Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pre-Filmation Era in MOTUC Thread

I stand by my post as it is
    Teela the Warrior Goddess is my homegirl.

Quote Originally Posted by artodron View Post
    I stand by my post as it is
    And I by mine. Though I feel like pointing out, I never said she was "just" the damsel in distress, only that she was cast in that role as often, if not more than, when she was shown in a more proactive light.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    And I by mine. Though I feel like pointing out, I never said she was "just" the damsel in distress, only that she was cast in that role as often, if not more than, when she was shown in a more proactive light.
    Yeah. It's like the Filmation Sorceress. I'd blame that on the times, rather than the characters themselves.

Heroic Warrior Master of Disguise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Yeah. It's like the Filmation Sorceress. I'd blame that on the times, rather than the characters themselves.
    Yeah the times. The times made her look like an oddity and not a unique artistic representation. I was hoping for a more Cindi Lauper hair style, and Lycra mini skirt for her filmation representation.

Teela in the regular DC comics was plenty tough!

But in a lot of cases she wasn't.

I think folks need to remember, you don't get many though girls in sword & sorcery anyways. It's all about the hero. Comparatively speaking, she's definitely way tougher than 90% of the woman in Conan.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I actually haven't seen any of those before. I thought we were talking about the original 4, aka the Righteous Quadrilogy.
    I have a later one, The Temple of Darkness, where her entire regular outfit is...pink. It's just not right.

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    Teela in the regular DC comics was plenty tough!

But in a lot of cases she wasn't.

I think folks need to remember, you don't get many though girls in sword & sorcery anyways. It's all about the hero. Comparatively speaking, she's definitely way tougher than 90% of the woman in Conan.
    Even though she was captured alot in the Pre-Filmation era, they almost always went through the trouble of telling the reader that it wasn't easy to capture her. How many times have you read that she "fights like a fury or demon"?

Badass with a bottle Drunken Fist's Avatar
    I've made no secret that I find the early minicomics far preferable to everything that came after. My personal MOTU mythos is largely based on that, with hefty doses of my own imagination. When I was a kid, I regarded the Filmation show as basically a "what if" kinda scenario; the minis were where it was at!

Heroic Warrior
    This is the best thread on He-Man.org by a long way. You guys are the people I created Vaults for six years ago! It's refreshing to see the pre-Filmation era has a strong voice in the MOTU community. I'm glad the Classics reflect many of the early themes we are so enthusiastic about.

I think the best monster is the glorm from He-Man Meets Ram-Man... and it would be the easiest one to make into a model for the Classics line. Incidentally, the glorm's status is elevated to a cruel people-trader in one of T. F. Cooper's stories on Tales of Mineternia, which I think is a great interpretation.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Oh, absolutely, I'm not blaming Teela for how she was depicted! Obviously the positive aspects are more remembered than the negative, and that's good. The lip service to her good fighting skills though was woefully inadequate given how often she was shown as a hostage. Sadly, I think I just saw a GI Joe commercial where Scarlet was a damsel in distress. They still do it today, possibly with the excuse that it's retro, so the more emphasis on Teela's genuine skills in future media the better.

Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    This is the best thread on He-Man.org by a long way. You guys are the people I created Vaults for six years ago! It's refreshing to see the pre-Filmation era has a strong voice in the MOTU community. I'm glad the Classics reflect many of the early themes we are so enthusiastic about.

I think the best monster is the glorm from He-Man Meets Ram-Man... and it would be the easiest one to make into a model for the Classics line. Incidentally, the glorm's status is elevated to a cruel people-trader in one of T. F. Cooper's stories on Tales of Mineternia, which I think is a great interpretation.
    Glad to have you aboard, Vaults!

Welcome Vaults of Grayskull! I enjoyed your short stories.I liked that you have a story featuring Eldor in Fire and Steel. I particularly liked Nightflame. I have just started to read your Grayskull novel! I really like what I have read so far! You can tell you are inspired by the first minicomics!
    Teela the Warrior Goddess is my homegirl.

Yeah...I found Vault's site (among others) through Wikipaedia's Pre-eternia or Pre-Filmation entry.

Awesome photos of the MOTUC figures on that site.

Widget
    [QUOTE=Faceless Glow;2166601]This is my favorite thread! Nice work. I love the pre-filmation motu universe. It's filled with such mystique. When I saw GG at Sdcc I almost passed out. I hope we get more figures from this era. The early mini-comics the sword of skeletor, he-man the power sword, vengence of skeletor, dragons gift, etc., that stuff was amazing. I spent hours lost in that universe, amazed the whole time! Great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Multibot View Post
    oh good lord!! I guess Evil lynn hadn't yet been introduced at the time, huh? poor teela.....

question is, why would Skeletor be attracted to someone who's not even his own species? the same principal as Jabba being attracted to Leia.... yuk!! was teela the only woman in Eternia, that every man was after her?

