Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Answers to WTFWTK 2.21!

Jeeeez! Maybe they should have used another word instead of "Classics", then maybe we wouldn't have to hear all this "vintage fan " vs "200x fan" whining!!

Whatever happened to just being a MotU fan!?

MotU Ultimates for the win!

(Sorry guys but Im just getting rather tired of this back and forth regarding "vintage" and "200x")
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    Jeeeez! Maybe they should have used another word instead of "Classics", then maybe we wouldn't have to hear all this "vintage fan " vs "200x fan" whining!!

MotU Ultimates for the win!

(Sorry guys but Im just getting rather tired of this back and forth regarding "vintage" and "200x")
    AMEN Brother! Thank you for saying what Im sure is on a lot of fans minds. you really wouldnt think we are all fans of the same basic toys.
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Just to avoid the fan base jumping to any wrong conclusions, a "200X figure" in the Classics line would look like King Grayskull or how Webstor has a "bit of 200X" in him with the extra legs and eyes.

We won't be adding 'out or proportion' or edgy styling to the figures to "make them" 200X. All the figures in the current line will have the "Classics" look - which should be pretty clear by now in terms of shared parts and general feel. (Wait till you see Battle Cat! Wow.)

One of the design elements fans seem to ask about is the edgy feel of the 200X series. The last "edgy" figure was the staction series the Horsemen did. That "look" is now retired from Mattel. We know a lot of fans loved it, and so did I personally, but Classics is an all new line with its own look and feel to stand apart from the 200X line. We know there are figures that never made it in that line, and maybe one day we will go back and do collector 200X figures again. But for the time being, all figures will be "Classics" in style.

Therefore, for example, a 200X Hordak is extremely unlikely. We already gave him his 200X staff, the only other elements that make him "200X" are the edgy parts of his armor and skirt, and as said earlier, that "look" is retired for now.

Hope this clears up any confusion. We may still do He-Man in 200X down the line, but that would be with new chest armor only and the sword that came with MAA. Is that really more exciting as a He-Man refresh for fans vs. Battle Armor, Snake Armor, Thunder Punch, etc...? Let us know.

TG
    That answers a lot of questions. I am glad this has been clarified

Toyguru is asking for our input, so what do you think we should do? As much as I love what we're getting, I do think this toy line could stand to be a bit more balanced, not only with the character selections, but with where the inspirations are coming from.

Not trying to be rude whatsoever, but 200X is like a big brother who is constantly being looked to, to explain how things should be done. It's fine once in awhile, but do we really need to give the characters every accessory/weapon they had in the 200X series, etc.? If they passed on a chunk of those, they could probably afford to do a Horde Trooper or something.

But anyhow, I think almost everyone whines to a certain degree. Just depends on the scenario.
    Last edited by Tallstar; July 10, 2009 at 07:11am.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I hear ya man, but it really is getting a bit much.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

I hear ya man, but it really is getting a bit much.
    This too shall pass. In a couple days it'll be all about MAA.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Classic & 200X fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    This too shall pass. In a couple days it'll be all about MAA.

Hey, then just think what the NEXT week after MAA will be like. I'm hoping everyone will be excited and happy about all the new figures, and news we will be getting.
    big geek

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Not trying to be rude whatsoever, but 200X is like a big brother who is constantly being looked to, to explain how things should be done. It's fine once in awhile, but do we really need to give the characters every accessory/weapon they had in the 200X series, etc.? If they passed on a chunk of those, they could probably afford to do a Horde Trooper or something.
    I disagree. Characters got some accessories that have nothing to do with 200X. We even got warrior rings, too.

The problem is that everyone else gets overlooked for the oldest, most successful brother. That brother even got an entire year to shine and still demands more time out of POP and NA's allotted time. 200X couldn't stop new characters from coming out, as it isn't even in the mix as far as figures go. Look to the "Me first" crowd.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding this, but some people seem to get the idea from Toyguru that the first Sorceress released will be the "Chicken" Sorceress

Wasn't Toyguru just saying a certain STYLE of figure was retired? I don't think he ever said characters who were completely different would definatly be done in their 80's style evry time? An Egyptian style Sorceress who looks like she had a classic figure would work.
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    Sorry if I'm misunderstanding this, but some people seem to get the idea from Toyguru that the first Sorceress released will be the "Chicken" Sorceress

Wasn't Toyguru just saying a certain STYLE of figure was retired? I don't think he ever said characters who were completely different would definatly be done in their 80's style evry time? An Egyptian style Sorceress who looks like she had a classic figure would work.
    There have been different posts saying different things... but the majority of them, have said that the 80's figure/artwork would be the basis for the classic figures. There has been one quote saying if they are radically different they may take the 200x influences in the classic style....

but gosh I hope they go with Chicken sorceress... I never liked Eqyptian queen version....

