Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

Updated: Limited Edition MOTU ART BOOK at SDCC - Official Discussion

From Mattycollector:

http://www.mattycollector.com/store/matty/ContentTheme/pbPage.News

Limited Edition MOTU Art Book at SDCC

July 10, 2009
    By Matty

Hey MOTU Fans!

Oh man, this is BIG… the design team at Mattel just announced the first book in their "Designed @ Mattel" series and it's a MOTU art book!

The book shows off the fantastic art of the MOTU brand from 1981 through current day. It's packed with never-before-seen Mattel concept art, behind-the-scenes notes, posters, oil paintings, and a whole lot more from across the brand. All that MOTU art from over the years is mighty sweet, but the book also premiers concept art from new projects, like a proposed live action film!

It's a soft-cover edition, limited to only 1,000 numbered copies. Each one comes with a numbered cover ribbon and an embossed seal. The first place they'll be available is San Diego Comic-Con. Purchases will be limited to two per guest, per wait in line. And get this… you can even have your copy signed by the Mattel artists at the show!

If any units remain after the show they may be sold on Mattycollector.com, but honestly, we expect to sell out at SDCC. Be sure to come by the MattyCollector.com booth early for your chance to own a piece of MOTU history!

—Matty
    UPDATE, originally posted by Tallstar

Updates on MOTU Art Book
    Today at 5:25pm
    We know a lot of fans are very excited about the Designed @ Mattel Vol. 1 book on MOTU being offered at SDCC. A few more details: The book will be softcover, 53 pages, with a numbered foil stamped ribbon across the cover. It will be $50.00 and limited to 2 per guest per line wait. It will have sections on all the major MOTU lines and a look at the future of the brand.

Now we know a lot of fans are asking why only 1,000 copies and will we ever reprint? The answer (at least for now) is that this was actually a number required. For a variety of legal reasons we were restricted to only create this book if we kept it as a limited edition. That was part of the bargain for getting to do the book itself. It was 1,000 editions or nothing He-Fans.

A big thank you to Toy Guru for pulling together a lot of the research and material as well as all the Mattel artists over the years for so generously giving of their imaginations to create lasting characters in the world of MOTU!

Long time fans and new comers alike will be sure to enjoy all of the surprises in store at SDCC!

See you in two weeks!

Matty

Oh man that sucks...I want one. It looks like a kick ass book. Maybe the can reprint it soon. Nice.
    People sleep peaceably at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

GRAR!! This is one of my biggest MOTU wants ever! Damn!
    Anyone going to SDCC that wants to pick me up one?

*cries*
    <--- See my avatar for my current feelings.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

Evil Master of Arcades Gamutstreet's Avatar
    :starts saving money for ebay:
    Always remember the dark days of 2004 with no new MOTU in sight...

Quote Originally Posted by Gamutstreet View Post
    :starts saving money for ebay:
    Ya me too. Just hope it wont be too much.
    People sleep peaceably at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Oy. Need to save even more money for August 3rd. That online traffic is gonna be a nightmare from He-Ro alone...

Is this what was announced earlier as the SDCC exclusive?

I would love one but only 1000? I am **** out of luck

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Wow. This is one of my MOTU dream items.

I think I'll be forking out on e-bay for this!!
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

I want one myself but lets just see IF it gets reprinted because I'm not able to go to the SDCC. Which of course it could be pricy at the show anyway.
    By the Power of Grey Skull!

One thousand copies! Are you kidding! This blows! I've supported everything Matty has done so far but this is beyond belief. Open this up to more fans Mattel! I live in Connecticut and have a job and life, and now extra money to fly to the West friggin coast to attend an overpriced convention. Man I'm mad about this, and I won't pay ridiculous reseller prices for this. If anyone starts a petition to get this more widely circulated I'll sign it, even though I know online petitions are about as effective as a rubber nail.
    Rant over.

OMG! Just 1000?!?! People are going to be asking for a kidney for this item on Ebay. I hope this gets reprinted very, very soon as I probably won't be able to afford something this scarce and this in demand!

Oh maaaan! You've gotta be kidding me. This item is too cool to limit to 1000.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I want one, i wonder what the price will be.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

Man this looks so cool! I want to sware though! I have pretty much zero chance of getting this, but I am glad it exists! Man I hope someone will post the concept art for the new movie, dam I am foaming at the mouth to see this. 1000 units, come one Mattel this really is harsh! Maybe there will be a re run in the future?
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Out of all the exclusives we've had thus far, I seriously think this book is one of the most important and should've been made available to everyone on He-Man.org.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Indie Toy Making Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    1000 copies, well there goes my chance to get it.

At the very least I hope Matty will post pics of whats in the book
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Fneh is not at all happy to hear he won't be able to get this book..
    Fneh's MOTUC wishlist:
    Spikor, MYP Marzo, Snake Armour He-Man, Stinkor
    Fneh's MOTUC needed list:
    King Grayskull, Beastman, Stratos head

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Out of all the exclusives we've had thus far, I seriously think this book is one of the most important and should've been made available to everyone on He-Man.org.
    I have to agree. This is one of the most asked for things since I can remember. I REALLY hope this gets reprinted because forget about getting any leftovers on Matty Collector. I don't even want to think of the price they will fetch on Evilbay

Who's going to SDCC again?

I'm serious. If you want the book, hook up with someone who is actually going.
    Send payment to them ahead of time, so that they can get the book for you.

And make sure it's someone you know and can trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I was thinking the same exact thing too. I mean come one...1000 copies?These guys at Mattel sure are sadistic.

Indie Toy Making Mod! markatisu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Who's going to SDCC again?

I'm serious. If you want the book, hook up with someone who is actually going.
    Send payment to them ahead of time, so that they can get the book for you.

And make sure it's someone you know and can trust.
    Do we even know the book price?
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Heroic Warrior
    Toyguru, I've been waiting for this for years, as have a lot of other fans... please tell me this is going to be available through mattycollector... I live in Belgium man for gods sake!

Is it just me or has Toy Guru/Matty Collector only been breaking bad news lately? Everything said in the last week has resulted in very negative comments

Is this any way to keep the collector community happy?

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    AWESOME NEWS, but seriously? 1000 copies? Why not 100?

this is something I've longed for too for YEARS. I have two hopes, to win the lotto tonight or tomorrow so I can afford the ebay prices, or for there to be a plan to release this on matty collector as a second edition later down the line, preferably hardcover.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure