Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movie Figures: Classics or Realistic?

Movie Figures: Classics or Realistic?

I haven't read any posts about this, but I wanted to get a discussion going before any decisions were made by Mattel or Joel Silver. When the film comes out, there will undoubtedly be toys made to accompany the movie. Like ALL movie merchandise nowadays, the actors and costumes and vehicles are made to look exactly like the actors and such in the movie. So when the MOTU movie is released, do we (the fans) want a He-Man that looks like the actor, or do we want Mattel to just put the Classics figures on the shelves?

I personally feel that sticking with the new Classics figures body sculpts would be preferable, instead of redesigning the entire line again. Just make small alterations to the costuming and weaponry if necessary. I mean the MOTU film is being made because of the successful toy line, so I say, when making a new toy line for the film, keep it in the spirit of the toys that everyone grew up with and love. I'd hate to have my He-Man look like Dolph Lundgren or something. Kids are going to be playing with these toys, and I think that they should have the same wonderful, bulky figures we grew up playing with (like the MOTUC figures have captured).

What's you're take on it guys? I think this is something Mattel should start getting some feedback on early.
    Last edited by Mordex; July 27, 2009 at 12:33pm.

I think the thing they need to consider most is what will the people buying the toys recognise the most? If all they've known is the film, then the more likeness the better I'd wager.

However, I'm sure there's a middle ground to be had somewhere though in terms of likeness rather than just sculpting the actors. They are toys after all.

Although after spending most of my childhood with model paints trying to make my He-man figures look like the cartoon, one thing I regret is never being able to get a movie He-man! Maybe this will be my chance!

If they make toys for the movie line and mass retail them, they'de better look different from the MOTUC. Different body type and some resemblance to the actor, because if they release the MOTUC on stores (Which I'd like) it defeats the purpose of the Matty website. Also having movie toys that are not movie toys is so 80s... I mean for the marvel comics movies we get movie styled characters, same for the DC comics movies, transformers and now GI Joe... why should it be different with Motu? DCUC articulated MOTU movie characters would be cool...
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

As perfect as I feel the MOTUC toys are, Mattel is in the business of making money from their toys. Making new figures that look like the actors will get a lot of us fans who already have all the MOTUC to buy even more toys. Hell, there are still people(myself included) that want a 1987 movie He-Man, Skeletor, Teela, Man-At-Arms, Evil-Lyn, Sorceress, Beast Man, Karg, and Det. Lubic.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Heroic Eternian Actor Master_Of_Metropolis's Avatar
    Movie figures last about a season (unless there is a planned sequel on the horizon)--at least this is my observation. I think making the movie figures with likenesses of the actors, costumes, weapons is fine. Having the figures the same scale as MOTUC would be my ideal and keep MOTUC going while the movie line is out at the same time. Making MOTUC and the movie figures similar would be my favorite solution. If you look at the new GI Joe figures, they are making them just like the 25th anniversary figures (and in some cases they are just repaints.) I think MOTU can do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shokoti View Post
    Hell, there are still people(myself included) that want a 1987 movie He-Man, Skeletor, Teela, Man-At-Arms, Evil-Lyn, Sorceress, Beast Man, Karg, and Det. Lubic.
    Count me in!

I always hated that when the 80's movie was released we got re-issues of the regular vintage toys and just a few that were movie specific designs. So for the new film's toys, I think we need movie designs reflected.

That said, I would like them to just retool MOTUC figures if possible so the line isn't completely re-created and we get movie toys that are the same scale and display/play well with MOTUC. New armor, accesories, heads is as far as I'd go.

As much as I hate the new GI Joe movie toys, Hasbro smartly scaled them to perfectly fit the popular 20th Anniversary figures so they work together and can share playsets and vehicles.

I wouldn't complain if we got new playsets and vehicles that worked with MOTUC because of the movie.

I hope that the new movie figures will be done in a distinct style that better suits them design wise.
    I dont see the movie characters being done in motuc style, the film characters will have an updated look maybe more futuristic, or strange I dont know...
    And setting them apart from Motuc styled figures will make collectors grab another Mer-man (for example).

