Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: July 14th Poll results! Interesting results; please discuss!!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Boy View Post
    Well, it looks like the chances of mini-comics appearing now are slim to none. If two-thirds of the fans prefer something else (in this case, another head) then it sends the message to Mattel that perhaps we aren't as keen on mini-comics as we first claimed.
    I think it sets a priority that we'd want extra heads first, before mini-comics. I think everyone wants mini-comics, but if it were a choice between heads and mini-comics, heads won.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    See what I mean?

Not just heads people.

It would be Tri-Klops without the knives on his back, without the Doomseeker, without the ring.

MAA without all the gear on his back.

Hordak without his bat buddy and staff.

So on.

I understand that - I just don't get it. That's why I'm interested to see the head-usage split. What if everyone is saying that they want multiple heads, but 90% of MerMan owners are using he cardback head?

I always got the impression that the majority of the fans valued the mini-comics as a must-have. These poll results certainly do not suggest that. IMO, if the hard-core audience aren't all that passionate, then there's next to zero chance of mini-comics ever returning.

Widget
    The results of the fourth poll suggest to me that fans that already have a MOTUC He-Man MIB are more concerned with it being readily apparent that they have the first run of the figure. Rather than making improvements to a figure they already have and likely don't want to have to repurchase.

A poll to determine how many people here have which figures would be interesting.

I voted for mini-comics, but I'll gladly give up the mini-comics for additional tooling and eventual full size graphic novels.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bolty-Neck View Post
    I don't foresee Mattel making any changes to their policy as a result of this poll. Democracy = one person, one vote, but Mattel isn't a democracy, and if I'm buying one figure and Toy Reseller Joe next to me is buying ten, Mattel earns ten times as much revenue from Joe as from me, so even if more than 50 percent of fans agree with an opinion I might have that the 10-figure limit should be scaled back to a smaller limit, and customers like Joe are of the opinion that it should not be scaled back, then his opinion no doubt counts 10 times more than mine.
    But there's also the people voting that bought from Joe or didn't get a figure because Matty sold out due to all the Joes buying ten figures. Basically, given the rapid sellouts at Matty and the premiums Joe earns on his resales, his slot(s) would quickly be refilled by someone else.
    Last edited by BriGuy; July 14, 2009 at 11:13pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BriGuy View Post
    But there's also the people voting that bought from Joe or didn't get a figure because Matty sold out due to all the Joes buying ten figures. Basically, given the rapid sellouts at Matty and the premiums Joe earns on his resales, his slot(s) would quickly be refilled by someone else.
    Problem with that is Mattel doesn't want the sale from 1 person or another. They want BOTH. Mattel has no reason to dislike re-sellers. A sale's a sale, and the ebay sales are actually a form of promotion for their product. It doesn't make any sense for Mattel to purposely limit their own sales, particularly since the upcoming prescriptions make that pointless.

Well, it looks like the chances of mini-comics appearing now are slim to none. If two-thirds of the fans prefer something else (in this case, another head) then it sends the message to Mattel that perhaps we aren't as keen on mini-comics as we first claimed.

Personally, I think that the mini-comics were such an important part of original MoTU.

Regarding the characters with multiple heads (MerMan, MAA), I would love to know the split of head-usage. How many people will give their MAA a moustache and how many will not???

I'd voted mini-comics over extra heads now that Mer-Man and Man-At-Arms have been made, but I really want a regular comic series based on MOTUC most of all!

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    See what I mean?

Not just heads people.

It would be Tri-Klops without the knives on his back, without the Doomseeker, without the ring.

MAA without all the gear on his back.

Hordak without his bat buddy and staff.

