Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would prefer NOT to complete the vintage era?

Would prefer NOT to complete the vintage era?

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I would rather Mattel didn't prioritize finishing the vintage MOTU/POP lines in favor of just getting the most demanded/interesting characters out to fans.

I realize "most demanded" is subjective, but as someone who has been here for years and read a lot of posts about vintage characters, I still have no clue who "Roton" is...or "Dragstor" either. I do know who Granita is, but I doubt she would be as appreciated as a figure of Lord Masque.

There just seems to be a bunch of cool She-Ra/NA/200X/Filmation He-Man characters that won't get made this year - or possibly at all - because Mattel wants to stick to a promise. I have nothing against that in theory but....Spinerella over Hunga the Harpy? Meteorbs over Malaktha? Little to no chance of more NA characters? It seems pretty sad to me.

When Mattel finished the JLU line, they made it a priority to get out the remaining card-carrying members of the JLU, like Gypsy and Dr. Midnite...but I don't remember that last seven pack selling all that well and people still to this day bemoan that other more prominent or interesting characters, like Granny Goodness or Luminus or Blight, were passed over in the final days of the line.

Maybe I've just never understood the 'completist' mentality...maybe Mattel just knows sticking to their word is the only way to make some of the people happy, rather than cherry picking who makes the cut.

I just think it is a shame that characters who already had toys back in the day automatically jump to the front of the line. Agree?
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; July 2, 2014 at 01:54pm.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I think alot more people are fans of the original toyline first and foremost than any of the cartoons. The line will have been seen as a success if the original toyline's figure roster was completed--this was a mentality that came from the 200X days. Fans wanted to see the old roster of toys reimagined with the 4H's redesigns, but 200X/MYP died before that could happen. Now for Classics, fans want to see the entire roster of characters in 6" scale before time is up.

I do see and understand where you are coming from. Some characters DO get a pass because they were in the vintage line, not because they were awesome characters. It's a shame that characters who actually have shown up in media are upstaged by characters who weren't for the sake of completion.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Yes, you are in the minority.

No, even if they could back-out (they can't) I wouldn't want them to.

To begin with, the "silent majority" who never comes to this site, is in it for the Vintage. All signs point to this - from the prices vintage figures fetch, to the very fact that we very well may not have had a sub this year at all if not for the promise to finish these lines.

So they are getting the most demanded characters out to fans - just not particularly the most demanded ones in the .org bubble. Big difference there.

In any case, thankfully, it's not going to change at this point - we finally will have completed the mission of MOTUC, and for once in our lives a toy line will come to a graceful finish, not a limp to the end or being cut off before it can reach a natural conclusion.

the idea that we're going to be served up yet another Hordak, only to satisfy this strange need to "complete" the original series, in the form of Buzz Saw Hordak is depressing. we don't have huge swaths of the original toy line (the vehicles and playsets were integral in my love of the brand) so i don't see why we slavishly must move forward.

I totally get where you are coming from and when you look at my signature…since i created it, not much has changed except Glimmer, Double Trouble, Mara and Entrapta are here but some of my most wanted are still on this very list…

I never got why Ninjor is needed since we had Jitsu already and he is just a ninja with demon feet…but we got so many characters who had no figure ever i think itīs only fair that the vintage lines do get finished since this is a line based on nostalgia and those characters are there for more than 25 years or so.

I think characters like Rotar, who is a war veteran who lost his legs but still is willing to fight for a good cause should be explored more and used more often and iīm not even a Rotar fan. I came to appreciate him and eventually will love him once he is made in a MOTUC figure.

Every character deserves a figure but we canīt have everything at once…
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Quote Originally Posted by guardianmonkey View Post
    the idea that we're going to be served up yet another Hordak, only to satisfy this strange need to "complete" the original series, in the form of Buzz Saw Hordak is depressing. we don't have huge swaths of the original toy line (the vehicles and playsets were integral in my love of the brand) so i don't see why we slavishly must move forward.
    I kind of agree with this. I am baffled as to why Mattel wants to include these variant figures in lieu of vintage playsets, beasts, and vehicles. By their same logic, all the PoP variants should be made too...Shower Power Catra, Starburst She-Ra, etc.

It would be easier to just release parts (armor and accessories) so you can display your main He-Man/Skeletor/Hordak as the variant.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I kind of agree in some ways with DisneyBoy and in others with SpiritOfTeela.

Though I don't necessarily agree on all of the exact characters mentioned, I do to an extent agree with DisneyBoy's sentiment in that some of the more high-profile, "important" characters from other media would make for better "final year of MOTUC" fodder than some of the tail-end vintage MOTU characters. Most of those never even appeared in a cartoon and came out after the MOTU cartoon had finished and sales were dropping.

