Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pre-Filmation Era in MOTUC Thread

Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    It's always good news when we hear remarks like this! The movement is growing!
    Heh, don't thank me for appreciating a good story! Re-reading them again, I think series 2 of the mini-comics told the best story as an overall and could be a great stepping stone for a fresh take on the franchise.

It also makes me want a Talon Fighter.

I've also become inspired to get those characters and have that as my MOTU display/setting/universe.
    Last edited by Pravus Prime; December 15, 2009 at 05:27am.
    Matty, Great Black Wizard figure please!

Heroic Warrior
    For me it was The Magic Stealer! and The Power of... Point Dread! more than any of the other minicomics that shaped Eternia. I had a couple of other Series Two minis (where I met Ram Man and Man-E-Faces) but those stories were not quite as dramatic.

I had a couple of the Series One minis as well, although one of them didn't have the text in English so I had to figure out what the story was about from the pictures.

I actually missed out on a fair chunk of the canon from the first two series, which is why the Powersword in my Grayskull trilogy is not a blade split in two - I didn't know about that story!

I also didn't know about Trap Jaw and Tri-Klops' background either, although now I do, I'm disappointed that the MOTUC bios for them don't match those original ideas.

It's probably a bit strange for someone like me to say the Powersword legend is not part of my interpretation, but even though it is a big part of MOTU canon, it's not a big thing for me.

I prefer to think of the Powersword as a unique weapon that only has power in the hand of the one destined to wield it. So sorry, Skeletor, yours isn't half of the key to Grayskull in my book!
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Heroic Warrior
    I LOVE the pre-filmation era!

It's what I grew up on and it's how I was introduced to MOTU. I'm gonna touch on several topics in this post, since i've just now read this thread.

Though I like the Filmation era, and I don't hate Prince Adam like a lot of folks do, I still love the old stuff.

I love all the Alcala stuff. His Skeletor was BOSS!

I remember the first toys I got. I got a He-Man/Wind Raider 2 pack and a Skeletor figure.

I knew nothing of the line at that time. My mom introduced me to it. She knew they were new figures, and I remember her telling me that I could collect that line from the very start. I was sold. He-Man looked like the ultimate hero. He looked like I would've chosen to when I grew up. Skeletor looked like the demons I had heard about in church. The epitomy of evil. I loved the muscular builds, as I always thought that's how a real man should look.

I played with the toys for years and years. I loved the mini's. The mini's gave me all my first info on the background of everyone and everything.

Red Beast Man, Green Goddess, etc. In the words of Paris Hilton, LOVES IT!

I also love this thread.

On post #239, the picture of the spirit of Grayskull always intrigued me. I wish we could actually see his face at some point. I'm guessing that it must be King Grayskull? I always loved that picture. With the face blacked out and the purple sash draped over him.

Whiplash77, that's good stuff.

As far as the Goddess/Sorceress/Teela situation. Here's how I will forever look at it...

The Goddess is the first person He-Man meets within the Masters of the Universe. The Goddess is a spiritual, but human being with magical powers. She lives in the forest, in a cave, and is always surrounded by animals. She is a peaceful heroine, who was chosen to guide and to train "He-Man" warriors and protect the weapons. She and the Sorceress are different characters with different missions. As far as appearance, the Goddess has green skin and always wears the cobra armor. She is armed with the cobra staff of Ka, the staff of the Elders, and a shield.

The Sorceress lives in Castle Grayskull. She is the chosen one to protect it and all of it's magical, ancient powers. She can exit the castle anytime she wants, and she doesn't turn into Zoar. She simply can communicate with and through the falcon using telepathy. Zoar is her pet, spy, scout, and messenger. As far as appearance, she looks like she does in the Filmation series and everything since then. With the wings and with the bird-like cowl.

Teela is the cloned daughter of BOTH the Goddess and the Sorceress. She has aspects of them both. Teela carries a sword, shield, and occasionally a laser pistol. However, the pistol isn't needed much later because Duncan creates the wrist gauntlets with freeze ray blasters. Though, she does still carry it in a holster around her waist much like the upcoming Princess Adora figure. Teela is later presented with her own cobra armor and the staff of Ka by her half mother, Goddess. She comes in to those items, much like Adam and later, Adora, come in to the swords of he-she/power-protection.