So on.
    Of all the extras, 2 heads for Mer-Man & Man-At-Arms and the classic glow-in-the-dark ring are the only ones I want. Everything else is just unnecessary to me.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; July 15, 2009 at 03:48am.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Super He-Man View Post
    Problem with that is Mattel doesn't want the sale from 1 person or another. They want BOTH. Mattel has no reason to dislike re-sellers. A sale's a sale, and the ebay sales are actually a form of promotion for their product. It doesn't make any sense for Mattel to purposely limit their own sales, particularly since the upcoming prescriptions make that pointless.
    They can't have both. If people buy from Matty, then they won't buy from the resellers and vice versa. If they limit the number of items presumably going to resellers, then they have more direct customers. Which is more traffic to their site and more of a chance to entice customers to buy other products. They're not limiting their sales at all, they're just eliminating the middle man. My point is there's no risk in making the resellers unhappy. If they go away, those orders will immediately be filled by end consumers. They're not reaching anyone that Matty can't reach themselves. There's no benefit to Matty in selling to a reseller over an end consumer. Which is why, if anything, a reseller's "vote" should carry less weight in any poll than an end user's because it's the end user that ultimately determines the demand for the product.

Heroic Warrior
    King Grayskull - 5000
    He-Man - 10,000
    Beast Man - 7,500
    Skeletor - 10,000
    Stratos - 7,500
    Faker - 7,500 (we estimate 5000 were taking to NYCC to match what was taken to SDCC for King Grayskull)
    Mer-Man - 15,000 (this is where Mattel said they had doubled numbers)
    Zodac - 15,000
    Hordak - 15,000 (Mattel stated that the numbers of Hordak were not hirer than previous figures)

Wow! That's not very many figures being produced. Kind of scary. I just introduced the line to a few friends of mine. They had no idea that Mattel was still promoting He-Man. Now, they're hooked on the line.

I think the run on each of these figures was higher.

$20 X 15,000 only equals = $300,000... that's nothing for Mattel...

Subtract the cost of tooling, promotion, packaging, design, etc. and you're left in the red.

I also think these polls are totally innacurate. The amount of votes is actually small... particularly on the 4-answer "Which brand is most important" question.

Plus, you could vote as many times as you wanted. I voted twice (MOTU, POP, 200X, NA). I would be willing to bet that some fans (especially 200X'ers) would be dedicated enough to vote 20 times or more. It wouldn't take much time, and it would be worth it for them. 200X recently took a knock in the Q&A's (even though I cannot understand HOW 200X fans can be unhappy, they have Mer Man's head & trident, Hordak's staff, He-Man's tech sword, Tri-Klops' Doomseeker, Teela's Sword, Webstor's extra legs, and who knows what else coming... that's WAY more than any POP or NA fans have been given this year). Those fans, theoretically, probably SHOULD have voted more than a few times, just to combat the comments Mattel made regarding 200X.
    A Want List: Starburst She-Ra, Ghost, Mini Comic Tri-Klops, Mini-Comic/Vintage Toy costume Catra, The Enchantress, Kayo, Joya, Lt. Andra, Storm, Twiggets, Melaktha, Sagitar, Spirit, Kothos, Master Sebrian, Weapons Paks, Fuerza T figures, 200X Sorceress, King Miro, Dree-Elle & Uncle Montork.

Filmation Variants: She-Ra, Bow, Mantenna, Leech, Entrapta, Grizzlor, Prince Adam, Glimmer, Adora

Heroic Warrior
    Good point.

I understand that - I just don't get it. That's why I'm interested to see the head-usage split. What if everyone is saying that they want multiple heads, but 90% of MerMan owners are using he cardback head?
    But what does that matter if we're not just talking about extra heads for certain, but tooling in general for ALL the figures?

I always got the impression that the majority of the fans valued the mini-comics as a must-have. These poll results certainly do not suggest that. IMO, if the hard-core audience aren't all that passionate, then there's next to zero chance of mini-comics ever returning.
    It's not that people don't want mini-comics.
    It's that given the limited budget of MOTUC (so far) most fans will prioritize making the figure itself as cool as possible.
    Ymmv, but most fans would say accessories and new parts make the figures cooler than mini-comics do.

Hopefully we'll get to the point where there can be both: fully tricked out figures AND mini-comics.

Quote Originally Posted by BriGuy View Post
    You would've had a better argument 6 months ago.
    The multitudes of resellers making huge profits on recent MOTUC releases just aren't there.

It seems with word spreading, rereleases confirmed, and higher production numbers, that far more of these figures are getting into fans' hands straight from Matty compared to some of the earlier releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Of all the extras, 2 heads for Mer-Man & Man-At-Arms and the classic glow-in-the-dark ring are the only ones I want. Everything else is just unnecessary to me.
    Well for me, I couldn't be happier that you're in the minority with that view.
    I LOVE all the extras that have been coming with the newer figures, and can't wait to see what other surprises the 4H have cookin'!

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Plus, you could vote as many times as you wanted.
    If you vote more than once you overwrite your previous vote. The last one counts.
    JVS3 can probably confirm this. I asked this question for a previous poll.

AND I WANT LION-O EXTRA HEAD

Plus, you could vote as many times as you wanted. I voted twice (MOTU, POP, 200X, NA).
    The last user is correct.
    Your previous vote was overwritten.
    You could only vote once.

Yep, you can only vote one time.

Also,

$20 X 15,000 only equals = $300,000... that's nothing for Mattel...

Subtract the cost of tooling, promotion, packaging, design, etc. and you're left in the red.
    I disagree 100%.

Please check out this post I made earlier about potential costs involved.

I have no doubt Mattel is turning a profit on 15K units.

The multitudes of resellers making huge profits on recent MOTUC releases just aren't there.

It seems with word spreading, rereleases confirmed, and higher production numbers, that far more of these figures are getting into fans' hands straight from Matty compared to some of the earlier releases.
    They still are there depending on where you are. Maybe in the US market on Ebay.com they're drying up, but try getting a seller that ships internationally and that starting price immediately doubles.

It's those of us from different parts of the world that are getting hit here. Not only do we have to deal with resellers that jack the prices way up, but you've also got to deal with sellers who like to jack up shipping prices so you have to play a game of who sells for the cheapest, as not all sellers state the shipping costs before you bid, and those are generally the ones that end up charging the highest costs.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeofEternia View Post
    It's those of us from different parts of the world that are getting hit here.
    Fair enough, but aren't international fans some of the most vocal about keeping the limit at 10 so they can buddy up on orders?

Widget

I'm not really sure how that hurts my argument. If you're saying resellers are less and less a factor, that would only support my position.

Fair enough, but aren't international fans some of the most vocal about keeping the limit at 10 so they can buddy up on orders?

Not speaking for all, but this international fan would like to see the limit lowered, so I can get my one figure!
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

With a sellout in a couple hours for Hordak, and 40 minutes for MAA,
    I'd say it's safe to say Mattel can definitely lower the limit from 10 to something smaller to insure more people get them.

Besides, they are the one who claimed most fans only order 3 or 4 (I forgot the exact number)
    So lowering it shouldn't hurt at all.

I still think the limit should be adjusted by Shipping country.
    I KNOW it's possible to program such an option.
    10 for outside US,
    5 inside US.
    It would just automatically adjust in the shopping cart and then prompt the customer once the shipping address is entered.
    It can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    With a sellout in a couple hours for Hordak, and 40 minutes for MAA,
    I'd say it's safe to say Mattel can definitely lower the limit from 10 to something smaller to insure more people get them.

Besides, they are the one who claimed most fans only order 3 or 4 (I forgot the exact number)
    So lowering it shouldn't hurt at all.
    But Val, consider this please: I can make and sell 100 Z-Man toys, and if 50 people buy one apiece, and five more people buy ten apiece, then I've sold half my Z-Man toys to those five individuals, and yet I can go online and say that less than 10% of buyers are making large orders, and over 90% are making small orders. By making such a statement, I'm downplaying how important those five people are to me, and yet they're very important to my business, as they account for half my sales volume. I assume Matty is in a similar situation, and I don't blame them for making public only that information that relates to how the ratio of customers breaks down while saying nothing about how the ratio of their volume breaks down between large orders and small orders.

