartoons) so they should all look unique from one another.
    I mean, I understand that Dare is meant to be He-Man's son, so there should be some family resemblance there... but as far as the costume goes? It shouldn't be a lazy repaint/reuse of ANYTHING. Come up with something unique that'll impress people or don't make me waste my money!
    The Next 13 I Need To Have: Lord Masque, Classic Toy Costume Catra, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Granita, Bould-Or, Crita, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Major Header, Compactor, Queen Elmora (She-Demon Of Phantos)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I don't care about Dare either, but if they gave us the character at all I'd rather have the Filmation look than Dare being repaints of now two variants.

"Homecoming" Part 1 Mini-Comic Spoilers Ahead...

How can they have a 200x Adam repaint when they haven't done a 200x Adam yet to begin with?
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Karg, Andros, Monstroid, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

That said, I too believe it is far too late and that Dare is most likely coming in December 2015. I'm sure it was Scott's idea to have Dare look like a 200X Prince Adam but in different colors (seriously? We're going to get a figure of THAT and have to WAIT for the actual 200X Prince Adam figure to be released in 2016, if at all at this point?!) and for He-Ro II to look like a NA He-Man repaint. Pretty cool, huh? NOPE. A cheap way to milk more characters out of existing parts. I know this is what MOTU was born from- the reuse of bucks and parts- but for a character that is the main guy from the Son Of He-Man faction, the money should be spent to come up with something completely original.
    Imagine if She-Ra back in the day had been created using the Teela/Evil-Lyn body?! Yikes! That's pretty much what ToyGuru signed off on for the creation of Dare.
    The Next 13 I Need To Have: Lord Masque, Classic Toy Costume Catra, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Granita, Bould-Or, Crita, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Major Header, Compactor, Queen Elmora (She-Demon Of Phantos)

Heroic Peace Officer Eternian Knight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Great post! I couldn't agree more! Both versions have uninspiring and boring designs! I mean look the Filmation Dare, is just another ponytail He-Man. If you put a NA He-Man head, in a Classic He-Man's body, there it is, you have Filmation Dare in your hands. The only Dare figure that could be remotely interesting was a design that the great Axel Gimenez did, with Dare having short hair, instead of being another He-Man variant :

https://scontent-mxp.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...f4&oe=557B44EE
    Where did you find this artwork?
    Is it on the Internet?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternian Knight View Post
    Where did you find this artwork?
    Is it on the Internet?
    It's from Axel Gimenez's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/axel.gimenez.14?fref=photo

There is a lot of Axel's fantastic MOTU artwork there. It's like a MOTU's Makkah, that every fan should visit!

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    We shouldn't get Dare at all. Scott specifically said that we would not see a character like dare in the revised roadmap for 2014-2015. He specifically said Dare by name.

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...808#9101046808

So it is hard to "best case scenario" a figure that, if he does indeed arrive, represents, to me anyway, an outright lie.

Part of me would be tempted to cancel my card so that Dare will not even ship, however I gave my word to my commitment to the sub when I signed up, and call me crazy...but giving your word should mean something.

I guess IF dare came in the 200X Prince Adam outfit with an extra head so that you could make him 200X Prince Adam, that would be something I could live with. Otherwise, I can't unload this turd fast enough.

Honestly
    We were specifically told that Dare would not be in 2014-2015, see the words straight from Scott here: http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...808#9101046808

I actually prefer the Classics mini-comic version over the Filmation one which just looks like He-man with a yuppie pony tail. At least with the classics one we get a 200X looking Prince Adam body. Personally I want more NA before moving on to Dare though....

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    That said, I too believe it is far too late and that Dare is most likely coming in December 2015. I'm sure it was Scott's idea to have Dare look like a 200X Prince Adam but in different colors (seriously? We're going to get a figure of THAT and have to WAIT for the actual 200X Prince Adam figure to be released in 2016, if at all at this point?!) and for He-Ro II to look like a NA He-Man repaint. Pretty cool, huh? NOPE. A cheap way to milk more characters out of existing parts. I know this is what MOTU was born from- the reuse of bucks and parts- but for a character that is the main guy from the Son Of He-Man faction, the money should be spent to come up with something completely original.
    Imagine if She-Ra back in the day had been created using the Teela/Evil-Lyn body?! Yikes! That's pretty much what ToyGuru signed off on for the creation of Dare.
    I agree with you and the OP. Let's just hope this is not what we're getting.

I have to admit though that personally I like Lou Scheimer's take on the character and would love to see both Dare and He-Ro2 as they were presented in Lou's He-Ro pitch. And that Bird as well.
    I also want the Dare shown on the vintage POG prototype card back art (He-Ro 1's secret identity).
    I want these three characters more than the above mentioned repaints.
    I don't know why TG was so obsessed with this HRSOHM concept he claims to have found in an archive somewhere. Why would we want something we have never heard of before and have zero nostalgic connection to?

I suspect, however, that all of these characters/versions of He-Ro/Dare were slotted into the original Classics road map because TG mentioned quite often that the goal was to release as many individual characters as possible (He-Man/Oolar/Wundar/Vykron being a good example, as all of them were variants of He-Man originally and turned into new individual characters by Scott).

For the Dec 2015 figure it will be too late though to make any changes. I think Mattel is aware of this but it's just too late.
    Awesome sticker included!