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    but gosh I hope they go with Chicken sorceress... I never liked Eqyptian queen version....
    And I'm quite the opposite in opinion.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Please check out my Kaiju Kaos: Smackdown Kickstarter going on now until Feb 12th. Thanks!

The 200X Sorceress is a really inventive design concept, but classics for me says "Bock, bock!".

In the female figure wish list thread, the Sorceress is the #1 requested figure. There are three versions being voted on, and the classic Sorceress is the most popular, by a mile.

I'd collect all three, since they are each so interesting. But my first love is the feathered outfit that hints at her Zoar alter ego...

Chicken Sorceress for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    The 200X Sorceress is a really inventive design concept, but classics for me says "Bock, bock!".

In the female figure wish list thread, the Sorceress is the #1 requested figure. There are three versions being voted on, and the classic Sorceress is the most popular, by a mile.

I'd collect all three, since they are each so interesting. But my first love is the feathered outfit that hints at her Zoar alter ego...
    I honestly think that The Sorceress is one of the A-list characters who would get bothe versions, and you're probably right about the 80's version being released first, but IMHO, it would be a great suprise if we saw 200X version first.

I feel the same with Adam, however I also think classic Adam would be an easy for a months bonus figure, with a 200X version as figure of the month somewher down the line
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Toymaker, I love your thoughts on that. I'd LOVE to see 200X Adam in the line; I wonder if they'd consider making 200X Adam and the same month, releasing "Classic Adam", a VERY EASY figure to produce. That would be the best a fan could hope for!

As for the Sorceress, I really hope they make both versions!

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAdam101 View Post
    Toymaker, I love your thoughts on that. I'd LOVE to see 200X Adam in the line; I wonder if they'd consider making 200X Adam and the same month, releasing "Classic Adam", a VERY EASY figure to produce. That would be the best a fan could hope for!

As for the Sorceress, I really hope they make both versions!
    Will vintage Adam and vintage (chicken girl) Sorceress have cloth or molded rubber costume bits? Just curious what people think?

Personally... I don't care one way or another however I do prefer consistency in toylines (not that we EVER get that from anyone) so since Grayskull is molded rubber... they all should be.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Please check out my Kaiju Kaos: Smackdown Kickstarter going on now until Feb 12th. Thanks!

Collector of Toys 4 Life
    Glad to see the answer for #6. I knew it'd be coming eventually.
    Using Teela & BC was a bad example though.... both have parts that can be used for making other figures. He-man & Beastman were also 100% tooled. those examples don't count imo.

What about king Hiss, Two Bad, Ramman, Horde & snakemen characters whose parts are not reused? I'm glad they said it won't depend on a retail release for those characters to get made. That's what I've been waiting to hear since the line started.

i get what they mean about the 200x style being retired, but what about the designs? Obviously we won't see any skinny motu figures anytime soon which is fine by me, but i do think some characters would be 100 times better if they were more 200x influenced design-wise.

Why not do a 200x Hordak (in the bulky motuc style)? Alot of people would buy that in a heartbeat...other toy companies make multiple versions of the same character in different styles, why not this one? Ultimately I'd love to have the different versions of some characters side by side, with the same articulation & same size.
    Lifelong fan of: MOTU, G.I.Joe, Transformers, most 'good' movies of any genre, Star Wars, oldies/classic rock & country music, WWE/WWF/WCW/NWA wrestling, old school circus sideshow performers & fictional movie 'creatures', my friends and family. oh, yes...and I love action figures!!!!!

Support MVCreations for MOTUC!!!!

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Multibot View Post
    i get what they mean about the 200x style being retired, but what about the designs? Obviously we won't see any skinny motu figures anytime soon which is fine by me, but i do think some characters would be 100 times better if they were more 200x influenced design-wise.

