Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: art book review?

I just recieved my copy in the mail right before work. I did a quick glance through and my first impression is it is NOT worth the $130 I paid, probably about $30. There is some cool art in there but I was expecting a lot more for the money.
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Heroic Warrior
    I caved and bought one for around Ģ80. I know it's probably not worth the money, but it will be for me if you know what I mean. I think MOTUC has overtaken DCUC as my all time favourite line.

Thank you Mattel and 4H!!!

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Finally got my review done. Sorry I took so long, gang!

The review is abotu 20 minutes long, so I have it split into 2 parts. But I go through page by page so you guys get an idea of what's inside. This way you guys can make a better decision on if it's something you want to invest in or not.

EDIT: Sorry gang...the review had to come down.
    Last edited by Pixel Dan; July 30, 2009 at 06:38pm.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Thanks a lot PixelDan for that review!!!!!!!

It actually is a shame how that Volume 1 seems to give the allusion of More Volumes coming.

But it is in fact Designed at Mattel Vol 1, meaning that the other volumes to follow will propably go over Barbie, Hotwheels and other Mattel-products.

I'd like to get more MOTU -Volumes. But since this book goes from early beginnings to these days, and thus has covered MOTU than I feel it's unlikely.

Though it would be sweeeeeeeeet to get more MOTU Artbooks. In any form.

Thanks for your review....i have really enjoyed.

I'm very grateful for Prometheus, River and Pixel Dan for taking the time to review this book and actually letting all of us access to what's inside. If I were at SDCC, I would've bought two. Still, it is not worth that $50 price tag. All I really wanted was an opportunity to see its contents. Now that I have, I really don't care about it and can live happily without this book. Thanks for wasting the trees for this disappointment and the fans' money on Ebay, Mattel. If there's a volume two, is it going to be 25 pages for $40 and limited to 500 copies?

Villain in training warrenpeace2012's Avatar
    Awesome! Thanks for the review P.D.
    Last edited by warrenpeace2012; July 30, 2009 at 01:07pm.
    Don't mess up TWO-BADD! That's all I ask!

And behold, I will be a blight upon the land and everything I touch shall wither and die. I shall reign in 2012 for my conquest is nigh.

nice review. the book isnīt indeed worth 50$ put aside 120$ on ebay.
    It has some nice content, in terms of early concept sketches, future sketches and mostly the oil paintings.
    Tell me Pixel Dan the book only contains the oil paintings you showed us in your review?

As for the future and maybe possible movie designs, I think they look pretty nice, i just dont like that type of "rocks" on the back of the Beastman concept, if the movie characters were to get this approach in terms of design I wouldnīt mind it and I am very critic when it comes to movie designs, but I guess the two new TF movies got me used to accept these updated designs, at first I just thought they were awfull, and know I kinda like them.

yeah. all i wanted was to see the contents. i knew it wasn't going to be worth the 50.00 price tag to me let alone the 150.00 going prices on ebay.

nice book, for 25.00 that is.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Quote Originally Posted by mistaloko View Post
    Tell me Pixel Dan the book only contains the oil paintings you showed us in your review?
    Yep. You guys saw every page of the book in my review. Those were the only oil paintings included, unfortunately.

Glad you guys enjoy the review!

Thanks for the review P.D. !

Thanks for the info Pixel Dan that is a very low amount of oil paintings in there

Nice review, thanks a lot. I can see now that this art book isn't for me.

Very few oil paintings/box art - which is some of the best MOTU art.

Lots of filler stuff - mini-comics and ads.

Poor lay-out (e.g. spine eating parts of pix)

Not very big!

I can take or leave the "proto" and "future" concept art works.

Too bad they didn't really pull out the stops and collect all of the art work. But glad they didn't, because it'd cost me over $100...

Hopefully orgers here will pull something together - fan-fic or otherwise....
    Funny Fan Fic: Meet the Rea-Por! (Heroic & Villainous Deaths) & The Mighty Spector's FIRST EVER FAN-FIC
    & not so funny Fan Fic: War of Attrition
    Trade feedback & WANTED: Bow/SLL style boots!