How many fans actually had, let alone specifically care about Rotar and Twistoid, for example (not to pick on them specifically, just using them as examples)? I could be totally wrong on this, but are they really THAT important of characters to most fans? Despite the fact that they were part of the vintage toy line, they pretty much at best are C-minus or D list characters IMO.

That said, I certainly don't think those spots should go to further NA characters. Outside of the NA versions of He-Man and Skeletor, even the "top" most well known "A-list" NA characters (A list when ranking NA in and of itself) are pretty much, at best, the equivalent of a C-list vintage MOTU/Filmation characters, with anyone else falling well below that.

But that being said, this at least does give us a definitive end to MOTUC. The line is winding down regardless. And outside of very obvious, regular occurring characters like Shadow Weaver, Scorpia, Madam Razz, etc., we do get into "hair splitting" territory when trying to rationalize one character who only appeared once or twice being more important than another with the same number of appearances. Some episodes and appearances do generally stand out more than others, but importance will still vary and be subjective.

My hope is that if we get an add-on sub next year, rather than even being specific to 200X, Filmation, or anything like that, they just make it a sub of characters from other media who never previously had figures. This could give us a nice mix of Filmation, 200X, mini-comic characters, etc.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    The issue is the subjectivity of "fan demand". At this point, there are no consensus figures left. If they claimed to be putting out "nothing but the most fan-demanded characters", they'd be setting themselves up to infuriate someone.

By setting the goal for "all of vintage" (PoP and NA "heavy hitters" aside), they have an indisputable benchmark to aim for. There isn't any question as to which figures were released in the vintage era. No subjectivity. If they get those characters-variants and all-out, they can tout it as a success.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Heroic Warrior
    I'm not a fan of most of the back end of the vintage line, which is why i ditched MOTU in favor for GI Joe back in the 80's. That said, I understand TG's promise to vintage fans, plus, it has always been my policy to support every fans favorite faction. Would I rather have a new character versus more vintage variants, YES, but I look at it this way, I disliked all NA, 200x, and POP gals, but the 4H have done amazing jobs with these figures and now I love them all. I disliked the idea of Rio Blast, but again, thanks to the 4H, he's a instant home run. So I'm very curious to see how Dragstor and Blast Attack and others will turn out. Let's finish this line in style...and I'm willing to bet after knocking the 2015 sub numbers out of the ballpark, we will get MOTU in 2016 and finally get some those never before released characters. And who knows, maybe some of the vintage fans will want more and remember all the other fans that helped them complete their vintage collections and they might return the favor.
    My tribute to MOTUC video using still photos of MOTUC figures with filmation music : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ibute-to-MOTUC

Heroic Warrior
    They really should devote 2016 to the Top 20 poll they ran on the org a few months back. It would please both parties I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Romadon View Post
    I'm not a fan of most of the back end of the vintage line, which is why i ditched MOTU in favor for GI Joe back in the 80's.
    I did the same thing. I started getting into GI Joe in 1986 I think, more so in 1987
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

While vintage is my favorite era, I could certainly live without many of the lesser figures. I don't care at all about getting Rotar & Twistoid, the Meteorbs, the movie characters, or any further He-man/Skeletor variants.

Besides what is announced, my personal dream lineup to complete the line would simply be:

Ninjor
    Tung Lashor
    Squeeze
    Mulit-bot
    Dragstor
    Blast Attack
    Angella
    Lizard Man
    Tuskador

My only thing is I don't think Variants should be part of the completion quest. when Iw as a kid I got EXCITED when the variants came out,, loved to see the new gimmick etc, but outside of Buzz Saw Hordak, my standard guys were always the originals. *Buzz saw because he looked exactly the same but with that sweet action feature)

that said I don't really WANT a buzz saw variant. I'd much rather get some unique character over variants. ESP since this line the variants don't have action features.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I would rather Mattel didn't prioritize finishing the vintage MOTU/POP lines in favor of just getting the most demanded/interesting characters out to fans.

I realize "most demanded" is subjective, but as someone who has been here for years and read a lot of posts about vintage characters, I still have no clue who "Roton" is...or "Dragstor" either. I do know who Granita is, but I doubt she would be as appreciated as a figure of Lord Masque.

There just seems to be a bunch of cool She-Ra/NA/200X/Filmation He-Man characters that won't get made this year - or possibly at all - because Mattel wants to stick to a promise. I have nothing against that in theory but....Spinerella over Hunga the Harpy? Meteorbs over Malaktha? Little to no chance of more NA characters? It seems pretty sad to me.

