Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wun-Dar is made sooo Mattel has to now acknowledge the WB figue and this is why....

Wun-Dar is made sooo Mattel has to now acknowledge the WB figue and this is why....

I mean its the Wb figure to the tee. And it comes with a loaf of bread. I mean is this a nod that it was a Wonder Bread mail away. For years no one ever knew what the story was with this figure now they remade him. So whats the answer behind him.

TG also said that they weren't going to make any new characters anytime soon.

So can we please finally know the orgin of the WB figure.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

???
    I see it more as poking fun at not knowing where he came from.
    Everyone says Wonder Bread, so hey why not call him Wun-Dar?
    Last edited by Hek-tor; July 25, 2009 at 07:20pm.

There was no mail-way figure from Wonderbread in the 80s.
    Only a trading card set.

See, this is why I didn't want them doing this.
    It validates a rumor.

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Only a trading card set.

It validates a rumor.
    I won't repeat the discussion from another recent thread, but I don't see how it "validates" the rumour.

I just see it as as humourous nod to those in the know.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

That's the thing.
    You don't see it,
    but others are not the same as you. Just look at the existence of this thread as a key example.
    My intention was to go broad scope on this one.

Trust me.
    If you had dealt with this rumor like I have for 10+ years, you'd feel differently.

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    Trust me.
    If you had dealt with this rumor like I have for 10+ years, you'd feel differently.
    If there's one thing fans are good at, besides jumping the gun and overreacting, it's stamping down a rumor. The more threads like this that pop up and are stamped out by fans like you (and me, I'm on the bandwagon here), the more likely it is that "Wun-Dar is a joke, he's not actually based on a Wonder Bread mail-in" will become a mantra with fans.

And honestly, there are *tons* more fans like Spacedust who, in their heart of hearts know the rumor is a crock, than there are casual fans who will ever own this figure or hear this rumor. We have more than a fighting chance of 'urban legend'ing this than the figure has of legitimizing the rumor.

If Mattel would just officially go on record saying the 80s exclusive never existed, but that they did this in light of it for fun,
    then problem solved.

They'd post it on Facebook, or whatever the heck they have to post now,
    and we can post that info here,
    and in the "Wun-Dar" entry for all eternity.

Then, if buyers/sellers don't utilize that info posted here?
    well... their fault.

But Mattel should at least take responsibility to inform fans of the reasoning behind this exclusive.

We can't expect people to be informed if Mattel won't take the helm behind their own actions.
    Otherwise, we're still floating in the same sea of misinformation as we have been for the past decade.
    I've dealt with a lot of heart ache stories, and outright anger, from people who've been potentially duped at auction on this rumor.
    My concern is with fans, the ones still on the fence, or the ones who don't have any solid info to make a sure decision on. Always has been, always will be. I'd like to think 13 years of doing this, along with everything I've done to try and help, is proof positive.

Not to start another 100 page thread, but what proof ever surfaced to confirm that it wasn't a wonder bread mail away? All old paper work from Wonder Bread was lost when ownership changed, and Mattel with there awesome record keeping skills, have no record of it whatsoever.

Since he has been known as Wonder Bread He-Man for so many years, it only makes sense to call him that.

If I worked for Mattel though I would do some more digging to figure out his actual origin before going through with calling him Wun Dar, in case there is another story to his existence. Maybe the answer lies in Taiwan since they were all produced there?

You'll need to read that other long thread.
    The answer you seek is there.

...except for records in Taiwan.
    My guess is that's an even worse bet on turning up proof.

c'mon I read through that years ago, I can't remember it all haha.

It's best summed up as: confusion.

If you get some down time, check out some of my posts in there.
    I talk about working with Mattel, and what we uncovered back in 2001.

I remember saying the same thing as Val in a thread about WonderBread He-man years ago about there being no actual proof of his origin. But someone on the boards told me that I was wrong, and now I can't find my post in that thread. Strange?
    Worlds Biggest Meteorb Fan!

Hopefully most general people will never know why he is called Wun-Dar. Like when people were asking during the live updates, some people here even didn't get it at all.

I have a feeling they will never ever be able to actually say the words "wonderbread he-man," so maybe it'll just remain an inside joke. That and the figure will (maybe) never be seen on the Matty site, as it's a sub exclusive.

I guess seeing as there main outlet is facebook, people can say what they want, but if we keep an eye out, we can promptly reply that there is no proof.

Heroic Warrior
    Well, I just watched the Mattypalooza panel and I have to say that I have no problem with Wun-Dar because the character is just based on "tongue-in cheek" humor. Sure, he is just a repainted He-Man figure, but as Toyguru said in the presentation, he comes with a loaf of bread because he's hungry while fighting evil (or something like that) and that this guy is not Prince Adam, so he'll have a brand new bio. The only thing I would do with this figure to make him better is to get rid of the brown Power Sword and give him the brown version of the 80's Castle Grayskull/MOTUC MAA sword and the 80's CG/Buzz-Off axe that WB/Savage He-Man was photographed with and maybe they should give him an extra head with new face sculpt for those who might dig this character, but might not want him to look like Adam/He-Man with brown hair. Just my 2 cents.

Wun-Dar: Heroic Savage Baker of the Cosmos...lol
    Last edited by grenadaspice; July 25, 2009 at 08:24pm.

Why does this bother people so much? (I know I've been here awhile and read the thread many times)

So if they don't want to fess up so what maybe the person(s) that dealt with this in the past are no longer there..

I think it's a cool homage either way....

You'll need to read that other long thread.
    The answer you seek is there.

