Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Skeletors Robot Soldiers / Robot Knights

Heroic Warrior

Skeletors Robot Soldiers / Robot Knights

I think this is a necessary mold for the new line. I mean necessary and long over-due; so much I would go out on a limb and say within the next year. I would buy dozens of these and I know alot of others would too and this could be the first mold that non moc collectors buy more than one of. What do you guys think? Ive seen customs that were awesome, but never ones that were the right scale with the other figures. It should be a little bigger than ORCO.
    Wants / Feedback
    SDCC 2008 King Greyskull / Bronze(Spirit) variant
    Zodak x2, Mossman (both variants)
    Keldor x1, Gygor x2
    Wun-Dar / Map of Eternia
    Weapon Packs & Castle Grayskull Figure Stands
    TRU MOTU/DC 2 packs
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ight=Novacaine

I'm assuming you mean the ones in the Filmation cartoon right? Which would sadly make them unavailable to be made at present.

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar
    Hover robots would be cool. I would rather have black robots for Skeletor though like in the movie. They could even just be black Horde Troopers with skull crests and I would be happy!
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." --- Man-At-Arms

www.hemanworld.com

Eternian Historian of Art Lex_Alfa's Avatar
    the Darth Vader one's XD
    Behold the gaseous stench of Skeletor's breakfast burrito!
    Robot Chicken dixit

I was never a fan of these robots in the cartoon, or those soldiers in the movie. I thought they took away from the other unique characters. So it's really not important to me that they ever be made.

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    I've said it many times before, but I'd LOVE to have Skeletor's Evil Robots from the Filmation series.

I'd like the skeleton/armor knights from the 200X comic. I thought thet were cool.
    Teela the Warrior Goddess is my homegirl.

While I would love for Mattel to offer these and would gladly buy up at least four of any generic soldier/guard/whathaveyou that they make, I won't lose sleep if they don't get to these types of characters too soon, or even, maybe, at all. There are so many great individual characters that, barring Horde Troopers (as they actually had toys previously), I can wait for others.

That said, I won't pass up a chance to own Eternian Guards, Robot Knights, Slime Pit Creatures, Skeleton Warriors, or any other army builders. I just don't stay awake at night coveting them. Yet.

(After Stinkor, Mekanek, The Sorceress, and Rammy are made-and that's just today's "Must Haves"-(they change constantly)-then, I'll start to dream in armies...
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Way to Go Club Etheria!

Golems for 2016! AdultCollector's Avatar

Skeletor's Robot Guard 2-pack anyone?

This is my #1 wanted MOTUC release. I imagine the Robot Guard as a 2-pack, with one of them offered as a "battle damage" variant. It would also be nice to easily remove the robots' arms, legs and head, with of course a plastic piece on the bottom to make it look like they're floating. If the robots are fairly small perhaps they could be offered in a 3-pack or even 4-pack? They wouldn't even need accessories.

What a better way to follow the 2-pack Palace Guards?

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    Mattel doesn't have rights to Filmation. They're off-limits.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Hover Robots 2) Sssqueeze 3) Tung Lashor 4) Stridor 5) Night Stalker 6) Lizard Man 7) Battle Ram (back half) 8) Roton 9) Multi-Bot 10) Ninjor 11) Dragstor 13) Blast-Attak 14) Saurod 15) Gwildor 16) Snake Mountain 17) TC Skeletor 18) FF He-Man 19) Karg

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    http://www.infinitehollywood.com/201...-mattel-q.html
    Q: Since they originated in the Filmation cartoon, are the Skeletor Robot Knights off limits? If so, have you guys thought about making a similar robot with a similar purpose for army building? Flying robots would make great drones for Skeletor and they wouldn't necessarily have to be beholden to the Filmation design.

A: Correct. The Robot Knights are not available as they originated in the Filmation series, which we do not have current rights to.

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...5/m/8891087846
    I'm not sure if this has been asked before or not, but does Mattel have any shot at making Skeletors Robot Knights or are they off limits under filmation?

TG: We will not be offering characters created by Filmation in the MOTUC line at this time.

Golems for 2016! AdultCollector's Avatar
    Does this mean Horde Troopers are not on the table either?

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    http://www.infinitehollywood.com/201...-mattel-q.html
    Q: Since they originated in the Filmation cartoon, are the Skeletor Robot Knights off limits? If so, have you guys thought about making a similar robot with a similar purpose for army building? Flying robots would make great drones for Skeletor and they wouldn't necessarily have to be beholden to the Filmation design.
    A: Correct. The Robot Knights are not available as they originated in the Filmation series, which we do not have current rights to.

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...5/m/8891087846
    I'm not sure if this has been asked before or not, but does Mattel have any shot at making Skeletors Robot Knights or are they off limits under filmation?
    TG: We will not be offering characters created by Filmation in the MOTUC line at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    Noooo.....there were toys made of the Horde Troopers in the 80's line.

Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    Yes and no. They can do anything that:
    (1) was created by Mattel or DC before the Filmation series used it;
    (2) has been made as a toy at any point or
    (3) which was redesigned for the 2002 Mike Young Productions (MYP) cartoon

HOWEVER, if the Filmation design is substantially different from any of the above, they can't use the Filmation designs, only the alternate design (this is most obvious with Count Marzo, whose MotUC toy was based on a MYP design which bears no resemblance to his Filmation design).