When Mattel finished the JLU line, they made it a priority to get out the remaining card-carrying members of the JLU, like Gypsy and Dr. Midnite...but I don't remember that last seven pack selling all that well and people still to this day bemoan that other more prominent or interesting characters, like Granny Goodness or Luminus or Blight, were passed over in the final days of the line.

Maybe I've just never understood the 'completist' mentality...maybe Mattel just knows sticking to their word is the only way to make some of the people happy, rather than cherry picking who makes the cut.

I just think it is a shame that characters who already had toys back in the day automatically jump to the front of the line. Agree?
    It's a difficult question. In the end I believe it comes down to what the majority wants. 2015 actually looks kind of dull to me, when compared to 2014, but Vintage MOTU is the most popular part of MOTUC and they said they would complete them by the end of 2015.

Now that we know that Matty is selling roughly 6500 subs a year (plus DOS and CSS) we have more reason to expect the line to continue beyond 2015. I have hopes that a rebranded 2016 might be more interesting.
    Top want list: Evil Seed, Snake Mountain Man, Mask of Power Demons, Dree-Elle, Uncle Montork, Mini-Comics Beast-Man, 200x Beast-Man, Teela 2.0, Battle-Ram, Snake Mountain, & a hardcover collection of all the mini-comics.

Co-moderator at the Mike Mignola Appreciation Station on Facebook.

Serious bidness Ibentmyman-thing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...2Fwiki%2FRoton

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...iki%2FDragstor

http://old.he-man.org/primary_sects/.../00cover.shtml

Heroic Podcaster
    In defense of Rotar (and Twistoid) we have NEVER gotten toys of them like the ones the 4H will deliver. Removable lower torsos and legs, articulated elbows and necks, and they will FIT in with the other classics figures, unlike the vintage which stood out from the MOTU figures like sore thumbs.

Most of you have said this but the majority of fans, including the afore-mentioned silent majority that never come to this site, want their childhood collection recreated with today's tech and sculpts. The remaining vintage - Ninjor, Blast Attak, etc - must be 4H-ed for this to happen.

There would never have been ANYTHING after vintage if not for the original line's huge success so that line gets finished. I do really hope MOTUC continues on afterwards however. I love vintage but I've loved PoP, NA, mini-comics, FILMation and everything else as well!
    QUEEN ANGELLA! BLAST ATTAK! Buzzsaw Hordak Dragstor Flying Fists He-Man GWILDOR!
    Lazer Light He-Man Lazer Light Skeletor MERMISTA! MULTI-BOT! NINJOR! Peekablue Perfuma
    Rotar Saurod SPINNERELLA! SSSQUEEZE! Terror Claws Skeletor TUNG LASHOR! Twistoid

This is tough for me because, while a LOT of characters that I want in plastic are not of the "vintage figure" era, some of them are. When you split hairs like that, it just comes down to personal preference.

I do think it is an important milestone to hit, though. There is a sense of accomplishment with that, and even though I love so many obscure characters and incarnations, I think it is important for this line to get them all made. There would always be an asterisk or a caveat about Classics if say, the aforementioned Dragstor was never made. Plus, as many have said, the vintage crowd is the biggest "group" that people identify with, so it just makes sense.

I really hope there is still stuff to be done in 2016. I will hold on to that until they flat out say there will not be any product, so we will see. In the meantime, 2015 will bring me a lot figures I am looking forward to, and will, like every year, surprise me with some that I was not previously excited about.
    Support GENERAL SUNDER in MOTUC!

Bring on 2016: General Sunder, Evilseed (Filmation), Karg, General Tataran, King Miro, King Ahgo, Zilora, Melaktha, Hawke, Vultak, Ileena, Lizorr, Dylamug, Enchantress, Lord Masque, Colonel Blast, Kol-Darr, Snowflake, Uncle Montork, Dree-Elle and The Twiggets.

Twitter
    Fwoosh Facebook
    Facebook

Heroic Warrior
    I'm a huge vintage person and am one of those who thinks vintage motu and filmation pop should take priority and be completed before anything else However meteorbs and the variants like buzz saw and hurricane Hordak, flying fists he man and terror claws skeletor really should be dumped and filmation characters like hunga, lord masque, Dylamug, sunder should take priority. And if just have to do variants I'd much rather have toy catra filmation trap jaw or evil lyn or teela

When it comes to best sellers vintage comes first then filmation then pop. So I would focus on those three
    Last edited by degra; July 2, 2014 at 05:28pm.

