Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.21!

Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    Just to avoid the fan base jumping to any wrong conclusions, a "200X figure" in the Classics line would look like King Grayskull or how Webstor has a "bit of 200X" in him with the extra legs and eyes.

We won't be adding 'out or proportion' or edgy styling to the figures to "make them" 200X. All the figures in the current line will have the "Classics" look - which should be pretty clear by now in terms of shared parts and general feel. (Wait till you see Battle Cat! Wow.)

One of the design elements fans seem to ask about is the edgy feel of the 200X series. The last "edgy" figure was the staction series the Horsemen did. That "look" is now retired from Mattel. We know a lot of fans loved it, and so did I personally, but Classics is an all new line with its own look and feel to stand apart from the 200X line. We know there are figures that never made it in that line, and maybe one day we will go back and do collector 200X figures again. But for the time being, all figures will be "Classics" in style.

Therefore, for example, a 200X Hordak is extremely unlikely. We already gave him his 200X staff, the only other elements that make him "200X" are the edgy parts of his armor and skirt, and as said earlier, that "look" is retired for now.

Hope this clears up any confusion. We may still do He-Man in 200X down the line, but that would be with new chest armor only and the sword that came with MAA. Is that really more exciting as a He-Man refresh for fans vs. Battle Armor, Snake Armor, Thunder Punch, etc...? Let us know.

TG
    Last edited by Toyguru; July 9, 2009 at 02:10am.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Just to avoid the fan base jumping to any wrong conclusions, a "200X figure" in the Classics line would look like King Grayskull did. We won't be adding 'out or proportion' or edgy styling to the figures to "make them" 200X. All the figures in the current line will have the "Classics" look - which should be pretty clear by now in terms of shared parts and general feel. (Wait till you see Battle Cat! Wow.)

One of the design elements fans seem to ask about is the edgy feel of the 200X series. The last "edgy" figure was the staction series the Horsemen did. That "look" is now retired from Mattel. We know a lot of fans loved it, and so did I personally, but Classics is an all new line with its own look and feel to stand apart from the 200X line. We know there are figures that never made it in that line, and maybe one day we will go back and do collector 200X figures again. But for the time being, all figures will be "Classics" in style.

Therefore, for example, a 200X Hordak is extremely unlikely. We already gave him his 200X staff, the only other elements that make him "200X" are the edgy parts of his armor and skirt, and as said earlier, that "look" is retired for now.

Hope this clears up any confusion. We may still do He-Man in 200X down the line, but that would be with new chest armor only and the sword that came with MAA. Is that really more exciting as a He-Man refresh for fans vs. Battle Armor, Snake Armor, Thunder Punch, etc...? Let us know.

TG
    Glad you said this. I know some feel that for every character made their should be a 200X counterpart. Which I didn't really care for. But I do think taking the best parts from the 200X and incorporating it into the classics line is great. Just love how these figures are looking.

And, I don't think we need a issue of 200X He-Man. Now if the harness and sword was added in like an extra accessory. that would be fine. But I already got a basic He-Man. Now bring on Battle Armor, Snake Armor He-Man!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

We definately don't need each and every character duplicated.

I, though, am excited to see a 200x Zodak done in the color scheme / different armor pieces in the classics style. That's one of my top wants.

I don't think some people are going to be happy about this, but at least it gives us a more definitive answer as to what to expect from this line in the future.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Capitalzero there is no Filmation in MOTUC, and it is highly unlikely to happen. At least there have been a few 2k influances with the bio's, weapons and print adds, thats more than the filmation fans are likely to get. POP fans are only looking at "at least one figure next year" as it stands. So we also feel a bit gilted as well. I want 2K figures as too, I don't like what the 4H have done with Triclops. But it should be remembered that during all the 2K years there were many classic MOTU fans who were just left out in the cold, not being able to relate to these new figures. Now is their time to enjoy MOTU again!

Many fans wanted POP, 2k & NA characters in big numbers, but at then end of the day this line is about the classic look and feel of the old toys brought into the modern day, and Mattel have stated this over and over since MOTUC was announced. 2K was the most amazing evloution of Masters, and it ended well before it's time. But now is MOTUC's time and I would rather have that than nothing at all. I want pure 100 percent Filmation figures, and the chances of it happening are very very slim, so I will take enjoyment from what is available, and thats MOTUC, so I will stand behind it.

I hear your anger and I was there myself over the whole She-Ra issue. But I had to accept that this line is about the classic figures (She-Ra included) and then I started to come arounnd. I seriously do NOT like that there will be no Filmation inspired She-Ra and Catra in MOTUC, but at least there will be a She-Ra for me to buy & get behind and for that I am greatfull. Finally, I and many other fans are very much looking foward to the "Chicken Dance Sorceress"!!!!. Everytime I think of the sorceress now I am gonna have an image of her doing the chicken dance stuck in my head (UK fans will get this reference, unless you have the chicken dance in the US as well).
    Last edited by Angel-T; July 9, 2009 at 05:13am.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Classic & 200X fan
    Can't wait for the CLASSIC sorceress then, though I never had any question that would be the one they would go for.
    big geek

All the figures in the current line will have the "Classics" look - which should be pretty clear by now in terms of shared parts and general feel. (Wait till you see Battle Cat! Wow.)
    I am so glad to hear this being reconfirmed! Oh my god, yes! I am so happy. Supporters of the original designs have waited over 20 years to see them brought to life again. I hope that POP and NA designs get a lot of love also as the MOTUC line continues. Bring on She-Ra, the Rebellion, the evil mutants, and Loo-Kee's third cousin, twice removed!

Also, I understand how 2002 line and staction supporters feel. But those elements are being sprinkled in as we speak- and in recent years there were two lines (the 2002 line and the staction line) devoted specifically to that style. Regardless, the 2002 elements are getting love currently as well.

I think that the current direction of the line pleases the most people. There is no way to make everyone 100% happy at any given time. The half-armor just about makes me want to pull my hair out and spit rusty nails (lol), but even with that being said, I think Mattel is doing an excellent job with the line thus far.

Angel-T, though Filmation characters are off-limits at the moment, I bet we'll see them at some point... it may be a little on down the road/ if something legally is worked out, but I think it's always a possibility. And as you mentioned, bring on the chicken dance Sorceress!

lol @ Chicken Dance Sorceress. I'm looking forward to the Sorceress in her classic outfit as well.

Anyhow, I'm quite pleased with Toyguru's response on the 200X issue and am breathing a sigh of relief over the clarification that they're only taking some notes/inspirations from that toy line where appropriate and fully intending to continue on 100% with the MOTUC style.

Even though I know a lot of fans loved the last toy line, personally I never understood the urgency for pure 200X and the comparisons to POP fans, who have been waiting for so long. Apples and oranges, IMO. I mean, say they did a POP cartoon and toy line of my dreams and that whole era lasted for a couple of years, ensuring that a big chunk of those characters were realized in plastic form. -- Not only would I be totally appreciative of what I got, but I would also understand if they went in another direction on the next toy line and catered to a different segment of the fan base. 200X just ended a few short years ago. I say give it a minimum of 10 years before anything happens with it again to build up the nostalgia factor.

That said, I do think you guys will be getting the 200X Zodak that Mattel mentioned as a possibility at NYCC, since that trademark has been updated recently, but I think he will only have a couple of influences from the figure. I'm thinking they'll just repaint the classics figure, give him a staff and maybe a new head and that's about it. I could be wrong, but I can't see them giving him new boots, etc.

P.S. I'm not interested in a 200X refresh for He-Man. If we're going to be getting refreshed characters as bonuses, I'd prefer that Mattel looks to a few selections from the original vintage lines.
    Last edited by Tallstar; July 9, 2009 at 06:09am.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Classic & 200X fan
    Tall-For Zodak, I personally would like a new staff, and that's it for new tooling. The rest of the figure, imo would work like this.

Zodac head & armor
    He-Man torso,legs,arms
    Hordak gloves
    He-Ro lioncloth & boots.

And of course with a darker skin tone. A geat bonus would be a helmetless head.
    big geek

Quote Originally Posted by Kafos View Post
    Can't wait for the CLASSIC sorceress then, though I never had any question that would be the one they would go for.
    I still think the 200X Sorceress will get a figure eventually. Unlike a 200X Hordak, she would look significantly different from the vintage version.

It's not just a new loincloth, it's a completely different outfit. Which I can see them making using Teela's sculpt as a base.

Classic & 200X fan
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    I still think the 200X Sorceress will get a figure eventually. Unlike a 200X Hordak, she would look significantly different from the vintage version.

It's not just a new loincloth, it's a completely different outfit. Which I can see them making using Teela's sculpt as a base.
    Maybe..But like you said, EVENTUALLY.
    big geek

Tall-For Zodak, I personally would like a new staff, and that's it for new tooling. The rest of the figure, imo would work like this.

Zodac head & armor
    He-Man torso,legs,arms
    Hordak gloves
    He-Ro lioncloth & boots.

And of course with a darker skin tone. A geat bonus would be a helmetless head.
    There you go. That would work and I think he'd look like a very different character, even though he's mostly re-used parts. For some reason I think Mattel would go 'all out' and give him the helmet-less head too.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Classic & 200X fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    There you go. That would work and I think he'd look like a very different character, even though he's mostly re-used parts. For some reason I think Mattel would go 'all out' and give him the helmet-less head too.
    Yeah I think it would work.
    big geek

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Yay Toyguru - thank you for chiming in and putting much of the debate to rest.

So fans - do you think Ninjor will have clothe clothing or some sort of sculpted rubber like Grayskull's cape!? What about the Sorceress's wings?

Oh and Toyguru's comment about Battle Cat contained within the same breath as "shared parts" had me worried the first read thru. Makes it sound like the cat has He-Man's chest or possibly limbs.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Please check out my Kaiju Kaos: Smackdown Kickstarter going on now until Feb 12th. Thanks!

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by baileyrecords View Post
    Oh and Toyguru's comment about Battle Cat contained within the same breath as "shared parts" had me worried the first read thru. Makes it sound like the cat has He-Man's chest or possibly limbs.
    Yeah, I thought the same, but I pictured Panthor & Clawdeen. I cant wait!
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Just to avoid the fan base jumping to any wrong conclusions, a "200X figure" in the Classics line would look like King Grayskull or how Webstor has a "bit of 200X" in him with the extra legs and eyes.

We won't be adding 'out or proportion' or edgy styling to the figures to "make them" 200X. All the figures in the current line will have the "Classics" look - which should be pretty clear by now in terms of shared parts and general feel. (Wait till you see Battle Cat! Wow.)

TG
    Ah...so a 200X He-Man in MOTUC would basically be 200X chest harness and sword, but otherwise unchanged from normal He-Man? No pouchbelt or different bracers and belt? (Please give him a different head. Some of us doing like the pageboy haircut) Are you saying that you might do 200X versions of characters, but it'll be a compromise with their classic look? That we should forget about different belts and bracers?

If you've been following this forum regularly, you know I'm going to have some questions about this. I'm not arguing with you, I just want to understand how to go about wanting 200X versions of the characters.

"Someday, we might do this" or "Extremely unlikely" is not a flat out "No, we're not doing it" (like the half armor issue) if I'm understanding you right. It's basically as before where the 200X fans would have to wait...which I don't mind doing, so long as I'm not waiting for nothing.

This custom is the closest thing to what we've been asking for.

What would have to happen so that we could get figures such as the custom above? What would be some factors? Would the 200X He-Man variant that you might do have to sell really well? Would all the original characters have to come out first? Would you have to run out of A to C list original characters?

About the "edgy" thing: If you're talking about the anime angular sculpting and proportions, that wasn't what we were were talking about. We KNOW any 200X versions of MOTUC figures would basically have the same dimensions and proportions of the MOTUC already released. We'd want them to fit into Classics...it would seem like the MOTUC characters with different clothing, not counting the radically different characters.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

That is a nice custom and a very good messing of styles.

Isn't MAA coming with the 200x power sword as the hidden bonus accessory? With the intention of pleasing 200x fans?

Please check out my Kaiju Kaos: Smackdown Kickstarter going on now until Feb 12th. Thanks!

That is a He-Man version I would buy! No doubt about it!

That is a nice custom and a very good messing of styles.
    I know...I think we could get 200X, by using the MOTUC bodies (at least for some characters). From Touguru's post above, it seems like he means that the 200X fans should forget about unique bracers, belts and loincloths even if we do get any 200X versions of characters. Which would be disappointing, but not a deal breaker.

Isn't MAA coming with the 200x power sword as the hidden bonus accessory? With the intention of pleasing 200x fans?
    Yes, just as Tri-Klops' secret identity pleases the vintage fans.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Yes, just as Tri-Klops' secret identity pleases the vintage fans.
    I don't put any weight in the new fluff - not until I see it as a full, unveiled, story which will take a long time.

Even if they made a movie based on the new fluff... I'm sure the other Evil Warriors would call old 3-eyes "Tri-Klops" and not whatever Matty decided to name him.

There are very few truly cool "real" names in MOTU. Randor, Keldor, and Kronos are really the only ones I like because they have a "legendary" feel to them. "Adam" is a lame, biblical, every day name (no offense to real Adams out there). "Duncan" will always remind me of that guy who "makes" donuts in the commercials. "Dekkar" had his time... on the A-Team, etc.

Marlena isn't a bad name either. Add that to the list. Way better than the tongue-in-cheek "Adora".

Classic & 200X fan
    I think TG already told you.

IF they do a 2k he-man, he will come with a 2k sword and a 2k chest harness(with the CROSS I'm sure). 2K will be in this line, as it has been up to now. Webstor has the 2k limbs, but on a CLASSIC Webstor.

Marzo will be the closest thing I think. He will be bulky,and share He-Man's body, but will look as much like his MYP counterpart as King Grayskull, due to the fact it's the ONLY version they can do. Now if they made a figure of him in the 80's? I bet he would be THAT Marzo, with a dwarf version packed in.

Even Grayskull had the classic weapons. Should really be obvious by now(as tg said) that the 2k elements that we have in Mer-Man,Webstor, Teela's sword, IS this line's 200X figures.
    big geek

IF they do a 2k he-man, he will come with a 2k sword and a 2k chest harness(with the CROSS I'm sure). 2K will be in this line, as it has been up to now. Webstor has the 2k limbs, but on a CLASSIC Webstor.

Marzo will be the closest thing I think. He will be bulky,and share He-Man's body, but will look as much like his MYP counterpart as King Grayskull, due to the fact it's the ONLY version they can do. Now if they made a figure of him in the 80's? I bet he would be THAT Marzo, with a dwarf version packed in.

Even Grayskull had the classic weapons. Should really be obvious by now(as tg said) that the 2k elements that we have in Mer-Man,Webstor, Teela's sword, IS this line's 200X figures.
    Well put Kafos. That's what I've been trying to reiterate.

So, cloth on Ninjor? Or molded rubber?

And I for one am glad that Evilseed will be the 200x version and not the Filmation version. Never liked that onion head!

Classic & 200X fan
    Well put Kafos. That's what I've been trying to reiterate.

And I for one am glad that Evilseed will be the 200x version and not the Filmation version. Never liked that onion head!

Hmmmmm..Well cloth would give him that Vintage look and feel...But with molded rubber, I would love to see the detail the 4H would put into that I think I would have to vote for molded, just because it's the 4H, and sculpting is always fantastic with them. Cloth would just cover it up.

And I agree on Evilseed. I like MOST MYP designs better, and Evilseed is one of them for sure. Not too sure if they will ever get to him, but it would be nice.
    big geek

I'm not talking about the vintage characters with 200X parts, but the uniquely 200X versions of the characters. I'd love to know what to expect. Like if we got a 200X version of Skeletor, would he have bracelets and greaves like the 200X figure or would it be a MOTUC Skeletor with only new armor and weapons?

King Grayskull looked as if he came from the 80's. Marzo, for all we know would be a repainted King Randor with a new head and accessories--basically as if he came from the 80's. For the record, I'm usually not talking about the new 200X characters, just the 200X versions of the original characters.

I know he said this. I just want to know if I should give up hoping for 200X versions of MOTUC. Or if we did get them, what to expect. I don't want to expect the wrong things or get my hopes up for nothing with every 200X mention.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; July 9, 2009 at 10:41am.

I see Ninor not having Cloth or molded rubber but being painted black with a chest decal painted on similar to Faker and come with two heads mask on and off