I still don't imagine that Matty will have a compelling reason to enact a smaller order limit. Even the fast sell-out of Man-at-Arms just means that Man-at-Arms wasn't made in sufficient supply to meet demand, which is not news of course. Matty no doubt still wants to have the patronage of those large-order buyers regardless of how few in number they happen to be.
    Still remembers we paid excessive shipping on Battleground Teela. Is confident Matty will resolve the issue and make it right for us.

I agree with the majority in all of the posts, still bummed about the mini comics.

I think mattel should keep the limit at ten, just keep tweaking the production numbers up slowly like they have been and then issue 2nd runs as needed.
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Plus, you could vote as many times as you wanted. I voted twice (MOTU, POP, 200X, NA). I would be willing to bet that some fans (especially 200X'ers) would be dedicated enough to vote 20 times or more. It wouldn't take much time, and it would be worth it for them.
    All the poll did was prove that people LIKE 200X. It gets knocked around alot because some fans are satisfied with the classic based stuff coming out and aren't missing 200X, unlike the hardcore 200X fans who would rather have the 200X versions of the characters.

200X recently took a knock in the Q&A's (even though I cannot understand HOW 200X fans can be unhappy, they have Mer Man's head & trident, Hordak's staff, He-Man's tech sword, Tri-Klops' Doomseeker, Teela's Sword, Webstor's extra legs, and who knows what else coming... that's WAY more than any POP or NA fans have been given this year).
    An accessory is not a figure. MOTUC Skeletor still isn't the version of Skeletor that I'd like. Besides, I would have been satisfied to know if 200X would have been coming to MOTUC--it didn't need to be immediate.

As for NA and POP, at least those eras are in MOTUC from the beginning (So is 200X...I'm referring to 200X versions of the original characters using MOTUC bucks). For those eras, it's not an "if", it's a "when". You can say with confidence that there will be a She-Ra figure. You can't say that with a 200X version of Buzz-Off.

Those fans, theoretically, probably SHOULD have voted more than a few times, just to combat the comments Mattel made regarding 200X.
    They don't need to.

The 200X fans tried to get Mattel to change their minds about inclusion in MOTUC with a year long petition.

They didn't bite.

The end.

While many fans were not surprised at 200X's status in MOTUC (despite TG saying otherwise at times), it doesn't mean that everyone hates it.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; July 16, 2009 at 04:25pm.

My only fear with lowering the limit is what if it's not enough?

What if they still sell out in less than an hour? Do they lower it again?

Do they tell me because I live in the US, I should only be allowed to order 2? Then an outfit like BBTS is still going to end up with way more than 10 figures to re-sell, while I won't be able to order for my buddy who can't always be online on sale dates.

If Toyguru is to be believed (we have no reason not to believe him), not many people are ordering 10 to begin with, so are there really going to be that many more people getting figures that are missing out now?

I think the solution is still to continue to bump production up. I also think until the hype and re-seller interest decreases, we won't get an accurate picture. So, it's sort of a catch-22 right now with producing enough, managing sellouts, and accurately upping production.

I think they've said that starting with next months' TRIKLOPS release, the production number was bumped up. They are trying to have supply meet demand. Regardless, it is becoming apparent that they have a runaway hit on their hands!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    If Toyguru is to be believed (we have no reason not to believe him), not many people are ordering 10 to begin with, so are there really going to be that many more people getting figures that are missing out now?
    Toyguru is going to say what Mattel legal tells him he can say and what will not upset fans. I'm not saying he is lying, but there is always at least two ways to tell a story. It depends on who your audience is how you spin, I mean tell, it.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection