Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pre-Filmation Era in MOTUC Thread

Widget
    Awesome thread. Just joined the site and found this. The pre-Filmation universe is always my first love and I have styled my drawings and sketches in this way. This is always where my mind will first go when MOTU comes up.

One of my favorite memories of the First Four is when MAA runs to get help from He-Man and when he rides up He-Man is a sarcastic jerk. MAA then gives a cold reply. It certainly wasn't all hugs and laughter in this Eternia.

Oh, and that Glut interview. I feel bad for the interviewer. He was asking great questions but nearly all of it was "don't know, don't care". OK, if you want to be bitter, I can understand why, but feel a little pride for how many people it has inspired over the years and how much influence your quickie job has had. Take it as a testament to your abilities Mr. Glut, instead seeing it only through dollar goggles. Dude.

Welcome Mechastar,
    I hope you have as much fun here as I do!!!
    Maybe you can post some of your drawings and sketches.
    Teela the Warrior Goddess is my homegirl.

How many people here think that in MOTUC, The Goddess and The Sorceress (the Filamtion version) are the same?

How many think that while Veena was the first Sorceress of Grayskull, Sharella has been around since her tribal days as The Goddess?
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

I love the Pre-Filmation stuff. I just did an update of DC TEELA:

Last edited by Vahn; May 15, 2011 at 09:02pm.
    "I damned the world to save my daughter once... and I will do it for her again."
    I do custom action figures, commissioned art, and I will make any Masters of the Universe costume, tailored to you!
    View my website! http://www.havocstaff.50megs.com

Cool picture of DC Teela. However, she looks a bit young (and flat chested), as if that's her training bra.
    Bikini Teela: Hottest version ever!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    How many people here think that in MOTUC, The Goddess and The Sorceress (the Filamtion version) are the same?

How many think that while Veena was the first Sorceress of Grayskull, Sharella has been around since her tribal days as The Goddess?
    I think the Goddess and the Sorceress are one in the same.

The facts as we know them:

--Teela is the Clone daughter of the Sorceress
    --Teela's moniker is "Warrior Goddess"
    --Teela looks identical to the Goddess
    --The Goddess was originally called "The Sorceress"

If they don't make the Sorceress and the Goddess the same person or give them some kind of connection, it's kind of nonsensical.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Cool pic, Vahn.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash77 View Post
    If they don't make the Sorceress and the Goddess the same person or give them some kind of connection, it's kind of nonsensical.
    I believe they would think that they could sell more toys if they made them two different people, but I think The Sorceress will have no problem selling.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Teela-Na View Post
    Cool picture of DC Teela. However, she looks a bit young (and flat chested), as if that's her training bra.
    Yeah, I always thought it was stupid to draw someone that's supposed to be as athletic as TEELA with massive boobs.
    "I damned the world to save my daughter once... and I will do it for her again."
    I do custom action figures, commissioned art, and I will make any Masters of the Universe costume, tailored to you!
    View my website! http://www.havocstaff.50megs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vahn View Post
    Yeah, I always thought it was stupid to draw someone that's supposed to be as athletic as TEELA with massive boobs.
    When it comes to fantasy, it's filled with idealized ripped men and voluptuous women, so reality or realism is thrown out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Vahn View Post
    I don't want her with massive boobs as I don't like massive boobs, but she does look really young like she's just entered her teens.

The Vengeance of Skeletor gets a turn.

Beautiful! Keep it up, Whip!

More MotU Classics mini-comics fun!
    Skeletor on the edge of the valcono, what a classic image! One of my favorites!

Whiplash, I LOVE It!!
    Kuduk Ungol for MOTUC. All steeds for MOTUC. Fully-articulated Cringer for MOTUC. Point Dread and Talon Fighter for MOTUC.

Quote Originally Posted by Kafos View Post
    Hey I have a question. Pre-filmation, what purpose did the power swords have? Was it JUST a key to the castle, or more? I know it wasn't the sword it became in the cartoon, that transformed He-Man, but did it have any power, besides the key factor pre-filmation?
    The Sword of Power was a weapon almost without a conceivable equal. It was seperated to prevent anyone from having that much power and wasn't the key to Grayskull to begin with.

In the mini's, one half was originally hidden in Castle Grayskull as one of the Castles secrets. At the end of the story, the Goddess/Sorceress enchants the Castle so that no one could enter the Castle by force (as happened twice in that story), instead both halves of the power sword would be needed. The sword is itself one of the many prizes of Castle Grayskull and contains great magics.

In the DC comics, the Sword of Power is the MacGuffin of the series, not Grayskull. The Sorceress/Goddess, in an ironic move, placed the halves inside Grayskull which was still enchanted to only allow entry to the one who has the sword. The whole miniseries is actually a good read and it's all focused on Skeletor blackmailing He-man while battling a rival also scheming on how to claim the sword without entering the castle. This version of Skeletor is a multiversal world destroyer, who had never come across power like that of the sword, sufficient to wipe out entire cosmos' with but a thought.

