Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think paying for autographs is worth it?

Do you think paying for autographs is worth it?

Today David Prowse, the man who wore the Darth Vader outfit in Star Wars, was signing autographs at a nearby shopping center and charging $15 per autograph. I was tempted but decided to skip it. I saw Richard Kiel last year and decided to buy his autograph.
    So I was wondering who else has bought autographs and if you felt it was worth it?
    Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing.--Optimus Prime ROTF

That depends how much you really want it, whatever makes you happy is probably worth paying for.

I personally wouldn't pay for such a thing, and I find celebrities asking money just for writing their name, and maybe a tiny dedication, very tasteless, cheap and rude to their fans.
    "With the silent leap of a sullen beast, I have downed and strangled every joy."
    Rimbaud

I use to buy sports autographs before I got heavy into MOTU. I have and had some pretty rare pieces but with all the scamming and fakes out there I stopped. If you like them, I say get them by any means you can. The ones I have left are nice when people come over and see them and they are going to be my son's one day, but I still love them. I still buy some for my son, mostly Red Wings and whoever is hot at the moment that he really likes. To answer your question, it was and still is worth it to me if the price is right. I cant see spending $1000 for a signed jersey or something like that but $40 for a signed ball or puck to see the look on my son's face is priceless to me. I've spent $900 on a baseball signed by Jackie Robinson and $15 on a puck for a "no-name" Red Wing so whatever floats your boat. It took me 25 years getting the entire 1984 Champion Detroit Tigers to sign a single ball one signature at a time and it's priceless to me and probably not worth more than a couple hundred dollars outside of my area but It's mine and I enjoy having it. If you will enjoy having an autograph of the guy who played Darth Vader or whoever, get it and enjoy it with no regrets. That's my two cents anyway.
    ----------------------------------------------
    MY Collection: (some of it)
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/album.php?u=14643

I think what stopped me from getting David Prowse's autograph was that I would have had to buy their photos instead of getting my own item signed. I was going to run home and grab my Star Wars DVD but they told me I had to use their item. I like Star Wars as much as the next guy but I don't consider myself a hardcore fan.
    Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing.--Optimus Prime ROTF

I have paid up to $100 before, my only rule is that if I an paying it has to be my item.

But the price is whatever it's worth to you, I opt to pay since I would hate to bother them in their personal life.
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

I buy photos of people from the 1860s so who am I to judge?

If you like it and it makes you happy then you should do it. 15 isnt high, but that does suck they wouldnt allow you to have your DVD signed.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

I'm not really into supporting anyone who gets paid a lot to do something, then on top of that charges me just to write their name on a bit of something. I've only got a couple of autographs in my collection, 2 to be exact. One was a signed photo that came with a form letter and the second is from former NHL coach Scotty Bowman whom I had the chance to meet and chat with in person. It was at a hockey school and he was really nice and generous to spend time talking to me when there were so many people there wanting to meet and talk with him and he was kind enough to talk with me for a few minutes and sign a photo. It wasn't just me though either, he took time to sign all sorts of things for all of the kids at the school, most of which were sticks or jerseys... whatever was on hand at the time.

He was a really classy guy and didn't charge anyone anything. He was a total class act.

To me, autographs aren't worth paying for... anymore. In the past, they made sense because it was very difficult to connect with someone famous. These days, connecting with a "famous" person is just as easy as finding them on Facebook, Twitter or through their web site. Unless the person gives me their autograph for free, it's not worth paying for.
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

I think it's crappy of people to charge for their autograph. I paid to get Jose Canseco's when I was a kid, but never again. The coolest people do not do that, like The Four Horsemen, as well as John Erwin, Allen Oppenheimer, Ron Lim, Jim Lee, Geoff Johns, Andre Agassi, Lou Schimer, Michael Crawford, Richard Dean Anderson, Peter Falk, Jason Alexander, Kevin Smith, Jason Mewes, Jason Lee, Mandy Patinkin. These are whose signatures I see when I look around my room, and none of them charged and they are all the best at what they do, IMO, so where does anyone else get off charging for it?
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Celebrities all have different feelings on autographs. I've actually heard some of them insist on signing it to a name, like "To Bob..." because if they don't, they feel like the person is just going to turn around and sell it on eBay. And why should that person make all this money off of a celebrity, when the celebrity them self gets none of it. That's probably also why some insist on signing a picture rather than a piece of merchandising.

