Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pre-Filmation Era in MOTUC Thread

Procrustus... that is Classic... I would love to see him made alongside Megator and Tytus.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_AGpmsqIe_O.../s1600/pro.JPG
    Last edited by Ulisses31; August 22, 2009 at 08:24pm.
    Now available for commissions.

Subscribe to TMNT Redesign Challenge News,
    if you want to be update to every The Technodrome Redesign Challenge.

Check my customs at Figure Realm
    Deviantart - http://gomes31.deviantart.com/
    www.facebook.com/Ulisses31Omega
    www.facebook.com/PauloGomesArt
    If you cannot convince them, confuse them. - Harry S Truman

Procrustus... A multi-armed giant titan of a warrior!
    Me too...
    Teela the Warrior Goddess is my homegirl.

Heroic Warrior
    Procrustus would be awesome, alongside Tytus, Megator and the 3 evil giants from the 200X cartoon !

Here is another Alcala example for pre-filmation era (?), it has characters like the king & queen and prince Adam...but the world is radically different from anything in Filmation (Sorceress is still looking like Teela in snake armour, Teela is a blonde, and world is very Conan like). I would count this as pre-Filmation as it doesn't at least Filmation canon or style. Something in between at very least.

Here in attachment we see AVION being attacked by horde of beastmen, making beastmen sort of "troopers" of Skeletor. Later in the comic there is horde of mermen too, lead by Mer-man.

Comic also introduces a new character called Damon, who is an evil sorcerer trying compete with Skeletor. Skeletor however kills him in the end. There are quite a few other deaths as well (monsters mostly), something that changed in Filmation based comics. Overall very much darker presentation of Eternia, than we are used to.

I had to translate the text for the image, I hope I did alright job with it. I can scan more examples if there is an interest.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The comic is "Masters of the Universe (DC Comics)" and name of the story is "To temp the gods". Apparently published in three parts originally.

Interesting note however, my version has pages missing (editor probably decided to save pages), even if colouring seems to be slightly better. Nice to be able to read it entirely, never knew it was cut.

I had mine in Spanish, and them were released there after Filmation began, and had cut pages too, I think it was because they were against/different from Filmation canon or because they were to much violent...

Can we consider the RPG Rulebook from FASA like a pre-filmation or non filmation influenced?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_AGpmsqIe_O...lebook-001.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    Here is another Alcala example for pre-filmation era (?), it has characters like the king & queen and prince Adam...but the world is radically different from anything in Filmation (Sorceress is still looking like Teela in snake armour, Teela is a blonde, and world is very Conan like). I would count this as pre-Filmation as it doesn't at least Filmation canon or style. Something in between at very least.

Here in attachment we see AVION being attacked by horde of beastmen, making beastmen sort of "troopers" of Skeletor. Later in the comic there is horde of mermen too, lead by Mer-man.

Comic also introduces a new character called Damon, who is an evil sorcerer trying compete with Skeletor. Skeletor however kills him in the end. There are quite a few other deaths as well (monsters mostly), something that changed in Filmation based comics. Overall very much darker presentation of Eternia, than we are used to.

I had to translate the text for the image, I hope I did alright job with it. I can scan more examples if there is an interest.
    Yeah, I've mentioned that before--that while it had Prince Adam, everything else about the story/characters/planet was the same as the original minicomics. If filmation could have gone that route, I would have been down with it. But they didn't, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash77 View Post
    Yeah, I've mentioned that before--that while it had Prince Adam, everything else about the story/characters/planet was the same as the original minicomics. If filmation could have gone that route, I would have been down with it. But they didn't, so...
    I love DC comics MOTU!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ulisses31 View Post
    I had mine in Spanish, and them were released there after Filmation began, and had cut pages too, I think it was because they were against/different from Filmation canon or because they were to much violent...

Can we consider the RPG Rulebook from FASA like a pre-filmation or non filmation influenced?
    Never knew such existed, what is inside it? Anyone have links to the content?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash77 View Post
    I like the old version as well, but I am glad that there is so many different takes. Perhaps one day we have something more similar again, who knows?

I think Filmation way was fine as it is, it wasn't the time period for more adult oriented stuff and I did enjoy the cartoons as a kid. Besides, Mattel wanted to sell toys for kids.