While the upper limits of the Power Sword is unknown, it could animate inanimate object, teleport, blast, transmogrify, and more.

I think I may be an oddity in this thread, as I got into He-man via Filmation and that was what I grew up with, like many, I thought Mattel got a lot of it "wrong" in their minicomics and whatnot. It was about the time I joined here as an adult that I got a chance to read the original minicomics and the DC issues and was amazed by how different and far more interesting the story was. There is so much story potential and such a great setup, with fascinating characters in a unique environment of fantasy and sci-fi that it's far and away my favorite version of MOTU (and who can't love that original box art?!?). When I get Skeletor (and Green Goddess) next month, it won't be the bumbling buffoon or Keldor, but Skeletor, dimension traveling planet destroyer, bearer of the Sword of Power.

As an aside, an interesting note, He-man never beats Skeletor in a fight. The Goddess/Sorceress deus ex machina's Skeletors victory more then once and every other time it's a team effort (including a three on one of He-man, Teela, and Stratos). Skeletor also never uses the Havoc Staff. Lastly, there seemed to be no consistancy on what kind of feet he has. From purple boots with regular feet, to bare clawed human type feet with shin guards, to three toed boots to three toed claws with shin guards.
    Last edited by Pravus Prime; November 15, 2009 at 08:11pm.
    Matty, Great Black Wizard figure please!

Nice thread, OP. Just signed up here and had to comment. The Pre Filmation comics were the MOTU continuity that my friends and I always used when we played with our figures. It seemed less "kiddy" and was more interesting IMO. Thanks for reminding me of some things I forgot about.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Beautiful! Keep it up, Whip!
    Quote Originally Posted by artodron View Post
    More MotU Classics mini-comics fun!
    Skeletor on the edge of the valcono, what a classic image! One of my favorites!
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidSummers View Post
    Whiplash, I LOVE It!!
    Cheers guys, glad you liked them!
    Unfortunately there's not much else I can do right now so...here's a couple "one-shots" from different books.

How about some stuff from the Texeira books? Those were awesome.

Pravus Prime, I am glad you mentioned that in the old minis, the Sword was only one of the many secrets of Castle Grayskull. I am interested to get the map in my sub to see the details regarding Grayskull's power. The bios seems to delve into the Sword's history quite a bit:

-Ro's acceptance of the Sword of He and subsequent passing of it to King Grayskull
    -the splitting of the Sword
    -Sharella's appointment of guardians of the Sword
    -Adam's harnessing of the complete Sword
    -the cloning thereof to create the Sword of Protection

I wonder, in MOTUC, how significant was the castle before the Sword wound up inside? Was it only the (Ancestral? Newly built?) home of the King? Does it have some greater cosmic importance? I like to believe that it does, that KG was named for the castle, having been appointed King by Sharella to guard this place. Perhaps it exists at a certain nexus point of cosmic power, that the Overlords of Trolla and the Cosmic Enforcers exist partly to maintain its protection, thusly ensuring the safety of the Universe.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

I think it does have great cosmic importance. I like to think that it's actually located at the center of the universe, and whoever wields the sword will unlock all of the knowledge and secrets of the cosmos. A mysterious, scientific wonder.

EXACTLY!!! I have always loved the whole Center-of-the-universe concept. The intro to the '87 movie is another great outline of the importance of Grayskull. I like to think that it is the MOTU equivelent of the warehouse in ROTLA/KOTCS, a storehouse for all the Universe's MacGuffins.

Whiplash77 Thanks again for the Classics images! Both Stratos & Skeletors picture are very good!
    I bet you can't wait to get The Goddess figure so you can do the illustration on you avatar! One of my favorites as well.

Thanks man! As for The Goddess, I already did some test posing with Teela, but it doesn't work out so hot, lol. It isn't possible to replicate the pose exactly b/c of the snake armor.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Pravus Prime View Post
    I think I may be an oddity in this thread, as I got into He-man via Filmation and that was what I grew up with, like many, I thought Mattel got a lot of it "wrong" in their minicomics and whatnot. It was about the time I joined here as an adult that I got a chance to read the original minicomics and the DC issues and was amazed by how different and far more interesting the story was. There is so much story potential and such a great setup, with fascinating characters in a unique environment of fantasy and sci-fi that it's far and away my favorite version of MOTU (and who can't love that original box art?!?). When I get Skeletor (and Green Goddess) next month, it won't be the bumbling buffoon or Keldor, but Skeletor, dimension traveling planet destroyer, bearer of the Sword of Power.
    It's always good news when we hear remarks like this! The movement is growing!
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

If you haven't checked this out yet.

I'm sorry in advance if someone already posted this here but have you checked out this thread on an unpublished He-man origin comic in the Original Masters forum ?
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=179059

Very interesting reading! It MAY be pre-filmation. It certainly different in a good way(I think). Sallah & a few others are trying to find out its origins and what time frame it comes from. You can view what has been found, collected by Grimbot on the 3rd page.