On to the next:

What's this talk about Beast Man and Stratos having claw-like weapons that shoot fire beams? Where does this come from? In the old mini's, I've seen Stratos fire beams from his hands, and I remember seeing Beast Man do it only once, I think. I just always assumed those blasts came from their wrist gauntlets. What's this about a claw over their hands? Like the claw/shield that Lion-O has from Thundercats? I know this item wasn't with the toys as a weapon, so this must've been talked about in a comic or something. But i've seen most of those and don't remember anything like it.

On to the next:

I'd love to see some of the old mini-comic characters make it to toy form. For example...

I'd love to see Geldor. He had an awesome look and was presented as a major villian aside from Skeletor. I always thought there would be more to come from Geldor. Hopefully there will be even though it's been nearly 30 years. I would have thought this guy would at least go on to the level of someone like Count Marzo or someone like that.

I also loved Lodar. How could you not? He's just plain scary looking. Evil. Like there is no mercy in him. Look at the mace he uses. He even carries the weapon of a heavy hitter. It seemed like there was no emotion or sympothy behind that black mask.

Also from that same mini, Slave City, I always thought the warrior He-Man was forced to fight, Garn, would make a good figure. Maybe after the fight, he could join the defenders of Eternia and help out.

And what was the blue, four-armed monster called? That would be a cool figure, too.

Long live pre-filmation MOTU!!!

Darth Bong
    Last edited by Darth Bong; December 17, 2009 at 04:51am.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Bong View Post
    And what was the blue, four-armed monster called?
    Darth Bong
    Where was that from? I can only think of Procrustus the god of the inner world from The Magic Stealer! and the glorm from He-Man Meets Ram Man.

Darth Bong, I would take any of those, but I also need refreshing on the blue character you menioned...
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

I LOVE the pre-filmation era!

It's what I grew up on and it's how I was introduced to MOTU.
    Another righteous warrior!

On post #239, the picture of the spirit of Grayskull always intrigued me. I wish we could actually see his face at some point. I'm guessing that it must be King Grayskull? I always loved that picture. With the face blacked out and the purple sash draped over him.

Whiplash77, that's good stuff.
    Thanks!
    As for the mysterious person, I've always gone under the assumption that it's a visualization of the legend, as the Spirit tells it to Teela. It's an unknown warrior who will claim the power sword, and then the castle itself. It's left ambiguous as to who it might be.
    (In my recreation there, it's actually 3 different figures mixed and matched for those two pictures. )

I also like your explanation of the Goddess/Sorceress. It could work for the bios in this line. What you wrote is exactly how I picture the goddess to be honest. Although I don't know how I feel about them being 2 separate people (yet!). I'm partial to the idea that The Goddess becomes the Sorceress of Grayskull. But, good stuff!

On to the next:

What's this talk about Beast Man and Stratos having claw-like weapons that shoot fire beams? Where does this come from? In the old mini's, I've seen Stratos fire beams from his hands, and I remember seeing Beast Man do it only once, I think. I just always assumed those blasts came from their wrist gauntlets. What's this about a claw over their hands? Like the claw/shield that Lion-O has from Thundercats? I know this item wasn't with the toys as a weapon, so this must've been talked about in a comic or something. But i've seen most of those and don't remember anything like it.
    It was sculpted onto the backs of their hands (maybe just the right hand) on the vintage toys ... it was sort of like a bar with three (or so) points/claws running up the back of the hand toward the knuckles.

This is the only picture I could find of it, and it's not very good:

I remember it being slightly more defined than this, but it's been a while.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks, Whiplash77.

And thanks to j-bird for the pic.

You know, I do kinda remember that now, but I never had really thought of it as a weapon.

I can see that now. It's like a claw device that is worn over the hand. Almost like reverse brass knuckles or something. And yeah, i'd agree, that's probably where the laser blasts are coming from.

