Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: optibotimus MotUC video reviews

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by optibotimus View Post
    Thank you kindly

- - - Updated - - -

haha well honestly, a lot of people asked me to do reviews of these guys again. Way back i said i would stop reviewing and recommending the figures. Mostly because of the questionable stuff that Mattycollector as a whole did. (back in the day of my "infamous" Battle Cat rant). Everyone assumed i was "done" with buying the stuff. That wasn't the case at all. I kept buying them. I always maintained that i loved the figures, just hated how the line was managed and such. I've kept my subscriptions all this time but usually sold the figures right away. I said that if they fixed some of the problems i saw, then i would be happy to review them again. It's taken a long time, but i'm happier with the progress made. That doesn't mean a lot of work isn't left to be done, but hopefully it works out.

A lot of people took my intentions the wrong way and put me in a certain light, which really did bug me. I know i'll still get flack from people for doing these again, but i know more people enjoy them than hate them.
    I was very happy to see you start doing MOTUC reviews again. I'll admit your Battle Cat rant video bothered me a bit when I watched it. I got screwed that same very month. Battle Cat and Trap Jaw sold out instantly. That was the only month I was there at 12pm on the dot and got screwed. For my birthday nonetheless. ****** me right off, but I was like...whatever, they'll eventually re-issue them again since they went that fast. I actually have patience when it comes to collecting these unlike most everything else that I have zero patience for. Anyways, I lol'd at your video and was like wow what's wrong with this dude. But then I read more of your posts and watched more of your videos and realized you weren't like that. It was just a knee jerk reaction. I was ****** initially myself. Trust me. Those were 2 important characters.

Anyways your video wasn't nothing compared to that other guy who got screwed that month. His "MATTYCOLLECTOR RANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" is still a youtube favorite of mine. I still watch it several years later if I need a laugh.

Great to have you back in the mix. You're reviews are really good and I look forward to hearing your opinion regularly. I watch anyone and everyone's MOTU review videos that I find and Pixel Dan's and yours are the absolute best. Keep up the great work, tissue paper or not!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Thank you kindly

- - - Updated - - -

haha well honestly, a lot of people asked me to do reviews of these guys again. Way back i said i would stop reviewing and recommending the figures. Mostly because of the questionable stuff that Mattycollector as a whole did. (back in the day of my "infamous" Battle Cat rant). Everyone assumed i was "done" with buying the stuff. That wasn't the case at all. I kept buying them. I always maintained that i loved the figures, just hated how the line was managed and such. I've kept my subscriptions all this time but usually sold the figures right away. I said that if they fixed some of the problems i saw, then i would be happy to review them again. It's taken a long time, but i'm happier with the progress made. That doesn't mean a lot of work isn't left to be done, but hopefully it works out.

A lot of people took my intentions the wrong way and put me in a certain light, which really did bug me. I know i'll still get flack from people for doing these again, but i know more people enjoy them than hate them.
    Paul, I was one of the people who gave you a lot of grief over your battle cat rant and others, but you have always been a good reviewer and I'm glad you're back doing MOTUC reviews.
    Making sure the vintage line is fully reproduced in the classics line

Positive trades; Nightcraw

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Thanks Dan. Really appreciate the welcome back. I've been still doing MOTUC off and on for a bit but haven't put them on here. I figured it couldn't hurt to do it again.
    Absolutely! The more the merrier! The QC and DR issues suck, but the figures are still great most all of the time, and deserve all the attention they can get!

That sucks about the weird foot thing on your Snake MAA, though. I've never had one like that. Good rocker joints on the feet would be such an improvement to the articulation on these guys. I love the rockers Hasbro uses, like on the recent Avengers movie figures. Those would be nice on MOTUC.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Release thy Griffin review!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

southern california...where the weather isn't all that hot...but the girls sure are :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    I was very happy to see you start doing MOTUC reviews again. I'll admit your Battle Cat rant video bothered me a bit when I watched it. I got screwed that same very month. Battle Cat and Trap Jaw sold out instantly. That was the only month I was there at 12pm on the dot and got screwed. For my birthday nonetheless. ****** me right off, but I was like...whatever, they'll eventually re-issue them again since they went that fast. I actually have patience when it comes to collecting these unlike most everything else that I have zero patience for. Anyways, I lol'd at your video and was like wow what's wrong with this dude. But then I read more of your posts and watched more of your videos and realized you weren't like that. It was just a knee jerk reaction. I was ****** initially myself. Trust me. Those were 2 important characters.

Anyways your video wasn't nothing compared to that other guy who got screwed that month. His "MATTYCOLLECTOR RANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" is still a youtube favorite of mine. I still watch it several years later if I need a laugh.

Great to have you back in the mix. You're reviews are really good and I look forward to hearing your opinion regularly. I watch anyone and everyone's MOTU review videos that I find and Pixel Dan's and yours are the absolute best. Keep up the great work, tissue paper or not!
    The fact you took the time to get to know me more after that video really says a lot about you. Thank you for that. I am VERY blunt and i do admit i am a bit of an "A" hole. I suffer from a serious lack of "brain/mouth filter", (as my wife likes to always inform me haha) and that gets me in a lot of trouble often. Looking back the "anger" i got was totally uncalled for. My point i think was still always valid, and had i did that video with less anger, i believe it would have been better. Touching a little on what Dan said, it basically comes down to the CS issues i have with Digital River now. That for me is one of the biggest offenders of this situation facing them. And all i can really fault Matty for, is sticking with them for this long....albeit they probably have a contract in place keeping them with DR. I've never swayed from the belief that the figures are outstanding. This is really one of the best collector lines out there. All that being said, i'm glad you watch and enjoy what i do. But are you sure you aren't just being nice to me cause i'm giving you that Slimer "thank you" thing? :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vid.tracey View Post
    Paul, I was one of the people who gave you a lot of grief over your battle cat rant and others, but you have always been a good reviewer and I'm glad you're back doing MOTUC reviews.

Thank you very much. I got my fair share of those sorts of people haha. But in all honesty, i got a lot of people that saw my point too...i just really blew it way out of proportion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pixel Dan View Post
    Absolutely! The more the merrier! The QC and DR issues suck, but the figures are still great most all of the time, and deserve all the attention they can get!

That sucks about the weird foot thing on your Snake MAA, though. I've never had one like that. Good rocker joints on the feet would be such an improvement to the articulation on these guys. I love the rockers Hasbro uses, like on the recent Avengers movie figures. Those would be nice on MOTUC.
    I haven't played with the new Hasbro figures that have that. I think in terms of articulation, it would be a step up if they fixed those joints a bit. I've never had one either that was totally locked into place such as the SMAA. They've always been perfect or too loose. So i guess i shouldn't complain much if it's locked into position. At least he'll stand haha

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Terry75 View Post
    Release thy Griffin review!

Uploading now

- - - Updated - - -

Griffin has been added to the original post

The fact you took the time to get to know me more after that video really says a lot about you. Thank you for that. I am VERY blunt and i do admit i am a bit of an "A" hole. I suffer from a serious lack of "brain/mouth filter", (as my wife likes to always inform me haha) and that gets me in a lot of trouble often. Looking back the "anger" i got was totally uncalled for. My point i think was still always valid, and had i did that video with less anger, i believe it would have been better. Touching a little on what Dan said, it basically comes down to the CS issues i have with Digital River now. That for me is one of the biggest offenders of this situation facing them. And all i can really fault Matty for, is sticking with them for this long....albeit they probably have a contract in place keeping them with DR. I've never swayed from the belief that the figures are outstanding. This is really one of the best collector lines out there. All that being said, i'm glad you watch and enjoy what i do. But are you sure you aren't just being nice to me cause i'm giving you that Slimer "thank you" thing? :P
    I was watching your videos, following you on Twitter, and listening to you and TFG1Mike long before that Slimer existed.

