Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated: Limited Edition MOTU ART BOOK at SDCC - Official Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by TechTrek View Post
    test ground for something like this shouldnt be a comic con, in my opinion.

shoot, drop this thing at Barnes and Noble, and tons of people that are not like us (he-man freaks) would pick this up on the pure fact that its a nestolgic (spelling) book.

i know that the HARD CORE fans are on here or at comic cons, but there are plenty of grown adults, i think, that would pick this book up at a book store cause of the colors, and the memories it brings. timeless.

this method of sending it only to sdcc is kind of lame (in my opinion)
    I firmly believe this sdcc book is to get a buzz going, it WILL sell out and I'm sure mattel WANTS MORE MONEY, so they'll do more printings sans numbers and embossing. it's cheaper for them, they sell it at the same price they have more profits, if the demand is high enough we'll see it off matty and at the book stores, as I said mattel is being very cautious as they venture into territory that they haven't been familiar with and back into things they haven't done for years. they said recently with the success of MOTUC we WILL see figures refreshed, why? because they love money, it's cheaper for them to sell figures that have all the tooling and molds paid for than it is for them to sell new figs, thus the profit margin goes up, it's the same with books except I think there's a higher margin for profit as printing costs and materials are far less than those of toys.

we should relax a bit, this panic mentality is what keeps the resellers pockets line, to paraphrase batman, "Toy collectors are a cowardly superstitious lot."
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

This is a SDCC limited edition, why dont we all just wait to see what their plans in the future are regarding this? Relax guys, Im sure this will get released later, Mattel KNOWS how much we all want this.
    COSTA RICA: NO ARTIFICIAL INGREDIENTS!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    I firmly believe this sdcc book is to get a buzz going, it WILL sell out and I'm sure mattel WANTS MORE MONEY, so they'll do more printings sans numbers and embossing. it's cheaper for them, they sell it at the same price they have more profits, if the demand is high enough we'll see it off matty and at the book stores, as I said mattel is being very cautious as they venture into territory that they haven't been familiar with and back into things they haven't done for years. they said recently with the success of MOTUC we WILL see figures refreshed, why? because they love money, it's cheaper for them to sell figures that have all the tooling and molds paid for than it is for them to sell new figs, thus the profit margin goes up, it's the same with books except I think there's a higher margin for profit as printing costs and materials are far less than those of toys.

we should relax a bit, this panic mentality is what keeps the resellers pockets line, to paraphrase batman, "Toy collectors are a cowardly superstitious lot."
    I was gonna post something half this good, instead I'll just say "here, here!!!" we'll all get this on a second, third or fourth printing, I'm sure. let's all be happy. but yeah, Tom Petty was right, "the waiting is the hardest.....part."

Yes, it stinks about the con only/limited printing, but you honestly think Mattel doesn't know they can make more $$$ by a Mattycollector/mainstream retail release? This book will be reprinted and available to all eventually. Just not with the extra bells & whistles.

The content is what matters most - NOT the initial limited availability.

And for the record, I WON'T be at SDCC to procure one for myself.....

I would like to tell everyone to calm down and say not to worry Mattel will definitely do a second printing but who knows how long that would take? I'm really REALLY upset over this. It is a kick in the face to everyone here that can not afford to go to the con. THIS IS WHERE THE LOYAL FANS ARE MATTEL! While some of them can afford to go to the cons THAT ISN'T ALL YOUR LOYAL FAN BASE! If Mattel does a second printing it should be a He-Man.org exclusive and then the third printing can be a normal general public one.

And why would anyone expect TG to actually post in this thread? Have you ever seen him post in any thread that has some negative talk to it? I haven't for sure unless I missed it. Besides if there is something in the works for a general release publishing he's not gonna come in and tell us that.
    Hey Super7 I'm looking forward to what you do for Classics and I'm awaiting these figures!

Spinwit, Gepple, Alcon, Meldoch, Krax, Kayo, Stridor, Kittrina, Melaktha, Drissi, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Vizar, Nocturna

NA DESERVES A MINI SUB!

