Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragstor Arrival Thread

Dragstor Arrival Thread

Got him yesterday along with Queen Grayskull.

Last edited by Jester; November 15, 2015 at 12:27am.
    Thank You for your support ....OCTAVIA 5000! Success rate 100% WooHooo!

Let me be the first to say, he looks pretty bad.

His neck looks ridiculous, and his oversized head doesn't help. His legs look spindly, and his crossbow tip looks warped. Hopefully that can be fixed. Thanks for the pictures. The one with him "rolling" on the floor looks great and hides a lot of the problems I have with him.

Hopefully we will get a Pixel Dan review soon so everyone has more info to go on.

He looks quite good. My main concern, apart from his black torso, of course, is that his "wheel" is protruding too far from his belly area, it may look strange from a sideways view, and make it difficult to pose him in racing mode. I'll soon see for myself, though...
    Leech sucks..!

Heroic Warrior
    The warped crossbow caught my eye. Not surprised though; the packaging has been doing this to accessories from the beginning.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    Let me be the first to say, he looks pretty bad.

His neck looks ridiculous, and his oversized head doesn't help. His legs look spindly, and his crossbow tip looks warped. Hopefully that can be fixed. Thanks for the pictures. The one with him "rolling" on the floor looks great and hides a lot of the problems I have with him.

Hopefully we will get a Pixel Dan review soon so everyone has more info to go on.
    I'm glad you're not designing things for this line as your to nit picky about most figures.
    Looking forward to a very bright 2016 with MOTUC Collectors Choice, He-Man and the Masters Of the Universe animated Filmation line, Thundercats & SNAKE MOUNTAIN

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    I'm glad you're not designing things for this line as your to nit picky about most figures.
    I don't think a designer could be 'too nit picky', I personally would want the designers to be perfectionists!

Dragster's not looking too good, I agree with most of darkmoon's points. His thighs are way too thin, his neck looks weird, the black doesn't look good, and the silver pipes on his chest look weird and flat. He looks like a bad custom job.
    His wheel is sat too low as well, I'd rather it was a bit higher up so it's sitting in his chest/stomach as opposed to his stomach/groin.

I agree that he does look better in racing mode than standing.
    I am an illustrator, please check out my work:

www.facebook.com/lukespicerillustration

Is his armor removable? I never liked this character, but his head is cool. If I can remove the armor, I will turn him into another character. Blade's chain mail might look cool on him. If it's not removable... ugh!!!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

Something about him just looks really off to me, which is a bummer because he was one of my favorites as a kid and having him re-introduced into the world of Masters has been a LONG time coming. I think the wheel is... awkwardly placed on this version. And even though he doesn't have the old action feature, it doesn't look like you can even pose him in racing mode without him tilting over somehow. Visually, the weapons seem like a bit of a mess and the unfortunate warping on that gummy-looking crossbow don't help.
    I like his head sculpt and the orange gloves. But that's about it.
    Next Ten Most Wanted: Classic Toy Costume Catra, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Granita, Bould-Or, Lady Slither, Bubblor, Major Header, Queen Elmora (She-Demon Of Phantos)

Hey Jester, is there any chance you could put up a shot of Dragstor standing with the crossbow plugged into the engine?

It is weird that Dragstor doesn't have the Horde faction sticker on the packaging
    Last edited by Magoohan; November 15, 2015 at 09:27am.

He looks great! I'll be painting the blue back onto his torso.

Mine just arrived...he looks great actually. Not too crazy about the blastic torso and the black belt, but I will paint mine. Everything else is great. The legs are not as skinny as they appear in pics and his face looks pretty cool and catlike.

Quote Originally Posted by Fright Zone View Post
    I don't think a designer could be 'too nit picky', I personally would want the designers to be perfectionists!

Dragster's not looking too good, I agree with most of darkmoon's points. His thighs are way too thin, his neck looks weird, the black doesn't look good, and the silver pipes on his chest look weird and flat. He looks like a bad custom job.
    His wheel is sat too low as well, I'd rather it was a bit higher up so it's sitting in his chest/stomach as opposed to his stomach/groin.

He was complaining about Dragstor before anyone even received their figure. I know it's his opinion and he's entitled to it, he's just to nit picky for my taste.
    Looking forward to a very bright 2016 with MOTUC Collectors Choice, He-Man and the Masters Of the Universe animated Filmation line, Thundercats & SNAKE MOUNTAIN

I think he looks fine. The thighs look like the standard buck with the silver bit added. Head looks good, too. I wish it was a spinning wheel, but no action features are par for the course.

I don't really agree with all the criticism this figure is getting, maybe when I have him in hand this week my opinion will change.
    Hey Super 7, Snake Mountain rocks! Let's Kickstart it!

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I think he looks fine. The thighs look like the standard buck with the silver bit added. Head looks good, too. I wish it was a spinning wheel, but no action features are par for the course.

I don't really agree with all the criticism this figure is getting, maybe when I have him in hand this week my opinion will change.
    I am with you. The only problem I see is the non-blue torso like the vintage.

I'm excited to finally be getting Dragstor in the line!

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    Well....

