Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blast-Attak... would they have to change his back-story?

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Blast-Attak... would they have to change his back-story?

I have a feeling that such an action-feature heavy (and also relatively unknown) character such as Blast-Attak is not likely in the foreseeable future, but...

If Matty ever release a MOTUC Blast-Attak, do you think they would have to change his back-story?

This has already been covered on both the Vintage and 200x forums to some extent, so sorry if I'm covering old ground, but a figure who "blows himself up to injure and destroy enemies around him" - I'm not sure how well that would sit in today’s suicide bomber-weary society.

Then again, as it is an 'adult collector' line, maybe they would be okay with it. I don't know... I just can't seeing him having being the same as in his vintage form.

Thoughts?
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Heroic Warrior
    I always thought he rocked! I hope he is, in fact, in the future of MOTUC. I'm not sure of his back story, but I wouldn't think they'd have to change it too much.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    maybe if they made him have the ability to emit a sonic boom, that incapacitates foes, but doesnt actually explode him. But by using a shock wave to blow people backwards etc? (even shatter bones with the right intensity. )

Just an idea!
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Heroic Warrior
    ajac, that would be awesome!

I like ajac's idea too, I could totally see that. I never was totally into the action feature of the original anyway so the change wouldn't bother me much. I could see how they might want to change him though.
    Wanted: Episode 40 Comic.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by enlightenedbray View Post
    ajac, that would be awesome!
    Aw Thanks guys! I always felt sorry for Blast attack, he was one of the last figs I bought in the 80's, and his only ability was to fall into two pieces! poor guy! (plus his face always looked really miserable and sad!lol)

And on the sonic boom/shock wave concept, maybe he has to recharge before a 2nd blast, and thats why the timer is on his chest!
    Last edited by Staff Of Ka; July 20, 2009 at 08:59am.
    THE LINK BELOW IS THE TIME THE NEXT MOTUC FIGURE GO'S ON SALE!

http://www.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5

[/CENTER]

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Nah...

Just use the only backstory he has...from STAR comics.

He's a rowdy warrior that Skeletor "recruited" from another world or dimension who can split himself in two (no explosion) and fight two people at the same time. He wasn't a robot, but a cyborg who was an Evil Warrior. As soon as he was summoned, he battled Ninjor who was also summoned at the same time.

Eh, I say keep his action-feature the same. I don't care if anyone is offended. Blast-Attak shouldn't have to change for anyone.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

IMO Keep Feature and Story. Sorry but I am getting sick about people being so sesitive over stuff.
    Although we probably won't see him have his feature anyway.

As a kid He-man figures were out of the local market for awhile when I saw this figure in a big bin of random MOTU figures at a local aldi store. I dug all through it and I found the three movie figures plus Snakeface. But I had no money. So I saved for a week and returned with every intention of getting Snakeface (who I had never heard of)!

But then I saw him. Blast-Attack. A robot guy who broke in two and I fell in love.

Needless to say, I never owned the movie figures or Snakeface back in the 80s. So I like Blast Attack. I like the idea that MYP was probably going to go with make MAA design him while under King Hiss's spell. So I like my Blast Attack with a snakeman logo please.

As for his power, it's a little campy. But I'll like him either way he appears in the MOTUC line!

All though if he does come with powers more like Marvel's Shocker as mentioned above that might work out better in terms of fitting into the story in any logical sense. But then again...He-man characters have never had much logic before...
    Last edited by davidlogan; July 20, 2009 at 06:09pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    I have a feeling that such an action-feature heavy (and also relatively unknown) character such as Blast-Attak is not likely in the foreseeable future, but...

If Matty ever release a MOTUC Blast-Attak, do you think they would have to change his back-story?

This has already been covered on both the Vintage and 200x forums to some extent, so sorry if I'm covering old ground, but a figure who "blows himself up to injure and destroy enemies around him" - I'm not sure how well that would sit in today’s suicide bomber-weary society.

Then again, as it is an 'adult collector' line, maybe they would be okay with it. I don't know... I just can't seeing him having being the same as in his vintage form.

Thoughts?
    TG said at the beginning that theres more than 200 characters that Mattel wants to release, I`m guessing that includes the entire vintage line including Blast Attack

Heroic Warrior
    Blast Attak
    Evil Eternian Pr0n Star

I say keep him the same. I just think that the emphasis of his action-feature should be shifted from blasting foes to blasting walls and barriers and such, making him more in line as a tool for demolition, as opposed to being a suicide bomber. I do believe in being socially conscious, even though we are adults.
    – No comment.