What has changed is that they now they want to sell toys for adults too

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    The Sorceress and Goddess are the same basic character.

The character started out as The Sorceress, a green version of Teela in the first few mini-comics. (Actually Teela is what the Goddess looks like without all of the Cobra Armor on...plus that's what the Goddess' real name is...Teela)

Later in the second year of the mini-comics, "The Sorceress" was actually a Goddess of Eternia and her skin was turned caucasian. I guess she's some kind of nature goddess, since we always see her relaxing with wilderness animals, instead of inside of the Castle. We see another god of the Eternian pantheon with Procrustus, who holds up the planet like Atlas.

When Filmation arrived on the scene, they merged The Goddess, Zoar and The Spirit of Castle Grayskull into a new character, the Sorceress. Instead of Teela being a portion of her godly essence, Teela was her daughter by an unnamed father.
    MegaGearMax, thanks for clearing that up & a big thanks to everybody posting these great pictures!
    I want my other half.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulisses31 View Post
    I'm really curious to see what kind of content is in that Roleplaying game.
    Does anyone have a copy?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Thanks for those links, Uli!

Here's a laser blasting good time!! Everyone seemed to have energy weapons in the old minis.

Last edited by MegaGearMax; January 12, 2010 at 01:41pm.

Here's a laser blasting good time!! Everyone seemed to have energy weapons in the old minis.
    Everyone except He-Man!! That's why I always thought Stratos didn't need to come with a weapon, he fires laser blasts from his hands!!

Quote Originally Posted by He-Man54 View Post
    Everyone except He-Man!! That's why I always thought Stratos didn't need to come with a weapon, he fires laser blasts from his hands!!
    Actually, the weapon molded on the original figures hand (which was a duplicate of Beastman) was what shot the flame beam. Both characters used this 'claw' weapon as a beam gun.
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

The links were deleted... I believe that torrent (and I understand why) is not welcome... well I will post more pictures in the future...

by far my most favorite MOTU of all time
    Eternian Beastmaster

Heroic Warrior
    I've just posted a reply on another thread about the Green Goddess. In the context of the pre-Filmation era, I consider the Goddess to be an Earth Mother figure. Procrustus is an elemental god who reminds me of Norse mythology. And even Moss Man, who came along a little later, represents the Green Man who appears in several mythologies around the world.

So here's my question - do you consider these characters to be pagan deities like I do, and is that part of the appeal of the pre-Filmation era?
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    I've just posted a reply on another thread about the Green Goddess. In the context of the pre-Filmation era, I consider the Goddess to be an Earth Mother figure. Procrustus is an elemental god who reminds me of Norse mythology. And even Moss Man, who came along a little later, represents the Green Man who appears in several mythologies around the world.

So here's my question - do you consider these characters to be pagan deities like I do, and is that part of the appeal of the pre-Filmation era?
    Whoa, that could be a big can a worms to open there. I see a lot of Christian elements too as in the forsaking of Adam's ego to allow a spirit of good to take over and do good in his place at the expense of his own public image. But I would say there has always been an element of storytelling that is appealing to people and has been present in mythology in the past and in comic books and movies (and even toys) now.

Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    I've just posted a reply on another thread about the Green Goddess. In the context of the pre-Filmation era, I consider the Goddess to be an Earth Mother figure. Procrustus is an elemental god who reminds me of Norse mythology And even Moss Man, And even who came along a little later, represents who appears in several mythologies around the world.

I can see the parrells between The Goddess as an Earth Mother figure( I see shades of Hera there) ,Moss Man as representing the Green Man, and Procrustus as an Atlas figure.

I always drew alot on Greek/Roman myths and some Norse. I've really not read much on them recently untill the new MotU. MotU Classics have such the flavor of the originals they really took me back. I remembered reading them and drawing from them. I'm looking at other culture's Myths & Legends as well far ideas.

I think that it is part of the appeal for me now. The characters really are intresting manifestations of archetypes.
    Teela the Warrior Goddess is my homegirl.

i like that blue mer-man!

