Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pre-Filmation Era in MOTUC Thread

Anyone remember in one of the early He-Man annuals when Orko was named Gorpo? It wasn't in the mini comics. I wonder if that would ever be made canonical and turned into a separate character?
    Bikini Teela: Hottest version ever!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teela-Na View Post
    Anyone remember in one of the early He-Man annuals when Orko was named Gorpo? It wasn't in the mini comics. I wonder if that would ever be made canonical and turned into a separate character?
    LOL! Knowing this line, he could be!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

The blonde Teela looks good, the hair is a little bit to yellow in comparesing with her gold applications in my opinion and would need same more shades, no with hair it´s called highlights...right?

But it just hit me when i saw the pictures from the mini comics, her steed, that´s another BEAST they could do especially when Swiftwind is ready and done! Perfect reuse! It(he or she) would only need different feet and a different head for the unicorn!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    But it just hit me when i saw the pictures from the mini comics, her steed, that´s another BEAST they could do especially when Swiftwind is ready and done! Perfect reuse! It(he or she) would only need different feet and a different head for the unicorn!

I agree - the unicorn would be a good choice. I actually think some 'ordinary' steeds (horses) would be a good addition - until we get some vehicles, our characters have to queue up to borrow Battle Cat.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    I was working on her gold unicorn using a Breyer horse but I scrapped it when I heard they were making Swift Wind which unlike the Breyer horse will probably feature articulation and be in better scale with the figures. Now I just have to pray I can get an extra one!

BTW, my blond Teela custom post was moved here.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=195962

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

Who is left in Pre-Filmation?

We have:

Jungle Barbarian He-Man
    Blonde Teela
    DC Bikini Teela
    Caucasian Stratos
    Orange and Red Ram Man
    Pale Man-E-Faces
    Blue Vested Adam
    Red Beast Man
    Green Trap Jaw
    Mini-comic Tri-Klops???
    Procrustus

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Warrior
    I still want glorms! Loads of them! I would also like to see palace guards created in the style seen in The Magic Stealer! Skeletor's army in The Power Of... Point Dread! (Gary Cohn version) would be a good army-builder option too.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    We have:

Jungle Barbarian He-Man
    Blonde Teela
    DC Bikini Teela
    Caucasian Stratos
    Orange and Red Ram Man
    Pale Man-E-Faces
    Blue Vested Adam
    Red Beast Man
    Green Trap Jaw
    Mini-comic Tri-Klops???
    Procrustus
    I'd add that purple beast from "He-Man and the Power Sword."

But I think I may be alone on that one so I may have to settle for painting this guy purple and modding him.

Wow, this thread is a real trip down memory lane. It inspired me to get of my lazy, lurking butt and participate.

I also got into Motu through the mini comics and DC comics, and reading the responses in this great thread has reminded me just how different Motu was back then as opposed to the Filmation era.

To tell the truth, I hated the Filmation cartoon for the longest time. It was so different to the motu universe I had grown to love, and honestly I thought Orko was a real pain in the rear end.
    The comics were much darker and more mature than the cartoon (imo) and the cartoon just didn't fill me with the same sense of wonder that the comics did.
    I've come to really love the cartoon (and Orko!) now, but back then it seemed stupid and childish.

Zodac was probably my favourite character from that pre-filmation era. I loved his overall look and his awesome flying chair.

Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes0217 View Post
    I was working on her gold unicorn using a Breyer horse but I scrapped it when I heard they were making Swift Wind which unlike the Breyer horse will probably feature articulation and be in better scale with the figures. Now I just have to pray I can get an extra one!
    I wish you all the luck and i would like to see that then, i´m sure it will make a great addition to your blonde Teela!!!

i would like to belive the 'Defensor' robot in castle greyskull is applicable in the "pre-filmation" era. (at least i hope so) id like to see the 4h do something with that design!

Quote Originally Posted by Neal1972 View Post
    I also got into Motu through the mini comics and DC comics, and reading the responses in this great thread has reminded me just how different Motu was back then as opposed to the Filmation era.
    Same for me. Good you found this thread, it's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by victoryleo19 View Post
    i would like to belive the 'Defensor' robot in castle greyskull is applicable in the "pre-filmation" era. (at least i hope so) id like to see the 4h do something with that design!
    Great idea! My play storylines as a kid often involved that cardboard cutout. Having him...or even snap on armor that looked like him would be fun.

Heroic Warrior

Pre-Filmation stories coming soon on www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

A quick heads-up for you pre-Filmation era fans here. I have recently finished writing a new MOTU trilogy and three short stories for my Vaults of Grayskull website. The tales continue the themes begun in the Grayskull trilogy, which appeared when the site was launched.