I would much prefer all new characters from the mini comics and SOH figures than finishing the vintage figures.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

I'm down for all the unique vintage characters getting made. I don't care about the remaining vintage variants. If anything, they could release accessory packs to cover them. I'd much rather have the missing NA figures or key Filmation/200X/Minicomic characters.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
    In defense of Rotar (and Twistoid) we have NEVER gotten toys of them like the ones the 4H will deliver. Removable lower torsos and legs, articulated elbows and necks, and they will FIT in with the other classics figures, unlike the vintage which stood out from the MOTU figures like sore thumbs.
    Has it ever been confirmed that they will have legs, though? All I've seen thus far is speculation that they possibly *could*, but nothing definitive as of yet.

**Nevermind, I see the message in its entirety now. My phone is absolutely horrible when it comes to browsing and typing.**

Originall from Milwaukee, WI. Just moved to St. Pete, FL
    My biggest gripe is the spinning top toys. I see those as an add-on thing, like the meteorbs. Both the meteorbs and spinning top dudes where late additions to the brand, and were little more than gimmicks. It would seem that the meteorbs are pretty much abandoned at this point, but I just don't want to be forced to spend money on the spinning tops with arms and heads, particularly since they will likely be more expensive than real figures. I just don't see how those are even classified as vintage figures. They were gimmicks. I would GLADLY pass those up in favor of NA/FILMation characters (looking at you, Lord Mask!). I'm still on the fence with subbing this year because of those two and all the remaining variants. Half the sub this year is filled with figures I just don't want.

I don't mind Vintage being finished up nor look down on fans who want it to be complete. Personally, I just wish there was a better way to mix in all eras over the years so there wasn't a bunch of vintage variants in 2015. It feels like spin/smash blade all over again.

I understand people don't want a lot of the figures coming out next year because it's all vintage but really people,how many threads are we going to have decrying vintage characters and wanting others in its place. It isn't going to help anything posting threads or comments wanting something different since its already a done deal that we are getting all the vintage figures next year,end of discussion,period,stick a fork in it,the fat lady is warming up ,so get over it already. I don't mean to sound like a jerk but we know what's coming and nothing is going to change that unless the sub doesn't go through. I hope someday everyone gets the figures they want but can we please stop beating a dead horse. That's all the idioms I'm going to use today ...promise.

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    Most people remember the original toys, sure, but not ALL of them. Most collectors found out about the Zoids once they had everything before them. Same goes for the laser figures. Filmation and PoP were out before all this stuff popped up, and most people had moved on.

Series 6 was a pretty sweet set. Two of the figures were major Filmation characters though, and the rest were just repaints (or straight up remakes like Faker II). But still, that was going out on a high note. Nijor included, nothing wrong with a ninja.

Getting Buzz Saw Hordak, however, is much like getting Faker II. Same figure, only it says "he's back" on the card and he gets his face paint super shined.

The Zoids are almost like the foreign releases. If they do a good job with these figures, it could be amazing, maybe even help us appreciate the vintage figures even more. But, if they look like they do now, only updated with MOTUC's sculpting and articulation, they will be just as dumb.

The toys started it all, but we're now talking about the toys that ended it all. If you're looking for something that killed the original line, look to Meteorbs and Zoids. They helped MOTU loose whatever identity it had, and it was already crazy.

I constantly forget how many PoP figure there were. I guess they always just looked the same. I get re-surprised every time a figure gets announced. I've seen all the NA figures, but that was only recently (after the 90s), so I can see why people are confused about what's going on. I feel like the cartoons are more representative of these factions that the toys could ever be.

So yeah, the toys started it all, but the toons carried it further than they could go on their own.

I'm trying to think of this crazy kid that only collected MOTU toys for 6+ years. One that actually had every figure they released and didn't care about the cartoons at all. I seriously doubt that kid existed.

I can easily picture a kid that ran around in the backyard acting out the show he just watched, and asked his mom to take him to the store for this super sweet character, only to find out they don't have Dylamug, but they do have this super cool bear that turns into a... meteor... I guess? Yeah, that kid didn't bother buying a MOTU figure. He probably picked up a dinobot because it freakin' transformed into a robot instead of an egg, and had sweet translucent and chrome parts instead of a single overspray. That, and he saw it every other day on TV.

I like the toys better than the toon personally, but that stops at series 6. And even then, I can't protest enough about Rio Blast.
    Pop Culture Shock - Filmation Statues (top 5 most wanted): Sorceress, Skeletor, Man-E-Faces, Mer-Man and Two-Bad! AND, hurry up with Evil Lynn, her reveal is what got me started.