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Man54 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffrod View Post
    Actually, the weapon molded on the original figures hand (which was a duplicate of Beastman) was what shot the flame beam. Both characters used this 'claw' weapon as a beam gun.
    Since the new MOTUC Stratos figure doesn't come with the 'claw' weapon,
    I figured the MOTUC Stratos fires the beams out of his hands through the bracelets.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by synthalus View Post
    Since the new MOTUC Stratos figure doesn't come with the 'claw' weapon,
    I figured the MOTUC Stratos fires the beams out of his hands through the bracelets.
    Me too.

About time this thread was dusted off again. Problem is, eventually we're gonna run out of material.

Howabout a Teela month where we celebrate Teela's appearance in MOTUC by posting Pre-Filmation mini-comic or DC Comic pages of her in celebration? Zoar can play too!

We can also talk about other Pre-Filmation topics too.

Im sat here reading this wonderful thread, thinking about how complex my life has become since my first exposure to He-Man and The Masters Of The Universe, Im 36, been living in London for the last year after coming out 6 years ago, leaving my partner and starting over in a big harsh part of the Uk as a single gay man, alone and I start thinking about my childhood when all was safe and imagination and freedom were never really compromised. I remember vintage StarWars figures...how I missed the original movie at the cinema but then being thrilled with The Empire Strikes Back, Return Of the Jedi and collecting all the toys, making my own stories.This I beleive was my first real creative awakening. But then that got old and the films ended.. then a cartoon called HE-MAN and The Masters Of The Universe...on everyday after school, a fantastical world to get lost in , away from the stresses of school and the playground...trips to my cousins and being at awe at the Castle Greyskull toy...of selling Star Wars toys to get He-Man toys...one or two, then Christmas and getting a few more...of pocket money...of taking my younger bro out for the day down to the local toy shop, the long walk...of spending hours just looking at all the Masters toys...of trying to decide which one my pocket money would go on for that few weeks, planning what i would want for Christmas of that year from Father Christmas... of the long walk back home but with a new figure!...of getting Teela and thinking she was the best ever...reading and re-reading that mini comic that gave a darker spin on her origin. Often after crawiling into bed and reading the mini comics I would long to create worlds and characters similar, being in awe of the stories and artwork.. trying to work out why things differed from the cartoon with my bro, drawing my own stories. Meeting with friends on long summer holidays...hauling all my Masters toys into the garden...putting rocks around Greyskull and making the characters hide in long grass..making my own stories that always seemed to be more like the mini comics...which always seemed more relatable and earthy to me comparied with space age STAR WARS...trying to play the mini comics out even..., sneaking looks in the loft around december with my bro when the parents were out at the Slime Pit and Fright Zone cause I couldnt wait till Christmas day, getting them on a very snowy christmas at my aunties then watching the He-Man Christmas special..getting the first few issues of the Uk comics and fighting to get every sticker from the panni sticker book!....all theses things are still with me, in my soul as now im collecting MOTUC...all the mystery and all the fun is still there...ok i dont play anymore like u do when ur a kid but hell every time I get a new figure or reread a mini comic or watch the tv show again just for a few seconds all the problems all the stress of a single 36 year old gay guy living in heaving London go...just for a moment im a kid again and I feel inspired., creative.....and that is priceless....and that is why im still here, still hoping for more, still waiting for the next chapter of MOTU....still wanting more stories...still dreaming and still going back to those first few classic mini comics that started it all and showed us what Eternia and the characters of that land are really like and still are, even now.......
    Last edited by skeletorous; September 23, 2009 at 08:05pm.

Classic & 200X fan
    Hey I have a question. Pre-filmation, what purpose did the power swords have? Was it JUST a key to the castle, or more? I know it wasn't the sword it became in the cartoon, that transformed He-Man, but did it have any power, besides the key factor pre-filmation?
    big geek

well skeletors could shoot energy. in some comics he-mans would glow,, with power
    but aside from that they were the key to grayskull appon joining them together.
    they would get hidden in/on eternia if taken back from skelly, he-man willingly gave his back and took up his ax , in most comics, them some he didnt even had his half, skelly haveing both. and other were he carried it like his excalibur .
    if i missed or screwed up anything please correct me
    Eternian Beastmaster