Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Makes the Filmation Sword of Power and Protection so hard to reproduce?

What Makes the Filmation Sword of Power and Protection so hard to reproduce?

I'm actually in love with the New Filmation line. It's Actually the first male Classics I own. I have a question though. Why is the Filmation sword so hard to produce? None of them look right IMO, Now if there is someone out there who has produced one that they sale PLEASE INFORM ME because I haven't found one yet. It's always one of my biggest dissapointments even from way back in 200x, usually followed by the look of Grayskull and the Sorceress...
    By the Power of : For the Honor of : IN THE NAME OF GREYSKULL!

Heroic Warrior orionpaximusprime's Avatar
    http://www.shapeways.com/product/VDF...tionId=2618449

I have two of these and I love them.
    By the powet of thundara, Transform and kill cobra... or something.

She-Ras sword is just about perfect, but for some reason they can't scale hers up and remove the gem for He-Man. I don't know why they reused the disproportioned Classics version instead of making a new one.
    Recent.... HATMOTU Trap Jaw
    Coming.... Classics Vultak
    Wanted.... Classics Masque & Callix?
    Considering....
    Needed....

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilboynnc View Post
    They are just not physically attracted to each other...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    It's not hard. They got the Filmation Sword of Protection perfect with She-Ra and Adora. There are quite a few talented people on these forums that have made great 3-D printed Filmation Swords of Power through Shapeways and others that have sculpted great ones. The Four Horseman can do it, but I don't know why it hasn't happened. I wish someone would ask them about it.
    Successful transactions with PaulJustice, bobshumway, SonofKeldor, Eterniandreams, Xavion, darksword, Epizo1, Shankor, Shecky, He-Dad, Baddwarff, sublimesting, richalot, He-Man54, anytimepally, Mysterio, Umbloo, Lich Leech, greenstar1981, crimsondragon, Man-E-MoodZ, yakkotank, Jaakub, Is-rael, dzathamza, jesstertwo, yodafreakmaster, stratosfear, Mulletor, racer x, and IceyCat.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by orionpaximusprime View Post

Do these come painted? Or do you have to do that yourself? The Snake Armor shields look really good.

These are perfect to my eye!

Last edited by Angel-T; February 23, 2016 at 08:02pm.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TNT1120X View Post
    Do these come painted? Or do you have to do that yourself? The Snake Armor shields look really good.
    You have to paint them yourself.

Heroic Warrior

Where were those from? They look a bit off towards the tip of the blade, but the blade isn't as thick as evilmike's, which I think works better on the filmation sword.

Totally Dyslexic
    I think the real problem with them is :

They never look the same. One time they are shorter, one time they are longer, sometimes they are wider…

FILMATION made them always look good but their sizes always changed and length wise they were actually short sword but that would look stupid as they would be considered to short….

*Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Hawke *Pebb-Liss(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Quote Originally Posted by andr0s81 View Post
    Where were those from? They look a bit off towards the tip of the blade, but the blade isn't as thick as evilmike's, which I think works better on the filmation sword.
    Those are evilmike's.
    Aaron
    PoP Variants are part of the vintage line, too! Starburst She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, and Scratchin' Sound Catra for 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    I think the real problem with them is :

They never look the same. One time they are shorter, one time they are longer, sometimes they are wider…

FILMATION made them always look good but their sizes always changed and length wise they were actually short sword but that would look stupid as they would be considered to short….

http://frankshemanpage.net/father01_1.jpg
    That first picture out of context looks like He-Man is about to put down Duncan Of Mice and Men style.

I've been meaning to buy a pair of Filmation swords from EvilMike but had a question: Which set is best to get? I'm a bit confused with all the different versions that I see offered. I mean, there's a Sword of Glory 2.0, a Bigger Sword of Glory, as well a Sword of Defense 2.0 & 3.0!

I'm tempted to get the Perfect Match set but are those 2.0 or 3.0 swords? Is there even a 3.0 Sword of Glory? What's the difference, anyway?

Sigh, one of these days I want to place a big order for these accessories, they're cool! I also want She-Ra's Sword-to-Shield and Netossa's headdress. I already got a pair of Alcala swords and they're great!

Like He-Man & She-Ra artwork? Check out my latest art and MOTUC pics at Havoc Staff!

