Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated: Limited Edition MOTU ART BOOK at SDCC - Official Discussion

That's AWESOME!

I hope I can get a copy by the time I get there Friday!!!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

It´s so sad. I want that since i started collecting again in 99 and they make only 1000.

"Sits in a corner Crying like a child who found out santa though he was a girl this year holding his brand new aerobics Barbie"
    MAN! 1,000 LE art book!!! I Beyond love the MOTU Art past and presant and here I am on the other side of the country wondering if I start walking now could I make it to SDCC and not die in the Process.
    I DEEPLY hope they reprint this for august 3rd. But I would Be indebted for life to anyone who could pick me one up....I know...eBay and darkness ahead.
    sigh. I just hope whoever does get one will scan the heck out of those never be fore seen bits and anything else that would make us smile.

"BLESS AND CURSE YOU MATTY ALL IN THE SAME BREATH!!!!"

Beyond my complaining though a freakin awesome exclusive!
    Find what you seek only when you look in the right places...

This is great news!

In a way, I'm actually more excited bout this book than the He-Ro exclusive.

Big thanks to Mattel for putting this together. Now get to work on that mini-comics reprint collection book.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    Do we even know the book price?
    Nope. It's great to have a book for MOTU, but this is very short notice...
    Hopefully the book isn't expensive.

Maybe they'll sell a hardcover version at SDCC, but they'll reprint as a paperback edition later--IF they run out of copies to sell at Mattycollector.

Or maybe a later version would be missing certain artwork or sections.

I personally find this more exciting that He-Ro! I have to get one of these bad boys!
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/c/Pixel-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Nope. It's great to have a book for MOTU, but this is very short notice...
    Hopefully the book isn't expensive.

Maybe they'll sell a hardcover version at SDCC, but they'll reprint as a paperback edition later--IF they run out of copies to sell at Mattycollector.

Or maybe a later version would be missing certain artwork or sections.
    the version they are selling is paperback (softcover) I hope the reprint WON'T be missing sections, just have it unnumbered and a different cover (preferably HC)
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

This book is something I might have wanted to get, even though I'm in MOTU mostly because of the figures.

But there is no chance me to get this book, so all I can do now is to hope it gets reprinted.

- Joni -

Is that not a kick in the face to the legions of fans that can`t get to SDCC!! I feel almost betrayed by this

Wow, I'd love to get this. Seems unlikely I will ever posess it though.

Man i wish i knew someone who could get this for me...oh well. Just hope for a reprint soon.
    People sleep peaceably at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Heroic Warrior
    I think I'd feel less ticked off about SDCC exclusives if I was ever able to get something similar at NYCC. But alas...

At any rate, I would love to get my hands on this, so hopefully there will be some kind of reprint down the road at some point. But I think Matty really needs to knock it off with these hard-to-get exclusives - there's going to be a lot of demand from the hard-core fan base that isn't going to have any way of getting it - save for ebay.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

I wish i could be there to get one. I would love to have one of those books

I would love to have one as well, but do not care about a signed one, or softcover or whatever.

If they do not bring it to mattycollector as e.g. HC or some sort that differs from SDCC and leave it by 1000 copies that is just toooooooooooo unfair to fans around the globe. What percentage can attend the show and how many want this book?

I cannot believe that the 1000 copies are all that get ever made!

I want one.

I hold the sword Fisto's Left Hand's Avatar
    Hey something I would have bought and enjoyed, but now will never ever have.

Uh...Thanks?
    Our goal is to make sure all MOTU collectors can get these new figures.
    -What the Fans Want to Know Round 3

Good trades: JohnnyTyler, tattoojunkie74

No Red Beast, We Riot! Whiplash7's Avatar
    I would think it would be released in a non-exclusive form down the road, guys. I wouldn't worry or spend a lot of money trying to get it.