My Facebook, check it out!

If someone does get the book could they put the pictures on here so at least we can all see the never seen before pictures or is that not allowed?

Common guys we all know that there is ALWAYS and exclusive and we know that not everyone gets one or two or whatever they want.

Personally I think having the art book is a cool idea. Would I like one? Yes. I think it woudl be fun to see. Will I get one...I aint holding my breath. Thats the way its done though. Sometimes we get things and sometimes we don't.

Maybe they will come out with another book. We dont know yet. Lets not get our knickers in a knot, please.
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisto69 View Post
    If someone does get the book could they put the pictures on here so at least we can all see the never seen before pictures or is that not allowed?
    Didn't ToyGuru say that Mattycollector.com was going to include pictures of all of the original toys and some classic art? Maybe everything in this book will be online eventually.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Is all the excessive hating on Mattel really necessary? I don't see how this is a slap in the face to fans when this book is made specifically for fans. There is no guarantee to anything in life. Even if 10,000 copies were made available, there would be some fans who either don't have a credit card or just flat out can't afford it. Is it fair to them? I mean, how far do you take this whole 'fairness' business?

Look, I sympathize with those who really want one but can't make it to San Diego. But Mattel didn't even have to make this book to begin with. I'm just thankful there's even going to be an art book to chase after in the first place! Do I wish there were being more produced? Of course! But with a choice between a world with no MOTU art book and a world with only 1000 MOTU artbooks, I'll definitely take the latter.

Plus, there's no way Mattel is not going to make more of these. They're bringing back all the sold out figures, there's no reason they won't do the same with this. So everyone just take a deep breath!

Besides, we don't know all the decisions that go on behind the scenes with things like this. For all we know, this is something the higher ups feel like is a risky venture, and they only allowed this many to be made to test the waters. If ToyGuru & co. can get a sell out, that's good for everyone because then they can go back to the bosses and show them that there is a market for things like this. Let's try not to be so kneejerk on these things and realize that there is always another side to the story. If Mattel didn't listen to the fans, there wouldn't even be a MOTU Classics line, much less an artbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Out of all the exclusives we've had thus far, I seriously think this book is one of the most important and should've been made available to everyone on He-Man.org.
    I wholeheartedly agree.

I'll have no chance at owning one. I wish it was a t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoward View Post
    But with a choice between a world with no MOTU art book and a world with only 1000 MOTU artbooks, I'll definitely take the latter.

Plus, there's no way Mattel is not going to make more of these. They're bringing back all the sold out figures, there's no reason they won't do the same with this. So everyone just take a deep breath!
    I agree that it's cool that it exists, but it stinks that something really cool that so many fans want will not be available to them.

Also, they have not "guaranteed" that all the sold out figures will be re-released. That remains to be seen. We here at he-man.org like to speculate on what Matty & Co. tell us...
    Last edited by PrinceAdam101; July 10, 2009 at 05:22pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Widget
    Making this exclusive makes me so mad at matty that I want to cry.

IMO this is an EPIC FAIL from Mattel
    This line wouldn't even made it this far without its fanbase. The fans all over the world who log on every 15th of the month.
    And now they make the wet dream of every MOTU fan a limited 1000 copy CC exclusive?

just epic fail....

With 2 copies per person, I'm glad to see they're at least trying to limit resellers. It is unfortunate that I won't get to be at SDCC, but those exclusives are what make it so special. Otherwise, SDCC would be an overgrown comic book shop. LOL I too am curious as to how much it will cost, but I'm not going to freak out if I don't get one.

Matty just posted this on Facebook

Updates on MOTU Art Book
    Today at 5:25pm
    We know a lot of fans are very excited about the Designed @ Mattel Vol. 1 book on MOTU being offered at SDCC. A few more details: The book will be softcover, 53 pages, with a numbered foil stamped ribbon across the cover. It will be $50.00 and limited to 2 per guest per line wait. It will have sections on all the major MOTU lines and a look at the future of the brand.

Now we know a lot of fans are asking why only 1,000 copies and will we ever reprint? The answer (at least for now) is that this was actually a number required. For a variety of legal reasons we were restricted to only create this book if we kept it as a limited edition. That was part of the bargain for getting to do the book itself. It was 1,000 editions or nothing He-Fans.

A big thank you to Toy Guru for pulling together a lot of the research and material as well as all the Mattel artists over the years for so generously giving of their imaginations to create lasting characters in the world of MOTU!

Long time fans and new comers alike will be sure to enjoy all of the surprises in store at SDCC!

See you in two weeks!

Matty
    *sigh*
    Last edited by Tallstar; July 10, 2009 at 05:35pm.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY the_ultimate_evil's Avatar
    you've got to be kidding me, "ohh don't worry the exclusive isn't a big thing" this kinda thing just causes fans to turn on a product
    And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
    Click to see my portfolio here
    my art blog with my latest pieces here
    my deviant art galleryhere
    all comments, criticisms and questions are welcome in my guestbook

If there isn't a reprint of this book, this will just be another thing that Mattel does that ticks me off. I mean come on, I live on the east coast. I can't be at SDCC.

Wow. I actually would want this & they are only making 1000 copies. Not cool.
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 6.5.17!!

Jafaristew...the guy that coined the term "200X."

If it makes you all feel any better I'm going to the con and probably won't be able to get one because at 1000 copies it will sell out on preview night. Bleh.
    Haikus are easy
    But sometimes they don't make sense
    Refrigerator

"If I were a vegetable I'd be a radish because I'm only kind of rad."

Heroic Warrior

sdcc motu book

Does it have pop-up pictures'

It sucks, but I will confess that is a pretty steep price. I hope the pics are super high quality.
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

Mattel speaks on LE MOTU ART Book

I'm creating a new thread, 'cause it looks like the update could get lost in the other one.

This is majorly depressing. Scans probably won't be allowed to be posted either.

Updates on MOTU Art Book
    Today at 5:25pm
    We know a lot of fans are very excited about the Designed @ Mattel Vol. 1 book on MOTU being offered at SDCC. A few more details: The book will be softcover, 53 pages, with a numbered foil stamped ribbon across the cover. It will be $50.00 and limited to 2 per guest per line wait. It will have sections on all the major MOTU lines and a look at the future of the brand.

Now we know a lot of fans are asking why only 1,000 copies and will we ever reprint? The answer (at least for now) is that this was actually a number required. For a variety of legal reasons we were restricted to only create this book if we kept it as a limited edition. That was part of the bargain for getting to do the book itself. It was 1,000 editions or nothing He-Fans.

A big thank you to Toy Guru for pulling together a lot of the research and material as well as all the Mattel artists over the years for so generously giving of their imaginations to create lasting characters in the world of MOTU!

Long time fans and new comers alike will be sure to enjoy all of the surprises in store at SDCC!

See you in two weeks!

Matty
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Yeah, this is basically the one thing I would get mad about being the exclusive item. Seriously. I've been asking for this for years and years and years. I'm glad they're doing it... I just wish they didn't feel the need to have a limited edition. We'll see what happens.

Oh, and the only thing more annoying then people being over dramatic are people who tell them not to be.

Masters Chronicles Host! Vinto-Man's Avatar
    Itll be scary to see how much that goes for on ebay as with it selling for $50, it wont be a two figure sum will it? it would be a great item to get and i hope people dont get ripped off. shame i dont live in the US or i would go to get one lol. Hope Mattel offer it to the fans who have supported the website through all its faults by putting this up for sale maybe for Christmas?
    Masters of the Universe Chronicles Podcast!

To listen to any show click here

To join the facebook page click here

To subscribe via Itunes click here

LOL - I wish we could go back in time and tell Mattel to fire their awful lawyers in the 80's.

Court Magician
    53 pages?

$50.00?

Wow...

That's an expensive pamphlet.