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    TG said at the beginning that theres more than 200 characters that Mattel wants to release, I`m guessing that includes the entire vintage line including Blast Attack
    Yeah I know that, but my point was-... oh nevermind
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post

Needless to say, I never owned the movie figures or Snakeface back in the 80s. So I like Blast Attack. I like the idea that MYP was probably going to go with make MAA design him while under King Hiss's spell. So I like my Blast Attack with a snakeman logo please.
    I like this origin the best. It explains & compliments the classic mini-comic story. I think he should have a snake logo too! The Snake Men need all the help they can get.

I actually never got Blast Attack (I went with Mosquitor, and Scare Glow instead), so I would love to get an updated one.

I like Ajac71's idea of having him emit sonic booms. It's not far from his vintage 'power' and should keep everyone happy. Also, it shouldn't require an action feature (just imagination).
    ~jay firestorm~

Heroic Warrior
    It doesn't bother me, because, funnily enough, I can understand the difference between fantasy and reality, but somehow I think a character who is basically a (non)suicide bomber might have a tough time getting past the infamous Mattel Legal team...then again with Matty who can tell?

That said, Ajac71's idea above would seem like a pretty reasonable update, if an updating of the character was needed in order for him to be produced, while still keeping the core concept of the character alive to some fashion. Guess we'll have to wait (quite a while, probably) and see...

If Marvel Comics can have the exploding supervillain Nitro who killed 600 children in a school and kicked off Civil War, then we can have Blast Attak in an Adult Collector line who hasn't killed anyone.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    If Marvel Comics can have the exploding supervillain Nitro who killed 600 children in a school and kicked off Civil War, then we can have Blast Attak in an Adult Collector line who hasn't killed anyone.
    Just curious, but has there ever been a Nitro action figure?

Comics can get away with a lot of things that a toyline can't though, or at least a toyline that wants to maintain its image and all-ages appeal anyhow. And I suspect, especially in relation to a character that isn't seen as all that popular or particularly important anyway...

That said, who knows. I mean there have been figures of characters like DC's Doctor Light, and he's portrayed in recent comics continuity as a rather sadistic rapist, so...

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    You know, you actually have a good argument there.
    Wanted: Episode 40 Comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    You know, you actually have a good argument there.
    Especially because there is a warning on the Matty site which says that you must be 18 or over to purchase.

If 'adults' can't deal with the idea of an 'evil' suicide bomber there are bigger issues to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge Hammer! View Post
    Just curious, but has there ever been a Nitro action figure?
    Nope. Not to my knowledge.

Comics can get away with a lot of things that a toyline can't though, or at least a toyline that wants to maintain its image and all-ages appeal anyhow. And I suspect, especially in relation to a character that isn't seen as all that popular or particularly important anyway...
    So do most superhero comic books. Even Wolverine is marketed toward kids. Hell, even the Punisher who kills criminals or the Hulk (Greg Pak be damned) who destroys cities when he gets angry.

The reason I chose Nitro is because he killed Captain Mar-vell and kicked off Civil War, the events that led to the modern Marvel age. So he's never been a bigger character.

That said, who knows. I mean there have been figures of characters like DC's Doctor Light, and he's portrayed in recent comics continuity as a rather sadistic rapist, so...
    LOL, we have figures of Master Chief who kills hundreds of aliens...we even have COBRA from G.I. Joe who actually ARE terrorists.

I dunno why Mattel got so crazy about Lobo or Vertigo characters...Silver Surfer and Galactus destroy galaxies and everyone in them...so does Phoenix and she has a 12" figure sitting at the local TRU.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Eh, I say keep his action-feature the same. I don't care if anyone is offended. Blast-Attak shouldn't have to change for anyone.
    Amen. Too much of the world today (our US of A in particular) is obsessed with the non-existent right to not be offended. I understand the thought behind it, but he's not really a "suicide" bomber, anyhow, is he? He gets put back together every time! He's more like...a lucky version of Humpty Dumpty. He puts himself back and the King's men want him to stay blasted!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

I don't see why they need to change anything...

He doesn't need his action feature for this line. They simply make the figure and say he blows up.

Works for me.
    "A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

My DeviantART

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    You know, I feel a little naive... Before this thread, I never thought of Blast Attak as a suicide bomber. Maybe because no one in MOTU ever seemed to die, but still... Interesting.
    Photog is here! thank you, Mattel!

Now how about some mini-comics love (like Lodar, Geldor, Dakon......)? And Mermista?