Aside from the usual issues with translating a 2D drawing to 3D, I think perhaps the original "Filmation" sword that the 4H sculpted was put through the "classiciser" machine to make it fit with the MOTUC aesthetic and bring it slightly more inline with the original MOTUC sword. Of course, they just used this sculpt in a new color for He-Man 2.0.

Now, I'm not a fan of the Filmation sword: I don't like the shape, I'm not sure if there are balls or flat circles on the guard, it was drawn inconsistently, and I think it looks weak and wimpy compared to the original sword as well as the MOTUC sword (my favorite take). I know, that's sacrilege to some, but that's the fun thing about opinions!

To take it one step further, I like the 4H's modified "Filmation" sculpt better than the cartoon version and all the others you folks have been posting.

Ok, now you can light your torches!

Hey Matty, Snake Mountain rocks! Please don't downsize it!

Blasphemy...To Despondos with you, NorthCoast!!

Actually, I kinda agree with you...I really like the MOTUC Power Sword too. My favorite is the all-silver one that came with Castle Grayskull, I have it on my default TRU He-Man. Filmation He-Man is very close to replacing him, though...They both look cool to me!

Overall, I like the official Mattel weapons better, when they make them, than most of the custom ones. He-Ro II's Alcala swords are pretty neat and a lot of the Filmation stuff that I wasn't sure would ever be made, like Corrodite crystals, Trap Jaw's Fly-Swatter arm, Horn of Evil, Havoc Staff, and Bone Throne, are already in the works. They may not be as accurate as some of the custom ones but they're already painted and come included with the price of the figure, which is nice.

When it comes to the Power Sword & Sword of Protection, though, I just feel that EvilMike's versions in silver would look awesome!
    Like He-Man & She-Ra artwork? Check out my latest art and MOTUC pics at Havoc Staff!

Quote Originally Posted by Micro-Man View Post
    I've been meaning to buy a pair of Filmation swords from EvilMike but had a question: Which set is best to get? I'm a bit confused with all the different versions that I see offered. I mean, there's a Sword of Glory 2.0, a Bigger Sword of Glory, as well a Sword of Defense 2.0 & 3.0!

I'm tempted to get the Perfect Match set but are those 2.0 or 3.0 swords? Is there even a 3.0 Sword of Glory? What's the difference, anyway?

Sigh, one of these days I want to place a big order for these accessories, they're cool! I also want She-Ra's Sword-to-Shield and Netossa's headdress. I already got a pair of Alcala swords and they're great!

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...3a&oe=576046C3
    Just ask him. He's a great guy and he'll respond to you. You can message him on shape ways or find him on Facebook. His name is Mike McEvils there.

The Perfect Match sword is the power sword done as closely as possible to the MOTUC sword of protection. The two pack is literally the same sword, but with one made with a thinner handle and a gem socket for a hobby store jewel.

The bigger version is the Perfect Match version, just bigger.

The 2.0 is "knobby". The corners of the hilt are really round and pronounced. (Angel-T, are your swords there 2.0s?)

I think he only does the sword of protection in the 3.0 style. To my eye, this one is broader at the base of the hilt, making the blade seem oddly triangular.
    Last edited by hadley; February 23, 2016 at 10:05pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    Those are evilmike's.
    The first two pictures are? The last 2 weren't there when i quoted it originally. The last2 look like the ones i have but they aren't like the first two, were those the original versions?
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Aside from the usual issues with translating a 2D drawing to 3D, I think perhaps the original "Filmation" sword that the 4H sculpted was put through the "classiciser" machine to make it fit with the MOTUC aesthetic and bring it slightly more inline with the original MOTUC sword. Of course, they just used this sculpt in a new color for He-Man 2.0.
    The problem isn't the classicized design, its that its a terrible product.
    The side guards arent the same length and the are positioned at different angles from one another. One side has china on the handle whilebthe other side has what im assuming is part of the mold injection as a circle right in the middle of the sword.

Which the funny thing is if they had just taken the existing She-ra sword, removed the Jewel and gave it a bigger handle they would have had the perfect Filmation He Man sword.
    Last edited by andr0s81; February 24, 2016 at 12:43am.

Quote Originally Posted by orionpaximusprime View Post

My GAWD! That guy has talent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bilboynnc View Post
    My GAWD! That guy has talent.
    He gives a link to a german ebay for the gem. Is there a seller on the american ebay for them?
    I just got the 2.0 and the 3.0 in the frosted ultra detail.
    By the Power of : For the Honor of : IN THE NAME OF GREYSKULL!