The Horde Troopers were made as a toy and redesigned for the MYP series, so they can do them, but neither design is quite Filmation-accurate (the toy's not far off, but the helmet's sunk lower, the Horde symbol is different, there are added tech-greebles, and the pelvis is structurally very different).
    Last edited by Reboot; October 21, 2010 at 06:23pm.

It is well passed time for Mattel to acquire those Filmation rights!

Bring on Skeletor's Robot Knights.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

No, I don't want these guys.

Giving Skeletor armies of footsoldiers takes away from what makes him special among the villains of the MOTU verse. He should be a leader of a small band of ne'er-do-wells and outcasts, not a guy commanding a huge army. It fit in the movie because by then, Skeletor had already won. But nt in the regular series.

Second, I vastly prefer is Skeletor relies on sorcery rather than technology, so an army of -robots- just paints him as a second Hordak.

Just my two cents.

If anything, I could see some faceless "soldier" or mystical constructs for Skelly, but not robots.

Besides, the Filmation robots evolved into the Horde Troopers which are much much cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    No, I don't want these guys.

Giving Skeletor armies of footsoldiers takes away from what makes him special among the villains of the MOTU verse. He should be a leader of a small band of ne'er-do-wells and outcasts, not a guy commanding a huge army. It fit in the movie because by then, Skeletor had already won. But nt in the regular series.

Second, I vastly prefer is Skeletor relies on sorcery rather than technology, so an army of -robots- just paints him as a second Hordak.

Just my two cents.

If anything, I could see some faceless "soldier" or mystical constructs for Skelly, but not robots.

Besides, the Filmation robots evolved into the Horde Troopers which are much much cooler.
    But the Robot Knights can fly! And their hands turn into buzz-saws! Flying is way cooler than falling over themselves in a heap all the time.

I think the Robot Knights are an area where the apprentice improved on the master's design!

On the sorcery vs technology front I submit: Faker, Roton, Twistoid, Night Stalker, Spydor, Land Shark, Fright Fighter, Collector, Terrordactyl and Sea Squid.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    HOWEVER, if the Filmation design is substantially different from any of the above, they can't use the Filmation designs, only the alternate design
    I am wondering about this, myself. The She-Ra toy and cartoon model look nothing alike yet Mattel made Filmation She-Ra, as well as Adora and Bow. I also suspect that any other POP stuff will be closer to the cartoon since many of the toy and show designs were different by a good margin.
    I would sooner gouge my eyes out with a heated spoon than watch Jem. I consider it to be a terrible cartoon. There. I said it.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    But the Robot Knights can fly! And their hands turn into buzz-saws! Flying is way cooler than falling over themselves in a heap all the time.
    I prefer the humanoid robots to some flying dustbusters, thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    On the sorcery vs technology front I submit: Faker, Roton, Twistoid, Night Stalker, Spydor, Land Shark, Fright Fighter, Collector, Terrordactyl and Sea Squid.
    I could take the robot knights if they were Trap-Jaw's or Tri-Klops' (if you prefer 200X) robot knights, as I see them as the people who create all those mechanical devices. But I can live without them.

Mostly it's that I don't want Skeletor to always have control of an army, since he is essentially a renegade. Hordak is a ruler, he needs an army to control. But if Skeletor has an army that means that either:

A: The army is useless (as the robots of course were in Filmation) in which case there's no point for him to keep them.

or

B: He just hasn't gotten around to conquering Eternia with them because he's lazy or stupid, which you could also argue is the case in some canons.

Either way, leave the Troopers to Hordak!

I'd much rather have the MVC skeleton warriors than the Filmation tin cans.
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

In the mini comics, Twistoid was meant to be like an army of these robots from Filmation. I wonder if we'll see any influences of the robots from Filmation on the MOTUC Twistoid figure.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Id love some robot knights but wont be happening any time soon

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    I am wondering about this, myself. The She-Ra toy and cartoon model look nothing alike yet Mattel made Filmation She-Ra, as well as Adora and Bow.
    That's, frankly, vague. The best guess we have is that it's to do with Mattel Licensing's POP kit (commonly referred to around these parts as the "styleguide"), which the card art for Adora was taken from, and which contains Filmation-accurate versions of most of the toy characters (some are slightly different - e.g., Swiftwind is pink like his toy, and Sweet Bee has a unique-to-the-kit colour scheme).

*batteries not included Captain Atkin's Avatar
    I think a Twistoid figure painted grey and black with yellow eyes would suffice as a replacement for the hover droids from Filmation. They might be able to give him "propellor hands" as optional hands, and a removable mouth guard if collectors want to pose Twistoid without his mouth and nose showing. The hover robot in The Black Hole also had similar hands, so that is hardly something new Filmation came up with. Hurricane Hordak had a similar arm attachment. Having it be that Twistoid is a type of robot, instead of an individual character, could work well for MOTUC.

Last edited by Captain Atkin; October 22, 2010 at 07:47pm.
    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another." --- Man-At-Arms

www.hemanworld.com