Another thing is there's room for all reviewers (especially GOOD ones). I know most reviewers feel MOTU is basically Pixel Dan territory, but that doesn't mean that nobody's watching anyone else's MOTU reviews. Everyone's got a different style, different personal taste when it comes to whatever characters/figures, etc... and that makes things a lot less boring.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

southern california...where the weather isn't all that hot...but the girls sure are :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    I was watching your videos, following you on Twitter, and listening to you and TFG1Mike long before that Slimer existed.

Another thing is there's room for all reviewers (especially GOOD ones). I know most reviewers feel MOTU is basically Pixel Dan territory, but that doesn't mean that nobody's watching anyone else's MOTU reviews. Everyone's got a different style, different personal taste when it comes to whatever characters/figures, etc... and that makes things a lot less boring.
    I agree and i welcome it. My "niche" isn't MOTU reviews. I know my fanbase and for the most part, it isn't MOTU. But it makes me feel good when i read comments from people that aren't interested in MOTU stuff really, actually enjoying the videos and wanting to pick the figures up. Makes me feel like i'm doing my "job" right haha

I agree and i welcome it. My "niche" isn't MOTU reviews. I know my fanbase and for the most part, it isn't MOTU. But it makes me feel good when i read comments from people that aren't interested in MOTU stuff really, actually enjoying the videos and wanting to pick the figures up. Makes me feel like i'm doing my "job" right haha
    Exactly. When you review MOTU stuff, you reach out to more, different types of fans. Transformers first and foremost type fans. That, I think is really awesome.

Also, you're a trooper for doing that Griffin review and being fair about it even though they sent you a ****ed up one. I give you props for that. You could have easily made a "MATTYCOLLECTOR RANT!!!!!!" type video but you played it cool. I hope you contacted them and they send you a new, good one soon.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

^^

I emailed them yesterday and i got a reply today. They said they're opening up a claim and i'll know more in 3-5 days. But i've heard that before, so we'll see.

Wow that Griffin leg is completely out of place!!! Swift Wind misplaced legs is nothing compared with this!!! Hope you can change it

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Scientist View Post
    Wow that Griffin leg is completely out of place!!! Swift Wind misplaced legs is nothing compared with this!!! Hope you can change it
    Well i emailed them. I got a reply today saying that a claim will be submitted. So we'll see what happens.

sweet reviews, sucks about the griffin front leg bein reversed
    www.nywcwrestling.com - Best Independent Wrestling on Long Island!

Want:
    SDCC Filmation Hordak w/ Imp and Treasure Chest Imp

Have:
    Goat Man, Loo-kee, and Kowl

I want meteorbs dang nabbit!!!

I added Mekaneck to the original post in this thread. Check it out and let me know what you think

- - - Updated - - -

Can i get a moderator to actually change the thread title to reflect my new review added?

This is EXACTLY why i hate this "system" that's in place. No one bothers to come in here and look when the title isn't something "new".

Me again!

The first post in this thread has been updated with my review of The Unnamed One

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    nice review: thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    nice review: thanks for sharing.
    Thank you

Heroic Warrior
    great uno review -

Know your toys
    WISHLIST: Lodar, Green and Purple demons, Gwildor, Blastar, Panther/Cat Men, Peekablue, Mermista, Prince Dakon, Tung Lashor, Rotar, Twistoid, Kayo, Vizar, Lizorr, Sagitar, Quakke, Mara (prototype), Lizard Man, Garth, Blackbeard, Gleedal, Gargons, Garn (mini-comic), Hawke, Fang-or, Great Black Wizard, Red Stripe, Granita, Brainwave, Contractor