I would have the figs look like the movie characters because that's the whole point of a new line. For figures with MotUC looks, I'm already collecting MotUC. Also, simply adding similar accessories to MotUC figures to make them ressemble the movie wouldn't work well imo.

Also, I'd like if the movie figures came in 3'3/4" scale of GI Joe/ Star Wars/ Indiana Jones. They're better to have nicely scalled playsets and vehicles, as a kid I thought that scale was better to play with, and well, I'll be running out of display space with my MotUC collection in the meantime!

Ideally we should have movie figures that bear the actors' likenesses and also MOTUC figures that are in the style of the movie designs. Having two sets of figures would satisfy everyone and you wouldn't have to choose.
    Bikini Teela: Hottest version ever!!

Heroic Warrior
    If they were to release figures from the movie that looked like the actors i would like it to be a seperate line and not part of the classic series

I much prefer the toys to look like the cartoon counterparts but with live action movies i doubt they would go that route and so the figures would be on no interest to me as it would feel like i got an action figure of the actor rather than of the character

Quote Originally Posted by Master_Of_Metropolis View Post
    Movie figures last about a season (unless there is a planned sequel on the horizon)--at least this is my observation. I think making the movie figures with likenesses of the actors, costumes, weapons is fine. Having the figures the same scale as MOTUC would be my ideal and keep MOTUC going while the movie line is out at the same time. Making MOTUC and the movie figures similar would be my favorite solution. If you look at the new GI Joe figures, they are making them just like the 25th anniversary figures (and in some cases they are just repaints.) I think MOTU can do the same.
    This is my opinion as well (just my personal preference). Mattel could make these for a bit cheaper by using the MOTUC body on any new "buff" characters (created specifically) for the movie as well.

Actually, though I might be in the minority here, I really wouldn't mind if they used the MOTUC bodies for all of the characters (and just used new heads resembling the actors and any new removable detailing. The money saved could certainly be plowed back into the MOTUC budget for new tooling for us.

As has been said, movie figures don't last too long on the shelves. This way, we could put them (at least any new characters) to use in our current MOTUC collections.

(I'm sure it's not everyone's choice, but I like it! )

Quote Originally Posted by Teela-Na View Post
    Ideally we should have movie figures that bear the actors' likenesses and also MOTUC figures that are in the style of the movie designs. Having two sets of figures would satisfy everyone and you wouldn't have to choose.
    Quote Originally Posted by lee gray View Post
    If they were to release figures from the movie that looked like the actors i would like it to be a seperate line and not part of the classic series
    I'm pretty sure it will be a completely new line. Classics is, as the name mentions, the classic versions. The new line will be something totally new to sell at stores and for kids who see the movie to buy. And for many of us too, of course

Quote Originally Posted by Torvik View Post
    As has been said, movie figures don't last too long on the shelves. This way, we could put them (at least any new characters) to use in our current MOTUC collections.
    No they don't, but they probably will sell much much more than MotUC ever will while they're there

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    I'm hoping for a new, more realistic line period. If it's the new movie line so be it, but I am getting so sick of the MOTUC aesthetic (but to be fair I was sick of it several minutes after seeing that He-Man proto a few years back). If they do make MOTUC versions of the movie characters that would be cool for the MOTUC fans. I think that could be quite popular as well. For me though, I've really been waiting my whole life for a realistic, super detailed MOTU line. I absolutely loved 200X, but let me just say it did not go anywhere near far enough. I'm hoping the movie could provide the opportunity for such a line.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    If they make toys for the movie line and mass retail them, they'de better look different from the MOTUC. Different body type and some resemblance to the actor, because if they release the MOTUC on stores (Which I'd like) it defeats the purpose of the Matty website.
    I agree entirely. There would be no point in collecting a limited edition set, with all the additional packaging and customs charges that we're paying, only to see the same things appear in the shops.

If there is a film (and I'm yet to be convinced there will be), it will be a standalone category and any toys produced should reflect that. It has been said elsewhere that film characters would be heavily redesigned - probably true. And that's one of my concerns about projects losing their origins.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

I'd want the 4HM to do them.
    And I'd be after the "Movie Masters(Batman)" quality. So it's very much a playable toy, but done with the superb 4HM sculpt quality and design aesthetic.

