Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Oo-Larr Video Review by Pixel Dan

MOTUC Oo-Larr Video Review by Pixel Dan

Dan's back with a new review! This time he takes a look at the upcoming Oo-Larr from MattyCollector. Check it out!

Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    And here's hoping for the return of Power-Con!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Thanks for showing us what the heads look like on the various He-variants, Dan! I suspect Oo-Larr will be a hot seller!

As for that mini-comic...

HOLY CRAP!@!!!!!

SPOILERS from what I can make out from the mini-comic!

Dare is 200X Prince Adam recolored!!!!! I don't care for Dare, but I DO want a 200X Adam!

He-Man and Teela secretly married and while he was away in NA, Teela had a child and he grew into a teenager? He-Man and Teela were off on New Adventures along time...

Grayskull EXPLODES!!!!

Illumina shows up in issue #2?!! And King Hsss returns?!

Who is that guy on the last page? He looks familiar...

Little Kid Teela! She was in a MYP Flashback!
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; February 26, 2015 at 11:03am.

The Blonde Teela Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Horde Wraiths • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Another great review Dan! Thank you so much!
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

Thanks for the review. I love the vintage He-Man head.

Thanks, Dan.

Also, a super thanks for flipping through the new mini-comic! I don't mind the spoilers - and I'll be just as excited to read it when I get it. Can't wait!

That vintage head makes me wish that I could have bought as many subs as there are He-Man variants. I want that head on all of them!
    Orko: It's like the Sorceress said: sometimes, the ones who seem the worst, need our help the most.
    He-Man: You're learning.

Great video, thanks PD!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Who is that guy on the last page? He looks familiar...

I'm pretty sure that's Scrollos from the UK comics!

I also spotted a Skelcon from the Ladybird books (with wings?!).
    Last edited by RocketPunch; February 26, 2015 at 12:42pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Awesome review. Thanks Dan! Man I love that vintage He-Man head. I'm gonna have to go to Matty and get another regular He-Man now.

Fantastic review!! Totally agree on all points! And that new vintage inspired He-Man head...just wow! I really wish this were the head he came with all along!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

omg, that vintage head!?!?! - NOW, it is He-Man as we last saw him, when we were children. So loving it.

Thanks Mattel for making and thanks Dan for showing it

I find it pretty interesting that the Skeletor pictured on the back of Oo-Larr's card is Dragon Blaster Skeletor wearing the orignal Skeletor's armor.

Loves MOTUC canon! PaTrIcKfOgArTy's Avatar
    Thank you Dan - this review has made it real for me, I can't believe we're finally getting this figure. This character / figure has been one of my most wanted since the line started. I couldn't be more excited!!! Right behind my want for this figure in has been a longstanding wish for a vintage toy head. The fact that we get both - AND - a mini comic (since I LOVE the MOTUC canon) has me counting the days and feeling beside myself. CANNOT WAIT!!!

Great review as always! Thanks Dan!

Now with all the praise for the vintage head, what I don't understand is why never got that head with He-Man in the first place. The line was supposed to give us updates of the original toys, and while most head sculpts from the very beginning on looked exactly like the vintage counterparts, only slightly updated and with more details, He-Man didn't look like himslef. I really don't understand why the Horsemen didn't sculpt a proper vintage head from the beginning on.
    I love the 4H and their work, but this is a decision I'll never understand.
    Awesome sticker included!

Great review Dan and I too am in love with that head!
    The Lurkiest

**Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

Like the head but hate the figure.I have been dreading this figure since I first saw him and now he has finally arrived.He will be going in the spare parts bin along with Madam Razz and Sweet Bee.

Thanks for another great review, Dan!

MOST WANTED:
    Ice Armor He-Man, Sagitar, Fang-Or, Major Header, Granita, Great Black Wizard, Despara, Quakke, Master Sebrian, NA Prince Adam, Tuvar, Bahdrah, Illumina, Crita, Dylamug, 200X Prince Adam, Songster, Filmation Evil Seed & Marzo, Stridor, Night Stalker, & Snake Mountain.

*My iTrader Feedback
    *My MOTU_Maniac Feedback Thread

I'll admit I'm not excited at all for Oo-Larr. He's just so plain and boring and the fact he doesn't fit in my canon makes the figure obsolete.

The vintage-toy-inspired head was a nice choice for an accessory but I'll be in the minority and say I don't like it. I just prefer the original He-man Classics head.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Thanks for showing us what the heads look like on the various He-variants, Dan! I suspect Oo-Larr will be a hot seller!

As for that mini-comic...

HOLY CRAP!@!!!!!

SPOILERS from what I can make out from the mini-comic!
    I saw:

Son Of He-Man concept characters : Kayla, Air Bag, Fork Lift, and the rest.

Also in the splash page at the end there's Jitsu and Mega-Beast.
    Last edited by Bonehead; February 26, 2015 at 05:52pm.

Do we get the Grayskull Blueprints still?

I saw Despara inside and it looks like...

She removes her helmet and kills Skeletor and on the next to last page She-Ra is standing next to King He-Man. Guess once her armor was off horde primes control is over. Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoar1170 View Post
    I saw Despara inside and it looks like...
    Yeah...

