Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 200x figures in the MOTUC line - Official Discussion; post Matty annoucement

200x figures in the MOTUC line - Official Discussion; post Matty annoucement

A lot of fans have been posting online wish lists and remarks about the style of MOTU Classics. While we did say in some recent Q & As that we will look at the 2002-2004 line for influence, I want to clear up any confusion about the look of the figure sculpts inthe Classics line.

The hyper detail 2002 look is has been "retired". You won't see any hyper stylized figures in the Classics line. But what you will see is figures from the 2002 series done in "Classics" style (such as King Grayskull). If a character had unique armor or weapons in the 2002 series, we will look at finding ways to bring that into the Classics line, but we won't, for example, be doing a "2002 Hordak" as we already included his 2002 staff with the current figure. 2002 Hordak and Classics Hordak is the same character, just sculpted in a different style.

The style behind the Classics line is that these are figures based on the look and feel of the original MOTU 1981-1987 line but with today's modern articualtion and detail. We will look at doing POP, NA and "200X" figures in the Classics line, but they will be done in the same style as other Classics figures, not in the hyper detail look of the 200X line.

We know there are a lot of fans of the 2002-2004 line out there. And one day we may go back and do a new line of figures in this style. But the Classics line is an all new line, unrelated to the look of the 2002 - 2004 line. We have some really great figures in the wings waiting to be shown off at SDCC. Although not every fan will get exactly what they want, there are some great surprises in store!

See you in San Diego!

Matty
    Fneh's MOTUC wishlist:
    Spikor, MYP Marzo, Snake Armour He-Man, Stinkor
    Fneh's MOTUC needed list:
    King Grayskull, Beastman, Stratos head

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    All of those cool ideas...gone.

Guess we have some threads to close. No point in keeping them active anymore.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I can't wait to see what gets revealed in San Diego.

I'm really excited about this MOTUC line. It's not 100% perfect, but nothing & nobody IS perfect.

Not exactly unexpected news, but it's nice to have that cleared up.

I love both the vintage and 200X line. However, I am loving the MOTUC style just as much if not more. The overall classic look with 200X elements is the perfect receipt for MOTUC for me.

One thing I would like to comment on is how responsive TG/Matty is. I think the fandom takes for granted how awesome it is that Mattel actually responds and comments on fan reactions a couple times each month. To me, it shows how hard they are trying to please the majority of fans. Us He-fans and She-ravers should feel fortunate. I have yet to see anything like this for Hasbro properties (Transformers, G.I. Joe, and now Marvel).

I feel alot better know I`ll save alot of money on Mattel not producing 200X styles figs!

Hopefully we see at a lot less threads about it here now. RIP 200X.

Quote Originally Posted by soundwavempl View Post
    I love both the vintage and 200X line. However, I am loving the MOTUC style just as much if not more. The overall classic look with 200X elements is the perfect receipt for MOTUC for me.

One thing I would like to comment on is how responsive TG/Matty is. I think the fandom takes for granted how awesome it is that Mattel actually responds and comments on fan reactions a couple times each month. To me, it shows how hard they are trying to please the majority of fans. Us He-fans and She-ravers should feel fortunate. I have yet to see anything like this for Hasbro properties (Transformers, G.I. Joe, and now Marvel).

completely agree 100%. It's clear that Matty want this line to thrive every bit as much as everyone on these boards.

I'm still really excited about seeing a Marzo figure. I have a feeling he would be very similar to triklops, but with a different head and perhaps He-ro's boots
    Fneh's MOTUC wishlist:
    Spikor, MYP Marzo, Snake Armour He-Man, Stinkor
    Fneh's MOTUC needed list:
    King Grayskull, Beastman, Stratos head

I'm totally fine with this. They're incorporating elements into the new MOTUC style which is fine by me. Another line of 200X stuff might be cool one day but I'm more than happy with what we're getting.

Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    This should close about half of the threads on this part of the forum.

As much as I did like the 200X line, this line is far superior, and I'm glad they announced this. I really didn't want to buy a regular Hordak and then a slightly different 200X-styled Hordak. I'd much rather see as many unique figures released instead of 200X versions of figures we already have.

Pretty much what I expected, I love the look and feel of this line. Nothing against the 200X line, but I am all about the MOTUC now, and I have yet to be let down.

Thanks to Toyguru for taking the time to address this.

MOTUC needs to be its own thing.

I mean, I'm desperate for a commemorative 3-Pack of The Star Sisters done in the classic 80s POP style, but I don't think it's a good idea unless they kept/made the molds for those. I've made peace with the fact that they'll only be done in MOTUC style... if they make them at all.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Respect for ToyGuru, You guys listen us even tough we say sometimes you don't !!!
    MOTUC needs:Tung Lashor, Rio-Blast and rest of the Hordes!

WANTED: Minicomics !!! Swords NEEDED !!! MY FEEDBACK

This is a pretty blatant contradiction to statements they've made earlier. I love how after they make these statments they say things like, "but this is what we've been planning all along" when TG himself has mentioned doing 200x versions of He-Man and Skelly in recent Q&As.
    Rigby the Barbarian - Swords, Sorcery and Sarcasm

Heroic Warrior
    I can't wait to see whats revealed at SDCC...i hope it's Sorceress, Evil Lyn, & King Hiss...1 can hope.

I am glad though that Mattel does listen to what we say and take note of what we would like to see. Thats a plus
    "A Race 2 What And Where We Going?
    We In The Same Boat
    But Eye'M The Only One Rowin
    Last Time Eye Checked U Were Sleepin'
    …but U Can Call Me A Dreamer 2"

First the half armor problem and now 200X. I guess the fans really can't influence anything with Mattel. I guess it was a nice try though.

Obviously, I'm not thrilled (as it was my favorite era), but it's not the end of the world either since I also like the pre-Filmation era almost as much as I do 200X.

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    There was no way around this. The "style" of a figure is what defines the line. This doesn't have the same style as vintage, why would it have the style of 200X? "Design" is a different beast. Hopefully we can put that to rest next

[QUOTE=soundwavempl;2142319]I love both the vintage and 200X line. However, I am loving the MOTUC style just as much if not more. The overall classic look with 200X elements is the perfect receipt for MOTUC for me. /QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more with the above sentiment. I am surprised TG mentioned they may revisit their 200X line again someday. I seriously doubt it. With MOTUC in it's infancy and a new movie on the horizon with presumably new movie figures associated with it, where would it fit?

This was the most logical thing they could do imo. Is it really necessary a classic Hordak and a 200x Hordak when Motuc Hordak is a mix of both of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Frogster View Post
    I am surprised TG mentioned they may revisit their 200X line again someday. I seriously doubt it. With MOTUC in it's infancy and a new movie on the horizon with presumably new movie figures associated with it, where would it fit?
    I'm not.

He's being diplomatic and not trying to burn any bridges by possibly alienating hardcore 200X fans. If the situation presents itself in the future, Mattel could bring back 200X, just like they brought back MOTU, NA and POP as MOTUC.

I'm happy with what they're doing. There are important elements to 200x (ie weapons, webstor's legs, etc) but so far I feel they've been included and I'm sure they'll continue to do so. To me, MOTUC are the ultimate versions of the characters.

I think for all of the people upset at this news, it's important to remeber that this is their position RIGHT NOW. Things can change quite a bit in year or two. Who knows what effect the movie or other outside factors will have? I collect Transformers as well as Masters, and I often look at Hasbro to see what is posible for the Masters line. Case in point, the Transformers Classics were just supposed to be a fill-in line between Cybertron and the movie stuff. At the time Hasbro said there were'nt any plans to continue it, but lo and behold, the line was so succesful that not only did it come back between the two movie lines, but also along-side their animated stuff. And they will be back again next year. Transformers re-issues, considered dead just a few years ago, are now back as well. Hasbro has realized that the Transformers can exist in multiple styles across multiple demographic groups, and I think Mattel will realize the same thing. In a few years I would'nt be surprised to see 200x stuff alongside Classics and maybe even re-issues. I think we just need to give Mattel time to re-grow the brand organically, from the ground up. Let's relax and see where we are in three years.

I wouldn't have a problem with this if they had only made MOTUC a little smaller so it would blend in with the 200X figures if we so chose. I understand that it is its own line, but still.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Man View Post
    This is a pretty blatant contradiction to statements they've made earlier. I love how after they make these statments they say things like, "but this is what we've been planning all along" when TG himself has mentioned doing 200x versions of He-Man and Skelly in recent Q&As.
    I admit I haven't read all of the things TG has said before, but I've always had the impression that a 200x version of He-Man just meant that it would be the current He-Man sculpt with 200x design elements (different sword, different cross on chest, maybe a different head, etc). I never had the impression that TG has ever insinuated that they would do unique sculpts for 200x versions in the MOTUC line. To me, that would be a different line completely.