...except for records in Taiwan.
    My guess is that's an even worse bet on turning up proof.

It's a a fun wink and a nod figure to the fan community whose origin is unknown. It could be a bootleg figure or a foreign release.

But they made him again.ok and this time he is a legit MATTEL product. So they would have to get the rights to recreate the original WB. If they didnt already own the rights.

Im with you Val, I really hope that Mattel comes clean about this charater in some sort of aspect. And then we can put this to rest.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Heroic Warrior
    But what is there for Mattel to confess about? This guy's name is Wun-Dar. He's a repainted version of their own property (He-Man) that might have been bootlegged by some other people with other MOTU accessories that no one is sure of how this brownhaired He-Man came to be. I mean, I say that if there is nothing to this guy that would land Mattel into a lawsuit with Wonderbread, then let them have their fun. Besides, maybe this guy is called Wun-Dar because he is so wonderful to the people he fights for and protects. Plus, the name fits with all the Clawfuls, Buzz-Offs, Whiplashes, Dragstors, Extendars, & Ninjors of Eternia

Master of Time & Space Jedi_Master_Jeremy's Avatar
    I remember this Wonderbread He-man. Somewhere in the late 80's I saw one of these at a yard sale in a box of action figures. It was beat all to heck but I remember thinking that I'd never seen a He-man with brown hair and black boots before. The He-man craze had worn off a little by then and I didn't think much of it. But I do remember seeing one. That's had to be the first and only time I've ever seen a wonderbread He-man. It didn't have any armor and had no accessories. For all I know, some kid could have painted it. We did do crazy things with some of these toys. I used to light my GI Joe's on fire and spray them down with the hose. God knows how many of them I tied to bottle rockets. Anyhow, I think there's a good chance its legit. There are even He-man catalogues that have him listed. Even if the old one is some kind of hoax, it's no hoax now because I will have one in March.
    It's all about being polished when it counts!

It's best summed up as: confusion.

If you get some down time, check out some of my posts in there.
    I talk about working with Mattel, and what we uncovered back in 2001.
    The only thing I saw you say about working with them was that Mattel had no record of the figure, and that the only mail away they have a record of was for the cards. Not sure if you meant that the only record of a mail away with wonder bread was the cards, or if mattels only mail away promotion for MOTU was the cards, cause I know for a fact I got King Randor as a mail away through Mattel back in the day.

My apologies if I missed a post where you uncovered more proof with Mattel. I just don't see any proof that writes off Wonder Bread. Mattel have shown that they aren't very good record keepers

Not trying to open another can of worms. I just want to get to the bottom of it like everyone else

Quote Originally Posted by grenadaspice View Post
    But what is there for Mattel to confess about?
    Exactly. A confession would indicate some sort of wrong doing, and in this case, there is none. They created a character based on a variant of unknown origin and gave him a name and accessory based on fan speculation that then became a name associated with the character.

If there are fans that feel "duped" by this character then it's their own fault for not doing enough research of their own. The fact that their releasing this character as the subscription exclusive makes sense as only really hard core fans should be ordering the subscription anyway, and those fans probably already have a good idea of the mystery that surrounds "Savage" He-Man.

Let's face it: Wun Dar has more of a ring to it than Sa Vage. Calling him Savage He-Man just gives us another He-Man variant that they'd have to then come up with some crazy bio for that would only confuse and anger people more, but Wun Dar makes him his own character with his own bio that's a nod to a bit of MOTU lore.

He-Man.org Administrator TheShadow's Avatar
    I personally take it as Mattel poking fun at the whole mystery/desire and fan craziness over the so-called Wonderbread/Savage He-Man figure. I think it is hilarious they are including a loaf of bread with this badass. A+ and mad kudos to Mattel.

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

How anyone ever believed this character was legit is beyond me. You would think that someone would remember sending off for him through Wonder, or receiving him in the mail. But every post I have ever seen through so many threads is someone saying "I got him from a friend", or "I seen him at a flea market", etc. Every other toy line that had mail-away figures either has someone who remembers sending off for it, the company having records of it, or someone having the item in it's mailing package, whether it be in a plain white box or baggie in the package, but still having the package it was mailed in. I remember the cards from WonderBread, but never any mail-away figure. Can any single person on these boards ever remember this promotion or sending off for this figure? I guarantee the answer is no.
    Worlds Biggest Meteorb Fan!

Only a trading card set.

It validates a rumor.
    I think it's funny, but it's almost like Life Cereal releasing a memorial packet of Pop Rocks in their boxes.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/poprocks.asp

It's just giving credence to the guy who started the lie. I wonder if he's even aware that his "tall tale" was the inspiration for a new toy? Of any product to have been falsely linked to a free He-Man toy, Wonder(=Wun-Dar) has got to lend itself to one of the cooler names. My favorite white bread growing up was Butternut Bread. Butt-Ernut doesn't have the same ring to it.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Doing my best Skeletor... Agent John Utah's Avatar
    You bring up a great point joseephus, because if this mail away offer ever existed, there would be scans of the offer form at the very least. Someone would still have the breadbag, or flyer, etc. that detailed how to get one. I'm surprised no one has faked one of those yet to fan the flames of fandom. There were so many knockoff and bootleg MotU toys in the 80's, it could have been from some random discount store.

Does anyone know the first time this figure was discussed, was it here on the .org, or among toy collectors prior to the boom of the internet?
    Visit my MotU Magazine Scans Thread>
    ██▓▓▒▒░░ Agent John Utah ░░▒▒▓▓██