Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pre-Filmation Era in MOTUC Thread

Man oh man how I miss checking this thread! That needs to change, LOL. I've been checking out some of the Pre-Filmation inspired fanfics on he-mantales.net and am loving it. I think most of you guys in here woul dlike it as well if you haven't already checked it out.

I tried out recreating that image a little bit with posing when Teela came out, but for me it would be time consuming to do the whole thing. I'm trying to work on some other Wind Raider-related stuff.

sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Yeah Baby he rocks your socks off !!!!!!Now i need Oo-Larr with an Alcala He-Man head !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Evil Henchman of Hordak Louis649's Avatar
    I found interesting that Donald F. Glut, the writer of the first four vintage minicomics said in a interview that he wrote them inspired by the Conan and Tarzan stories. We always knew the parrallel to the Conan mythos but we never mentioned anything about the other. Now having the Tarzan world in account I can see the connection: He-man/Tarzan- the noble savage turned civilized man, Teela/Jane- the woman in peril and love interest of the hero, Beastman/Kerchak- the evil savage ape who fought the hero because he see him as a menace, Skeletor/Evil tribal warlock- the villain who always uses black magic to drove the hero out of existence.
    I'm Skeletor, master of evil! All of you should show respect for the awful one.

I am Grizzlor #1 fan!

Master of Eternian Lore Chroniklor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post
    Yeah Baby he rocks your socks off !!!!!!Now i need Oo-Larr with an Alcala He-Man head !!!
    http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...95197265_n.jpg
    I hear ya 100%. My Demo-Man finally arrived this week and I couldn't wait to swap Skelly's head. Truely (think of me what you want) it was a great moment to see him with the Alcala Head in my display. And like you said: Alcala He-Man/Oo-Larr asap, please ;-)
    Chroniklor, the Heroic Keeper of Eternian Myths, Legends and Lore.

Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post
    http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...95197265_n.jpg
    Such an awesome sight to behold
    And the red and blue background compliments the figure so well, I wish they had stayed with the classic feel for the packaging instead of those dull green bricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chroniklor View Post
    it was a great moment to see him with the Alcala Head in my display
    Totally !!!
    Last edited by Crusader; February 5, 2012 at 05:12pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

I'm liking the Alcala Skeletor head quite a bit. I still prefer the toy head, but the new one is definitely growing on me.

I took this pic of the TRU Blue Merman, Beastman, and Skeletor a while ago as sort of an homage to the mini-comics. Well, with the Alcala Skeletor head, I decided to update it.

Old pic:

New pics: Mini-Comic Horrors:

Pretty neat update in my opinion. That's actually a TRU Skeletor body with the regular release Skeletor armor.

I don't know why, but this specific image of Skeletor holding the sword over his head like that has always stuck in my mind. I waited until I got the Alcala head before I tried recreating it (even though it's not an Alcala drawing). It didn't feel right with the toy head, even though the toy head is my personal preference.

Pg 13:

This is the pose that one of my Alcala Skeletors (have two Demo Mans) stays in on my computer desk. That image has stuck in my head all these years, so it's nice to finally have an physical representation of it.

Awesome pics, man !!!
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

Aaaaah.. Mini comic heaven... moves me to tears! Love your pics Thrawn29 - great job!

I do hope we get Oo-Larr. I'm in love with the Alcala head. It makes Skeletor look so badass!!

Heroic Warrior
    Great photos. Now we just need to add Ram-Man!
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by eurorko View Post
    It makes Skeletor look so badass!!
    Ab-so-lu-te-ly!

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Awesome pics, man !!!
    Thanks dude. I'm glad you enjoyed them. I love seeing other people's pics and posting my own as a way to share and enjoy our fandom.

Quote Originally Posted by Chroniklor
    Aaaaah.. Mini comic heaven... moves me to tears! Love your pics Thrawn29 - great job!
    Hopefully there will be more to come eventually. The more I mess with the Alcala Skeletor head the more I like it. That's not good. I'm a vintage head guy with Skeletor.

The Alcala Skeletor head on the TRU body with the regular Skeletor armor just looks so snazzy.

I have two Demo-Mans. The two Alcala Skeletor heads I have sport very noticeably different paint apps. The one pictured above is much more yellow and easily looks better. The other one has a lot more green and doesn't look nearly as good in my opinion.

Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull
    Great photos. Now we just need to add Ram-Man!
    The mini-comic Ram Man has always been the coolest most bad-*** version of him. I can't wait to get a Ram Man. I'd love to try and homage to the last panel where Ram Man slams into Skeletor's back. Flight stand probably?

Quote Originally Posted by Louis649 View Post
    I found interesting that Donald F. Glut, the writer of the first four vintage minicomics said in a interview that he wrote them inspired by the Conan and Tarzan stories. We always knew the parrallel to the Conan mythos but we never mentioned anything about the other. Now having the Tarzan world in account I can see the connection: He-man/Tarzan- the noble savage turned civilized man, Teela/Jane- the woman in peril and love interest of the hero, Beastman/Kerchak- the evil savage ape who fought the hero because he see him as a menace, Skeletor/Evil tribal warlock- the villain who always uses black magic to drove the hero out of existence.
    Loved this interview too. In addition to the point you mentioned, I also took this away from it; So much of these details that we've all pondered for years seems to have been made up on the fly without much scrutiny. The whole "Grayskull" naming because it was a black and white photo and he didn't know it was molded in green is hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    The Alcala Skeletor head on the TRU body with the regular Skeletor armor just looks so snazzy.
    I agree, and I'm most fortunate, since that's my only option. (My other regular Skeletors have such loose ankles they can't stand anymore without the havoc staff or Keldors cape to keep them standing) That I rather like it and it feels a bit more mini-comicy is one of those things that works in my favor. The image that's stuck with me is this one:

I've got a little multiverse Skeletor display going on. I've got BA Skeletor on Panthor ala the original boxart, 2 pack Skeletor head and armor on a Keldor body with the purple Power sword as DC Comics Skeletor, Alcala head, regular Skeletor armor, 2 pack body, and gray powersword as Minicomic Skeletor, Scareglow with faceless ones Havoc Staff, Keldor armor and cape as a Spectral Skeletor, and then a regular Skeletor with the havoc staff in the back as a vaguely FILMation type (Blech!) Skeletor.
    Matty, Great Black Wizard figure please!

Quote Originally Posted by Pravus Prime View Post
    I agree, and I'm most fortunate, since that's my only option. (My other regular Skeletors have such loose ankles they can't stand anymore without the havoc staff or Keldors cape to keep them standing)
    That's why I placed my Alcala head on an extra TRU body as well, those blasted loose ankles. But, like you said, it ended up working in our favor.

The image that's stuck with me is this one:

http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/collect_toy/101.jpg
    That is a memorable one.

I've got a little multiverse Skeletor display going on. I've got BA Skeletor on Panthor ala the original boxart, 2 pack Skeletor head and armor on a Keldor body with the purple Power sword as DC Comics Skeletor, Alcala head, regular Skeletor armor, 2 pack body, and gray powersword as Minicomic Skeletor, Scareglow with faceless ones Havoc Staff, Keldor armor and cape as a Spectral Skeletor, and then a regular Skeletor with the havoc staff in the back as a vaguely FILMation type (Blech!) Skeletor.
    Nice. Very inventive display options with all the various Skeletors.

Widget
    Hey all, I am really enjoying this thread, as I am new here and digging up MOTU history. This is the type of juicy stuff I love and try to dig up in all franchises I am interested in. There is something magical about the pre-mass release of toys and stories, when they are trying to figure out what to do with them. Let me tell you, I dug up some AMAZING toy history that pre dates the Fred Wolf cartoon for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. That pre-release toy history, much like MOTU was very different from what ended up being in the cartoon, only in that case the toys that were originally designed were never released and never told to the public, no one but me has really even seen this, until (I hope) that film comes out.

That said, this is a MOTU thread, and I have questions and interests, but am a slow reader and there is over 22 pages here. I also found He-Man via the toys and the mini comics, however ironically this was long after even the Filmation show was off the air. I was born in 85, so I was lucky enough to pick up on MOTU through the all mighty garage sales of the late 80s and early 90s, the BEST time to be a toy loving kid! I also didn't have cable all that much as a kid, so I found the old books that had the alternate stories in them, and then found He-Man VHS cartoons and watched those.