Quote Originally Posted by retcon View Post
    The sub really is ending with a whimper not a bang isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    The warped crossbow caught my eye. Not surprised though; the packaging has been doing this to accessories from the beginning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fright Zone View Post

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Something about him just looks really off to me, which is a bummer because he was one of my favorites as a kid and having him re-introduced into the world of Masters has been a LONG time coming. I think the wheel is... awkwardly placed on this version. And even though he doesn't have the old action feature, it doesn't look like you can even pose him in racing mode without him tilting over somehow. Visually, the weapons seem like a bit of a mess and the unfortunate warping on that gummy-looking crossbow don't help.
    I like his head sculpt and the orange gloves. But that's about it.
    It is not just me, clearly. These are some of the first shots of this figure out of the package not taken by Mattel or at a con. Hence my refreshed critique. I am being extra harsh on this figure, because he is the LAST of the vintage MOTU figures (non variant) to come out. Since he has a precedent set by the vintage version, I expect it to at least honor that figure, and then improve on it some. This figure is worse aesthetically and proportionally than the vintage figure, in my opinion. There are no other vintage MOTU figures converted to classics that I can say both about.

Leech is proportionally terrible(cost prohibited parts reuse), but designed aesthetically well.

Dragon Blaster Skeletor's Dragon head is aesthetically terrible(not vintage at all either) and I don't prefer the tasseled loincloth(also not vintage). But he is proportionately fine.

Even Rioblast, reguarded as one of the biggest failures of the line, looks MOSTLY aesthetically pleasing as long as the chest is open.

I am highly disappointed in the way Dragstor came out, for many reasons.

I am very glad that you and others find him to be most acceptable, even a great figure. And I am even more glad that you pointed out that you think I am too picky. I appreciate your position on the matter, and take that as a compliment in the same breath. I will assume we will disagree on many more unseen things to come (new prototypes, test shots, final products, etc) in the coming years. Hopefully, we will disagree less than more, because that will mean, at least to my overly discerning eye, that the figures are of higher quality than not. It is obviously possible, as 80% of past figures, and 99% of the current 200x line are as close to perfect as you can expect. That is precisely why I point out issues with the figures that have them. The majority of the line line is so great, that having these glaring pieces that could have easily been better stick out like sore thumbs.

I also have a LOT of issues with declining engineering on the line that do not effect the visual design of the figures. Posability and articulation is a big problem. Figures having ankle rockers but being functionally useless due to poor engineering (ie Tung Lasher and other figures with HUGE feet that need ankle rockers), females losing the boot cut and thigh swivel are also annoying...I could go on....

But as I said, these issues are obviously not as important as the overall look of the figures, which to me, Dragstor earns a solid D-. I like his boots. Too bad they are thicker in diameter than his thighs.

Seeing the picture of him laying down makes me think they really missed an opportunity with his crossbow. If they had designed it with small wheels and handles and figured out how to incorporate small wheels in his knees they could have used that to mimic the vintage feature without a working wheel in his chest.

Wow!
    Thanks for taking and sharing the pics.
    That crossbow looks is great.

And for all the usual complainers that seem to pop up in EVERY thread-

Give it a rest.
    Go make your own "awesome/perfect" toys w all that passion and creativity you have.
    Fantastical!

Quote Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
    Wow!

Give it a rest.
    Go make your own "awesome/perfect" toys w all that passion and creativity you have.
    I already made my own version of Dragstor among many other customs, so, there's that, since ya brought that little gem of a comment out

And even with that, still doesn't mean I can't complain about a long awaited figure that I feel is subpar, and because of that be disappointed.

Why worry about complainers? If they bug you so much, ignore works well...use it instead of tossing in different complaints.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; November 15, 2015 at 02:01pm.
    Recent.... HATMOTU Skeletor
    Coming....
    Wanted.... Filmation Mer-Man, Teela & Sorceress
    Considering....
    Needed.... MOTUC Lord Masque

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by retcon View Post
    The sub really is ending with a whimper not a bang isn't it?
    It was front-loaded. We got a lot of the best stuff Q1. But the 200X sub is great, at least.
    ALAS, POOR CLASSICS....

Top want list: Mask of Power Demons, Snake Goddess Teela, GITD Goddess, Snake Mountain Man, Dree-Elle & Montork, 200X Beast-Man, Red Beast, Ra-Jar, Great Black Wizard, Dragoon, King Torius, 200x Centaur Chief, Queen Andreeno.

2 Collectors' Choice. 2 2.0s 3 Thundercats
    ME WANT MORE MYTHIC LEGIONS!

WWW.FARTHERTHANWEDREAMED.COM

Overall he doesn't look bad but that wheel is completely ridiculous. The fact that BS Hordak got a new torso and Dragstor didn't is pathetic. I do love the crossbow and whip. They look great in his hands.

He's ok. Not my favorite but I dig him just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
    Wow!

Give it a rest.
    Instead of complaining about our critiquing, how about you offer some counter points to the issues I and others have brought up? I am open to every-ones point of view. Maybe you could change my mind. But telling us to stop giving our opinions won't fly very well, especially when this Figure is so divisive. There are plenty of people who don't like this figure, plenty who do, and some who just think he's just OK. You can se that in this thread alone, polls about his color, and other Dragstor threads.

Heroic Warrior
    He's fine. I'm bummed, however, that he's just fine. This could have been a really fun one. A missed opportunity in my book.

Many have complained about Buzzkill Hordak getting the new torso over Rio Blast. Again here, I think it would have added so much more to do something with the wheel rather than use it for Hordak. And the color being wrong seems really lazy to me. Is it that hard to look at the vintage and get it close?

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    I am open to every-ones point of view. Maybe you could change my mind.
    LOL. No one changes their minds on the internet.
    "Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar." - Marilyn Manson

I have just changed my mind on the subject of changing minds.
    Preternia - When you tryna get dem J's and turn up with the squad and but yo ratchet side deek throwin mad shade.