Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Pre-Filmation Era in MOTUC Thread

Hybrid View

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

The Pre-Filmation Era in MOTUC Thread

Welcome to the Pre-Filmation Era!

He-Man slaying monsters with his trusty axe? It's here.
    Tri-Klops kicking ass and taking names as a bounty hunter? Right here!
    Teela as a hot blonde who fights like a fury? It's here.
    The Goddess (or Green Goddess)? She's here as well.
    Prince Adam as a womanizer? We have it!
    Skeletor going commando? It's in da house!
    Alfredo Alcala/Mike Texiera art? We got it!

This is the thread to talk and discuss about getting the figures or variants in MOTUC which are representative of Masters of the Universe before the more kid friendly and lighter Filmation revamp in mid-1983. Masters of the Universe originally showcased He-Man as a heroic barbarian from the jungle in a post-apocaylptic fantasy world. While this was the original version of He-Man, the majority of the fans was introduced to He-Man through the Filmation canon.

Hopefully, we will continue to get these repaints OR redos in MOTUC as bonus figures or some kind of extra.

Epic Heroes!

Dastardly Villains!

Fearsome Monsters!

Sister Threads:
    The Blonde Teela Thread
    The Barbarian He-Man Thread
    Mini-Comic Stratos Thread
    The Goddess bio revealed

Pre-Filmation Era Web Sites:
    http://mineternia.tripod.com/ff_ByTFCooper.htm
    http://www.dyerworks.com/he-man/
    http://www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk/
    Cloudy Climbs and Bridal Path Coloring book Stories

Discuss!
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; December 26, 2011 at 11:55am.

If we have to have a classic styled Adam, I want him in his mini comic/DC clothes
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Great thread.

Two halves of the power sword? It's here!
    Castle Grayskull as a spooky and mysterious place? It's here!
    Skeletor wanting Teela for his bride? It's here!

We got the Green Goddes coming in Dec so I guess that a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash77 View Post
    Great thread.

Couldn't resist!

Last edited by MegaGearMax; August 11, 2009 at 03:28pm.

I still have that colouring book!

Did the Green Goddess appear in any but the first mini-comic?

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    I ALWAYS thought that the pre-Filmation era was an under-used and very fertile time for great stories.

I loved the idea of the rebuilding of a society after the Great War that laid to waste most of Eternia. It was the perfect explaination for the sci-fi weapons meeting swords and sorcery.

"The planet's inhabitants are dealing with the aftermath of the Great Wars, which devastated the civilizations that once ruled supreme over all lesser beings. The Wars left behind advanced machinery and weaponry known only to select people. An early incarnation of the Sorceress of Castle Grayskull gives He-Man some of these weapons, and he sets out to defend the secrets of Castle Grayskull from the evil villain Skeletor. He-Man possesses one half of the Power Sword; the second half is possessed by Skeletor...."

This scenario had SO many potential tales to tell and I always felt like Filmation took the easy way out in turning He-Man into a Superman-secret identity character.
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Collector of Toys 4 Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash77 View Post
    oh good lord!! I guess Evil lynn hadn't yet been introduced at the time, huh? poor teela.....

question is, why would Skeletor be attracted to someone who's not even his own species? the same principal as Jabba being attracted to Leia.... yuk!! was teela the only woman in Eternia, that every man was after her? lol Cringer looks really peeved in that coloring book pic.

lol@ adam bending the weights in the pic. Kind of gives away his identity as He-man. lol, what's with the mini-skirt? almost looks worse than pink tights...poor Adam...he's never had a decent wardrobe imo, untill 200x.
    Lifelong fan of: MOTU, G.I.Joe, Transformers, most 'good' movies of any genre, Star Wars, oldies/classic rock & country music, WWE/WWF/WCW/NWA wrestling, old school circus sideshow performers & fictional movie 'creatures', my friends and family. oh, yes...and I love action figures!!!!!

Support MVCreations for MOTUC!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    Great thread.
    Castle Grayskull as a spooky and mysterious place? It's here!
    Seemed kinda spooky in the Filmation series too. Though not AS spooky or mysterious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    Who wouldn't?
    Those are so awesome MegaGearMax
    You know, I find this version of He-Man interesting (though I'm more partial to the Filmation canon) but Teela confuses me. The toyline names her "Teela: Warrior Goddess" and yet in the comics, Teela and the goddess are two seperate characters X_X
    Last edited by dragonrider1227; December 29, 2013 at 03:18am.

The conclusion!

This is PiFerst's fine work! He posted these up on the Fwoosh.

I'd ask him to do the other three Alcala mini-comics, but this is the only mini that has everything included in Classics as of yet (maybe you can fix that TG! Hint, hint!).

We'd need He-Man's hut, Oo-Larr, the Octopus Monster, Charger and MAA's futuristic chariot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider1227 View Post
    You know, I find this version of He-Man interesting (though I'm more partial to the Filmation canon) but Teela confuses me. The toyline names her "Teela: Warrior Goddess" and yet in the comics, Teela and the goddess are two seperate characters X_X
    I think the toyline was supposed to have Teela and the Goddess as the same figure. Maybe the tagline should have been "Warrior/Goddess" ? The armor on the figure is the Goddess while the armor off the figure represents Teela. In Pre-Filmation, Teela was created by Skeletor when he captured the Goddess and siphoned a portion of her life energy. MAA rescued the Goddess and adopted the child naming her after the Goddess.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Artichokes aren't evil! MasterCollector's Avatar
    Nice post there MGM! This is the real origin of MOTU. I liked Filmation, but I definitely prefer the darker tone of the pre-Filmation 1982 mini-comics.

