Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated: Limited Edition MOTU ART BOOK at SDCC - Official Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    We don't know if it'll be the last time we see the book. It could be re-released later on, with a hundred different ways to do it. In different prints.

It could be an experiment to measure the buzz on such products. They did say it was merely the first of those kind of books. If it sells out or does super well, we might see it on Mattycollector in greater numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    exactly, they said this is the first in a series of Designed @ Mattel books, SDCC is them testing the waters and (no doubt it WILL sell out) then the higher ups will greenlight making more for the website, remember Mattel is cautiously changing the way they see themselves, moving (slowly) past what they once were. they are focusing more on adult collectors, they are branching out into entertainment again and now they are getting back into publishing. it's a good sign they are moving too cautiously for my tastes but slow motion is better than no motion right?
    I hope you´re right......but....... why not ?

I have wished for one of these for years....wish I knew how much it was going to be so I know how much to send with my friend...

Sallah

Heroic Warrior
    Well, that is something special! I would love to have one myself. Too bad I'm not going. With only 1,000 in print, it will be even hard to get it on e-bay.

Bang your head!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    Is that not a kick in the face to the legions of fans that can`t get to SDCC!! I feel almost betrayed by this
    I feel 50/50 on this.
    Yeah, it is a bit of a kick. We'll see with the ammount that shows up on ebay. They only offered 1,000. Thats the same ammount of Commemorative Series 10 packs that were made, and you hardly see those on ebay. So a good ammount may still fall in the hands of MOTU fans. Or toy fans in general.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    Ok wait a minute. This was said to be a line for the fans of MOTU? Right? Then what is this only printing a thousand and only available at the con (if they don't sell out). Is this the way to reward the fans that have waited through your website problems over & over & over. The people that even though the economy is the worst it has ever been still will scrape up $20 for a figure. Now you take a book the the vast majority of others would love and only sell it to a select few who are lucky enough to be at the con. Wow this feels like a chase variant to me or a keldor. Way to keep the majority of fans from this line happy! Just my opinion and everybody has one.
    We don't know if it'll be the last time we see the book. It could be re-released later on, with a hundred different ways to do it. In different prints.

It could be an experiment to measure the buzz on such products. They did say it was merely the first of those kind of books. If it sells out or does super well, we might see it on Mattycollector in greater numbers.
    Ditto. This may just be a test book. Who knows. I wanna say it is, and there may be an ad in it saying "look for the offical edition this fall" or whatever.
    But I think we may see it released sometime soon ...
    My art blog:
    http://jeremypeerboom.blogspot.com/

The Power and Honor Foundation:
    http://www.powerandhonor.org/

I think if Toy Guru is going to post on a thread again before SDCC it should be this one. I think he needs to come here and throw everyone a bone

Quote Originally Posted by LookAway View Post
    I was thinking the same exact thing too. I mean come one...1000 copies?These guys at Mattel sure are sadistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Man54 View Post
    I have to agree. This is one of the most asked for things since I can remember. I REALLY hope this gets reprinted because forget about getting any leftovers on Matty Collector. I don't even want to think of the price they will fetch on Evilbay
    Yeah, not to sound smug, but I feel like we all deserve to see this book first, since we're the ones 'living it' day in and day out (some of us for years); gone through all the ups and downs and supported MOTU/POP.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Hopefully there will be a reprint of this at some point. If not, then this is a big slap in the face to the fans that cannot attend SDCC but would love to own this book.

I do feel there will not be any left, but also that Mattel is, like someone else mentioned, testing the waters and will release an unlimited version later.

Mattel please don't make me feel stupid...
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    Man I have been wanting something like this for years. I collected boxed MOTU items just for the vintage artwork. 1000 copies is ridiculous. Thinking of going to SDCC now... Cool news, but bittersweet.

No Red Beast, We Riot! Whiplash7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lookie View Post
    I do feel there will not be any left, but also that Mattel is, like someone else mentioned, testing the waters and will release an unlimited version later.
    I would bet a lot of money on it. People need to take a few deep breaths.

There's no way they would go to the trouble of producing an art book of this type and only make 1000 copies, and not release it in a non-exclusive print later on. Because that would be...well, insane.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    The very first place we get them is SDCC. Those copies will have embossed seals and ribbons with the book number. But it will probably not be the last place.

We'll probably get the second printing...maybe like a more generalized release.

I'm not worried about this at all, because it would be crazy not to release this in some form later on.

(Heck, half the really good pictures will probably be all over the net that night...)

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Yeah, not to sound smug, but I feel like we all deserve to see this book first, since we're the ones 'living it' day in and day out (some of us for years); gone through all the ups and downs and supported MOTU/POP.
    This is our "Gleek".