In the case of David Prowse, I'm not sure how it works, but does he even get anything from Star Wars merch? Those movies were made decades ago, so I can't imagine he gets much if anything from their perpetual success, so I don't think I have a problem with him charging $15. That seems like a reasonable price. Of course free is nicer, but for someone who probably isn't raking it in anymore, I can see charging a small price.

On the other hand, someone like Kate Gosselin, who I know also charges, I don't find it acceptable. She's making millions right now, plus what she's signing is her own book that her fans have already paid for! THAT is unacceptable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mern-Ra View Post
    I think it's crappy of people to charge for their autograph. I paid to get Jose Canseco's when I was a kid, but never again. The coolest people do not do that, like The Four Horsemen, as well as John Erwin, Allen Oppenheimer, Ron Lim, Jim Lee, Geoff Johns, Andre Agassi, Lou Schimer, Michael Crawford, Richard Dean Anderson, Peter Falk, Jason Alexander, Kevin Smith, Jason Mewes, Jason Lee, Mandy Patinkin. These are whose signatures I see when I look around my room, and none of them charged and they are all the best at what they do, IMO, so where does anyone else get off charging for it?
    I guess it all depends on the context of which you got that autograph, I can only get autographs at conventions and I feel it is OK to pay because they usually are nice and will talk to you for a few mins as well as sign whatever you bring them (and they sit there for up to 8hrs which can get very boring).

But even then if the auto's were free I am still paying for con admission so in a sense I am paying for the chance to meet them.

Would I like them to be free, sure. Do I mind they charge, not in the least. Some do not charge because they are nice, some because they know it increases their brand and creates loyalty for other ventures (films, toys, etc).

To each his own I guess, when you live in Iowa like I do the chance to meet celebrities is far and few in between
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

i only get autographs if i can obtain them in person. if a person somehow brought happiness into my life, than i have no qualms about paying them $10 or $20 etc. i also always get them personalized.

i have a few autographs and i was super excited to get all of them.
    joyce dewitt (janet from three's company)
    peter laird & kevin eastman (ninja turtle creators)
    lou ferrigno (incredible hulk)
    gary coleman (arnold from diff'rent strokes)
    margot kidder (lois lane from the original superman movies)
    Last edited by Man-E-Toys; August 1, 2009 at 09:12pm.

Quote Originally Posted by krugos View Post

I personally wouldn't pay for such a thing, and I find celebrities asking money just for writing their name, and maybe a tiny dedication, very tasteless, cheap and rude to their fans.
    Hallelujah ... very, very tasteless!
    Armageddon will soon be here,
    the sinners will meet their fate.
    But I am calm and without fear,
    as I feed upon my hate.

Heroic Warrior
    I have a few autographs in my collection but I got then in person and they were free. For the books I got signed I had to buy the book at Boarder's that dat and then I could get it signed. It was the samething with recording artists. If I bought something else for them to sign they normally would do that too. At cons I had to pay admission but the autographs were free. All the famous I've met have been very nice and answered questions. I only get autographs during designated sessions. I find it distasteful to bother someone while their going on about their day. Like if I see them in a store I won't even ask. I would stay away from buying off of ebay.

The Master of Insanity CJ Clifford's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krugos View Post
    I find celebrities asking money just for writing their name, and maybe a tiny dedication, very tasteless, cheap and rude to their fans.
    Why shouldn't they charge for it? Some of them sit at conventions wasting their life away signing hundreds photos for fans who will probably turn around and sell it on eBay for hundreds of dollars. Some celebrities don't even get why fans want them to sign their name to stuff.

He-Man.org Forum Admin TheShadow's Avatar
    I've only ever paid for three autographs-- Adam West, Burt Ward, and Yvonne Craig. I ordered them from their official websites. If you really want the autograph I say pay I really wanted the Bat team and never had a chance to meet them (no idea if they charge at conventions).

Everyone else I've received in person for free or sent a a letter/picture/SASE to the person (usually someone from a classic TV show) and they sent it back inscribed and signed (and sometimes with a nice letter back too).