I'd love the four-armed Glorm as the next mini-comics figure. I just think the idea of a four-armed character is great. It's a big reason I want Sagittar. It's also the reason I liked using Goro in Mortal Combat.
    Last edited by MasterCollector; December 29, 2013 at 06:28pm.
    "Evilseed with his MYP redesign dominated the poll pulling ahead with a massive lead."

I've always liked this picture of the Goddess.

Sacrifices to a Demon!

MAA vs Skeletor...and Skeletor is WINNING! And Teela is a BEAST in combat!
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; August 3, 2009 at 02:19pm.

Hey MegaGearMax. Great thread! Thanks for posting it.
    I am also one of those who grew up with the minicomics as this was the only thing I could get at that time in eastern Europe – ‘behind the iron curtain’. Actually I have never seen any of the filmation episodes. Conan-like He-Man being a skilled warrior from the jungle, joined by Man-at-Arms and Stratos to fight against Skeletor; creepy Castle Grayskull, Green Godess, blonde Teela, Zoar with armor and laser … all the early stuff with mystery surrounding everything – I like it a lot. There was no real back story and so a lot of space left for your imagination and fantasy to come up with your own MOTU world.

Regarding the pre-filmation characters: I could come up with more of them that might be interesting in MOTUC at some point. But this is just my opinion.
    I really like this blue monster He-Man was fighting in ‘He-Man and the Power Sword’, I also like demon Haramesh from minicomics ‘Siege of Avion’. Also as King Hsss has his army of snake-men and Hordak has his Horde Troopers – Skeletor never had any army. So I always imagined that since he is the most evil being in MOTU he deserves an army that is really devilish. Somehow I never liked Skeletor’s bone warriors. But in the early minicomics ‘Siege of Avion’, ‘Power of Point Dread’, ‘Masks of Power’ there are the Ilkorts (Orcs) who would be a great devilish army for Skeletor. And the two demons from ‘Masks of Power’ would be interesting figures too. But yes, I know everyone has his/her favorite characters and not everything can be done and I am not sure how well such characters would be selling as figures … so this was just an idea.

Last edited by MegaGearMax; August 3, 2009 at 04:44pm.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    http://www.dyerworks.com/he-man/mini/TaleofTeela11-12.jpg
    MAA vs Skeletor...and Skeletor is WINNING! And Teela is a BEAST in combat!
    It would be interesting to see Green Goddess come with an energy shield like she constructs in this picture. That would be awesome to see it in all light green plastic and possibly even look like Stinkor's shield or something to that effect. On that same note, it would've been interesting to see Skeletor with his various red energy constructs that he's shown with in most of these pictures as well.

MOTUC would have to do pretty well for energy constructs to happen. DCUC is just starting to do this with the Green and Yellow Lantern figures.

Maybe if the accessory packs do well, we might get those things...like the power swords with a nimbus of translucent energy around the blade.

The era..

I know there have been some question about the time frame. I know for fact that I saw the first commercials in the summer of 1981 and drove my parents nuts from then on. The first commercial I saw was during a Saturday cartoon fest (which used to be ever Sat. morning across the board from 7 - 11 am) and was the one where Beastman busts through the open jawbridge at the beginning. I was so shocked and hooked by that one commercial that my Mom didn't have to ask what I wanted that Christmas. That Christmas in 1981 I had two small and one big present; which was two figure packs where the figures were wrapped by my Mom back-to-back, and Castle Grayskull. She had tried to get me two good and two bad guys but fumbled it a bit. I got He-man and Teela together, and Skeletor and Stratos together. I didn't care about the slight mix-up. My parents didn't see me the rest of that holiday without some plastic muscle man in my hands. That memory is embedded as my favorite Christmas of all time and the year is also without question. Mom still has photos!
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

I had mine in Spanish, and them were released there after Filmation began, and had cut pages too, I think it was because they were against/different from Filmation canon or because they were to much violent...

Can we consider the RPG Rulebook from FASA like a pre-filmation or non filmation influenced?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_AGpmsqIe_O...lebook-001.jpg
    Now available for commissions.

Subscribe to TMNT Redesign Challenge News,
    if you want to be update to every The Technodrome Redesign Challenge.

Check my customs at Figure Realm
    Deviantart - http://gomes31.deviantart.com/
    www.facebook.com/Ulisses31Omega
    www.facebook.com/PauloGomesArt
    If you cannot convince them, confuse them. - Harry S Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Ulisses31 View Post
    Can we consider the RPG Rulebook from FASA like a pre-filmation or non filmation influenced?
    I'm really curious to see what kind of content is in that Roleplaying game.
    Does anyone have a copy?

Thanks for those links, Uli!

Here's a laser blasting good time!! Everyone seemed to have energy weapons in the old minis.

Last edited by MegaGearMax; January 12, 2010 at 01:41pm.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Thanks for those links, Uli!

Here's a laser blasting good time!! Everyone seemed to have energy weapons in the old minis.
    Everyone except He-Man!! That's why I always thought Stratos didn't need to come with a weapon, he fires laser blasts from his hands!!

Quote Originally Posted by He-Man54 View Post
    Everyone except He-Man!! That's why I always thought Stratos didn't need to come with a weapon, he fires laser blasts from his hands!!
    Actually, the weapon molded on the original figures hand (which was a duplicate of Beastman) was what shot the flame beam. Both characters used this 'claw' weapon as a beam gun.
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

So...what do you guys think of the Battle Chariot? I think it's a pretty cool drawing. I only like the pre-filmation vehicles, so if they ever made one of these, it would be on my list!

Very cool vehicle. It's got a ruggedness about it that I like.