That's observant. I've had those very toys all my life, and never really paid that much attention to the sculpting of the top of the hands.

That's pretty awesome. Are the MOTUC figures designed with those? I don't have Beast Man or Stratos.

Darth Bong

EDIT:

I went to Matty.com and checked out the hands on Beast Man and Stratos. You can't really tell if Stratos has it, but you can tell that Beast Man does for sure. I wonder why there's no mention to it?

Darth Bong
    Last edited by Darth Bong; December 18, 2009 at 05:38am.

Are the MOTUC figures designed with those?
    beast man has it on his left hand, and it's painted a red color that doesn't really match the rest of his reds very well. i'm not sure about stratos (he's packed away right now).

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    ***Please be sure to remove images when replying with a quote, Thanks***

Quote Originally Posted by LORD FALLEN ELDOR View Post
    As others have said, she is the original sorceress. Given her mastery over Castle Grayskull and the Power Sword, it isn't hard to imagine she had something to do with the origin of them both. In the series bible she appeared to Zodac & The Council of Eldes giving them guidance. With everything we have learned about The Great Wars, its easy to believe that she battled Serpos and the Snake Men.
    She could be the one who created the Power Sword, and could have helped the man named Grayskull become king! Now that Mattel used the name Sharella, they might be implying that she had something to do with He-Ro's upbringing...She could still be related to Teela considering the resemblance. The Goddess might be an ancient ancestor to Teela this time around. Since Teela is only a duplicate of her "mother" (The SorceressTeelana/Zoar) that means Teela can unite the power of Zoar and the Kobra when she becomes the Sorceress in the future. Two halves of one whole...In my mind the Goddess is as important to the drama and history of Eternia as Zodac, The Sorceress, King Grayskull, He-Ro, He-Man, She-Ra and Teela...

http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/...y/221_full.jpg
    http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/...y/241_full.jpg
    http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/...des/8_full.jpg
    http://www.he-man.org/cartoon/docume...=18&image=1461

I've ways felt she should have been colored green by DC comics.
    Whiplash, how about some figure pics of these scenes?

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash77 View Post
    Teela was one character in the 1st 4 comics. She only wore the snake armor in one page, when Mer-Man captured her. She was always the warrior goddess.
    In the original stories, there were two Teelas: the warrior woman (sometimes captain of the guard) and the sorceress/goddess.
    Last edited by Teelor; December 28, 2009 at 03:40pm.
    I want to smurf your smurf.

Heroic Warrior
    I like blond Teela, and also would love to see her on her unicorn charger!

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    Not that I'm the absolute authority on the subject, but I did a thorough recap on the whole teela/sorceress/goddess thing only a few pages back on this thread:

Volume 1 books:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...&postcount=227

Volume 2 books:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...&postcount=246

Sure, one can come to different conclusions from the same source material, but the info is out there for whoever wants to know more about what was actually presented in the books.
    My MOTUC top 10 wants (POST SDCC 2014):

Queen Angella - Hunga the Harpy - Peekablue - Toy Catra - Veena - Red Knight - Vultak - Dylamug - Sibyline - Kex Queen

Small creatures that need to happen: 3 main twiggets

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    I have to say that I enjoy the Pre-Filmation MOTU and the Flimation/MYP MOTU (Moreso MYP...) EQUALLY but for obviously different reasons.

The true, gritty, Sword and Sorcery feel of the Minis is incredible and you can really see the essence of how the brand was intended.

I do believe though that without the Superhero-ification of MOTU done by Filmation, the property wouldn;t have been as large a success. Comerically, the brand exploded because the original 'Toon was an unqualified smash hit.

What I REALLY love about the Pre-Film era is the thought of later characters such as FISTO, JITSU, TWO BAD and SPIKOR in this style ....... Or what about a Pre-Film HORDAK???

With all the anticipation for the Wun-Dar exclusive figure, I'm intrigued to know how a jungle/first appearance MOTUC He-Man figure would look, if based on the original mini-comic.

Would the figure be a total He-Man repaint with colours to match the cover of He-Man and the Power Sword?