Just released 10/6/2013: EPISODE 55 of Masters Cast!
    The He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Clifford View Post
    Why shouldn't they charge for it? Some of them sit at conventions wasting their life away signing hundreds photos for fans who will probably turn around and sell it on eBay for hundreds of dollars.
    Actually, that makes sence!
    But don't tell me, that they aren't getting huge fees
    for showing up anyhow!
    Armageddon will soon be here,
    the sinners will meet their fate.
    But I am calm and without fear,
    as I feed upon my hate.

Why shouldn't they charge for it? Some of them sit at conventions wasting their life away signing hundreds photos for fans who will probably turn around and sell it on eBay for hundreds of dollars. Some celebrities don't even get why fans want them to sign their name to stuff.
    Nobody's forcing them to "waste their life" at conventions.
    If Jack Bauer was on Lost, everything would have been solved in 24 hours!

If Jack Bauer was on Heroes, he wouldn't need to save the cheerleader to save the world.

I have a few autographs. I have never paid for one. I never will. Celebrities make enough money as is. To ask their fans (the people that watch their movies, buy their albums, show up at their concerts/events, join their fan clubs, buy their merchandise and keep their name on everyone's lips so that they are able to demand their often ridiculous salaries) to pay for an autograph is an blatant insult.

I remember about 15 years ago, Willie Mays was in town signing at a Sports Card show. I saw him at a restaurant leaving and asked him for an autograph and he said to meet him at the show, pay for it and he'll sign one for me and was charging $75 minimum depending on the item. I told Willie Mays "never mind" but wanted to say something else. When I was about 12, Mohammad Ali was in town for the same reason but when I got to the Show he was leaving as I was walking in so my friend and I ran over to his Limo to see him. He actually pretended to Box with me and gave me a signature for free after he just charged $30 at the show he was leaving. Some people have class and some don't (Willie Mays).
    I don't mind that people charge for the reason that their signature is worth something (and they know it) and you could sell it and most people will at some point depending on the item. It is a job for some people going around the world selling their signature so they have to get paid. I just can't see multi-millionaires selling charging huge prices for an autograph.
    ----------------------------------------------
    MY Collection: (some of it)
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/album.php?u=14643

Evil master of... stuff. He-Lurker's Avatar
    I like getting autographs, but I have never paid for one. For me, the reason I like autographs is it's a memento from meeting that person. However, with that said, the only autograph I'd consider paying for would be Walt Disney, for obvious reasons haha.

That's no excuse, if they want to profit from that they could avoid all the trouble and sell the stuff at eBay themselves.

Besides it's unfair to treat all real fans that way just because of the dishonest ones who will try to sell the stuff, come on, how difficult it is to be nice and write your name for someone who admires you?, if you don't like it you don't have to do it. But charging for writing your name is cheap.

It's ok if you have signed merchandise for sell at your store or website that people can order, but being right there in person refusing to sign something unless you get money in return, that's just mean.
    Last edited by krugos; August 2, 2009 at 11:39pm. Reason: typo
    "With the silent leap of a sullen beast, I have downed and strangled every joy."
    Rimbaud

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I've only ever paid for three autographs-- Adam West, Burt Ward, and Yvonne Craig. I ordered them from their official websites. If you really want the autograph I say pay I really wanted the Bat team and never had a chance to meet them (no idea if they charge at conventions).

Everyone else I've received in person for free or sent a a letter/picture/SASE to the person (usually someone from a classic TV show) and they sent it back inscribed and signed (and sometimes with a nice letter back too).
    A convention that is run in Australia have tried to get Adam West to attend but each time something bad has happened (West's house in fire was one). As Family Guy fans and generally fans of pop culture my sis and I want to meet him and Shanter simply for their awesomeness.

I got a autograph from Doug Jones(Abe Sapien) last year, cost me $30 but I got a personalised autograph, photo with Doug (which is my Facebook pic) and had a 5 minute conversation, so I got value for money. So depending who it is I will pay for autographs.
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live

I know a guy over at a SW forum that I am a memeber of and he has David Prowse's management access info etc. Hes got the entire list of just about every SW guy thats still alive. He said that IF you write them letters and then send them your stuff they will sign it.
    By the Power of Grey Skull!

I personally don't get what people like about autographs, but if you dig 'em then they're worth it to you right? If I did get an autograph, I'd want it to be on an item, rather than a photo (blank paper is just a waste). For instance, if I got David Prowse's, I would like it to be on a Darth Vader helmet or something. But really I'd rather just have a photo of myself with the celebrity in question more than anything else.