Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pre-Filmation Era in MOTUC Thread

While the Goddess' green skinned version was only in the first mini, she appeared in several follow up mini comics as a separate entity than Teela. Yes, she was normal flesh tone, but it was the Goddess in snake armor glory.
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

Did Queen Marlena ever appear in the mini-comics with auburn hair?

I've seen the green dress, but she had white hair. Did her hair ever change colors?
    Etherian Rebel JOSH for the MOTUC (see my avatar)!

The pre Filmation stuff has so much potential, I really wish we'd see it done. I'm a huge fan of the blonde Teela (see my signature) I would give my left kidney to see her done.
    Wanted: Episode 40 Comic.

It's a vast world and the art in the early mini comics was amazing. Artist Alfredo Alcala's work blows me away. So much attention to detail!

Yea pre-Filmation was it!!! I played with He-Man years b4 the cartoon, so my play was based on the original comics. WHen Teela had the armor on she was the Sorceress (As she is referred to... she is never called the Green Goddess... Teela was the Warrior Goddess, but GG was the original Sorceress... and I can NOT WAIT til December to finally have her!!!)
    I liked that there was no Prince Adam, no king, no palace. Just warriors battling to either protect or possess Grayskull.... awesome stuff!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

I don't think Point Dread survived the Filmation incursion, did it? After Filmation came along I can't recall so much as a mention anywhere of Point Dread, which was this awesome new wrinkle in the whole multilayered mystery surrounding Castle Grayskull. Also the notion of two separate halves of the Power Sword went out the window. What a shame the minicomics or the various story books couldn't have done more to integrate some of these forgotten ideas into their later stories.
    Still remembers we paid excessive shipping on Battleground Teela. Is confident Matty will resolve the issue and make it right for us.

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    I am a huge huge fan of the pre-filmation era (though I'm on the fence as to whether I'll buy the Green Goddess or not - I prefer the Teela in Cobra Armor look...).

I never saw the filmation cartoons until I was in college due to living in a very rural area in my young days. Needless to say, my MOTU universe was heavily inspired by the early darker stories. Heck, when someone bought me the prince Adam figure for my birthday, I distinctly remember telling my father that the idea of him turning into He-man was 'stupid.' lol.

Though there are elements of the later MOTU storyline that I like very much, the early stories and art will always hold a dear place in my heart.
    Photog is here! thank you, Mattel!

Now how about some mini-comics love (like Lodar, Geldor, Dakon......)? And Mermista?

Quote Originally Posted by JakeofEternia View Post
    "He-Man and the Power Sword" was my introduction to the MOTU mythos, so I've always held a certain love of it.
    Me too! I didn't even get it with a He-Man figure - it came as some sort of pack-in with a Hot Wheels race track set I got for Christmas from my Grandparents when I was a kid ... I think that marked the end of my interest in Hot Wheels cars and the beginning of my interest in He-Man.

A fair trade, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bolty-Neck View Post
    I don't think Point Dread survived the Filmation incursion, did it? After Filmation came along I can't recall so much as a mention anywhere of Point Dread, which was this awesome new wrinkle in the whole multilayered mystery surrounding Castle Grayskull. Also the notion of two separate halves of the Power Sword went out the window. What a shame the minicomics or the various story books couldn't have done more to integrate some of these forgotten ideas into their later stories.
    I know the Talon Fighter was in an episode or possibly two at most, but I agree that aspect is something that will hopefully not be overlooked in the classics line.

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    I love the Pre-Filmation era a lot as well!
    Mainly the original 4 Mini-Comics. Isn't this usually referred to as: Mineternia?

I don't really like the idea that much of Prince Adam turning into He-Man,
    but I do brainstorm about things like Adam can call upon He-Man using a Mechanical Sword and maybe shifts into another dimension while He-Man trades places with Adam while he's on Eternia. So He-Man and Adam are two seperate characters and He-Man is always He-Man that way, just not on Eternia all the time. Only when he's needed the most.

One of the things that I love the most about the Pre-Filmation era of MOTU is the depiction of the power sword. The sword was a force so powerful that it was kept in pairs to keep it's awesome power in check. I recently read for the first time, the MOTU DC miniseries, and that was amazing. One of the amazing things was just how many things the wielder of the sword was capable of. Skeletor used the sword to cast beams of power at He-Man, and the sword had power over inanimate objects. I would love to see this aspect of the sword brought back.
    2 Cor. 12:9 (KJV) "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmites, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

The Last Wielder of the Sword of Power

Faithful Member of Club Eternia

http://photobucket.com/LastEternian

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash77 View Post
    I posted this in another section but it might as well go in here too. A scan of the back of an old sticker album. Check out Stratos' bio--not just pre-filmation, but pre-everything!
    I also like the Zodac is referred to as a bounty hunter.

In the He-Man and the Power Sword minicomic, there is one panel where Statos appears with Skeletor, Beast-Man and Mer-Man as they try to enter Grayskull, and he seems to be part of the group. I assume initially he was supposed to be evil, probably a concept of "all beast-like creatures are evil, and good characters are all humans".

The Goddess/ Sorceress (she is treated by both names in the first mini-comics) was only green in that minicomic, but the original concept of Teela was that that figure was two characters: The Heroic Warrior Goddess (with snake armor), and Teela, princess of Eternia (without the armor); That is pretty clear in the first wave of Alcala's minicomics.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    As I've mentioned on many-a-thread, the pre-Filmation version is my first love in MOTU.
    I have a lot of love for the Filmation version, but at the same time, it made it a bit more childish. Pre-Filmation had so many good concepts that were sadly dropped. And while I like all of the figures, I wasn't so keen that most later ones moved away from a barbarian, swords & sorcery feel in favour of different styles.