So, realistic or classic? I say both in one package!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Somewhat related and just a bit of speculation on my part...

I noticed that back in May of 2009 Mattel filed a trademark for 'Grayskull'. Not King Grayskull or Castle Grayskull, just plain old Grayskull.

Since the current title of the live-action movie is Grayskull, could there also be a new toy line in the works using this name? Reason I ask, is 'cause it was filed right around the same time-frame that Warner Bros. filed for grayskull-movie.com

Just a thought.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Interesting observation.. It does make me wonder ...

(Thanks for your work in checking these things ... lots of fun to speculate!)

Quote Originally Posted by mistaloko View Post
    I hope that the new movie figures will be done in a distinct style that better suits them design wise.
    All said...
    Now available for commissions.

Subscribe to TMNT Redesign Challenge News,
    if you want to be update to every The Technodrome Redesign Challenge.

Check my customs at Figure Realm
    Deviantart - http://gomes31.deviantart.com/
    www.facebook.com/Ulisses31Omega
    www.facebook.com/PauloGomesArt
    If you cannot convince them, confuse them. - Harry S Truman

Heroic Warrior
    When the time comes I think they should make them around the size of G.i. Joe's which would make it easier and more likely for them to make playsets and vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by cronosred View Post
    When the time comes I think they should make them around the size of G.i. Joe's which would make it easier and more likely for them to make playsets and vehicles.
    Never... that day I will just quit MOTU.
    Now available for commissions.

Subscribe to TMNT Redesign Challenge News,
    if you want to be update to every The Technodrome Redesign Challenge.

Check my customs at Figure Realm
    Deviantart - http://gomes31.deviantart.com/
    www.facebook.com/Ulisses31Omega
    www.facebook.com/PauloGomesArt
    If you cannot convince them, confuse them. - Harry S Truman

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulisses31 View Post
    Never... that day I will just quit MOTU.
    You'll still have MOTUC's. I know the fans want large detailed figures with playsets and vehicles but I think those times are gone for now, most action figures out in stores now are smaller and less detailed. Mattel will make this line in hopes of getting kids as well as collectors to buy them but kids and or their parents aren't going to buy alot figures that cost $15 to $20 today, can you imagine what playsets would cost for the larger scale figures? There's a reason MOTUC is online exclusive.

The movie figs MUST be different than the MOTUC for various reasons:
    -I already mentioned on my first post on this topic that having MOTUC styled figs on stores defeats the whole purpose of the online MOTUC.
    -Price point: The movie figs WILL be cheaper than MOTUC in order to sell in stores. (I don't think that most parents will spend $20 on a fig...) If they sold MOTUC figures disguised as "movie" figs at a cheaper price than MOTUC; it'll harm mattycollector.com

Scale: I wish these guys were 6" and as articulated as the MOTUC but, with medium sized and big action figures going the way of the dodo. (Everyone's going with the 3 3/4" even the almighty Marvel Legends is on the verge of extinction and being replaced by the Joe-sized Marvel Universe.) I wouldn't mind if the mass-retail "for kids" MOTU Movie toys were in the 3 3/4". If it would mean that we get playsets and vehicles, I'll welcome them. (If they go this way they should throw the "adult collector" a bone and release 6" Movie MOTU figs through mattycollector. com as BONUS figs)
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

Whatever Mattel put's out for the new movie will more than likely be eaten up but the hardcore MOTU community. I expect the new movie toys might be very different compaired to the MOTUC figures. I would find it easier to collect the scale of the current GI Joe figures, because they wouldn't take up loads of space, there could be some playsets and they would look totally different to MOTUC, which is purly for the adult collector.

I really don't mind a different approach with these toys, just so long as the classic collector will still be able to find recognisable elements in these toys, otherwise what's the point in collecting them. If the characters are going to be evolved the best hands to do this are the 4H (NOT Mattel's inhouse designers!). Looking at the new movie art (bar the sorceress, ram man and Man At Arms) it looks like the skills of said designers leaves a lot to be desired (IMO).
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

I think they should be styled after the movie but in the same scale as several people have stated. I want to be able to display them with the MOTUC figures without a jarring size difference.
    Who has the Power?