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    I guess IF dare came in the 200X Prince Adam outfit with an extra head so that you could make him 200X Prince Adam, that would be something I could live with. Otherwise, I can't unload this turd fast enough.
    200X Prince Adam better be in his OWN colors, not the orange vest and Dare head that was in the mini-comic that was shown in the Pixel Dan video.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barezz View Post
    We shouldn't get Dare at all. Scott specifically said that we would not see a character like dare in the revised roadmap for 2014-2015. He specifically said Dare by name.

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...808#9101046808

So it is hard to "best case scenario" a figure that, if he does indeed arrive, represents, to me anyway, an outright lie.

Part of me would be tempted to cancel my card so that Dare will not even ship, however I gave my word to my commitment to the sub when I signed up, and call me crazy...but giving your word should mean something.

Honestly
    I had a chilling thought. What if HE-RO, SON OF HE-MAN came out in December and not Dare, just like he promised? Dare, the secret identity would come later, but the main Grayskull-powered up heroic character He-Ro might come out!
    I've found out in my past dealings with TG (as did Darkspecter and DO4M) that you have to be absurdly specific with TG.

The Blonde Teela Thread

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Why Don't We Ask To Change Dare to Filmation Version?
    Because I don't care...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I'm in the minority, but I think Dare and Skeleteen are absolute essentials for MOTUC. I think they should be the last two figures produced in the line.

I don't even mind if they are repaints, as long as they have some new parts (head sculpt, armor, etc).

I'd rather Dare be outside of the sub…and he definitely SHOULDN'T be a repaint! C'mon…there's enough parts reuse to get at least a unique head!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    why don't we save Dare from being a NA He-Man repaint and formally ask Mattel for him to be the Filmation version INSTEAD if we're going to get him eventually?
    "We"? Why do you assume your preferred version is everyone else's too? I happen to prefer the "NA He-Man repaint" version (as you call it) a thousand times over the Filmation version (which is a "barbarian He-Man repaint with a ponytail"). Of the Filmation ideas for Son of He-Man, about the only new design of theirs I do like and want is Kay-La. The reimagining of Dare based on the NA He-Man design instead of the barbarian He-Man design (and giving him his own brown hair color instead of him being made another "Aryan blond όberman") was a true win in my view.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Heroic Warrior Lazer Force Zodac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    I'm sure he's already slotted into 2015 and the filmation version in the above posted pic would require some new tooling such as the chest harnes, a new head unless they reuse the galactic protector He-Man head. By doing a NA He-Man repaint it's 0 tooling dollars as it will just be a straight up repaint.

What upsets me is Scott and his pet projects like Dare. Back in 2013 he made the SDCC fans vote on Huntara or Lord Masque because both wouldn't fit into the 2014/2015 lineup and the fans at SDCC chose Huntara. She didn't even come till 2015 and had scott not put Dare into the line up we all could have had Lord Mask in 2015 also.

Honestly I'm glad he's no longer at mattel. No more BS, No more scareing people into subscribing. Mattel's answers to us are straight forward and upfront in the Q&A's, were getting the Leotard look because Brandon cares about what fans think where Scott & ruben didn't because in two years Ruben NEVER once tried to do the Leotard look and all Scott ever said was we will pass that on to design and don't get me started on SDCC Filmation Hordak.
    i agree with you, this is also why i hate all the variants, we won't get Lord Masque now because of slots being taken up by repaints & variants.
    PoP Figures have to be based on the Vintage toys! This is NOT Filmation's Masters Of The Universe Classics MySpace Custom Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    I also want the Dare shown on the vintage POG prototype card back art (He-Ro 1's secret identity).
    That one is called Gray, not Dare (unless you assume Preternia's He-Ro is actually He-Man's [biological or adopted] son somehow sent back in time and losing his memory during the time travel).

Last edited by uaxuctum; Yesterday at 11:47am.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    "We"? Why do you assume your preferred version is everyone else's too? I happen to prefer the "NA He-Man repaint" version (as you call it) a thousand times over the Filmation version (which is a "barbarian He-Man repaint with a ponytail"). Of the Filmation ideas for Son of He-Man, about the only new design of theirs I do like and want is Kay-La. The reimagining of Dare based on the NA He-Man design instead of the barbarian He-Man design (and giving him his own brown hair color instead of him being made another "Aryan blond όberman") was a true win in my view.
    My bad. I thought most fans hated that Dare was a repaint of NA He-Man. This thread is showing me that NA repaint has it's fans too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer Force Zodac View Post
    i agree with you, this is also why i hate all the variants, we won't get Lord Masque now because of slots being taken up by repaints & variants.
    Dare is a new character to Classics. He's not a variant of an existing character like say, Captain Randor.

I think we'll get Lord Masque in 2016, now that a bunch of the 200X characters from the 2016 poll are out of the way. Mattel has to have characters to sell the new line to the fans that have been buying since 2008.

The Blonde Teela Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    It wouldn't be a 100% repaint. He should have a newly tooled head. Didn't you notice the NA-styled Dare actually has his own face (not He-Man's)? His face is less wide, more oval, less squarish, and younger looking (and he has a bigger, more prominent ponytail).

NA Dare:

Repainted NA He-Man:

Filmation Dare looks petty cool, and not a lot of new parts needed.

I'd definitely like any version of Dare over a variant of an existing character. (Filmation Teela, Despara, 200X-style whoever...)