Should the 4H sculpt a dagger sticking out of the top of jungle He-Man's right boot?

Should he have unique armor featuring red squares down the back straps, as per page 23 of the original mini-comic?

Or Should Jungle He-Man come as he first appeared on pages 1-4 of the mini-comic with bare feet, without arm buckles and string-tied furry-shorts (instead of the normal belted shorts).

If so, would he come with pack-in armor or rely on the armor included with Goddess figure? (Personally, if we get a jungle He-Man figure I would like to see him packed bare-chested on the card).

Should jungle He-Man have longer hair than the normal He-Man sculpt (perhaps in homage to the 2nd series of mini-comics).

And finally what weapons should he come with? For my mind I'd like the spear plus He-Man's battle axe and shield. I don't think jungle He-Man needs a power-sword.

I'm sorry if all this has already be covered somewhere else but am interested in what the consensus is on how this character should be presented if we are to ever get him in hard MOTUC plastic.

There's a thread about Barbarian He-Man here. Good stuff!

As for the minicomic page request, I did one up:

Last edited by Whiplash7; December 27, 2009 at 03:35pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by 80's Enthusiast View Post
    What I REALLY love about the Pre-Film era is the thought of later characters such as FISTO, JITSU, TWO BAD and SPIKOR in this style ....... Or what about a Pre-Film HORDAK???
    Do you mean redesigning the MOTUC figures in a more barbarian style, or are you thinking about pre-Filmation background stories?

If you mean the latter, I'm definitely with you on that - it was something I tried to hint at in my Grayskull trilogy on my site. Hordak forced Randor's father into exile. Fisto was a childhood friend of Man-At-Arms and Randor.

Classic & 200X fan
    I'd take this stuff over Filmation ANY day. Matter of fact, I just can't watch Filmation. I'm someone who would not even care if they made a Adam figure. All these pics are amazing!
    big geek

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    Do you mean redesigning the MOTUC figures in a more barbarian style, or are you thinking about pre-Filmation background stories?

If you mean the latter, I'm definitely with you on that - it was something I tried to hint at in my Grayskull trilogy on my site. Hordak forced Randor's father into exile. Fisto was a childhood friend of Man-At-Arms and Randor.
    I was more going toward the background stories or the characterizations in the Mini-verse....Fisto written as a crusty (rusty?) Norseman? Spikor as a more menacing, beastial creature?

The stories were much more dark and ominous. I'd love to see these later characters in the Pre-Flimation style....

I like the mini-comic stuff more and more each day. Still like Filmation (and would probably like it more if I had had access to it more as a kid other than the few tapes I could rent at the local video store), but these mini-comics were what was primarily around for me as a kid MOTU-media wise and they grow on me more and more as an adult, unlike Filmation.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

I substituted the green Goddess for the caucasian looking version here.
    Guess that minicomic.

Could it be the minicomic were we get to know that Teela is a clone?
    Now available for commissions.

Subscribe to TMNT Redesign Challenge News,
    if you want to be update to every The Technodrome Redesign Challenge.

Check my customs at Figure Realm
    Deviantart - http://gomes31.deviantart.com/
    www.facebook.com/Ulisses31Omega
    www.facebook.com/PauloGomesArt
    If you cannot convince them, confuse them. - Harry S Truman

These are great, Whiplash77.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ulisses31 View Post
    Could it be the minicomic were we get to know that Teela is a clone?
    A good guess. But WRONG!

Thanks Uki!

I would speculate that it's the Ordeal of the Man-E-Faces by elimination. I thought it was the Tale of Teela. I can't think of other mini comics off hand where Teela is captured (she was knocked up... I mean knocked out in The Terror of Tri-Klops) and she didn't feature in He-Man meets Ram Man or the Power of Point Dread. It isn't the Menace of Trapjaw either. The only other one is the Magic Stealer but that scene doesn't fit in with the plot.

Those pictures are great. I wouldn't mind if the Sorceress WAS green but she does look lovely caucasian too. You can see that her snake helmet is a separate piece to the body armor, unlike the figure.
    Bikini Teela: Hottest version ever!!