I've love to see a Procrutus figure (the four-armed being who lives inside Eternia - see minicomic "The Magic Stealer!") for example.

And anything to do with two-halves of the power sword and suchlike is great with me.

And yes, Skeletor did always seem to want to either sacrafice Teela or make her his bride!
    I also think the Teela cloned-from-Goddess concept was really dark and should have been used further.
    It's so amazing how we can be so different on one era, but on the same page on another one...

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    I posted this in another section but it might as well go in here too. A scan of the back of an old sticker album. Check out Stratos' bio--not just pre-filmation, but pre-everything!
    I also like the Zodac is referred to as a bounty hunter.

I love this! In one of the first 4 mini comics, you can see Stratos with Skeletor's men when he's taking Teela the Grayskull for the marriage ceremony.

Awesome! I love this old stuff.

edit...

Just saw Wolfchild's post!
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfchild View Post
    the original concept of Teela was that that figure was two characters: The Heroic Warrior Goddess (with snake armor), and Teela, princess of Eternia (without the armor); That is pretty clear in the first wave of Alcala's minicomics.
    Teela was one character in the 1st 4 comics. She only wore the snake armor in one page, when Mer-Man captured her. She was always the warrior goddess.

Great thread!! I LOVE the pre-Filamation era, such great stories and real potential for some great sword and sorcery barbaric stories (with just a little tech mixed in).

He-Man with a knife in his boot? It's here!

This thread is full of win. If they ever make a MotU movie I hope it borrows heavily from the pre-Filmation era. I had no idea Stratos started as a bad guy.
    Throwing acid is wrong, in some people's eyes.

Evil Lord of the Deadlift Larry Waters's Avatar
    Successful trades/purchases
    Squishy Duck Man, Man-E-Toys, JOAH-MAN, Jawbridge, Zuff-Man, Mern-Ra, He-Ryno, tattoojunkie74, zodak74, bigassbuzz

Teela was one character in the 1st 4 comics. She only wore the snake armor in one page, when Mer-Man captured her. She was always the warrior goddess.
    The canon there was still being defined, that's why we see Stratos amonst the evil warriors; What I meant was that the Teela toy originally stood for two characters, Teela the princess of Eternia, and the Sorceress/ Warrior Goddess. You're right that Battle in the clouds contradicts this by having Teela in snake armor but He-Man and the power sword (with the green goddess) and following comics (like the magic stealer or He-Man meets Ram-Man) clearly defined these two characters.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    The pre Filmation stuff has so much potential, I really wish we'd see it done. I'm a huge fan of the blonde Teela (see my signature) I would give my left kidney to see her done.
    Me too. When I grew up Teela was a blonde. When the figure finally came out, it was strange to see her wih red hair.

One great thing about MOTUC, the line likes old things--even pre-Filmation MOTU.

There really aren't so many characters, are there?

He-Man (Jungle Barbarian with spear)
    Stratos (Caucasian repaint)
    Teela (DC Comics outfit with two heads)
    King Randor (Elderly)
    Queen Marlena (Elderly)
    Prince Adam (Blue Vest)
    Zoar (Red and Green repaint with the armor and missiles)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Me too. When I grew up Teela was a blonde. When the figure finally came out, it was strange to see her wih red hair.

One great thing about MOTUC, the line likes old things--even pre-Filmation MOTU.

There really aren't so many characters, are there?

He-Man (Jungle Barbarian with spear)
    Stratos (Caucasian repaint)
    Teela (DC Comics outfit with two heads)
    King Randor (Elderly)
    Queen Marlena (Elderly)
    Prince Adam (Blue Vest)
    Zoar (Red and Green repaint with the armor and missiles)
    Don't forget these:
    Chewbacca style beastman
    Granamyr(sp)

I wish this is the way MOTU stayed, I wish Filmation followed the mini comics, way better story there.

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    Here's something very interesting;
    http://www.donaldfglut.com/MOUinterview.html

An interview with the writer; Donald F. Glut of the first 4 Mini-Comics from 1981:
    He-Man and the Power Sword",
    "King of Castle Grayskull",
    "Battle in the Clouds" and
    "The Vengeance of Skeletor”

He created the names: Eternia, Castle Greyskull, Teela, Mer-Man and tells how he came up with the names. He created the story where it all began!

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    I wish this is the way MOTU stayed, I wish Filmation followed the mini comics, way better story there.
    Was saying this in another thread...I thought it was a ridiculous transition. Even though the DC Comics story brought in the Prince Adam concept, everything else remained the same. Same characters, settings, ambitions, same Eternia. The Sorceress was dressed like the Goddess and Zoar was his own character--her messenger. I wish filmation would have done that. But, it doesn't matter, we all have our own eras we like and Mattel encourages it, which is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by synthalus View Post
    Here's something very interesting;
    http://www.donaldfglut.com/MOUinterview.html

An interview with the writer; Donald F. Glut of the first 4 Mini-Comics from 1981:
    He-Man and the Power Sword",
    "King of Castle Grayskull",
    "Battle in the Clouds" and
    "The Vengeance of Skeletor”

He created the names: Eternia, Castle Greyskull, Teela, Mer-Man and tells how he came up with the names. He created the story where it all began!

It sadness me that most people involved with the creation of MotU sound like mercenaries in the interviews. There's no love for their creations whasoever. The problem with the initial approach was that it was far more limited, story and characterwise, than Filmation's version. And, not that I think that Filmation and Lou Scheimer weren't doing it for money, but Lou at least always expressed love for the characters in his interviews I've read.