Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.21!

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    I want new tooling to be spent as wisely as possible.

With Battle Cat, you can get Panthor and Clawdeen, and possibly Battle Lion out of it. And with Teela, you get Evil Lyn and probably arms and legs and who knows what else parts for the basis of tons of other female figures.

Now beyond that, there definitely tools that (barring unnecessary repaints) could only be used once, like Ram Man, and I would absolutely prioritize getting Ram Man before getting an "in scale" Clawful.

It might not be perfect, but Clawful can be made with existing (or eventually shared, with Buzz Off, etc) parts so that's the way to go.

Does it bug me when I see how tiny MOTUC Beast Man is compared to how he "should be"?

Definitely, but not so much that I'd take an in scale version over Gwildor, Extendar, Horde Trooper, Two-Badd, King Hiss, or many others.

To the other "debating" going on, I guess I don't have a horse in that race.
    When all's said and done (hopefully years from now!) I hope that MOTUC will be considered to be as close to the "definitive" MotU toy line as you can get, and that means taking inspiration from all versions of MotU over the years and cherry-picking the coolest elements available.

If that means a Classic weapon but a 200x belt design, then go with that.
    Most of these arguments can be boiled down to each fan "needing" their own personal wish list of stuff, when I tend to be more on the side of what's best for the line in the long run.

That said, if Mattel wants to greenlight some more Stactions to fill in a few gaps in the 200x line, I'd have absolutely no problem with that!

Awesome news about the new tooling. I can't wait to see what the future holds for this line.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

8. Now that Boomerang Media has purchased the rights to the Filmation Library from Entertainment Rights, is Mattel seeking a deal with Boomerang to lease or purchase the MOTU and POP rights?
    Sorry, it is Mattel policy not to discuss contractual issues

That means "Yes," by the way...

I feel that there was some very good news here, in regard to the new tooling and the aim of getting these into retail. I also, as the above poster mentioned, feel that getting the rights for certain Filmation characters may at least be on the radar screen.

I think that there was also some bad news though (IMO).... especially in regard to the questions about the half-armor, the idea of a poll to gauge opinions in regard to major design changes (which was a question that I had asked), and the flat out "no" to a possible release of He-Ro's error sword. It's just kind of depressing, because I feel like Mattel is really picking and choosing what they want to hear/ only hearing what they want to. I mean, it's nothing new, but it still can be depressing. And obviously these are just toys, so it's not the end of the world by any stretch. All the same though, the responses (the ones in response to the issues that I just mentioned) seemed just flat out dismissive for the most part. "Innovative" is certainly a pretty way to say "that's the way it is, and we're not even considering any alternatives whatsoever."

Anyway, on a lighthearted note, I am unwavering in my view on the half-armor... and plan to bring it up every three minutes out in San Diego like a broken record. Lol, don't mess with me fellas! This ain't my first time at the convention! Nooo morrreee half-armorrrr everrrrr! What are half-armors doing at this booth! Didn't I tell you no more half-armor!"

I didn't purchase Hordak because of it, and I won't be purchasing any future figures that sport the half-armor. I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels this way. Will Mattel miss my $$$? Not at all. And Mattel may not like to hear complaints about the issue, and can say it's set in stone until their faces turn blue, but I'll still voice my opinion, loud and clear. It's "letter to Mattel" time!
    Last edited by River; July 7, 2009 at 11:13pm.

Quote Originally Posted by River View Post

I didn't purchase Hordak because of it, and I won't be purchasing any future figures that sport the half-armor. I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels this way. Will Mattel miss my $$$? Not at all. And Mattel may not like to hear complaints about the issue, and can say it's set in stone until their faces turn blue, but I'll still voice my opinion, loud and clear. It's "letter to Mattel" time!
    Bravo for sticking to your guns.

I think the fact that Hordak only lasted an hour on Matty Collector just shows you that you are not alone in not wanting to purchase a figure with half armour

I think the reason he sold so fast was because: #1, he hasn't existed in action figure form in over 20 years. And #2 customers had no other option (aside from not purchasing him). It was that figure or nothing. I think a great many people who purchased him, weren't satisfied with how the armor was handled.

In my opinion, just because he sold fast, doesn't mean that people like the way his armor was handled. I think people just had to take what they were offered (or, again, simply not purchase the figure).

I think the reason he sold so fast was because: #1, he hasn't existed in action figure form in over 20 years. And #2 customers had no other option (aside from not purchasing him). It was that figure or nothing. I think a great many people who purchased him, weren't satisfied with how the armor was handled.

In my opinion, just because he sold fast, doesn't mean that people like the way his armor was handled. I think people just had to take what they were offered (or, again, simply not purchase the figure).
    I almost agree with you.
    I am going to quote myself on something I said in another thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    Maybe the reason Hordak sold out so quick was because of the character, not the armour?
    Mattel should release Clamp Champ soon to see if the armour really does have an impact on sales. Personally, I doubt it will becasue MOTUC is plastic crack and everyone still needs their hit

Regardless, until sales dictate otherwise, the half armour is here to stay

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    I still don't get the "controversy" over the armor.