I never anticipated writing a sequel to the original trilogy, but the Classics gave me a few ideas and inspired me to write something new.

The fiction will appear at the same time as several new pages on the site. I shall make an announcement in the next day or so in the main Classics boards, but as my site has a particular focus on pre-Filmation stories, I thought I should mention it in this thread first!

I don't know if this has been mentioned but there is also a blue vested Adam variant of sorts. He appears in DC comics presents #47, he's wearing a vest but it's different than the blue vest of the DC mini series or the early mini comics. It actually looks like he's wearing a red vest over a blue shirt. I love this look and think it would be cool to have this as a figure.

Wanted: Episode 40 Comic.

Elder Councilman
    Y'know....I think I finally figured out my problem with the pre-Filmation stuff:

for whatever reason, just staring at that shot of Oo-Larr seeing the Goddess in trouble reminds me somehow of stuff I was taught in Sunday school, and I'm not sure why.

And don't get me wrong...I love--LOVE--history. But it's not only as though it's being taught in a boring way, but that it's trying to combine it with the stereotypical late 1800s style "evil villain steals the girl away who will either marry him, or be thrown on the train track"; and it all comes off like a massive train-wreck to me.

Don' get me wrong...I love darker storylines, don't even think I don't. But this just feels like medieval times combined with a destitute wasteland, and not even remotely in a cool way; it just feels so boring, and unappealing. Almost...like Land of the Lost, minus the dinosaurs.

Again, this is just my perspective on it.

But I am really glad it's being combined into the new MOTUC canon, which thankfully includes King Randor, Keldor, the Horde, etc..
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Quote Originally Posted by KingRandor82 View Post
    for whatever reason, just staring at that shot of Oo-Larr seeing the Goddess in trouble reminds me somehow of stuff I was taught in Sunday school, and I'm not sure why.
    It's not Oo-Lar.

It's He-Man.

Elder Councilman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    It's not Oo-Lar.

It's He-Man.
    you know what I mean.

you know what I mean.
    Try to stay factually accurate. "Oo-lar" is a character created in the MOTUC canon. He is a homage to the original version of He-Man.

This comic is about He-Man, and thinking of characters in the Classics canon terms is totally incorrect.

Elder Councilman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Try to stay factually accurate. "Oo-lar" is a character created in the MOTUC canon. He is a homage to the original version of He-Man.

This comic is about He-Man, and thinking of characters in the Classics canon terms is totally incorrect.
    fine, then He-Man.

Care to focus on anything else I said otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    I don't know if this has been mentioned but there is also a blue vested Adam variant of sorts. He appears in DC comics presents #47, he's wearing a vest but it's different than the blue vest of the DC mini series or the early mini comics. It actually looks like he's wearing a red vest over a blue shirt. I love this look and think it would be cool to have this as a figure.

http://he-man.org/assets/images/coll.../0519_full.jpg

http://he-man.org/assets/images/coll.../0618_full.jpg
    Personally, I'd be happy with the blue vest look from the DC mini-series in preference to the look in those pictures.

What I do like in those pages, as in the 2nd series mini-comics, is the look of those variant Palace Guards. I'd like some of those in MOTUC to guard Point Dread.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Heroic Warrior
    Y'know....I think I finally figured out my problem with the pre-Filmation stuff:

And don't get me wrong...I love--LOVE--history. But it's not only as though it's being taught in a boring way, but that it's trying to combine it with the stereotypical late 1800s style "evil villain steals the girl away who will either marry him, or be thrown on the train track"; and it all comes off like a massive train-wreck to me.

Don' get me wrong...I love darker storylines, don't even think I don't. But this just feels like medieval times combined with a destitute wasteland, and not even remotely in a cool way; it just feels so boring, and unappealing. Almost...like Land of the Lost, minus the dinosaurs.

Again, this is just my perspective on it.

But I am really glad it's being combined into the new MOTUC canon, which thankfully includes King Randor, Keldor, the Horde, etc..
    I think the desolate landscape is a really important feature of the Series One minicomics, because it encouraged imagination. What lay beyond the mountains? What lurked in the depths of those endless oceans? How ancient was the mysterious fortress that stood proudly on the open plain?

I will admit, however, that the first set of minis did not appeal to me as much as the second set from the story-telling point of view. The Gary Cohn tales were, to my mind, stronger stories. I liked the illustrations more too. But there is something special about those early Alcala images, and the wilderness they portrayed will always be inspiring.

I'll take a barbarian wandering out of the woods with noble goals over the same old superhero/secret identity rehash story any day.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes0217 View Post
    I'll take a barbarian wandering out of the woods with noble goals over the same old superhero/secret identity rehash story any day.
    That's a good way of putting it. The superhero thing is brilliant in the right context (ie on Earth), but not on Eternia!