Why not do a 200x Hordak (in the bulky motuc style)? Alot of people would buy that in a heartbeat...other toy companies make multiple versions of the same character in different styles, why not this one? Ultimately I'd love to have the different versions of some characters side by side, with the same articulation & same size.
    The problem there is that when does the design = too much money required for new tooling.
    And the other wrinkle is that some fans may see more drastic design changes than others.
    IMO, 200x Hordak is not so very different of a design from MOTUC Hordak, but rather it's the STYLE that is the most obvious contrast.

I agree with general consensus in that regard, that He-Man, Zodak, Sorceress, Prince Adam, and then probably Skeletor are the main characters that one could argue have a different enough design to warrant a separate version.

It would fall into the same category of why people would want to see NA versions of He-Man and Skeletor, too.
    If we get NA Skeletor, then I don't see why we couldn't get Zodak, or "egyptian" Sorceress too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Man Walking View Post
    I love the answer about Her-Ro's sword.

Fans: Ooh we love the black star sword He-Ro is getting
    Mattel: Oops, that's the wrong sword. Here's the right one; it's blue.
    Fans: But we prefer the black one. Can He-Ro have the black one instead?
    Mattel: No.
    Fans: Ok, but how about if you sell the black one in an accessory pack.
    Fans: But we really love the black one.
    Mattel: We don't care.
    Fans: But we'll give you extra money for it.
    Mattel: We don't want your money.
    Fans: PLEASE
    True! It really bugs me that Mattel said they were following the 4H's lead on this line, but now I've learned that the dark 'starfield' sword was the 4H's intended version all along, not a factory error as Mattel claimed.

Why didn't they just keep the blue sword for the inevitable weapons pak, or swap them around if they needed He-Ro to have the blue one so badly?

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    True! It really bugs me that Mattel said they were following the 4H's lead on this line, but now I've learned that the dark 'starfield' sword was the 4H's intended version all along, not a factory error as Mattel claimed.
    First I've heard of that. Where did that information turn up?
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    First I've heard of that. Where did that information turn up?
    From the Four Horsemen themselves, on the FANtastic Exclusive forum. Check the "Grey He-ro sword?" thread.

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    Just to avoid the fan base jumping to any wrong conclusions, a "200X figure" in the Classics line would look like King Grayskull or how Webstor has a "bit of 200X" in him with the extra legs and eyes.

We won't be adding 'out or proportion' or edgy styling to the figures to "make them" 200X. All the figures in the current line will have the "Classics" look - which should be pretty clear by now in terms of shared parts and general feel. (Wait till you see Battle Cat! Wow.)

One of the design elements fans seem to ask about is the edgy feel of the 200X series. The last "edgy" figure was the staction series the Horsemen did. That "look" is now retired from Mattel. We know a lot of fans loved it, and so did I personally, but Classics is an all new line with its own look and feel to stand apart from the 200X line. We know there are figures that never made it in that line, and maybe one day we will go back and do collector 200X figures again. But for the time being, all figures will be "Classics" in style.

Therefore, for example, a 200X Hordak is extremely unlikely. We already gave him his 200X staff, the only other elements that make him "200X" are the edgy parts of his armor and skirt, and as said earlier, that "look" is retired for now.

Hope this clears up any confusion. We may still do He-Man in 200X down the line, but that would be with new chest armor only and the sword that came with MAA. Is that really more exciting as a He-Man refresh for fans vs. Battle Armor, Snake Armor, Thunder Punch, etc...? Let us know.

TG
    I love the nods we're getting from the 200x line!!! And I really love how we're getting the 200x Zodak. I think the new MOTUC body sculpts look awesome.

The only figures who wouldn't look right in the MOTUC sculpt imo would be Clawful and Whiplash. They look nicer as bigger figures and they might be able to share some of their body sculpts. I wouldn't mind playing more for them as deluxe bonus figures.

I don't think there's really a need to release a 200x He-Man without some new sculpted things like the head, loin cloth, shield and axe.
    Although I would much rather have an "Ice Armor He-Man", "New Adventures He-Man", "New Adventures Skeletor", "Battle Armor Skeletor" & "Dragon Blaster Skeletor" instead