But that said, I don't see why Mattel couldn't offer a "full armor" piece for some of the most important characters (ie. Hordak) in a weapons pack somewhere down the line.

That wouldn't take anything away from the regular Hordak release (who with such a lightning fast sell-out doesn't really need defending anyway) and it wouldn't be "admitting defeat" either.

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mkpat View Post
    Thanks for the answers!!! Interesting read on the tooling question...
    I always thought Cringer was more of a tool than Teela or Battle Cat! Lol!
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Please check out my Kaiju Kaos: Smackdown Kickstarter going on now until Feb 12th. Thanks!

Watcher of the Multiverse Jon-O's Avatar
    4. A lot of Fans really liked the clear Power Sword that was shown on the initial He-Ro prototype photos. Is there any chance of this version being released at some point? Or maybe releasing in the accessory pack mentioned above?
    No. There are several very specific reasons He-Ro’s sword is blue, one of which is the reference to the Blue Sword from the vintage weapon pack. Other reasons will be revealed in time!

I'll say it now-- I'm guessing the Sword of He is not the sword King Grayskull wielded, but as they said, the sword given to him by He-Ro; It becomes what we've known as the Sword of Protection. And there's probably a reason it looks like the Sword of Power, which we'll eventually learn.

That's all I've got...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by capitalzero View Post
    Well, it settles it in any case.

whether I come to regret it or not, remains to be seen. I guess I'll know when we see Fisto or King Randor.

but at the moment, I'm pretty happy about this announcement, though I'm also aware that others aren't so much. I'm trying not to gloat, but I am also very happy that the articulation has been saved.
    MOTU is a different beast all together because it is a toyline that is mostly known for the main protagonist by casual folk. Calling MOTU toys as "He-Man figures" is very common. No one in their life has never asked for "Lion-O figures" or "Optimist Prime figures", but they'll ask for the new "He-Man castle". So calling the good guys "Masters of the Universe" shouldn't be as bothersome as the whole toyline being known as "He-Man" to the casual crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Oh boy, where to start? There's way too much to quote, so I'm just going throw out some quick-fire responses without clicking on a bazillion different posts.

From the very start Mattel plugged MOTUC as being an all-inclusive line, but I never interpreted that as meaning an eventual return to the 200X style of figures. I don't think Mattel intended that either. Sure they're bringing some of the characters from the MYP series into this new line and using some of the 200X design elements, such as Hordak's staff, (and I'm fine with all of that), but the point is all those things are being transformed to fit in with the NEW MOTUC style... What some of the 200X fans are asking for is pretty much a new sub-line of figures.

Secondly, no offense, but it's hard to sympathize with the 200X cause when you guys already had an entire (recent) toy line and cartoon in the style that you want. Even now, MYP-only characters and 200X-ish style accessories etc. are being put into the line before a single POP or NA character has been made.
    I want my 200X characters as much as anyone, but Tallstar here sums it up for me. I only want certain design elements from 200X brought in, things such as new heads, a new belt or boot/shin guard design here and there, a couple extra 200X-style accessories, etc...

I don't want a ton of 200X completely non-fitting figures. I want the MOTUC Styled figures featuring a few choice elements from 200X. I think that's what most 200X'ers want, at least from talking to a few of them.

I want MOTUC style, cause it's the new style of MOTU and it's a good design choice IMO. I want that MOTUC style peppered with some 200X elements here and there. With possible Bonus Figures of heavily-redone characters in the 200X style (like a 200X He-Man with new head, bracers, loincloth, sword, shield, axe, and harness/chest armor, but re-using many of the same parts from the first MOTUC He-Man).
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

Originally Posted by River

Or it could be that he is an awesome figure

Thought I would throw my two cents in about the 200X debate:

How is something that came out less than ten years ago (and failed, might I add) considered to be classic?

and yes I collected all the 200X figures

Quote Originally Posted by FAN-DOR View Post
    Or it could be that he is an awesome figure

Thought I would throw my two cents in about the 200X debate:

How is something that came out less than ten years ago (and failed, might I add) considered to be classic?

and yes I collected all the 200X figures
    "Classic" is (as Uli 33 said) a not-so-good name for this line, since Mattel has stated since the start that it was about including a lot of elements from all lines (200X included). Think of it in the sense of Transformers: Classics - modern updates with a little bit pulled from here or there during the years.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by grenadaspice View Post
    MOTU is a different beast all together because it is a toyline that is mostly known for the main protagonist by casual folk. Calling MOTU toys as "He-Man figures" is very common. No one in their life has never asked for "Lion-O figures" or "Optimist Prime figures", but they'll ask for the new "He-Man castle". So calling the good guys "Masters of the Universe" shouldn't be as bothersome as the whole toyline being known as "He-Man" to the casual crowd.
    Optimist Prime, Hopeful leader of the Autobots! "I'm gonna make it some day!"

sorry, I'm not making fun of you, It was just a funny typo, that conjured up images of an Autobot Motivational Speaker.

anyway, I don't see how this relates to the armor debate. Or am I missing the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkhide View Post

I want MOTUC style, cause it's the new style of MOTU and it's a good design choice IMO. I want that MOTUC style peppered with some 200X elements here and there. With possible Bonus Figures of heavily-redone characters in the 200X style (like a 200X He-Man with new head, bracers, loincloth, sword, shield, axe, and harness/chest armor, but re-using many of the same parts from the first MOTUC He-Man).
    I agree. That is definitely what most MOTUC/200X fans want. Myself included.

Only the main versions need redone fully (He-Man, Skeletor, Sorceress, Zodak, Maybe Hordak, and a few choice others).

beyond that, I'm fine with the hybrids. So long as the mains are done right, and faithfully (but still using the standard body bucks from Classics), everything else will be just fine.
    Last edited by capitalzero; July 8, 2009 at 04:56am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Don't expect 200X Sorceress, Hordak & Zodak any time soon.
    Hordak & Zodac are out, and Zodac is so BORING (and my least favorite) that if we never see him again it would be great.
    (Are Zodac & Zodak the same character is another debate, but obviously they are.)
    As for the Sorceress, sorry but classic version comes first!

Heroic Warrior
    Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by neno View Post
    Hordak & Zodac are out, and Zodac is so BORING (and my least favorite) that if we never see him again it would be great.
    (Are Zodac & Zodak the same character is another debate, but obviously they are.)
    I don't think it would be to long for a Zodak figure (who I do think of as another character) all the parts to make him are there (He-Ro lower body, He-Man upper, Zodak head and armour) so he could concievably be a bonus figure.

I love the 200X Sorceress, and would love to see her first. Classic Sorceress there has been an action figure (albeit 20 years ago) but we've never had a figure of 200X Sorceress!
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

No one in their life has never asked for "Lion-O figures" or "Optimist Prime figures".

Blasphemy!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by neno View Post

I don't know how you think Zodac & Zodak could be the same people when there is no mention of the 200X involvement of King Hsss in the bio of MOTUC Zodac. Anyways, I will agree that if we do get both versions of the Sorceress, bring on the classic version first. Same thing for Rio Blast. Though I would prefer to see a Snake Armor He-Man before Battle Armor He-Man.

[QUOTE=FAN-DOR;2141317]Or it could be that he is an awesome figureQUOTE]

Outside of the half-armor issue, and at least as far as I can tell from the discussions here on the boards, I think that Hordak has generally been the figure that people have been the least pleased with thus far from the MOTUC line.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Outside of the half-armor issue, and at least as far as I can tell from the discussions here on the boards, I think that Hordak has generally been the figure that people have been the least pleased with thus far from the MOTUC line.
    People *****ed about Hordak, but still brought him. Zodac was the least liked figure in the line thus far, as evidenced by all the talk from SDCC 2008 and the time it took for him to sell out. People remember the Filmation version of him and disliked his evil warrior feet and flesh colored arm fins. I guess they didn't remember the original figure.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Powers of Grayskull Lord Snake Hunter's Avatar
    Im with you. I don´t like the half-armor issue and its stated that the final decission is up to the 4H, so I hope they change their minds. If the line is a success is also because of me, and you and all the people who supports the line, so we want that Mattel hear our voices.

Several people who says that liked the half-armor they change their opinion with the real figure on their hands and now they are dissappointed, so I consider this as a black point in the MOTUC line.
    TOP 20 MOTUC ITEMS WISHLIST
    -SONGSTER -KARG -CALIX -SCROLLOS -SAGITAR -CLAWDEEN -GRANITA
    -QUEEN ANDREENO -CERATOS -KULATAK ELDER
    -BIONATOPS -TURBODACTYL -TYRANTISAURUS -BATTLERAPTOR
    -METEORBS -ORACLE -QUEEN VEENA -GRAY -ODIPHUS -MONSTROID

2015 NA SUB (EXCLUSIVE: Darius)
    -Weaponstronic, Tuskador, Kayo, Lizorr, Staghorn, Hoove

I don't know how you think Zodac & Zodak could be the same people when there is no mention of the 200X involvement of King Hsss in the bio of MOTUC Zodac. Anyways, I will agree that if we do get both versions of the Sorceress, bring on the classic version first. Same thing for Rio Blast. Though I would prefer to see a Snake Armor He-Man before Battle Armor He-Man.
    Well they both are pronounced in the same way so how would those two meet:
    Hey I'm Zodac.
    Me too!
    And they both look pretty much the same only 200X is a black version.

Classic & 200X fan
    200X elements are ok, but I want more on some bonus figures, like Hordak, and ZODAK. I want the staff, and a new loincloth, with gloves and boots(no clawed feet). But for the most part, little 2k items thrown in make me happy.
    big geek