I think they are just fine. Sure the customs seem better, I suppose. But then I would 100% rather official product that Shapeways. Sculpted & Cast is better than Shapeways to me, so that I'll go for, but what we got is fine all things considered. But yes, I can see the difference subtle as it is with the cool Shapeways ones.

The swords in the show are pretty inconsistent and the official Mattel MOCUT take is perfectly fine. Of course I never liked the Filmation swords as much as the classic sword, and now I do mean Classic interpretation over Vintage even.

I would be less concerned about the specific sculpt as the size. It was always my understanding that the swords are exactly the same excepting the jewel, and yet the swords are always disproportionate to each other. What I really want is a Classics style She Ra Sword that is the same size as He Man's. Same sword, but with the jewel. As yet I cannot find a loose she ra sword of protection to use to make my own custom (cut out the jewel and setting to add to He Man's sword) so this desire goes unfullfiled, or even with any fan outcry, so I guess I'm alone in this.

Now that you mention it I do have Flogg's Sword of Power & She Ra's sword and they are not the same size either, are they? Is the filmation sword that comes with He Man just a repaint of Flogg's Sword of Power or a new sculpt?

Again, I'd like to see them the same size side by side. Hers & His. The specific sculpt is fine otherwise.

All I can think is it's some safety thing. Maybe they can't make the sword as long and thin as it should be as it'd be too dangerous in case one of us is stupid enough to jab it in our eye.

I agree though, the filmation sword they have released so far looks way too small and not right in general.

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    The swords in the show are pretty inconsistent and the official Mattel MOCUT take is perfectly fine.
    No, it's not fine. The power sword never looked that chunky and fat in the show. Not only is it inaccurate, but it's fugly.

What's even worse than that is that when it was originally released with Flogg, what, 2 years ago now, there was a ton of negative feedback from fans regarding the lousy sculpt of that iconic sword that we've waited 3 decades to get, yet then they showed the exact same sword with Filmation He-Man last July at SDCC. Once again, fans voiced their displeasure. Despite all that time and plenty of criticism from customers spread over 2 figure releases, Mattel still wound up giving us the exact same sword that nobody wanted. That is an inexcusable failure on their part.

Unlike many other problems in the line that have been pointed out to them that it was too late to fix, they had PLENTY of advance notice on this one. On top of all that, all the way back in 2009 they managed to make a Filmation accurate sword of Protection for Adora, which just adds insult to injury.

It should have been one of the easiest fixes that Mattel could have done, and would have shown the customers a great amount of good will, yet for some inexplicable reason they dropped the ball. Seriously, 8 years into the line and a very high profile mistake gets repeated, which would have been painfully easy to avoid? I shouldn't have to go to a third party source to get a proper power sword. It's ridiculous.
    Last edited by Durendal; February 24, 2016 at 05:14pm.

Widget
    Amen, hope the movie figures are not produced by mattel so we get accurate weaponry

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post

Now, I'm not a fan of the Filmation sword: I don't like the shape, I'm not sure if there are balls or flat circles on the guard, it was drawn inconsistently, and I think it looks weak and wimpy compared to the original sword as well as the MOTUC sword (my favorite take). I know, that's sacrilege to some, but that's the fun thing about opinions!

To take it one step further, I like the 4H's modified "Filmation" sculpt better than the cartoon version and all the others you folks have been posting.

Ok, now you can light your torches!
    All good and valid points, but this is supposed to be Filmation He-Man, and he should come with a Filmation sword, regardless of whatever our personal preferences might be as far as the cutlery is concerned. It's just frustrating because they got the shape just about perfect with She-Ra's sword; simply duplicating that without the stone is all we really need.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

The sword isn't hard to produce, especially for the 4H...the problem is cost. The new He-Man figures with the new parts and scuplting probably had to reach a certain cost. This meant they had to use an existing sculpt for the sword rather than a new sculpt.

The figure would have probably been $26 or $28 with a newly sculpted Filmation sword included. I think it was to keep the cost at a level to be able to offer the figure at $20 (below industry standard cost for 6" BTW).

I seriously doubt a small sliver of plastic equates to a $6-8 difference in price on a figure, even after factoring in sculpt/tooling costs. Especially since this sword would most definitely be reused many times over.