So after decades of being under the control of a helmet that it seems turns out to be Horde Prime's dead face, He-Man spars with her and chats for a few moments, and she just slips the helmet off and becomes She-Ra again? After beheading Skeletor, though his body sends to still be stumbling around...an attempt to destroy what Despara helped create? I hope there is something I can't see in the dialogue that will give more depth to this situation, because if that's all it took to change her back AFTER A DECADE of being Despara...that's pretty weak. Though...interesting to see the helmet retained Prime's essence and he becomes a floating head within that Crystal. Isn't that a reference to the UK Horde Prime origin? Or, was it Emiliano's Nordor story I'm recalling? I'm not sure.

Back to the figure...I didn't care about this figure OR the vintage head, but after seeing this video, I might be reconsidering not using the head. It does look pretty awesome. I have a thing about needing all of the various He-Man figures' faces to match (I mean, it's supposed to be the same guy!), but I'm thinking now that it could be close enough that I won't have a problem with it, AND have a figure that more closely resembles my childhood one. Decisions, decisions...
    Come on Matty! Show me DRAGSTOR!!!

WHERE'S CRITA???? C'MON MATTY! DO THE RIGHT THING!

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Oo-Larr looks cool. Even though he's just "naked-er" He-Man, I think he turned out really cool. His spear is awesome and has great attention to detail. It really looks like Oo-Larr grabbed rocks, smashed the head of the spear into a sharp tool and attached it onto the stick he got from a tree. Really cool.

One EXTREMELY awesome thing about the new vintage head: When we got NA He-Man and King He-Man (who's heads look really cool, in my opinion), there were a bunch of people upset because those heads didn't look like the "young" He-Man head we currently have. This new, vintage head looks like he is the same guy as the rest. He got longer hair in his NA ("college") years, cut it short when fighting the snakes and bearded up when he took rule over the kingdom. They all look like the same guy now and I love that. <3

MGM!!!

Lots of stuff going on in that mini-comic! Trying not to super spoil myself, though. I'm sad to see Dare is another character repaint. Ugh. Last mini-comic he was a repaint of NA He-Man, now he's a repaint of 200X Prince Adam. Dare was basically Oo-larr and He-Ro II looked really awesome. No NA He-Man repaint. They're getting rid of original looks in favour of repaints. Me no likey.

SO excited to see Kay-La, Skelcons and Scrollos in there.

But....what is this about Illumina in issue #2?!?! Please elaborate so I can stop freaking out...or freak out more in a good way.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    Great review as always! Thanks Dan!

Now with all the praise for the vintage head, what I don't understand is why never got that head with He-Man in the first place. The line was supposed to give us updates of the original toys, and while most head sculpts from the very beginning on looked exactly like the vintage counterparts, only slightly updated and with more details, He-Man didn't look like himslef. I really don't understand why the Horsemen didn't sculpt a proper vintage head from the beginning on.
    I love the 4H and their work, but this is a decision I'll never understand.
    I think they wanted to try and make him look younger. Vintage He-Man is a grizzled looking dude. The media that followed did not really reflect that, so I think they wanted to de-age him. This head should have come with him from the get go, but I'm glad to get it now.

All my He-Man are going to have different heads, and it's going to be awesome!

He-Man - vintage head
    Battle Armor - classics head
    King Grayskull - 200x head
    Snake Armor - King Grayskull head

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    One EXTREMELY awesome thing about the new vintage head: When we got NA He-Man and King He-Man (who's heads look really cool, in my opinion), there were a bunch of people upset because those heads didn't look like the "young" He-Man head we currently have. This new, vintage head looks like he is the same guy as the rest. He got longer hair in his NA ("college") years, cut it short when fighting the snakes and bearded up when he took rule over the kingdom. They all look like the same guy now and I love that.
    Saying his "college" years makes me picture the NA opening with Saved By The Bell theme music!

And I'm pretty sure most of the reason that people didn't like the King He-Man head was that it completely reshaped He-Man's head. It doesn't look like the classics head with longer hair and a beard, it's shaped like he has a completely different jawline under that beard. As for NA-He-man, I'm disappointed in his head because it was clearly warped in the mold from what the original prototype had. The head originally looked just like He-Man with a different hair style, but ended up all warped and weird looking nothing like the original. It's the reason why that's the only version of He-Man in Classics that I don't have.

Great report and video! Glad to see you back in action, Pixel Dan!

I too will be happily swapping my sinus/ allergic reaction He-Man for his "true" head.

Off topic:
    How easy has it been to get samples from Mattel w the new guys in place?
    Are you established as a veteran reviewer with the brand managers?
    Fantastical!

Trying this again...Spoiler tags are giving me a hard time for some reason...

About the mention of

Illumina...I'm wondering...It says she is going to strike, implying she is evil or dangerous OR out for revenge. In the last mini, Skeletor called out for his mother, and we were told it was intentional and would be addressed. We only have two more comics before the end of Classics. Anyone think Scott might have made her Keldor's mother?
    Come on Matty! Show me DRAGSTOR!!!

WHERE'S CRITA???? C'MON MATTY! DO THE RIGHT THING!