One of my big questions is this. While digging through old He-Man toy commercials I found some statement in the Castle Grayskull commercial write up on Youtube suggesting that commercial was produced at a time when Beastman was supposed to be the "main villain". Was this ever the case? or was this person very misinformed? It seams logical as there was no Skeletor in that commercial, but did this commercial really pre-date the mini comics and the early Filmation animated commercials? PS has anyone found a good copy of that filmation pre-cartoon animated commercial? I've seen a screen shot at the last comic con, but that's it.

I have no idea, but when that commercial first aired I thought he was. Then I saw a commercial with Skeletor and thought they were just two independent villains. I remember being surprised that Beast Man was just a lackey when I read the first minicomic.

As for the prefilmation commerical:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...inal-animation!

If the filmation cartoon had been like that I would have liked it. It would have fueled my obsession further. Instead I slowly lost interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
    I have no idea, but when that commercial first aired I thought he was. Then I saw a commercial with Skeletor and thought they were just two independent villains. I remember being surprised that Beast Man was just a lackey when I read the first minicomic.

As for the prefilmation commerical:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...inal-animation!

If the filmation cartoon had been like that I would have liked it. It would have fueled my obsession further. Instead I slowly lost interest.
    Stellar find! If only they had stuck to the story. The funny thing is that Teela sounds like the Filmation voice actress. Has anyone dug up any execs recollection as to why they gave Filmation such liberty to change (ie: totally screw up) the story and character designs? I know they changed the costumes to be symmetrical because of their cheapo animation style where they "flip" cells but I've never heard where the changes originated.

Widget
    I think it's pretty much a process that any animation studio with writers is going to go through, they will change things to fit their story, it really isn't all that interesting when you dig into that process, in the end someone just said, "hey, this is what I'm going to do" then it was done.

As an addition to my question about Beastman being the "lead bad guy" in that comment, I also remember reading somewhere about when they introduced Skeletor they called him De-Man and got wicked flack from Christian activists and parents, so they changed it to Skeletor, is there any validity to this persons comments? Or is this more or less new info?

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    I always got confused by the first mini-comics. Only because Teela-Na, then just became Teela who wore the same clothes as the Goddess, who then suddenly changed her skin tone. So because Teela wore the same clothes as the Goddess, I never knew who was who.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian turtle View Post
    I think it's pretty much a process that any animation studio with writers is going to go through, they will change things to fit their story, it really isn't all that interesting when you dig into that process, in the end someone just said, "hey, this is what I'm going to do" then it was done.
    If only style guides and licensing were that easy. It was definitely an orchestrated change with direction coming from somewhere as as the licensor packets were changed as well as the toy fair catalog descriptions simultaneously. I guess I should just stop trying to find someone to blame.

So, what do you suppose our chances of getting the final Minicomic different characters are? For me anyway, I'd still like to see:

• Red Beastman
    • Green Trapjaw with Silver weapons
    • Red torso Tri-Klops

A proper blonde Teela would be nice, but hardly necessary.

However, I'm thinking that our chances at getting those figures are somewhere between zip and zilch.
    Matty, Great Black Wizard figure please!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pravus Prime View Post
    So, what do you suppose our chances of getting the final Minicomic different characters are? For me anyway, I'd still like to see:

• Red Beastman
    • Green Trapjaw with Silver weapons
    • Red torso Tri-Klops

A proper blonde Teela would be nice, but hardly necessary.

However, I'm thinking that our chances at getting those figures are somewhere between zip and zilch.
    I think we'll see those characters. MOTUC is pretty early mini-comic friendly for the most part.

I'd like to see:

Blonde Teela with hair up
    Oo-Larr
    Caucasian Stratos with Beast Man body and feathers around his neck.
    Red Beast Man
    Green Trap Jaw
    Orange Ram Man
    Mini-Comic Tri-Klops

Basically seven more Pre-Filmation figures to go.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    Do we have a pre-filmation/early mini comics idol yet?

It's favorites time!!

1- Orange Ram Man
    2- Pale Man-E-Faces (a really pale one, with blue tubes)
    3- Mini-Comic Tri-Klops
    4- Green Trap Jaw
    5- Caucasian Stratos
    6- Blonde Teela with hair up
    7- Oo-Larr
    8- Red Beast Man
    My MOTUC top 10 wants (POST SDCC 2014):

Queen Angella - Hunga the Harpy - Peekablue - Toy Catra - Veena - Red Knight - Vultak - Dylamug - Sibyline - Kex Queen

Small creatures that need to happen: 3 main twiggets