A big thanks to Pixel Dan for the video review. I too, have to admit that it really isn't woth $50. It would be nice to have, but not for that price, especially the way some of the images are cut.
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    Just got my book today, so expect my review on the front page of the .org tomorrow.
    Great video Review sir!! I am personaly happier now about the book. I will enjoy having the carbacks and so on and the newer stuff looks interesting. Thanks alot for the Video!!
    Find what you seek only when you look in the right places...

Great review! As much as I love He-Man & the MOTU, I'm too lazy to put that much effort into a video review. That you find the time & energy to do so on a regular basis, you deserve big props!

Quote Originally Posted by mistaloko View Post
    As for the future and maybe possible movie designs, I think they look pretty nice, i just dont like that type of "rocks" on the back of the Beastman concept, if the movie characters were to get this approach in terms of design I wouldnīt mind it and I am very critic when it comes to movie designs, but I guess the two new TF movies got me used to accept these updated designs, at first I just thought they were awfull, and know I kinda like them.
    I'm not big on the MOTU movie designs, but they didn't seem as bad, imho, as the "updates" made for the Transformers and G.I. Joe movies. At least I could still see a little of the original characters in them. If they go with the Sorceress design, the movie might have to be R-rated.
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; July 30, 2009 at 03:12pm.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Pixel Dan, great review. Really appreciate it. Just wondering when you'll be posting the second part on Youtube. Much better quality there.

Evil master of... stuff. He-Lurker's Avatar
    Great review! It's definitely an awesome book, but it could have been even better.

Also, FYI: When you're encoding your videos, don't forget about deinterlacing... It will get rid of those lines between the movement on the video. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinterlacing

Krueger- Part 2 is uploading right now. For some reason, YouTube kicks rejecting that upload. Hopefully it goes through this time. (3rd attempt). That's aprt of the reason I prefer blip, but I understand that many people use YouTube, which is why my videos go there to.

He-Lurker- Thanks for the info. I'll have to see if I can figure that out in my editing software. Although, I'm kind og wondering if that's actually my video, or just a result of the compression and conversion to Flash afte rI upload it. I'll have to look into it.

Thanks Pixel Dan, great review!

It's actually HISTORY of MOTU ..not so called Art Book

If they wanted to nail it, there should been 53 pages of oil paintings, one on each page with a little text underneath. So this book have like 3 of those pages. FAIL! Actually I'm not so keen to have it anymore, there's so few cool pictures and new stuff are basicly the movie part.
    MOTUC needs:Tung Lashor, Rio-Blast and rest of the Hordes!

WANTED: Minicomics !!! Swords NEEDED !!! MY FEEDBACK

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    Krueger- Part 2 is uploading right now. For some reason, YouTube kicks rejecting that upload. Hopefully it goes through this time. (3rd attempt). That's aprt of the reason I prefer blip, but I understand that many people use YouTube, which is why my videos go there to.
    Cheers for that, Pixel Dan.

Thank ya, Pixel Dan. Watching it right now.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I really like that alternate He-Man design in the 200x section with the black armor. Would have loved to have seen that as Horde Armor or something.

As for the movie designs, I personally think a lot of them are cool, but none of them are really MotU at all. It's the kind of thing a lot of movie adaptations of anything always screw up for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Master Jokubas View Post
    As for the movie designs, I personally think a lot of them are cool, but none of them are really MotU at all. It's the kind of thing a lot of movie adaptations of anything always screw up for some reason.

For some of us that remember the original versions of these characters, such as Motuc, Transformers and so on, I think itīs quite hard to like these new movie updated versions.

But thinking about it, if the oldschool versions would be brought to the cinema (of course the people who hold these characters dearly, such as collectors and fans alike) would be extremely happy to see their classic character with his/her classic design made it to cinema. But the other public who just want to see a cool movie may be more atracted and prefer these updated versions as they are more flashy (i dont know if itīs the right word) and modern.

And when I saw Pixel Danīs video review I was quite impressed with that new concept designs, I liked them the first moment I saw them.

With the Transformers as Iīve said before I am used to them and grow to like them, now with these new Motu character designs they all look pretty good, that Sorceress is great and Skeletor looks awesome too.
    Last edited by mistaloko; July 30, 2009 at 04:50pm.

I liked Pixel Dan's review and am happy with seeing it there. I don't feel that the book is worth more than $30.00. I would say at the most 25.00. I saw it and I'm satisfied. Would not pay the money to have my own. Glad I did not resort to ebay