If keldor was randors half brother, he would have to be half human, so that half could be attracted to teela.
    The bottom half of him probably was, with Skeletor going commando
    Last edited by fengal; August 19, 2009 at 02:28am. Reason: bad combat typing whilst playing WoW
    Posing my figures doesn't mean I'm playing with them!

Heroic Warrior
    Thank you for your comments and feedback, folks - much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    Thank you for your comments and feedback, folks - much appreciated!
    One more positive comment for ya dude!! Your Grayskull novel was great and the twist with Zodac was way unexpected (if anyone hasn't read this you need to). Your other short stories are pretty sweet too, I've actually printed all of them out so I can read them whenever I want.

I LOVE this thread!!!

I love the pre-filmation era..., the source of all of my childhood MOTU plays were around the stories from 4 resources:

• The Vengeance of Skeletor minicomic
    • The Sword of Skeletor, The Trap and The Thief of Castle Grayskull from Golden Book
    • The 3 DC Comics Miniseries
    • "Die Rache des B÷sen" and "Das Monster aus dem Eis" stories from Issue 3 from Interprat
    Now available for commissions.

Subscribe to TMNT Redesign Challenge News,
    if you want to be update to every The Technodrome Redesign Challenge.

Check my customs at Figure Realm
    Deviantart - http://gomes31.deviantart.com/
    www.facebook.com/Ulisses31Omega
    www.facebook.com/PauloGomesArt
    If you cannot convince them, confuse them. - Harry S Truman

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Man54 View Post
    One more positive comment for ya dude!! Your Grayskull novel was great and the twist with Zodac was way unexpected (if anyone hasn't read this you need to). Your other short stories are pretty sweet too, I've actually printed all of them out so I can read them whenever I want.
    Thank you, He-Man54. The Zodac idea was one of those random thoughts that just appeared and seemed to work!

Priest to Divine Teela'na Necrono's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Multibot View Post
    I wonder if she'll have the other Teela head done in green or not?

Somebody on another forum won an bid with a Teela-head mold in it, and another head which was suggested as a possible alternate blonde-Teela head. I would love if the Green Goddess came with this blonde, hair-down alternate head.

-Necrono

Since Mattel is producing figures (like the Green Goddess) based solely off of the minicomics how cool would it be if they produced a cartoon miniseries based on those stories as well? Kind of like what Hasbro did with GI:Joe Resolute.

Make it a six or eight part series with each episode being an animated adapation of one of the original pre-Filmation stories (He-Man and the Power Sword, The Tale of Teela, etc). Like Resolute they could even have the good guys killing some of the bad guys (like He-Man did against the monster in the Ram Man comic.) Make it happen Mattel!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin L. View Post
    Since Mattel is producing figures (like the Green Goddess) based solely off of the minicomics how cool would it be if they produced a cartoon miniseries based on those stories as well? Kind of like what Hasbro did with GI:Joe Resolute.

Make it a six or eight part series with each episode being an animated adapation of one of the original pre-Filmation stories (He-Man and the Power Sword, The Tale of Teela, etc). Like Resolute they could even have the good guys killing some of the bad guys (like He-Man did against the monster in the Ram Man comic.) Make it happen Mattel!
    I would love to see this!
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    A new show based on the mini comics would be much appreciated!
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

What confuses me the most is the mini-comics calling the goddess "Sorceress." Obviously she's where the Filmation Sorceress came from but how many times was she called "Goddess"? How Many times was she referred to as "Sorceress"?

They're the same character right? When Filmation came around, they just redesigned the Sorceress to look different from Teela.

Am I making sense?
    I want my other half.

Quote Originally Posted by Power Sword View Post
    What confuses me the most is the mini-comics calling the goddess "Sorceress." Obviously she's where the Filmation Sorceress came from but how many times was she called "Goddess"? How Many times was she referred to as "Sorceress"?

They're the same character right? When Filmation came around, they just redesigned the Sorceress to look different from Teela.

Am I making sense?
    The Sorceress and Goddess are the same basic character.

The character started out as The Sorceress, a green version of Teela in the first few mini-comics. (Actually Teela is what the Goddess looks like without all of the Cobra Armor on...plus that's what the Goddess' real name is...Teela)

Later in the second year of the mini-comics, "The Sorceress" was actually a Goddess of Eternia and her skin was turned caucasian. I guess she's some kind of nature goddess, since we always see her relaxing with wilderness animals, instead of inside of the Castle. We see another god of the Eternian pantheon with Procrustus, who holds up the planet like Atlas.

When Filmation arrived on the scene, they merged The Goddess, Zoar and The Spirit of Castle Grayskull into a new character, the Sorceress. Instead of Teela being a portion of her godly essence, Teela was her daughter by an unnamed father.