Quote Originally Posted by Delthaindia View Post
    Know your toys
    Sorry that you didn't seem to enjoy the review because i have no clue who the character is. That didn't stop me from liking the toy however. I never make my reviews turn into history lessons anyhow. I make them about the figure i'm showing specifically. If you weren't able to watch it and use your own knowledge to fill in the blanks i had, that's your problem. I'm not going to sit around and hold the hands of my viewers. You should be able to watch the video and get the information you need...if you're coming to me for a background on the figure, i read the bio. That's the best i could do...sorry that wasn't good enough for you. But as i said, if it wasn't, that's your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Delthaindia View Post
    Know your toys
    I would imagine this tends to happen when toys are essentially gifted to you for review. I'm not saying that 'gifting' occurred here, but in principal I can see how this might happen. But part of the job of a professional reviewer should be to do at least the bare minimum homework to better understand who and what they are reviewing. Otherwise simply doing a run down on a figures finer points or snags is something nearly anyone with a youtube account and a video camera can do. The value add is in the reviewer not only doing that piece, but also knowing their stuff.

It's part of what annoys me about the literal explosion of youtube reviewers and pseudo internet personalities who get gifted toys for reviews. And lest I be accused of it I'm not jealous of the free toys btw. I barely have space for the stuff I legit purchase let alone make room for a stack of freebies! Anyway, sorry to use your thread for my rant Paul- your reviews tend to be of a better quality than most- but this 'syndrome' of reviewers only being half or not at all aware of what exactly it is they are reviewing is rampant these days.

And for the record Paul, you came across more than a bit heavy-handed in your reply to Delt. Isn't your job as a reviewer to "hold the hands" of your reviewees so that they understand what you're reviewing? If even just a bit? A didactic history lesson is I agree heavy handed and unnecessary, but walking a person through a bit of the finer points about UNO isn't a bad thing. Turning away reviewees by telling them they can look elsewhere if they don't like your stuff just comes across as about as unprofessional as one can get.
    Last edited by Stygian360; March 26, 2014 at 06:15pm.
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    I would imagine this tends to happen when toys are essentially gifted to you for review. I'm not saying that 'gifting' occurred here, but in principal I can see how this might happen. But part of the job of a professional reviewer should be to do at least the bare minimum homework to better understand who and what they are reviewing. Otherwise simply doing a run down on a figures finer points or snags is something nearly anyone with a youtube account and a video camera can do. The value add is in the reviewer not only doing that piece, but also knowing their stuff.

It's part of what annoys me about the literal explosion of youtube reviewers and pseudo internet personalities who get gifted toys for reviews. And lest I be accused of it I'm not jealous of the free toys btw. I barely have space for the stuff I legit purchase let alone make room for a stack of freebies! Anyway, sorry to use your thread for my rant Paul- your reviews tend to be of a better quality than most- but this 'syndrome' of reviewers only being half or not at all aware of what exactly it is they are reviewing is rampant these days.

And for the record Paul, you came across more than a bit heavy-handed in your reply to Delt. Isn't your job as a reviewer to "hold the hands" of your reviewees so that they understand what you're reviewing? If even just a bit? A didactic history lesson is I agree heavy handed and unnecessary, but walking a person through a bit of the finer points about UNO isn't a bad thing. Turning away reviewees by telling them they can look elsewhere if they don't like your stuff just comes across as about as unprofessional as one can get.
    Very well thought out response. What's funny about your message though, is it's a lot of assumption. I didn't get this for free. Would you like to see my receipt? Also, i don't know why it's any of your business at all, but i don't get the vast majority of my stuff for free. I've been doing this for almost 7 years (so your belief that i'm one of those people that are apart of that "explosion" is also rather pointless) and i can safely say that no more than 2 dozen things i've gotten have been for free. My job as a reviewer, from my perspective (and honestly that's all that matters because i'm the one that makes up my own job requirements), is to showcase the figure a customer will be buying. Not giving a history lesson on the figure. A history lesson that most people, including myself as i admitted, wasn't really even in existence until recently. I didn't feel the need to go into things further since i read the characters bio. If you watch any of my videos on a regular basis, i don't usually go into bios of characters. I occasionally interject some knowledge, but it's far from giving a background on the character.

Telling people they can go elsewhere to watch a video might seem unprofessional to you. But the bottom line is i'm not here to make everyone happy. If you don't like my videos..carry on and watch someone else. It's not me telling them to **** off and find someone else. It's i just simply do not care that they don't like my videos. I can't care about every single person that doesn't like my video. If i did that, i'd drive myself nuts trying to please everyone. If they're not liked, fine. Find someone else that you like watching and don't watch mine. It's not unprofessional though. It's simply being honest and telling the truth.

Telling people they can go elsewhere to watch a video might seem unprofessional to you. But the bottom line is i'm not here to make everyone happy. If you don't like my videos..carry on and watch someone else. It's not me telling them to **** off and find someone else. It's i just simply do not care that they don't like my videos. I can't care about every single person that doesn't like my video. If i did that, i'd drive myself nuts trying to please everyone. If they're not liked, fine. Find someone else that you like watching and don't watch mine. It's not unprofessional though. It's simply being honest and telling the truth.
    Ever heard the phrase, "the customer is always right", Paul? Whether or not you choose to paint a picture in your mind that makes everything said by your constituents invalid is entirely your choice, but it seems a shame. Maybe file it under constructive criticism?

to be fair, Dan doesnt give history lessons in his reviews either. that information is irrelevant to whether a toy is well made or not.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    I would imagine this tends to happen when toys are essentially gifted to you for review. I'm not saying that 'gifting' occurred here, but in principal I can see how this might happen. But part of the job of a professional reviewer should be to do at least the bare minimum homework to better understand who and what they are reviewing. Otherwise simply doing a run down on a figures finer points or snags is something nearly anyone with a youtube account and a video camera can do.
    I would actually disagree to some extent. Sure, anyone on youtube with a camera can make a basic review. I've seen some of them. There is a lot more about making a watchable review than the person's working knowledge of the subject matter. Clarity of speech, cohesion, charisma (to some extent), not stuttering or getting lost, and trying to appear somewhat objective or level-headed are all very important, and a lot harder than some people might think. I've seen reviews that were little more than either angry, biased fan rantings, or shallow fan gushing. I remember watching (well, skimming after a while) a 20 minute review of a figma figure that could have easily been cut down to 5 if the reviewer had bothered to structure things at all or given any forethought to what he was going to say, or if he just had enough experience or presence of mind to cut down on the dead space.

Another things I'd point out is that Pixel Dan's reviews seem to be widely regarded as pretty much the definitive MOTUC video reviews, and we all know that Dan knows his stuff. However, when watching his reviews I feel that he rarely bothers going much into depth on the character's history. With guys like Vikor and Vykron, I think he basically just mentions that they were concept art/prototypes, and that's about it. With controversial figures like Spector, he just mentions the controversy, but doesn't ever go into it. Most of his reviews are completely about the figure itself.

I actually liked Optibotimus' review, in that it looks to be coming from someone not completely enmeshed within the MOTU bubble. I think it can be refreshing at times to see someone's take who is a bit of an outsider, meaning his opinion is largely separated from all the hype and bias that's been going on about this figure. It seems to reinforce the idea that the figure itself is great, it's just the expectations of some hardcore fans that are the problem.

I will give you that his responses to you have seemed overly defensive though.

Quote Originally Posted by Freefall View Post
    I would actually disagree to some extent. *SNIP*
    Very good points all ---^ And please understand I wasn't lumping Paul into the category of unfocused nonsense jibberish videos. I was actually saying his videos are a step above this. I was merely trying to point out that this trend exists and it's icky.

But someone did point out Paul could have done his research and I backed them up. It's not always necessary or proper, but can help. Mostly it boils down to Paul's seeming nonchalance about feedback. Kind of an, '**** you' attitude if one were inclined to read between the lines. I'm not in favor of that. But this is all my two cents worth of opinion, so take it or leave it.