I hold the sword Fisto's Left Hand's Avatar
    Even if we will get a 2nd printing for everyone else, it's doubtful that TG is going to come on say that here before SDCC. Mainly cause if everyone knows they can get it later, they won't buy it at the booth.
    Our goal is to make sure all MOTU collectors can get these new figures.
    -What the Fans Want to Know Round 3

Good trades: JohnnyTyler, tattoojunkie74

This is our "Gleek".
    Sorry to any DCUC fans but I found this funny

I would love one of these. I always dug the artwork for MOTU. But, since I am not going to SDCC and not paying exorbitant e-bay prices, I can do nothing but dream about it. I do hope they re-release this to the general public, even if it is just through Mattycollector.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisto's Left Hand View Post
    Even if we will get a 2nd printing for everyone else, it's doubtful that TG is going to come on say that here before SDCC. Mainly cause if everyone knows they can get it later, they won't buy it at the booth.
    1000 copies still wouldn't go far even if TG did say it would have a regular release

It will still be an exclusive and still be sought after from collectors

Heroic Warrior
    You have all these people on the board who would love to GIVE YOU THEIR MONEY for this book. But instead you're going to have these people paying 5X as much on ebay. All that mark up will be some re-sellers and not yours.

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    YEEESSS!! A MotU Art-book! This is awesome!

But... NOOOOOooo!! Why does it have to come now, when I've got no money to buy it with??

I'm not worried about the low number tho, it's a special first edition to test the waters, it'll be back again. Count on it.

Wow, this is a double edged sword if I ever saw one.

This is absolutely fantastic news, as well as something that I have been waiting for for years on end. I love looking at concept art and such; I can’t get enough of that stuff. The idea that it will also contain concept artwork from the new film just makes me even more excited.

Now for the negativity.

Too bad anyone outside the US are gonna find it nigh impossible to get their hands on this. Yep, no surprise, Mattel has screwed over the non-American MOTU fans.

Again.

I'm sure their will be a second unnumbered printing, hopefully in hardback.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

Heroic Warrior
    Who's going to SDCC again?

I'm serious. If you want the book, hook up with someone who is actually going.
    Send payment to them ahead of time, so that they can get the book for you.

And make sure it's someone you know and can trust.

I need this book, I will help you move a body.............................................. ...............

I'm not too bent out of shape over this. I'm glad it's coming out but it will not leave a gaping hole in my collections if I don't get it.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Okay, I've been getting PMs about getting a book for someone here.
    It's not going to happen.

I'm gonna feel lucky to even get one for myself, and I'm not standing in line twice for it.

IF I get an extra while I'm there, it will be at my discression as to who I'd give/sell it to.

Please do not PM me about it. The answer will be no.

I don't mean to be rude, just being realistic.

Again, I really hope I can just get one for myself, I won't be there until Friday.
    I like many of you have long awaited something like this, I love the fact that they're doing it. I'm sure it'll sell out, and we can all hope for a second, larger printing at some point.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Heroic Warrior
    I have waited for this to come along for SOOOOOOO long...i hope i can get 1
    "A Race 2 What And Where We Going?
    We In The Same Boat
    But Eye'M The Only One Rowin
    Last Time Eye Checked U Were Sleepin'
    …but U Can Call Me A Dreamer 2"

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar

test ground?

test ground for something like this shouldnt be a comic con, in my opinion.

shoot, drop this thing at Barnes and Noble, and tons of people that are not like us (he-man freaks) would pick this up on the pure fact that its a nestolgic (spelling) book.

i know that the HARD CORE fans are on here or at comic cons, but there are plenty of grown adults, i think, that would pick this book up at a book store cause of the colors, and the memories it brings. timeless.

this method of sending it only to sdcc is kind of lame (in my opinion)

1000 copies is nowhere near enough, I reckon they could make 5 times as many and still sell out.

This is the kind of item that should be available for every fan, not just those lucky enough to attend SDCC.

Heroic Warrior
    The very first place we get them is SDCC. Those copies will have embossed seals and ribbons with the book number. But it will probably not be the last place.

We'll probably get the second printing...maybe like a more generalized release.

I'm not worried about this at all, because it would be crazy not to release this in some form later on.

(Heck, half the really good pictures will probably be all over the net that night...)

This is our "Gleek".
    The first place they'll be available is San Diego Comic-Con. Purchases will be limited to two per guest, per wait in line.

Cool this is awesome.. we get a boook and it says (right above) "The FIRST PLACE they'll be available is SDCC and u know they are gonna make more..

Im getting this book I love MOTU art!