I REALLY hope this doesn't sell out at SDCC! I WANT…no I NEED one of these books!!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Ok wait a minute. This was said to be a line for the fans of MOTU? Right? Then what is this only printing a thousand and only available at the con (if they don't sell out). Is this the way to reward the fans that have waited through your website problems over & over & over. The people that even though the economy is the worst it has ever been still will scrape up $20 for a figure. Now you take a book the the vast majority of others would love and only sell it to a select few who are lucky enough to be at the con. Wow this feels like a chase variant to me or a keldor. Way to keep the majority of fans from this line happy! Just my opinion and everybody has one.
    Last edited by joeyd; July 10, 2009 at 01:50pm.

There is no way that there will be left over copies to go on mattycollector haha.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    Ok wait a minute. This was said to be a line for the fans of MOTU? Right? Then what is this only printing a thousand and only available at the con (if they don't sell out. Is this the way to reward the fans that have waited through your website problems over & over & over. The people that even though the economy is the worst it has ever been still will scrape up $20 for a figure. Now you take a book the the vast majority of others would love and only sell it to a select few who are lucky enough to be at the con. Wow this feels like a chase variant to me or a keldor. Way to keep the majority of fans from this line happy! Just my opinion and everybody has one.
    We don't know if it'll be the last time we see the book. It could be re-released later on, with a hundred different ways to do it. In different prints.

It could be an experiment to measure the buzz on such products. They did say it was merely the first of those kind of books. If it sells out or does super well, we might see it on Mattycollector in greater numbers.

It can't be ridiculously expensive if they expect to sell out at the show. And they wouldn't say that, nor mention selling any extras afterwards, if they had any intent to re-release it later in some shape or form.

And what's with the limit of TWO per person accompanying what is such a low run to begin with? Just trying to encourage a sell-out at the show, hoping that resellers get them for ebay... or what??? Because that now guarantees that the big collectible stores will have mass amounts of employees there grabbing 2 each for later sale.

The fact that those of us not able to attend SDCC this year - for whatever reason - will now have no chance to own one of these "must-own" books (other than getting one at an inflated price on ebay, but even those auctions will be scarce with only 1000 copies total) is not funny.

I'm one of those who would pay a large amount for this book, but may never get a chance to own one. It's extremely irritating to all of us loyal fans that are willing to keep putting money in Mattel's pockets. A bit of a joke, really.

ME =
    Last edited by SirBushnell; July 10, 2009 at 01:59pm.

SirBushnell SPEAKS!

Get ready for a future with a magical blend of science fiction and fantasy. A brand new legend. A whole new war.
    It's coming...

Well on the one hand I'm thrilled they're doing this book but on the other hand I bummed that I won't be able to get it.

Hopefully they'll release a non-SDCC version on Matty in the near future for those of us who can't get go to SDCC

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    We don't know if it'll be the last time we see the book. It could be re-released later on, with a hundred different ways to do it. In different prints.

It could be an experiment to measure the buzz on such products. They did say it was merely the first of those kind of books. If it sells out or does super well, we might see it on Mattycollector in greater numbers.
    exactly, they said this is the first in a series of Designed @ Mattel books, SDCC is them testing the waters and (no doubt it WILL sell out) then the higher ups will greenlight making more for the website, remember Mattel is cautiously changing the way they see themselves, moving (slowly) past what they once were. they are focusing more on adult collectors, they are branching out into entertainment again and now they are getting back into publishing. it's a good sign they are moving too cautiously for my tastes but slow motion is better than no motion right?
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

HOW HARD is it to produce say, 10,000 copies of this book, compared to 1,000??? This is not like a figure production run where things are much more expensive. These books should be relatively easy to produce, but instead Mattel is producing this item in extremely limited quantities and letting the hyenas get after them! VERY frustrating.

Evil Master of Arcades Gamutstreet's Avatar
    IF they sell out at SDCC? lol
    Always remember the dark days of 2004 with no new MOTU in sight...